Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Mass e-mailout to SayNoTo0870 members ???? (Read 35,841 times)
gdh82

Re: Mass e-mailout to SayNoTo0870 members ????
Reply #30 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 10:04pm

Quote:

Tell Ofcom what you think of 0870s and you could save up to £150!!!

Have you noticed how more and more companies are using 0870 and 0845 telephone numbers these days? Landline calls to these so-called non-geographic numbers can cost up to eight times higher than a call to a geographic number (beginning 01/02) and calls to these overpriced numbers amount to an astonishing 25% of all UK calls by value!!! Many people are either unaware of this or are simply confused as to what charges apply.  Worse still, these excessive phone charges apply when you are simply waiting to get to through, for example, to speak with an organisation's customer services department.   Meanwhile this underhand means of gaining revenue is then shared between the company you are calling and telecommunications company involved in making the call.

Ofcom is aware of the public's widespread dissatisfaction with these arrangements and is currently consulting on the issues but the deadline is the fast approaching 6 December 2005. 

You can read the many hundreds of responses by the public so far:
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/nts_forward/responses/

Why don't you spend just a few minutes on having your say by emailing ofcom on
nts@ofcom.org.uk
now!  And please do forward this email to many more people so to give them the opportunity of responding.

After all, ending revenue sharing on non-geographic numbers could save on average up to £150 in annual telephone call costs! 

For further information and/or to seek advice from their active and helpful forum then click below:
http://www.saynoto0870.com/consultation/

For what its worth and to help get the ball rolling on this issue I've set out above my ideas on the shape of a mass e-mailout to forum members (and I've taken the stats from various threads on this forum - hope they're accurate  Wink).  The idea being to try to encourage even more people to respond.  I've also emailed this to Dan.

Even though I'm still a newbie, I believe its getting late to argue the toss on phrasing and emphasis of such an email (and I'm sure we could come up with as many versions of this as there are forum members!).  We just need to get the damn thing out asap (!) although I think some kind of SAYNOTO0870.COM logo ought to be included to make it look more professional.
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2005 at 9:30am by gdh82 »  

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #31 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 10:43pm

I fully support gdh's comments above. Time is running out. Enough dithering.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #32 - Nov 18th, 2005 at 2:33am

gdh82 wrote on Nov 17th, 2005 at 10:04pm:
Why don't you spend just a few minutes on having your say by emailing ofcom on
ntl@ofcom.org.uk
now!  And please do forward this email to many more people so to give them the opportunity of responding.

Just noticed - you need to modify the email address to nts rather than ntl! Wishful thinking perhaps?!

[post#474]

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #33 - Nov 18th, 2005 at 9:32am

Thanks idb for the positive feedback as well as pointing out that mistake - now modified  Smiley

IP Logged

beginner

Reply #34 - Nov 18th, 2005 at 11:09am

Yes keep trying gdh82, surely someone 'up-top' will heed your cries for action (although I still suspect the prevaricating will continue a while yet).

IP Logged

Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #35 - Nov 18th, 2005 at 7:28pm

Thanks to gdh82 and others who have replied back to me with suggestions for the e-mail.

The e-mail will be going out to all registered forum members over the weekend - Briefly explaining Ofcom's proposals, and some of the problems with them (such as still allowing telephone providers to charge 0870 numbers at a higher rate, if they have the call charge announced before the call is connected).

Thanks again to all who have got back to me,

Daniel
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2005 at 7:29pm by Forum Admin »  

Check Out the main website at http://www.saynoto0870.com
IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #36 - Nov 19th, 2005 at 2:30pm

Just received my email regarding the consultations and it was personalised as well.

Thanks Daniel for doing this.
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2005 at 2:31pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

beginner

Reply #37 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 4:42am

Yes, well done Daniel - I hang my head in shame for ever having doubted you. Embarrassed

Pity Martin is still not sending one as well, to all his site members (and others, as he once promised) - but again congrats on doing your bit.

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #38 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 8:30pm

Yeah, thanks Daniel.  Just think, if this encourages just another 10% of forum members to reply that'll be almost another 500 responses  Shocked

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge