Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
How Can We Improve SayNoTo0870 - Part2 (Read 193,431 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: How Can We Improve SayNoTo0870 - Part2
Reply #105 - May 6th, 2011 at 12:37pm

Andrew_S_Hatton wrote on May 6th, 2011 at 10:52am:
My experience of using site today - not a complaint.

I found information I needed via a message about an unverified number and in an effort to help, wanted to confirm the information in the message.

I followed instructions, was directed to 'contact us' link and duly completed web based form to only then see the advice about posting info into Forum.

Time was short I was not then going to redo my message however if initially I had been directed to login page on forum as an alternative to the web based contact form, I would have used the forum instead.

Maybe I miss read something, that is very possible, I am not going to join in a debate about this and do not need a response, but if my report is of use - good - if not - sorry - please disregard it.

I wish to acknowledge the point you've raised, although there is nothing I can do about it.

I have pointed out shortcomings like this to site admin many many times. As I am not involved in the operational side of the site, I cannot do anything to change this.

I always encourage users to join the forum and post about updates, additions and removals to/from the database that are found to be necessary. Entries submitted using the Add form will be likely to stay unverified.

Whilst in no way the only shortcoming, the fact that entries are submitted anonymously, means that all must be verified as we have no idea who added them. Updates that are submitted as new (unverified) entries will be at the bottom of the listings, so users will still see the old/wrong number first, and I guess they will try it.

If you don't wish to post publically, you can always e-mail me, dave {at} saynoto0870 {dot} com, although posting in the forum puts your comments on public record which might be useful at a later date should that number stop working for whatever reason.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
A different way to search for a number
Reply #106 - May 6th, 2011 at 2:02pm

I use the site all the time but have become tired of having to use the Edit, Find function of my browser to locate the local branch of a large chain I am looking for.

So I tried a new tack this morning and, instead of entering the name of the firm (it was Halifax actually) in the Please enter a Company Name to search for box, I entered the town (in this case, it was Colchester).

That showed me a list (in alphabetical order by firms' names) of details of all database entries which include the word Colchester - and enabled me to quickly scroll down to check the H's in the Verified and then the H's in the Unverified listings.

As it happens, the Unverified lisiting showed the correct geograpical number and, after use, I used the Contact Us form to send verification.
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2011 at 2:38pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: A different way to search for a number
Reply #107 - May 6th, 2011 at 3:38pm

Heinz wrote on May 6th, 2011 at 2:02pm:
I use the site all the time but have become tired of having to use the Edit, Find function of my browser to locate the local branch of a large chain I am looking for.

I use Firefox and to search, you just start typing whilst on a page and it will jump to that text on the page (if it is found). I usually type the STD code of the number I'm looking for.

Firefox doesn't require the user to select Edit > Find, or press any other key.

I'm not familiar with other browsers; whether they have such a feature. It might be called "Find as you Type" or something similar. Some browsers have add-ons and perhaps an add-on is available for this if it isn't supported by the browser's basic function.

If there isn't a Find as you Type tool, then you will probably find that there is a shortcut to get to the Find box, such as Ctrl+F or F3.

So I tried a new tack this morning and, instead of entering the name of the firm (it was Halifax actually) in the Please enter a Company Name to search for box, I entered the town (in this case, it was Colchester).

This will work where the name of the place has been added as part of the entry. Particularly with unverified entries (rather than verified ones), there are some where numbers have been added without telling us where the branch is for.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: A different way to search for a number
Reply #108 - May 6th, 2011 at 6:25pm

Dave wrote on May 6th, 2011 at 3:38pm:

I use Firefox and to search, you just start typing whilst on a page and it will jump to that text on the page (if it is found). I usually type the STD code of the number I'm looking for.

Firefox doesn't require the user to select Edit > Find, or press any other key.

I'm not familiar with other browsers; whether they have such a feature.....
I also use similar way of searching for specific things.

Also, IE8 & IE9 (not sure about earlier version like IE7) have a similar feature where you can do Edit > Find on this page (Ctrl-F) and it will highlight in yellow anything that matches the search criteria you entered and you can also click Next or Previous as needed to jump to those it's found.

IP Logged

guitardad_uk

Reply #109 - Jun 2nd, 2011 at 1:17pm

I can't find if this has been requested or suggested before in the forums, bit I think it would be very useful to add Saynoto0870 to a right click menu when you select or highlight a number on a web page.  In the same way that when you hightlight or select some text now, one of the menu options is "Search Google for...".  Why not a "Search Saynoto0870..." menu item?

Cheers.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #110 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 10:51am

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2019 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge