Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 19
Send Topic Print
Responses to Ofcom consultation hit 1,159 (Read 221,831 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: Read the public's 807 comments to Ofcom here..
Reply #165 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 3:11pm

Tanllan wrote on Dec 2nd, 2005 at 12:56pm:
But (or do I mean and?) FlexTel has been at it a long time; their comments about clarity being particularly relevant.
Their call for a review is timely, but proper control would have rendered such a review unnecessary...

OFTEL should have imposed the necessary clear NTS regulatory framework and price disclosure rules back in the late 1990s and it should have merely then been for Ofcom to maintain and enhance a well thought out NTS regulatory system.

So to be fair to Ofcom they did inherit a nightmare of legacy pro NTS abuse regulations from OFTEL but since then they have continued to fiddle while Rome burns by proposing entirely the wrong reforms and continuing to consult and consult instead of taking urgent remedial action.  Incredibly they even seem to think they need a consultation on whether those abusing NTS on 084/087 (especially mobile phone operators) should have to disclose their true call prices to the customer.  But what is their to consult on here?  It just needs the rules to be made.  Ofcom does not seem to perceive the massive harm that is done by it failing to act sufficiently quickly or vigorously on this matter or if it does perceive the harm then it is complicit with it.

If Ofcom were even vaguely competent 0871 and 0844 would now already be an 09 subspecies regulated by ICSTIS (or possibly a new lower rate NTS series starting 04 or 06 but still regulated by ICSTIS under possibly a slightly different set of Premium Rate regulations) and 0870 and 0845 would by now all have become priced at geographic call rates with any ISPs or customers abusing call centres moving to another number prefix where their receipt of NTS revenue share was made clear.  But instead Ofcom seemingly (judging from comments made at the meeting last Thursday) equates ending revenue share on 084 and 087 with ending all micro payment NTS services that the customer allegedly (according to Ofcom) wants and needs (if there are actually any genuine added value services on 084 and 087 numbers apart from internet dialup which I remain to be convinced of).  But if the customer actually wants and needs these services so badly then clearly he will still be prepared to pay for them even when there is no longer a deceipt about the true call cost to the customer involved.  But it is the ending of the deceipt about the true call costs being known to which Ofcom and many of the NTS abusers seem to object so strongly.

Unfortunately the people at Ofcom in charge of all this do not seem to be driven by principle to do what is the right thing and instead are driven only by cynical expediency to do what they think they can get away with but without causing too much upset to their powerful friends in the major uk telcos.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #166 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 8:23pm

Another good response from FleXtel (here) to the consultation on 070 Personal Numbers (PNs) which closed a few weeks ago. FleXtel was the only PN telco to respond to that consultation. BT also responded, but it does not provide any PNs.

It is critical of the regulator and points out that free markets only operate with price transparancy.

Responses to the PN consultation are here.
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2005 at 8:24pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Re: Read the public's 752 comments to Ofcom here..
Reply #167 - Dec 3rd, 2005 at 1:08am

Quote:
mc661 wrote on Dec 1st, 2005 at 9:34pm:
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/nts_forward/responses/sz/steve.pdf

This is actually my grandsons response, from his 'company'. Im still waiting for my response to be posted.

What's that 0871 number doing at the top of it?  Regardless of what your grandson may have thought since they have published his response in full it is other 0871 haters who might then have to call it.  It also seems particularly inappropriate to have listed the geographic number as +44 1553 and only for "Overseas" callers.

Dont have ago at me ok? I didnt write the response did I?
Now Ive decided not to frequent this site as much.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #168 - Dec 3rd, 2005 at 1:34am

mc661 wrote on Dec 3rd, 2005 at 1:08am:
I hope you will reconsider - your past contributions have been invaluable.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #169 - Dec 3rd, 2005 at 1:37am

There are additional responses listed today. I'm sure AJR will provide the list when he has time. There are also additional responses to the NTS info consultation since the last update by bbb_uk.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

kk

Reply #170 - Dec 3rd, 2005 at 2:12am

Flextel may describe “Say No to 0870" as "an anarchic web site" (at the end of the last page), but at least we are a voice supporting the consumer against the interest of Ofcom and other large telecom providers - we do think outside the box and (in the end) the general consensus of opinion is sound.

Flextel make some very good, well argued, points and are critical of Ofcom’s  “Ineffectual micro-regulation” they advocate a free market with full price transparence - and who could argue with that.

Unfortunately a free market can not operate effectively when consumers have little or no effective choice when telephoning:
Government Departments such as the DVLA ,  UK Passport, VAT, Tax etc 
Organisations with monopolistic or near monopolistic services
Doctor’s surgeries who start using NTS numbers.

An effective aid to price transparency is a pre announced massage as to the cost of a call, but this is of little comfort to a “locked in” consumer. It helps, but a simple price structure and the abolition of deliberate scams also helps.

All voice landline calls (mobile pricing is another problem and maybe a separate new section should be devoted to mobile pricing) should either be priced at the customer’s Normal Rate or, if not, then the call should be classed as a Premium Rate call, and placed in one identifiable category - the “09" section.  Either one or the other. It is the clandestine grey areas that cause the problem.

The Normal Rate (including Option 3 etc at 0p/min) should apply to ALL numbers that are not in the 09 premium range. If organisations or telecoms wish to have an extra slice of callers money they should flag this up clearly by placing the number in the 09 category.  What I object to is all the hybrid numbers (087x, 084x, 070 etc) that masquerade as normal, mobile, or so called , “local” or “national” cost numbers when they are nothing of the sort, and with the intent of deceiving the caller.

Ofcom have allowed this pricing mess to continue and have attempted to mask the failure by endless over complex consultations followed by ineffective action.

KK

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #171 - Dec 3rd, 2005 at 4:19am

Dont have ago at me ok? I didnt write the response did I?

mc661 it would be a shame to lose you from here over this one very small point.  It could of course well be that your grandson only used the 0871 number and listed the geographic number as only for overseas callers to make a point with Ofcom.  Obviously he would have expected them to remove addresses and phone numbers as they have usually done this in the past.

I fully accept you aren't directly responsible for the entirety of your grandson's submission.

But where is your submission mc661?  Is it perhaps one of the now numerous Name Withheld efforts? Wink

Still I have yet to send in my submission.  It was going to be earlier but what with the Ofcom Workshop and then other matters in life intervening for 3 to 4 days it has had to wait until the last moment.  There is nothing like a deadline to get you down to doing something.

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #172 - Dec 3rd, 2005 at 6:52am

mcc61, don't give up on this site, we need you.
NGM seems to have plenty time to post (and upset you), yet no time to report on the meeting that he attended - because he was a vociferous member of the site - over a week ago.  Do we not deserve some sort of report??  After all if this site did not have active membership would Ofcom even have invited him to to represent 'saynoto0870' at the workshop? Surely we are entitled to some feedback.
If NGM ever gets round to putting in a submission to Ofcom, I will be amazed, considering his lack of response to us - or is this part of what could be deception being perpetrated around the Ofcom issues?.

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #173 - Dec 3rd, 2005 at 9:40am

Quote:
I think Flextel's point was that it was illogical to just stop revenue share on 0870 and not do a wholesale proper reform of all NTS calls (which in their opinion and in mine also includes 070 and 09 calls too) so that callers always know what they are paying and there is proper price competition between different revenue share phone services.  I think Flextel also acknowledge that some 087 numbers merely extract revenue share from their callers without offering any value added service at all, and that this is wrong, whilst some other 087 operators do offer low cost value added services that would not exist as normal 01/02 calls.

Thanks very much for your comments, NGM.  I agree with what you're saying and also acknowledge that Flextel are striving to take a coherent approach to the matter.

I don't wish to go on, however, but I'm still struggling to get my head around their position.  Are we saying that its possible for all revenue sharing to move to 09 numbers AND for 0870 to be charged by TCPs at higher than geographic rates? (This is stated in Flextel's consultation response)  Perhaps my understanding is too simplistic but these two statements appear to be contradictory ?  Help! 
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2005 at 9:41am by gdh82 »  

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #174 - Dec 3rd, 2005 at 11:26am

idb wrote on Dec 3rd, 2005 at 1:37am:
There are additional responses listed today. I'm sure AJR will provide the list when he has time. There are also additional responses to the NTS info consultation since the last update by bbb_uk.
I've just updated the NTS & PRS info consultation here.

I have to say a big thank you for AJR's work as it is time-consuming especially for the main consultation which has over 800 responses.

idb wrote on Dec 3rd, 2005 at 1:34am:
I hope you will reconsider - your past contributions have been invaluable.
I totally agree.
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2005 at 11:28am by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

kk

Reply #175 - Dec 3rd, 2005 at 11:43am

Being insulted by NGM, appears par for the course.  But he, and any respondent, should be as tactful as possible.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Getting back to fundamentals:

Ofcom should stop micro managing things and produce a radical overhaul of the numbering and charging structure.

A caller should be faced with a simple and clear structure, all the hybrid and clandestine number that charge more than the customer Normal Rate ( 0p/min on Option 3 etc) should be moved to the “09" class of numbers.

If an organisation wishes to receive money from the caller, this should be done in an open manner.  Even if the organisation (or telecom provider) using the number only wishes to receive 1p/min from the caller, the number  should be placed in the 09 class.  The 09 range could have pre announced charges starting with 1p/min.

If an organisation wishes to have a number with special features or offer some sort of service, they should pay for them, if not, then the number should be placed in the 09 class, in that class the customer is aware that he will be paying extra (above his Normal Rate) - a simple system.

« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2005 at 12:16pm by kk »  

KK

IP Logged

drrdf2
Ex Member

Reply #176 - Dec 3rd, 2005 at 12:25pm

I entirely agree with you kk. I have stated exactly this in my responses to all the Ofcom consultations. There is no other approach which would be totally honest and clear to consumers.

IP Logged

AJR

Reply #177 - Dec 5th, 2005 at 10:09am

The total of responses has now reached 896. The new ones added on Friday (Dec 2) are listed below.

You can read the responses here: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/nts_forward/responses/

AIMS Accountants for Business  
Allingham Dr C  
Andrews P  
Armitage B D  
Arscott P  
Barraclough N  
Barton D  
Bateman J  
Beattie A  
Bickford P  
Birkin R  
Bleher Dr S M  
Boxall C  
Cambourne Travel Ltd  
Central Hertfordshire Consumer Group  
Coleman D  
Collier R  
Crow M  
Crowe B L  
Culley C  
Cupples J  
Damle R  
Dennison J  
Dovehouse Travel  
Duncan C  
Elston T M  
Firth R M  
Fraser D  
Fraser I  
Gardner D and H  
Gear M D S  
Gibbon B  
Giles D  
Harrigan E  
Herron M D  
Hollis R W  
Hooper J  
Howarth J  
Isaacs A  
Jackman M  
James B  
Jones E W  
Keane C  
Kearney M  
Kennedy M  
Knight J  
Lawless B  
Lewis-Cracknell E  
Littmoden R  
Marflow C  
Marsden S  
Miller R  
Name Withheld 124  
Name Withheld 125  
Name Withheld 126  
Name Withheld 127  
Name Withheld 128  
Name Withheld 129  
Name Withheld 130  
Name Withheld 131  
Name Withheld 132  
Name Withheld 133  
Name Withheld 134  
Name Withheld 135  
Name Withheld 136  
Name Withheld 137  
Name Withheld 138  
Name Withheld 139  
Name Withheld 140  
Name Withheld 141  
Name Withheld 142  
Name Withheld 143  
Name Withheld 144  
Nayyar N  
Patel M  
Rowlinson S  
Sands P  
Sawitz A  
Shale J  
Shepherd R  
Sliwka T  
Spence P  
Tan B  
Taylor J  
Telephone Helplines Association  
Walters K  
Watts A  
Webber D  
Wood I  
Worrell B  

IP Logged

AJR

Re: Read the public's 896 comments to Ofcom here..
Reply #178 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 1:26pm

The number of responses has now reached exactly 1,000! (on Dec 8, two days after the consultation closed). I seem to remember that there was some debate a few weeks ago on whether it could reach this number. I think this is probably far more than expected a couple of months ago.

There are 104 new submissions since the last list. These are set out below. Interesting to see Centrica (Onetel) among them, though I haven't noticed any other major operators yet. Presumably others have asked for their submissions to be kept confidential. Or perhaps they haven't been listed yet. Good to see that Centrica, at least, is willing to make its views known publicly.

You can read the responses here: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/nts_forward/responses/

Adams T  
Adams T  
Baruch P  
Biggs P  
Biggs P  
Bourne A B  
Bowker K  
Boyes J  
Bradbury J  
Bugg Dr C  
Caffrell R  
Canham J M  
Centrica  
Chamberlain B  
Communications Management Association  
Craig I  
Cranson D  
Currier Garry  
Davies G  
Davies J S  
Dixon C M  
Dunn J  
Dyas E  
Efford C  
Elston Fowey M  
Elston L  
Ewing D  
Fenton M and J  
Ferne A  
Foskett Powell Associates Ltd  
Hall G  
Hansson S  
Harris P  
Herd W  
Hooper R  
Horne D  
Jones S  
Khan M  
King J  
Lindley R  
Lloyds D W  
Mantel I  
Marcelli D  
Martin S M  
McCarthy C  
McCrutcheon C  
Metz R  
Name Withheld 146  
Name Withheld 147  
Name Withheld 148  
Name Withheld 149  
Name Withheld 150  
Name Withheld 151  
Name Withheld 152  
Name Withheld 153  
Name Withheld 154  
Name Withheld 155  
Name Withheld 156  
Name Withheld 157  
Name Withheld 158  
Name Withheld 160  
Name Withheld 161  
Name Withheld 162  
Name Withheld 163  
Name Withheld 164  
Name Withheld 165  
Name Withheld 166  
Name Withheld 167  
Name Withheld 168  
Name Withheld 169  
Name Withheld 170  
Name Withheld 171  
Name Withheld 172  
Nicol C G  
Noble M  
Osman M  
Pattison C  
Penney W  
Picken B J  
Pitts J  
Pugh L  
Rees J  
Rhodes M  
Robin Bloor Associates  
Robinson J  
Sage P  
Sawbridge J  
Simpson R  
Standen D  
Stewart I  
Strange S  
Taylor R  
Tegg C  
Titterington D  
Townsend P  
Van de Weil P  
Warman B  
Whiting G  
Williams C  
Williams C H  
Woodward I  
Woolley J  
WRL Consultancy Ltd  
Young A  

IP Logged

gdh82

Re: Read the public's 896 comments to Ofcom here..
Reply #179 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 1:36pm

AJR wrote on Dec 8th, 2005 at 1:26pm:
The number of responses has now reached exactly
1,000!
(on Dec 8, two days after the consultation closed).

Impressive number and equally impressive of you AJR in helping all of us keep track of the consultation responses!  I've appreciated your regular updates throughout the consulation period! 
Many thanks
Smiley

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 19
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, DaveM, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge