Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Mass e-mailout to SayNoTo0870 members ???? (Read 35,848 times)
gdh82

Re: Mass e-mailout to SayNoTo0870 members ????
Reply #15 - Nov 6th, 2005 at 8:08pm

Quote:
Residential subscribers who replace 0870/0845 calls with free or low-cost geographical equivalents will save on average up to 30% x £450 = £150 annually.

Impressive post, Sonny, with some quite shocking statistics that really do catch the eye.  Saving on average of up to £150/household should catch most people's attention as does the fact that call costs to non geographic numbers has doubled over the last two years.

Regarding myself as very much a newbie on these issues still, I'll leave it to others at to whether we should use these figures, and your question over the percentage split between call providers. 

Nevertheless, well done in compiling those figures!  And "Save up to £150/year on your phone bill" - sounds a good headline to me!!!

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #16 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 9:01am

While I'm happy to provide background data for these figures through the forum if asked, I should appreciate help on the revenue split (60% to 40%) between BT and call centres (and other intermediate providers!) where I feel less comfortable.

Right back to the discussion about revenue split!!

I know BT are trying to defend their 0870, but their share is not as massive as you may think.

Whilst the average customer would pay 7.5p per minute for an 0870 call, the telco companies offering the best rate for call centres seem to pay around 4p per minute, which is over half of the revenue.

I think that 5p per minute is a more fair figure of what the terminating operator receives per minute from BT, which they split with their end subscriber either in rebate or free call routing software (or both)

Also, remember that the price we pay for our phones is inclusive of VAT, so 1.25p per minute is paid to the government, leaving BT with only 1.25p per minute.

Although this is less than the previous calculations, it is less than the 3p per minute (about 2.2p + VAT) they receive on those who haven't signed up to a better deal on geo numbers during the day!!

I read in an earlier post that having made all this money from 0870, BT now want to abolish 0870 numbers (yes it is true), and these figures would explain why!!

During the evening, it might be fair to say that BT keep 0.5p per minute from 0870 numbers.  For calls that last longer than 8 minutes, then they are making more profit from their Option 1 customers than their geo call costing 5.5p (including VAT) for up to an hour.

Where BT make the money from 0870, is from their Option 2, or Option 3 customers, who would otherwise have made a free call.

Just remember, the biggest beneficiary of the 0870 revenue is the terminating telco, and not BT.

With all those figures in mind, BT probably can manage without 0870 as the originating supplier.  If all those 0870 calls were added up, and instead changed to geo calls, they would make more money from their daytime option 1, and 2 customers, and more money from short calls from option 1 customers in the evening, although they would lose money from those customers calling on an inclusive calls plan, but averaging out all those customers, they would make roughly the same.

They would only lose money, in their capacity as the terminating operator, where they receive 5p per minute from BT retail and mobile telcos.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 9:09am

Quote:
While I'm happy to provide background data for these figures through the forum if asked, I should appreciate help on the revenue split (60% to 40%) between BT and call centres (and other intermediate providers!) where I feel less comfortable.

Just remember, the biggest beneficiary of the 0870 revenue is the terminating telco, and not BT.

They would only lose money, in their capacity as the terminating operator, where they receive 5p per minute from BT retail and mobile telcos.

Hate to point this out but doesn't BT also terminate the vast majority of calls to 0870 numbers.  So it in fact makes far more than you appear to suggest.

I think this is what is sometimes referred to as "double dipping"! Shocked
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2005 at 8:10pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #18 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 10:28am

Yes the terminating telco for most NGNs is BT. Since they have lost so much normal call traffic, because they are no longer sufficiently competitive, a large portion of their call revenue is now derived from the increasing change to NGNs. That is why they insisted in the last Ofcom consultation that the actual number for their NGN traffic was "redacted" in that consultation from the publicly distributed document, and of course Ofcom agreed (to help them out so to speak!).
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2005 at 8:07pm by Dave »  

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #19 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 11:21am

Quote:
Yes the terminating telco for most NGNs is BT. Since they have lost so much normal call traffic, because they are no longer sufficiently competitive
This is off-topic but aren't BT prohibited in some ways from being competitive?  When BT announced they were making local and national calls the same, ofcom was asked to investigate them by other teleco's (CPS, t/w, etc) as being unfair.  What the other teleco's meant was that they would be forced to reduce the cost of their calls to still be cheaper than BT.

Had BT been forced by ofcom to keep prices the same (ie national geographical still nearly 8ppm) then we would have a slightly harder fight on our hands with regard to 0845 classed as local and 0870 classed as national.  They would still be valid with regard to BT anyhow.
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2005 at 8:09pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #20 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 2:13pm

Hi bb_uk,

I agree that the issue of whether or not BT actually terminate the majority of NGN calls is strictly off-topic, but it was not me that raised it in this topic - it was Shiggaddi who raised it and I was merely replying to his point. In any case if you are making the accusation. As the first contributor to make that accusation in this thread why are you then continuing to discuss the off-topic issue? It seems to me a case of the pot calling the kettle black?

From what you write I could be forgiven for having the impression that you were something of a fan of BT and somewhat rising to their support? Sometimes comments like yours make me wonder how many of us there are on this forum that are really dedicated to fighting these scams. The first point is that these scams were started by BT and Oftel then rubber stamped them. The second is that every move BT make now is to introduce a new dirty commercial trick because they cannot or do not want to compete on an level playing field. Then they get Ofcom to OK their tricks and even to change the NTNP to make allowance for them.

BT did not as you infer force all their Line Rental only customers to Option 1 so that they could do them the favour of reducing call charges. They did it as yet another dirty commercial trick to extract more from the droves of their customers that were leaving them and going over particular to CPS deals or using other telco carriers for their calls; and to give the artificial impression that their call costs are more competitive than they really are. (NGM can give you the figure because he mentioned it before, but the actual annual cost to BT of providing a single domestic line is a fraction of the Option 1 annual fee.) That is the reason that other telcos were complaining, because it was a deceitful dirty commercial trick which Ofcom should never have allowed, since it was not in the interest of the Citizen Consumer.

The reality is that BT have the huge economies of scale. They have the huge infrastructure laid down. Yet it is such a poorly managed concern and is so inefficient that they cannot compete with newer telcos who have organised their businesses to be hyper efficient and cost conscious. Rather than BT being "prohibited in some ways from being competitive", in fact they have all of the advantages, yet they still cannot compete on a level playing field, principally because their management is so bad.
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2005 at 2:31pm by dorf »  

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #21 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 4:36pm

As the person who began this thread may I politely say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!  May I remind EVERYONE of the contents of the original post for this thread and may I suggest that the moderators of this forum take a more assertive line regarding off-topic discussion!

Quote:
Dear All,

So to help increase the number of responses to Ofcom's consultation, why not do a e-mailout to the 4,800+ members of this forum encouraging them to have their say?  

This could also encourage members to forward the email to friends, relatives and any other interested parties.  Imagine if 2,000 members forward the email to just another 20 people - already 40,000 become aware of the consultation opportunity!

And, at the very least, such emails (particularly if it includes the website's logo) would raise the profile of the SayNoTo0870 site.  What is there to lose ?

And, on the subject, I had a reply from Forum Admin yesterday saying he hopes to organise this e-mailout as soon as he'd finished work on the new software upgrade.  Given there is barely 4 weeks left until consultation deadline I did respond by saying if possible this mailout ought to go out by the end of this week at the latest.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2005 at 10:21am by Forum Admin »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #22 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 5:48pm

Quote:
...And, on the subject, I had a reply from Forum Admin yesterday saying he hopes to organise this e-mailout as soon as he'd finished work on the new software upgrade...
I noticed that the site owner mentioned it here whilst responding to a post by NGM.
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2005 at 8:09pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #23 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 9:23pm

Thanks bbb_uk for helpfully pointing out that  - I wasn't aware of it being discussed in the other thread.  Sounds like  the mass e-mailout or newsletter is coming very soon!

PS Good to see this thread getting back on track!  Wink

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #24 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 1:10pm

URGENT!!URGENT!!URGENT!!URGENT!!URGENT!!URGENT!!URGENT!!
Any developments on a mass e-mailout of SayNoTo0870 members ?  
We've only got just over TWO WEEKS until deadline day so there's not very much time left...
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2005 at 10:21am by Forum Admin »  

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #25 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 1:48pm

gdh82,

If something on the mass email-out doesn't happen very soon then I'm afraid many of us WILL start believing the conspiracy theory, as it looks similar to the way Martin did his "promise then ignore" thing that is presently being talked about.
If Daniel does the same it will be a strange coincidence - not that I think they are one and the same, of course.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #26 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 6:45pm

So, does anyone have any news yet about the mass mail-out? Has it already gone out? If so I have not received mine. Is it to go out soon?

Surely time is running out?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 6:49pm

dorf wrote on Nov 16th, 2005 at 6:45pm:
So, does anyone have any news yet about the mass mail-out? Has it already gone out? If so I have not received mine. Is it to go out soon?

Surely time is running out?

Perhaps Dave, DaveM and Daniel have all been working on it today which is why they have not been able to make any posts or edits in the forum.  Wink Roll Eyes

IP Logged

beginner

Reply #28 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 7:37pm

How long can it take to write an email for distribution?  It's been a while since it was promised.
I used to think this site really wanted to get 0870's sorted out,
I now go with the people who say things are maybe not what they seem to be.
Are we all being conned on here?  Perhaps NGM is right in his statements??

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #29 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 8:14pm

Now that is interesting NGM. You seem certainly not to be alone in your suspicions? What is going on?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, CJT-80, Dave, bbb_uk, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge