Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Ofcom consultation - 070 acceptable use (Read 81,508 times)
drrdf3
Ex Member

Re: URGENT RESPONSE REQD Ofcom and 070/Patientline
Reply #45 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 11:31am

Hi Dave, It seems I made a mistake in that because the reference should have been to Page 12. which is “070 numbers allocated to hospital patients so that they can have their own number for the duration of their stay (but not where a generic 070 number is used that requires further PINs – see paragraph 15 below).”

I just copied the reference to Page 14 from the original statement in this topic which it seems was wrong.

Hi NonGeographicalMan, I did in fact register originally back in June 2003, but I lost my password and then the e-mail address which I had used became defunct. So I could not retrieve my password and I then re-registered as drrdf3. I have followed the arguments closely on this forum, although I have not contributed much. I am a firm supporter of the campaign to have these rip-offs stopped though and have responded to Ofcom's consultations.

As you say the position and stance of Ofcom is unbelievable. The biggest problem I feel is that every time they do something like this to increase the number of opportunities for rip-offs they just change the Plan to allow all the new ones thereafter.

I feel that even if Ofcom have already agreed to this scam they should now in this consultation use their regulatory powers and put an end to present and future rip-offs with 070s.

drrdf3
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2005 at 11:31am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #46 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 12:11pm

The document uses page twelve when printed, but is page 14 when using the pdf paging.
Hence my use of page twelve and the reference to page zero - and the comment about numbering  Wink

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 12:13pm

Quote:
I feel that even if Ofcom have already agreed to this scam they should now in this consultation use their regulatory powers and put an end to present and future rip-offs with 070s.

drrdf3

Hi drrdf,

Its good to hear you have in fact been following the forum for a while.  What was your original user name?  I would have thought Dave or Daniel (admin) could have readvised the password if you had asked them.  Although I suppose we have to guard against the opposition who would no doubt be very happy to delete my membership of the forum and all my posts. Shocked

As to the current 070 Ofcom consultation they have put all the guidelines in it and not just listed the change highlighted and thus clearly it is possible to comment on the whole lot since they interact and operate together as one logical set.  Also why weren't these issues consulted on together with 084/7 and 09 numbers as one complete consultation document on NTS.  Instead Ofcom have three separate consultations.  Divide and rule as usual it seems.

A key thing to comment on is how they can allow 070 use by Patientline when it doesn't seem that any Patientline customer will be using a hunt group of numbers to find one that they answer on.  Surely one of the key characteristics of a personal number.

It seems to me we could respond saying that if they allow Patientline to use 070 then why are they not allowing student acommodation operators to use 070 since as students have mobiles a number which hunted first on their student landline and then on their mobile and then even to their home number at their parents address could be very handy for them.

Not that we want students relatives to be charged 50p per minute but as Ofcom couldn't possibly allow this it will draw attention to the logical inconsistency of their own PNS Guidelines and hopefully make them back track on allowing 070 for Patientline (there again pigs might fly since we know that signing off the existing abuses of their telecoms industry chums seems to be standard Ofcom practice).

I have now asked Vikki Nash what is the Ofcom process for making a formal complaint about the 14 day consultation period compared to the usual 10 weeks.  Meanwhile we must all respond to this consultation opposing the inappropriate use of 070 for hospital patients on a fixed line by next Tuesday 8th November.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #48 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 1:12pm

Quote:
It seems I made a mistake in that because the reference should have been to Page 12.

It seems as though Ofcom can't get someone who can produce PDF files correctly. The other consultations vary between whether contents are page 1 or whether the summary starts page 1. The page numbers are in the centre on the 070 consultation.

On the PRS Information consultation, even numbers are left justified and odd numbers are right justified. Thing is, I've printed it book style on my printer and the odd pages are on the left and the even pages are on the right, so the numbering is now next to the centre binding rather than at the edges of the pages! ???

Anyway, to stop rambling and get back to the topic at hand...

Quote:
It seems to me we could respond saying that if they allow Patientline to use 070 then why are they not allowing student acommodation operators to use 070 since as students have mobiles a number which hunted first on their student landline and then on their mobile and then even to their home number at their parents address could be very handy for them.

I think that we should avoid any reference to the company/system Patientline. Just keep it in general terms, ie "070 number allocated to hospital patients" as that is what Ofcom has referred to in its example list of suitable uses.

A hospital patient may have his own PN, does this mean that they can have this pointed to the bedside phone? I somehow doubt it!

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 1:22pm

Quote:
I think that we should avoid any reference to the company/system Patientline. Just keep it in general terms, ie "070 number allocated to hospital patients" as that is what Ofcom has referred to in its example list of suitable uses.

A hospital patient may have his own PN, does this mean that they can have this pointed to the bedside phone? I somehow doubt it!

You are right Dave.

So the comparison should just be why can hospital phone service operators provide their direct dial services to the bedside use PNS while student phone service operators to the room cannot and instead have to use Special Services numbers (viz 0845, 0844, 0870 and 0871).  Bearing in mind that the technological formats of the two types of phone system seem to be virtually identical.

Not of course that we want to see PNS used for students you will understand but rather to demonstrate just why Ofcom cannot justify PNS use for hospital patient phone services.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #50 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 1:26pm

Quote:
So the comparison should just be why can hospital phone service operators provide their direct dial services to the bedside use PNS while student phone service operators to the room cannot ...

Where does it state that the student accommodation phones cannot use 070 numbers?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 1:33pm

Quote:
Where does it state that the student accommodation phones cannot use 070 numbers?

Because the Ofcom PNS guidance doesn't make a special provision for student room phone services to now be allowed for PNS.

But this exception has now been made by Ofcom to allow 070 for hospital patient services.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #52 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 1:48pm

Quote:
Because the Ofcom PNS guidance doesn't make a special provision for student room phone services to now be allowed for PNS.

Yes, but it doesn't make a point of saying that they cannot be used for such purposes.

The guidelines state:
Quote:
Recent examples of services that may not fit the traditional mode of Personal Numbering, but which Ofcom considers to be legitimate Personal Numbering Services include:
• 070 numbers allocated to users of Internet chat rooms who want to talk to new acquaintances without divulging their real phone numbers;
• 070 numbers allocated solely for the purpose of selling, eg, a car through a magazine; and
• 070 numbers allocated to hospital patients so that they can have their own number for the duration of their stay (but not where a generic 070 number is used that requires further PINs – see para 14 below).

So these aren't ("may not") be traditional uses, but Ofcom has allowed them. Do you think that the last one about hospital systems appeared on the list before such systems appeared in hospitals?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 2:05pm

Quote:
Do you think that the last one about hospital systems appeared on the list before such systems appeared in hospitals?  Roll Eyes

I take your point Dave but I think Ofcom know they couldn't get away with making students relatives pay 50p per minute for 3 years!

Ofcom seem to think this scam can be allowed to work with Patientline though because most people are only in hospital for a few days or weeks.  And I expect Mr Derek Lewis has lots of important contacts with the right government ministers and senior staff at Ofcom whereas DognBone possibly do not. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #54 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 2:22pm

Quote:
... I think Ofcom know they couldn't get away with making students relatives pay 50p per minute for 3 years!

Granted NGM. But that doesn't mean that they can't charge less. They could have an 070 which charges the same as the current 0870. I don't know whether the revenue will be the same, but I guess it mustn't be far off. They could of course push up the price a bit, say to 10p/min. To do that now, they would have to go to 0871.

That said, at present, they probably hide behind the 'national rate' lie.

Quote:
Ofcom seem to think this scam can be allowed to work with Patientline though because most people are only in hospital for a few days or weeks.  ....

That's the cost of the call and not the number prefix that they have been investigated for, is it not?

The other investigation was/is to do with whether Patientline could use 070 as non-DDI numbers, which they cannot.

Patientline use of 070 numbers was categorically 'accepted' when Ofcom revised its guidelines. According to Mr Stewart's email to drrdf, they don't have to consult on such changes.

My understanding of this is taken from what Ive observed on this forum, so if you know different, let us know.

Does this make sense?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #55 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 5:32pm

Further to my previous post, the hospital system example is in an uncompetitive environment. As there are many different rates (what Ofcom refer to as 'pricing points') for 070 numbers, there needs to be some 'market forces' to drive down these prices. I ask Ofcom, where are they in this example?

Perhaps Ofcom hopes that the NHS will be privatised and that we will all be given some "choice" of which hospital we go to. That way, should we be struck down with some illness, we can elect which hospital we would "like" to go, based on the "services" it provides, including whether friends and relatives can ring us at a cheaper rate.  Roll Eyes

Also, by putting Patientline-type systems on the list of acceptable uses, by definition, permits them to charge upto 50p/min, unless there are rules that state otherwise. So pricing is relevant wherever there is the question of extending legitimate uses of 070.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #56 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 6:02pm

Exactly Dave. That is the key issue in the end.

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #57 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 6:25pm

Quote:
So pricing is relevant wherever there is the question of extending legitimate uses of 070.   Roll Eyes

Assuming there are any legitimate uses of 070 in the first place given that 0871 seems to be able to do all of the same jobs.  The only reason people use 070 is to get a higher rate per minute.  It is also favoured by abusers like Retainacar who use it for their customer call centre which is clearly only based in one place.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #58 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 3:09am

Quote:
...The reason I brought the discussion on personal numbers over here is because, IMO, Ofcom are allowing the boundaries of what it can't be used for to be eroded.
I agree.  Patientline are using the 07 personal range numbers as a premium rate number to gain revenue but by doing this on 07 personal number range means that they avoid the protection/guidelines of coming under the remit of ICSTIS.

If Ofcom allow the patientline or any other company to continue this then nothing is stopping other companies that currently operate premium rate numbers or are thinking of using a premium rate number to use the 07x number range to gain the revenue but avoid coming under the remit and added protection from the ICSTIS.

Plus having an 07x personal number to most people just looks like a normal mobile number so most people would think that the call would be included in their inclusive anynetwork minutes they may have.

The goalposts keep getting wider and wider and is therefore open to more abuse from companies wanting to make extra revenue without being subject to strict ICSTIS guidelines which are there for our protection from abuse.

Normally a personal range 07 number doesn't have revenue sharing associated with it but it obviously must have otherwise Patientline wouldn't use it.  I also believe that Vodafone used a personal range number a while ago (not sure about now though) for their contact number.

I realise patientline want to make some money back on what it cost them for the units, etc but if they want to continue revenue sharing then they should could choose an 0871 number or something.  This is a lot cheaper than their current rip-off 50ppm number.

If patientline were to use this number range then they would probably get more people ringing the number and for longer.  They (patientline) could then advertise this by saying something like, "A new lower cost contact number costing only 10ppm so now you can talk longer"

Right now they do have monopoly over calling patients inside hospitals and therefore it is definitely anti-competitive and should be investigated by ofcom (instead of brushed under the carpet) and OfT (if its within their remit).  Any company that has a monopoly is unfair/uncompetitive and regulation needs to be in force to protect against abuse.

(I continued this over on this thread to save it from becoming too much related to the 07/patientline issues although I agree it was worth mentioning on the other thread)
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2005 at 3:23am by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #59 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 10:07am

And I think that all such revenue sharing, even if "notional revenue sharing" as here, should be behind 09 and subject to control. That is what 09 was for in the new numbering plan.
That and protection for the citizen-consumer.
Now off to look for a flying-pig smiley.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge