Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19
Send Topic Print
Responses to Ofcom consultation hit 1,159 (Read 221,042 times)
dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Re: Read the public's 383 comments to Ofcom here..
Reply #60 - Nov 11th, 2005 at 9:42pm

Yes but hold on,

What "service"? This exactly what the scam is about.

We must re-emphasize until Kingdom Come - talking to other subscribers using the telephone IS NOT A SERVICE! It is what the telephone was invented for!

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #61 - Nov 11th, 2005 at 9:54pm

Quote:
In conditions nowadays when margins are even thinner in e.g. the travel industry, the small revenue shares available are barely sufficient to justify keeping helpdesks etc in operation. [b]It's my firm view that abolishing revenue share on existing 0870 numbers will have a direct impact on the viability of such businesses along with companies that are currently able to provide complete services on the back of National rate numbers

But nobody is asking them to give up revenue sharing if they feel their business really cannot work without it.

All we ask is that such companies are up front that there is an explicit revenue share in making a call by using an 09 number with clear announcements of how much per minute the call is costing.

What we do object to is the con that people like this gentleman rely on of people being misled that calling 0870 is the same price as calling their friend at home when this is defininitely not the case.

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Reply #62 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 1:42am

Do you know what I find so insulting and offensive about the sort of garbage peddled by Mr Nick Velissarides (see the comment to Ofcom a couple of posts back)? It is that somehow all these poor companies will go to the wall without the "revenue share" they collect from calls to a help desk. Well, Mr Velissarides, perhaps you could explain to me why virtually EVERY help-desk number here in the United Staes is 1-800. Free. Nothing. No cost. Nix. Do I hear bleating and whining from the companies here? Is the service any worse for the free calls. No - I tell you for nothing - it is generally a d**ned sight better than it EVER is in the UK!

Do I see revenue share numbers for help desks in Australia? No - usually 1300 - a REAL untimed local call charge no matter where it terminates - and no matter how long you are on the call. Do I see Australian companies going to the wall because they "only" charge a local call? Not on your life!! If the economy of Rip-Off Britian was one tenth as good as that of Australia, there would be parties in the streets of London!!

So get real, Mr Velissarides - and come clean! It's not the often paltry revenue share given to the end subscriber that you are worried about - it's the fact your dirty little scam has been rumbled, and you face an uncertain future. Well, rest assured - the regulator in the UK is so weak there are bound to be other unethical scams you can get your grubby hands into......
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2005 at 1:46am by mikeinnc »  

IP Logged

beginner

Reply #63 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 7:43am

Mr Velissarides says
"
In conclusion, I do not believe it is Ofcom's remit to decide how Telco's
distribute the profit they make from services that they provide to a public
that is (generally) completely happy to use them
."

Of course people are GENERALLY happy to use them- simply because they mainly do not KNOW the price they are paying, due to the scam this site is trying to publicise.  When enough consumers start to realise, see if they are happy, then, Mr V.!!

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #64 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 5:24pm

Re Nick Velissarides submission I actually agree with nearly all that he says, in particular the reason for the split usage between 0800, 0845 and 0870

BUT he misses the point that both Beginner and Non Geographic Man have so concisely identified. That is the majority of people don't actually realise what they are paying for by using 0870 or 0845 because it has been so well disguised by the use of terms like 'national' and 'local' and no price info provided.

Nick points out that consumers will punish those that abuse their use of these numbers. Normailly this is true but it won't in this case because the misinformation is so ingrained in the public mind. This is the classic requirement for a scam to work.

People who provide 0870 numbers know what they are doing and there are perfectly vaild reasons for doing so as Nick identified in his submission. In which case use 09 numbers. Those that are using them for legitimate reasons will come to no harm by doing so and scammers will be elliminated.

It is that simple isn't it?

People who provide 0845 numbers I believe generally do so for the reasons that Nick gives, like the Inland Revenue. At least anyway the call centre staff on the phone believe the caller is getting a cheap call. However as this number no longer gives any benefit and is generally more expensive than a geographic number then it should be removed or treated as a geographic number.

What is the point of an 0845 number that provides no benefit to the caller. Certainly a large number of the population incorrectly believe it does.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #65 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 6:08pm

I agree Keith.

Most companies/gov depts that use 0845 are doing so under the belief that they are doing us customers/consumers better value because they think that local and national are probably still two separate rates.

Those companies/gov departments that use 0870 for their "features" will probably remain on 0870 even if they are charged at geo rates.  Those that are after the money in return are, I believe, likely to move to an 0844 that costs 5p/min all the time.

The only difference maybe is that companies like Sky that are obviously using these numbers for revenue share they receive may (but not likely) still continue to use these numbers due to the cost of migrating to another number.  This is at least what ofcom have said will happen.  I believe though the likely thing is to move to 0844 costing 5ppm all the time.  This is likely to be chosen over 0845 for 2 reasons.  Obviously revenue share is higher on 0844 and that 0845 is going to be monitored and could also go back to geographical albeit in 2/3 years.  Sky trying to avoid the cost of migrating again are unlikely to use 0845 for this reason.  As yet ofcom are doing very little about 0844 except proposing to make clear the cost of these calls.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #66 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 5:17pm

But bbb_uk,

In your statement here you seem to be agreeing with Ofcom's proposal that 0844 should be charged at a Premium rate of 5 p per minute? I believe most of us on this forum do not agree that 0844 should be so charged, but that it should be charged at the same rate as a geographic number, at the rate for the intitiating telco for the call, (i.e. not BT's old rate or new rate).

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #67 - Nov 14th, 2005 at 11:23am

dorf wrote on Nov 13th, 2005 at 5:17pm:
In your statement here you seem to be agreeing with Ofcom's proposal that 0844 should be charged at a Premium rate of 5 p per minute?
I'm not agreeing that 0844 should be charged at 5ppm.  I said I believe that all these companies that say they are using 0870, etc for their features but in reality are using it for their revenue are going to migrate to an 0844 costing 5ppm.

I do not want 0844 to continue to have revenue sharing on them for the obvious reason is companies will just migrate but I do believe that ofcom are going to do nothing with these for the time being despite what we say.  Most responses so far have ignored the fact of 0844 and 0845.  To be honest even if all responses had mentioned 0844, I do believe that ofcom would still leave this alone.

IP Logged

Sonny

Reply #68 - Nov 14th, 2005 at 3:36pm

BTW, I notice that ofcom's list of responses does include 2 replies from the same person.

If people like Velissarides send these ill-judged posts to ofcom, surely it is perfectly reasonable for us SAYNOers to send second posts in our names to the Consultation site to answer the assertions he now makes.

We can't be sure that Velissarides or ofcom will come to this site to see what we think of his comments.

Sonny

IP Logged

AJR

Reply #69 - Nov 14th, 2005 at 4:16pm

There were 394 submissions on the Ofcom website at 4pm today (Nov 14), an increase of 11 since 3pm on Nov 11. The new ones are listed below.  

(And here's a reminder of where you can read the comments: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/nts_forward/responses/)

Boyle L
Clouter R
Deichmann Shoes UK Ltd
Donaldson I
Hodder N F
Name Withheld 19
Name Withheld 20
Name Withheld 21
Name Withheld 22
Shaw R
Walker I

IP Logged

beginner

Re: Read the public's 394 comments to Ofcom here..
Reply #70 - Nov 14th, 2005 at 10:53pm

I'm a bit confused, AJR, (nothing new there then!) as I can only see 8 'withhelds' on the response list.
How do you find the 22 ?
Well done for keeping track of the additions - very helpful when 'viewing' the new ones.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #71 - Nov 14th, 2005 at 11:13pm

Don't you just love the numerical order of the name withhelds under the above URL - (Tks for the posting AJR)?
Heaven help us with them in such control of numbering  Cry

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #72 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 8:22am

I can only see 8 with-held responses, too.
Can somebody tell me where the other 14 can be found?  Can find all the new responses, as per AJR list, but not the with-helds.

IP Logged

AJR

Reply #73 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 9:18am

Don't know why you can't see them. They're listed like this on the main page

Name and Address Withheld
Name Withheld 10
Name Withheld 11
Name Withheld 12
Name Withheld 13
Name Withheld 14
Name Withheld 15
Name Withheld 16
Name Withheld 17
Name Withheld 18
Name Withheld 19
Name Withheld 2
Name Withheld 20
Name Withheld 21
Name Withheld 22
Name Withheld 3
Name Withheld 4
Name Withheld 5
Name Withheld 6
Name Withheld 7
Name Withheld 8
Name Withheld 9

Are you using Internet Explorer? Maybe the page has not refreshed - try the refresh button or Ctrl+F5. Also, have a look at the Refresh settings. Click on Tools/Internet Options; select the General tab; under Temporary Internet Files click on the Settings button. If Check For New Versions is set to Automatically, you could change it to Every Time. Then you can be sure that you always get new content.

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #74 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 9:20am

On reading some of the responses I have been struck by ones similar to D. Pitts, where the answers simply say, "I agree, I agree, I........", to ALL the questions.  No comments , nothing other than "I agree" .
This smells.  How can anyone read this document and not have some qualms about something in there??  I think we should be prepared for an influx of 'sponsored' replies in full agreement - so that in their final analysis Ofcom will be able to say "x percentage agree with us, unconditionally."
It's a dirty commercail world out there.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge