Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Ofcom consultation - 070 acceptable use (Read 81,435 times)
idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Re: URGENT RESPONSE REQD Ofcom and 070/Patientline
Reply #15 - Nov 2nd, 2005 at 7:08pm

I don't think I posted this at the time I received it (I can't see it on my list of contributions) but apologies if it is a repeat. I wrote to Patientline back in March to complain about lack of international inbound access. I really didn't expect a response, so was surprised when I received the following on March 21, 2005:

<<
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to highlight to us your concerns about our service. Patientline is committed to providing first class customer care and welcome the chance to answer any queries our customers may have.

As our telephone service uses phone numbers that are prefixed by '070' it is sometimes difficult for an overseas operator to recognise these as a range of active numbers.   There are cases where some customers have '07' numbers ranges barred from use but more often than not the problem lies with the fact that International operators are not obliged to enable the number range we have circulated and some do not have agreements with British Telecom, in these instances calls will not be connected.

Our only recommendation to bypass this situation which we accept is not ideal, is that the International caller phones 0044 208 235 0918, and pays for telephone time by credit card on behalf of the patient, we can then ask the patient to call out to the International numbers which we do enable on our system.  You can also l contact the nurses station via the hospital switchboard as has always been the case.

I fully appreciate the frustration this may cause and as a company we continue to encourage all telephone companies to enable calls to our 07 number range.   

Thank you for raising this matter with us and I hope that this has answered your queries.
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #16 - Nov 2nd, 2005 at 7:33pm

The unbelievable arrogance of these people! "Our only recommendation to bypass this situation which we accept is not ideal, is that the International caller phones 0044 208 235 0918, and pays for telephone time by credit card on behalf of the patient, we can then ask the patient to call out to the International numbers...."

They just clearly believe that ill or injured victims in hospitals are there to be exploited, which I suppose is bolstered by the attitude and inaction of Ofcom. Have they stopped to consider that many patients in hospitals for some while have not been able to work and may be in financial difficulties enough, without spending money at exhorbitant rates on telephone calls. Presumably once the patient has called the international number the rates payable by the caller on their credit are in danger of seriously diminishing their wealth? These people clearly have no moral scruples whatever.
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2005 at 7:37pm by dorf »  

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #17 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 3:09am

As well as emailing those mentioned by NGM (post #7), also email the following Newspapers (maybe best to bcc these) and highlight Ofcom's despicable decision to allow this to continue, how the consultation doesn't have a plain english summary so in its current form actually just confuses consumers and to hurry it through so no one can respond:

EDPNewsdesk@archant.co.uk
EDPEditor@archant.co.uk
newseditor@independent.co.uk
businessnews@independent.co.uk
news@timesonline.co.uk
online.editor@timesonline.co.uk
tim.richardson@theregister.co.uk
press.releases@theregister.co.uk
stephen.moyes@mirror.co.uk;
david.derbyshire@telegraph.co.uk;
panorama@bbc.co.uk;
jessica.bown@sunday-times.co.uk;
dennis.rice@mailonsunday.co.uk;
jeff.prestridge@mailonsunday.co.uk;
oliver.lloyd@mailonsunday.co.uk; sean.poulter@dailymail.co.uk;
watchdog@bbc.co.uk

Feel free to add any I've missed.
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2005 at 3:11am by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #18 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 1:47pm

Having emailed Ofcom a view days ago regarding this issue, I've received the reply quoted below.

All it seems to be saying is that their 070 consulation does not have any direct effect on paitentline's excessively expensive plans.  Surely  this is precisely  the problem - that we want Ofcom to tackle this rip-off?  Anyway, I'll post this for the more experienced users of the site to consider.

Quote:
Dear Gdh82,

Thanks for your email, which Vicki Nash passed on to me for action. I attach
below the text of a longer email explaining the detail of the various
consultations and investigations. In summary, I am happy to reassure you that
the proposed changes to the 070 guidance do not have any direct effect on the
questions related to pricing of calls to hospital patients. I hope this
addresses your concerns.

Regards,

David Stewart

[attached text follows:]

Dear Sir,

I refer to your earlier note to Vicki Nash, who suggested I reply directly.

In summary, I am afraid there may be a misunderstanding here - the consultation
you refer to doesn't have any connection to any investigation, open or closed,
involving Patientline or any other provider of calls to hospital patients. My
apologies for the length of this note but I thought you might find it helpful to
have the situation set out clearly.

In fact, the commentary in our guidance on 070 services for calls to hospital
patients remains unchanged in the revised guidance.

For example, you can see the old (Jan 04) text here:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi/numbers/num_070_guide#content

If you compare the text of the bullet point in relation to calls to hospital
patients in the old and new versions, you can see that it has not changed. This
reflects Ofcom's view about the appropriate use of 070 numbers for calls to
hospital patients; this is separate (in Ofcom's view) from the question of the
prices charged for those services.

The reason for the new 070 consultation is (as we said at the time) to adjust
our guidance to give clarity on an issue about the role of service providers and
their responsibilities to take reasonable steps to ensure that their customers
are using numbers in ways that are consistent with the Numbering Plan. That
objective, and the context to it, are set out on our website here:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/personal_numbering/#content

To put this in context, this constitutes a minor adjustment, adding text on an
issue about which the guidance has previously simply been silent. This guidance
explains Ofcom's approach, but doesn't directly affect the legal rights or
obligations of any person; those remain as set out in the Numbering Plan and
number allocations. There is no statutory requirement for consultation under
those circumstances. As you know, Ofcom is committed to transparency and to
consulting above and beyond our formal requirements, and therefore, Ofcom
elected to conduct a short consultation in any event. (Any contribution you wish
to make to that consultation would be welcome). 

Finally, I note that there are two different investigations involving
Patientline and it isn't clear which one you intended to refer to:

The first investigation concerns Patientline's conduct in relation to
Competition Act issues (which is considering, amongst other things, the question
of whether the 50p constitutes excessive pricing under competition law). This
investigation is on-going. As with any open investigation, we have no public
comment other than via our Competition Bulletin, available here:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/bulletins/comp_bull_index/comp_bull_ocases/open_all/cw_8...

The second investigation concerned the use by Patientline of 070 services via a
switchboard. That investigation has now closed. It resulted in our determining
that the use of such services via a switchboard was inappropriate (a conclusion
which is obviously consistent with both the old and new 070 guidance). This was
not related in any way to the question of the pricing for incoming (or outgoing)
calls - it related simply and exclusively to the use of PINs or switchboards,
which we viewed as inconsistent with the requirement for callers to be able to
dial directly the person using the 070 number.

The outcome of that investigation was that Ofcom issued a s.94 notice to
Patientline requiring them to use 070 numbers in line with our guidance. The
recent decision to grant Patientline an extension to the time to comply with
this requirement (in a small proportion of the sites) was not related to, and
does not affect, the first investigation or Patientline's pricing for any
services. Details concerning this investigation, together with the s.94 notice,
can be found here:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/bulletins/comp_bull_index/comp_bull_ccases/closed_all/cw...      

I trust that this provides you with a clear picture of these various activities
and the reasons for them. Thanks for the opportunity to clarify the situation.

Regards,

David Stewart

Director of Investigations

[ends]

« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2005 at 1:49pm by gdh82 »  

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 2:12pm

It seems that this consultation may in fact all be about stopping revenue sharing on 070 numbers to the person who receives the call on the 070 number (eg the patient in the hospital).

Its seemingly all to do with changing General Condition 17.8 of the National Numbering Scheme as far as I can tell but the General Conditions aren't listed with the Consulation.

But then again why does this consultation have "Annex 4 Proposed Revised Guidance" containing the 070 hospital line stuff if nothing in those conditions is in fact changed due to this consultation, as David Stewart maintains, as that was all apparently changed back in January to slip in the clauses letting Patientline go on 070 scamming so long as they provided each patient with a direct dial number to the bedside.

Its all a bit like a Chinese puzzle really.

Answers on an electronic postcard to ruth.gibson@ofcom.org.uk

This is clearly one of those consultations that Ofcom only expected to be responded to by those in the industry they had tipped off about it and that must be why it has been written so no one else can possibly understand it.  That must be why they are trying to shuffle it through in 13 days so that only those they have tipped off to respond do respond. Roll Eyes Shocked

Personally I can't see why the 070 number end user shouldn't revenue share?  For instance if Patientline customers got 15p a minute back then at least they could afford to buy their relations who have had to call them a drink when they get out of hospital.

However since the consultation does include the Annex containing the full revised guidance there is still nothing to stop us responding saying we don't think Patientline should be allowed to use 070 for revenue sharing at 49p per minute because the hospital patient doesn't seem to be able to point the number anywhere else after he leaves hospital so the numbers aren't truly under the control of the person receiving the calls as is required for all legitimate 070 use.  And we think it is wrong this condition has been varied by Ofcom against the original sprit of 070 use.

The fact that in fact one can also redirect an 0845 or 0870 number under the control of the person that the calls are routed to seems to rather escape Ofcom!  If they analysed it all further they would see there is no need for and no justification for 070 PNS numbers to exist.  Practically all 070 numbers are in fact used as a form of premium rate revenue share scam masquerading as a mobile number which most callers believe 070 to be.
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2005 at 2:39pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #20 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 2:13pm

SNAP !!
I got exactly the same email, a couple of days ago, in response to my mailing Vicky nash etc.
And it came back so quickly, I knew it was a 'round-robin'.

« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2005 at 2:14pm by firestop »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #21 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 2:36pm

Quote:
But then again why does this consultation have "Annex 4 Proposed Revised Guidance" containing the 070 hospital line stuff if nothing in those conditions is in fact changes due to this consultation, as David Stewart maintains....

But, as he says, it's a straight copy of Ofcom's guidance on the use of 070 numbers.

The 070 guidelines were updated on 24 January 2004 btw, not this year.

As I said, gradual changes are allowed to be made.
Quote:
Recent examples of services that may not fit the traditional mode of Personal Numbering, but which Ofcom considers to be legitimate Personal Numbering Services include:....

So does this mean that any companies who want to operate 'services' which don't fit the "traditional mode" start their service first and then find out whether Ofcom will "consider it to be [a] legitimate Personal Numbering Service".

With "Light touch," regulation how is Ofcom going to stop a company using numbers 'incorrectly'. It is allowing them to push the boundaries further and further.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 2:42pm

Quote:
So does this mean that any companies who want to operate 'services' which don't fit the "traditional mode" start their service first and then find out whether Ofcom will "consider it to be [a] legitimate Personal Numbering Service".

Dave,

Surely you know by now that Ofcom always merely writes regulations to legalise what the telecoms companies are already doing unless a telecoms company who isn't part of the cosy Ofcom cartel decides to do something that the telcos at large don't approve of. Roll Eyes

It is what the majority of telcos want that determines what rules get made by Ofcom.  As for the uk citizen and consumer well sadly they don't seem to get much of a look in! Shocked

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #23 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 3:43pm

NGM, re your earlier comment concerning revenue sharing with the terminating subscriber on 070 PNS: I understood that revenue sharing with the terminating subscriber had been banned (only temporarily) with 070 PNS by Oftel some while ago. So I don't think it would be possible for any patient to have a share? In any case I don't believe that the rip-off companies like Patientline would want to share their ill-gotten gains. They want all the revenue they can get.

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #24 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 3:50pm

Quote:
NGM, re your earlier comment concerning revenue sharing with the terminating subscriber on 070 PNS: I understood that revenue sharing with the terminating subscriber had been banned (only temporarily) with 070 PNS by Oftel some while ago. So I don't think it would be possible for any patient to have a share? In any case I don't believe that the rip-off companies like Patientline would want to share their ill-gotten gains. They want all the revenue they can get.

But how can the patient be the "end-user" as they are not "in charge" of the number? It is Patientline who is incharge and who sets the where the number goes! But they receive revenue!

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 4:00pm

Quote:
But how can the patient be the "end-user" as they are not "in charge" of the number? It is Patientline who is incharge and who sets the where the number goes! But they receive revenue!

Presumably Patientline could provide a service to allow the hospital patient number to be redirected elsewhere once the patient has left hospital.  They should have a more or less infinite stock of 070 PNS numbers available to issue.

Of course no patient will probably actually use the facility to direct calls elsewhere but its very existence would I suspect make Patientline legal.  Also I suppose Patientline might offer to redirect the 070 number to your home number when you leave hospital and then if some of your friends don't realise you are back at home Patientline then go on clocking up 50p a minute and you the ex patient will have no way of knowing the call was going via the 070 number instead of being dialled direct.

Although bearing in mind how expensive 070 is I expect that once most callers had found you were now back at home they would want to redial you on your normal number.  But there again there does seem to be a healthy market in people who do let directory enquiries put them through to their destination number at 50p per minute.  As the old saying goes.  There's one born every minute. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #26 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 5:21pm

Quote:
Of course no patient will probably actually use the facility to direct calls elsewhere but its very existence would I suspect make Patientline legal.  Also I suppose Patientline might offer to redirect the 070 number to your home number when you leave hospital and then if some of your friends don't realise you are back at home Patientline then go on clocking up 50p a minute and you the ex patient will have no way of knowing the call was going via the 070 number instead of being dialled direct.

But surely we also want the free pre-connection announcement of the charge. 18866 do it...   Smiley

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 5:35pm

Quote:
But surely we also want the free pre-connection announcement of the charge. 18866 do it...   Smiley

But as we know other Telcos can't afford to do it.  Even when they are charging 49p per minute. Roll Eyes

The whole point of 07 numbers in fact seems be to run a premium rate service whilst dodging using an 09 number controlled by ICSTIS.  Angry

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #28 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 5:41pm

Quote:
The whole point of 07 numbers in fact seems be to run a premium rate service whilst dodging using an 09 number controlled by ICSTIS.  Angry

...and how will the telcos that run university accommodation phone systems generate 'revenue' to 'pay for' their 'systems' if revenue sharing is done away with on 0870? Answer: with these 070 personal numbers. Of course, when they do this they'll be free to charge whatever they want or can get away with.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #29 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 5:45pm

Quote:
But as we know other Telcos can't afford to do it.  Even when they are charging 49p per minute. Roll Eyes

The whole point of 07 numbers in fact seems be to run a premium rate service whilst dodging using an 09 number controlled by ICSTIS.  Angry

No we don't know that. An effective regulator could require such a thing where citizen-consumers risk abusive business practices  Grin
OK, we laugh, but that is the answer. Or else forbid such scams - even in rip-off Britain.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge