Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19
Send Topic Print
Responses to Ofcom consultation hit 1,159 (Read 221,845 times)
AJR

Re: Responses to Ofcom consultation hit 1,000
Reply #180 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 1:39pm

Amusing to read the following from Centrica :

"We fundamentally believe that the setting of retail call prices by originating networks must be left to competitive market forces, rather than constrained within a regulatory ‘straight-jacket’ that requires costly technical solutions to advise consumers of slight increases in call prices...

"Under Ofcom’s proposals for 0870 pricing, it is highly unlikely that any originating network will decide to charge above its national geographic call rate by any significant amount. To do so would place it in a negative retail position vis-à-vis its competitors, which would become transparent to consumers under the information provision requirements proposed."

(My italics.)

Translation: We don't think there should be a call charge announcement because consumers would notice that they are being charged vastly more in percentage terms for 0870 calls.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Read the public's 896 comments to Ofcom here..
Reply #181 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 2:31pm

AJR wrote on Dec 8th, 2005 at 1:26pm:
The number of responses has now reached exactly 1,000! (on Dec 8, two days after the consultation closed). I seem to remember that there was some debate a few weeks ago on whether it could reach this number. I think this is probably far more than expected a couple of months ago.

That's great news!  Grin

My response is not there yet. I e-mailed it a couple of minutes to 5pm, so hopefully it will appear soon. I e-mailed my response to the other consultation at the same time and that has appeared.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #182 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 12:10am

An excellent and well reasoned response from the CMA at
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/nts_forward/responses/af/cma.pdf

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #183 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 12:23am

AJR wrote on Dec 8th, 2005 at 1:26pm:
The number of responses has now reached exactly 1,000! (on Dec 8, two days after the consultation closed). I seem to remember that there was some debate a few weeks ago on whether it could reach this number. I think this is probably far more than expected a couple of months ago.
This is a major achievement. I was hoping for one thousand, and it will be more than that number (we're still awaiting NGM's effort and others - BT and the major suppliers, plus late submissions). It will be very difficult for Ofcom to ignore the overwhelming sentiment expressed in the responses as a whole (and I've read every one of them) that the public is fed up with the whole 084/087 scam. How it deals with this will be very interesting. Someone is bound to lose out - either the public or the NTS scammers. There really is little middle ground with this one. We have legalised extortion of the NTS rip-off merchants and the public demand for calls to banks costing less than calls to New Zealand. It's now time for the Ofcom execs to *earn* those six-figure salaries.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #184 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 11:47am

idb wrote on Dec 9th, 2005 at 12:10am:
An excellent and well reasoned response from the CMA at
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/nts_forward/responses/af/cma.pdf

I think I know someone in this forum who will be please to hear those comments. Wink

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #185 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 11:52am

idb wrote on Dec 9th, 2005 at 12:23am:
This is a major achievement. I was hoping for one thousand, and it will be more than that number (we're still awaiting NGM's effort and others - BT and the major suppliers, plus late submissions).

I'm still waiting for my response, BT's response and probably about 600 other responses to NTS Way Forward, submitted as the deadline closed, to be published.  The big question is whether we will achieve the most ever responses to an Ofcom consultation?  There were aparently about 1,500 responses to some rather controversial proposals on licenses for amateur radio enthusiasts.

My response to the More Information etc on 084/7 Numbers consultation has now been published.  I said the most important area for more info was calls from mobile phones.  I have a suspicion that Ofcom's More Information proposals don't even cover mobiles or for that matter BT Payphones? Shocked
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2005 at 12:15pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #186 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 12:08pm

Quote:
I'm still waiting for my response, BT's response and probably about 600 other responses to NTS Way Forward, submitted as the deadline closed, to be published.  The big question is whether we will achieve the most ever responses to an Ofcom consultation?  There were aparently about 1,500 responses to come rather controversial proposals on licenses for amateur radio enthusiasts.
Do you know whether those 1500 made any difference to Ofcom's proposals?
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2005 at 12:08pm by idb »  

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #187 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 12:22pm

Perhaps the persons that belittled my hopeless optimism about numbers and my opinions about the way to do things (even without my having expressed them), will now accept that 1000 submissions with a range of opinions are likely to be more effective than a limited number (under 100) of only the most militant.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #188 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 12:32pm

No I still disagree with you andy9 (as if that could ever be a surprise Roll Eyes).

Personally i think all the numbskulls who have just said Yes, Yes and Yes in their responses can be completely ignored as they haven't bothered to read the consultation document or do any work.  Also Ofcom's own questions were utterly meaningless due to not asking things like "should we move all revenue share numbers to 09", "should we move non geographic numbers charged at geographic rates to their own unique prefix - eg 03", "should 08 only in future be used for Freephone numbers".

I would only count the views of anyone who had bothered to pen at least a few sentences saying what they actually think about the matter, although I would of course not make it obligatory for everyone to come up with 15 pages as I and idb have done. Wink

Ofcom's questions were so rigged and so few in numbers (for the public in the Plain English Version) that answering those alone achieved nothing at all.  In fact I didn't answer the Ofcom NTS Way Forward questions to protest at the questions asked and especially the fact that completely different questions (with an odd question number sequence) were asked in the Plain English Version.
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2005 at 12:33pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

qtel

Reply #189 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 6:45pm

An excellent and well reasoned response from WRL Consultancy Ltd
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/nts_forward/responses/sz/wlr.pdf

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #190 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 6:59pm

qtel wrote on Dec 9th, 2005 at 6:45pm:
An excellent and well reasoned response from WRL Consultancy Ltd
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/nts_forward/responses/sz/wlr.pdf

You are joking right? Angry  Or more likely you work for this bunch of 0870 scamsters and having penned together this usual pathetic attempt to justify the unjusifiable you just couldn't resist wanting to bang the drum over these lies and mistruths.

1. If you wanted call redirection without paying for it but did not want revenue share you would have got an 0845 number which is at least the cheapest number you can get for callers without having to pay for the call redirection facilities yourselves.

2.  If you want call redirection facilities this is a service to your business and not your caller.  Your caller does not control where you direct the calls so he should not have to pay for it.  You should pay for it.

3.  Gives your company a national presence etc.  What utter garbage.  All of us here associate 0870 with ripoff commercial thugs who think about their profits first and customers last.  Most small companies who need to hide where they are really based through 0870 have something to hide about their business

4.  Your phone number will change again when Voip calling replaces PSTN.  Then you will have a name of some kind to contact you by voice and not a number.

5. Why do you make a post of this kind here.  I understand why you responded to Ofcom hoping you could go on getting service you should be paying for paid for by your customers who had been conned into believing it was BT National Rate when it isn't.  But to post here and draw attention to it.  Now that really does take stupidity.

I assume if someone told you that 2+2 was 7 that you would also believe that too without bothering to check the facts?

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #191 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 7:50pm

Quote:
No I still disagree with you andy9 (as if that could ever be a surprise Roll Eyes).

Personally i think all the numbskulls ...

Nevertheless NGM, unlike you, most people on this site and elsewhere have been pleased to see more responses, rather than your own self-elected elitism and persistent belittling of other viewpoints.

I also note other people complaining about you keeping to yourself much of the proceedings you attended, which information if given might have been useful for other people's submissions.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #192 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 8:09pm

andy9 wrote on Dec 9th, 2005 at 7:50pm:
Nevertheless NGM, unlike you, most people on this site and elsewhere have been pleased to see more responses, rather than your own self-elected elitism and persistent belittling of other viewpoints.

All the responses with that form that just say Yes, Yes, Yes are not at all helpful to our cause.  They just give Ofcom ammunition to go ahead with its current proposals to let all the current scams continue on either 0871 or 0844.  They will be used by Ofcom to say they have plenty of support for their proposals as they are, even though many of those questionnaires seem to have been sent in by people who visit this site for phone numbers who had neither the time or the intellectual capacity to comment on the matter in more detail.  Of course the delibately obscure and verbose nature of Ofcom's consultations did not assist this.

As for the comments in the second half of the above sentence all I can say is well talk about the "pot calling the kettle".  If anyone thinks he is an elite and spends his time belittling others it is you andy9.  Or should I say DaveM? Wink Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2005 at 8:10pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #193 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 8:12pm

andy9 logs off and DaveM logs on well what a coincidence. Wink

I see you have abandoned leaving several computers with all those main forum ids logged in at once though.  Bit of a giveaway wasn't it. Wink
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2005 at 8:13pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #194 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 8:16pm

I spoke too soon.  Dave, DaveM and Forum Admin are now all logged in simultaneously. Wink Roll Eyes Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge