Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Mass e-mailout to SayNoTo0870 members ???? (Read 35,604 times)
gdh82

Mass e-mailout to SayNoTo0870 members ????
Oct 31st, 2005 at 12:35pm

Dear All,

So to help increase the number of responses to Ofcom's consultation, why not do a e-mailout to the 4,800+ members of this forum encouraging them to have their say? 

This could also encourage members to forward the email to friends, relatives and any other interested parties.  Imagine if 2,000 members forward the email to just another 20 people - already 40,000 become aware of the consultation opportunity!

And, at the very least, such emails (particularly if it includes the website's logo) would raise the profile of the SayNoTo0870 site.  What is there to lose ?

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Re: Mass e-mailout to SayNoTo0870 members ????
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 1:30pm

Would agree that this does sound like a good idea, but would need to include a VERY brief example of what people could say to Ofcom (since all users will not necessarily be conversant with all the nitty gritty).

My view might be that many verbose members of this site would provide the technical 'bullets' in their submissions, the rest of us 'foot-soldiers' could then just put in short contributions showing our anger etc.

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 6:49pm

Thanks, Omy, and I agree we need to word such a e-mailout carefully.  We need to grab people's attention without overloading them with technical jargon.  As you say I'm sure the more experienced users of this site with greater expertise on these issues could knock something together.

I had ago at something like this myself but am not really satisfied with it.  Feel free to take a look and possibly sign up for too Roll Eyes http://www.pledgebank.com/saynoto0870

I really think we should this forum should develop a clear, accessible and succinct thread called something like "Guide to Responding to the 0870 Consultation".  This could be a resource which some of us could refer to but which also we could add our own contributions when responding.

Any offers to get this "Guide to Responding to the 0870 Consultation" started ?  Remember, just 35 days to go and counting...

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 11:04pm

This sounds an excellent idea, especially in terms of getting people to express more concrete opposition to Ofcom's bankrupt proposals to keep 0845 as premium priced NGNs for several more years whilst 0870 at least half return to being charged as geographic numbers.  Also Ofcom's disingenous claims that it would be difficult for 0845 dial up ISPs to change the number used by customers need to be taken apart.

Also the failure to regulate 0844 under ICSTSIS when being used by companies like NEG for doctors surgery line scamming and failing to move both 0844 and 0871 to 09 where they belong.  Also failing to tackle 07 NGN PNS scamming as part of this consultation process.

Also that Ofcom is going to do absolutely nothing to stop mobile phone companies from ripping off their customers with a ridiculous high premium rate when calling 084 and 087 numbers.

At the moment a few rather ignorant members of the public are generally writing back well done Ofcom for doing something on 0870 knowing none of the shortfalls in the consultation document or that this is the third Ofcom consultation on this matter in 2 years after 2 previous abortive consultations.

Your comments on this topic Daniel would be very much appreciated.

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 9:43am

Any developments on a mass e-mailout of SayNoTo0870 members ? 
We've only got just over one month until deadline day so there's not very much time left...

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 12:24pm

Quote:
Dear All,

So to help increase the number of responses to Ofcom's consultation, why not do a e-mailout to the 4,800+ members of this forum encouraging them to have their say?  
Just adding my support to the above suggestion.

Also, it appears to me that the one resource that could really make a different is the money saving expert site which has tens of thousands (or even greater magnitude) of readers. Although I rarely look at the site these days, the odd glance seems to indicate that the once prominent campaign by Mr Lewis against 0870 has all but disappeared. He is the one journalist who really could make a difference. I hope he has not been 'silenced' by his clients which I believe include the BBC! Anyway if anyone has a good relationship with Mr Lewis or his site, perhaps something could be done to promote the consultation and solicit responses. I believe he was, at one stage, a sponsor of this site, and possibly still is.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 12:32pm

Daniel should send an email to all members of this forum giving the email address to reply to at Ofcom and highlighting in plain English the main issues in the consultation which give genuine cause for concern.

It should be suggested that people reply on the issues that matter to them in their own words and there should be no attempt to provide a standard template because standard letters tend to be discounted as not having the same worth as individual ones.
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2005 at 12:44pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #7 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 12:42pm

Quote:
Also, it appears to me that the one resource that could really make a different is the money saving expert site which has tens of thousands (or even greater magnitude) of readers. Although I rarely look at the site these days, the odd glance seems to indicate that the once prominent campaign by Mr Lewis against 0870 has all but disappeared. ...

MSE has recently published some new rules which forbid the use of links (apart from charities) in signatures. I had a link to Say no to 0870 and a link to the Ofcom Consultations thread over here. Both have been removed. I am very disappointed that a site that was supporting this site would remove those references. I received no PM explaining why, just a message on my MSE signature.  Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2005 at 12:44pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #8 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 12:53pm

Quote:
What about a mass email to all this forum's members though Dave? What do you think about that idea?

I'm all for it. I think that Daniel is aswell. If it goes out as a pm to everyone, it must send them an email to let them know.

Infact, that gives me an idea. What about a mailing list on this site? People don't have to join the forum to receive messages, they just have to put in their email address. Are there such services on the internet?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 1:24pm

Quote:
Infact, that gives me an idea. What about a mailing list on this site? People don't have to join the forum to receive messages, they just have to put in their email address. Are there such services on the internet?

Dave,

I think the trick would be to force people to have to sign up to do a number search so they would have to provide a username and an email address to do so.

On the other hand realistically probably only those motivated to join the forum are those who would be motivated to send a response to the consultation.

Do you and Daniel ever talk on the phone?  I know you have never met in person unless things have changed on that front.

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #10 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 1:59pm

Quote:
I'm all for it. I think that Daniel is aswell. If it goes out as a private message to everyone, it must send them an email to let them know.

Thanks for the responses to my query on the subject.

Sending a private message sounds a good start but I would add one point of concern.  I didn't realise this at first that (within everyone's profile) there is a tickbox that ensures  people receive an email after getting a private message.  For me, at least, the default left this tickbox unchecked.  I therefore woundn't be surprised if most people (unless they used PMs regularly) wouldn't get an email saying they'd received a PM.

Perhaps, then, a private message (which encourages people to send to others) could be sent out to start with, with a mass e-mailout later?
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2005 at 2:00pm by gdh82 »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 2:49pm

Quote:
Sending a private message sounds a good start but I would add one point of concern.  I didn't realise this at first that (within everyone's profile) there is a tickbox that ensures  people receive an email after getting a private message.  For me, at least, the default left this tickbox unchecked.

What you say is correct.

The forum management has email addresses for every member so what they should do is to send an email to all of them encouraging a response to the Ofcom consultation.

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #12 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 1:43pm

I don't wish to sound too impaitent but I wondered if you knew when this email to all forum members might be sent?
By the way, I sent a private message to Forum Admin on the subject last tuesday.  Having said that I appreciate this site is driven by volunteers.
I'm just keen to spread the word further by forwarding the SayNoTo0870 email to many others too. Thanks
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2005 at 7:49pm by gdh82 »  

IP Logged

Sonny

Reply #13 - Nov 6th, 2005 at 7:33pm

Recently, Gdh82 and others gave us some excellent £data regarding 0870/0845.

Thinking some more about a mass mail-out and what we might send to our own email buddies, I also wanted some simple yet dramatic statistics to raise people's awareness of and concern for the 0870/0845 issue.  Here goes.

My data:

BT have over 20 million residential subscriber lines.
Subscribers pay £450 average annual call charges.
Over 30% of call charges are now on 0870/0845 calls, and the proportion has doubled in the past 1-1/2 years.
BT take at least 60% of the 0870/0845 revenue, call centres up to 40%.

Calculations:

While the call centres together rake in annually 20 million x £450 x 25% x 40% = £934 million, BT itself earns annually a cool 20 million x £450 x 25% x 60% = £2.335 billion, a large part of their operating profit.

Conclusions:

1   BT and call centres cannot do without this revenue stream.

2   Residential subscribers who replace 0870/0845 calls with free or low-cost geographical equivalents will save on average up to 30% x £450 = £150 annually.

3   OFCOM cannot prevent revenue sharing continuing somehow between BT and call centres.  All we can hope is that they will be forced to provide geographical equivalents.

Question:

Do you believe we can use statistics like these to promote our cause in some way?

Note:

While I'm happy to provide background data for these figures through the forum if asked, I should appreciate help on the revenue split (60% to 40%) between BT and call centres (and other intermediate providers!) where I feel less comfortable.

Sonny

IP Logged

Sonny

Reply #14 - Nov 6th, 2005 at 7:51pm

Whoops!  My arithmetic was a bit dodgy in my post of 10 inutes back..

Calculations:

While the call centres together rake in annually 20 million x £450 x 30% x 40% = £1.080 billion, BT itself earns annually a cool 20 million x £450 x 30% x 60% = £1.620 billion, a large part of their operating profit.

Please forgive me.

Sonny

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge