Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 32
Send Topic Print
Parliamentary update (Read 500,081 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: Parliamentary update
Reply #30 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 11:17pm

mc661 wrote on Feb 3rd, 2006 at 11:07pm:
I got a US passport and a UK passport. Yes both are still valid.

I however treat my uk passport as my main one.

I wonder if dual American and foreign nationals are allowed by the CIA or FBI.

Imagine if someone held both American and Iraqi nationality!

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #31 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 11:20pm

Quote:
idb wrote on Feb 3rd, 2006 at 10:12pm:
As a non-citizen, a job with the feds is very difficult. Not impossible, but not easy! In general, the federal government here will typically only employ US citizens. For state, county and city government, the situation is usually different.

Do MI5 or MI6 have the same rules about who they are prepared to employ.

When I worked in the civil service, my department would (I think) only employ British citizens, at least when I first started. This may well have now changed. As far as I recall, MI5 will only employ British citizens. I don't know about MI6.

For working within Ofcom, I'm sure nationality is irrelevant. What is important is that the higher up the position, the more clueless the applicant needs to be.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 11:24pm

idb wrote on Feb 3rd, 2006 at 11:20pm:
For working within Ofcom, I'm sure nationality is irrelevant. What is important is that the higher up the position, the more clueless the applicant needs to be.

People of principle or integrity likely to take a stand for the citizen consumer need not apply for posts with Ofcom or its Consumer or Advisory Panels for the Nations as I have already discovered.

The successful Ofcom employee is ruthlessly ambitious for increases in salary and improved job title status within Ofcom but is prepared to write up his reports in any way that the Ofcom Board tips the wink that they would like to see as being the outcome. Angry Shocked

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #33 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 11:29pm

Quote:
mc661 wrote on Feb 3rd, 2006 at 11:07pm:
I got a US passport and a UK passport. Yes both are still valid.

I however treat my uk passport as my main one.

I wonder if dual American and foreign nationals are allowed by the CIA or FBI.

Imagine if someone held both American and Iraqi nationality!
Probably more people than you may think. Unlike the UK, the US grants citizenship to virtually anyone# born in the US. The citizenship is automatic. Even if the parents are in the US illegally, and are awaiting deportation, a child born in the US is automatically a US citizen. Of course other citizenship may well apply, but the fact remains that the child is a US citizen.  I also believe that a US citizen *must* enter and leave the US using a US passport. Using any other passport is an offence!

# Except diplomats, heads of state etc.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Feb 4th, 2006 at 3:43am

idb wrote on Feb 3rd, 2006 at 11:29pm:
Probably more people than you may think. Unlike the UK, the US grants citizenship to virtually anyone# born in the US. The citizenship is automatic. Even if the parents are in the US illegally, and are awaiting deportation, a child born in the US is automatically a US citizen. Of course other citizenship may well apply, but the fact remains that the child is a US citizen.  I also believe that a US citizen *must* enter and leave the US using a US passport. Using any other passport is an offence!

# Except diplomats, heads of state etc.

What I meant was I wonder if the CIA and FBI allow American citizens who have dual, triple or even quadruple nationality with other countries to work for either of them?  For instance what if someone was a US citizen and an Iraqi or Libyan or Algerian at the same time.................... Shocked

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #35 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 3:11am

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 2 Feb 2006 (pt 7)

<<
2 Feb 2006 : Column 645W

TRADE AND INDUSTRY

0870 Numbers

Dr. Cable: To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry pursuant to the answer of 8 November 2005, Official Report, column 291W, on 0870 numbers, what contractual arrangements his Department has for the provision of non-profit making 0870 lines. [37643]

Alun Michael: Cable and Wireless provide the 0870 lines deployed directly by the Department of Trade and Industry. Under current arrangements the threshold for revenue to return to the Department is set at 359,999 call minutes per year for each 0870 line. The low volume of calls on the 0870 lines means that these thresholds have not been reached.

These services can be terminated with three months notice. Other 0870 lines are supplied by BT and managed by sub-contractors through two DTI funded contracts providing support for UK bidders into the EU's sixth Framework Programme for RTD. These BT lines attracted set up charges of up to £250 per number and continue to attract rental charges of £200 per annum, which is absorbed into the overall cost of the contracts. Calls to these numbers are charged at national rate, so are not revenue earning for either DTI or our contractors. The two contracts are due to run until the end of 2006.
>>

I see Alun Michael has been promoted to minister for complete BS. What hope is there when a minister believes these calls are 'national rate' therefore are not 'revenue earning'?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 9:18am

idb wrote on Feb 8th, 2006 at 3:11am:
I see Alun Michael has been promoted to minister for complete BS. What hope is there when a minister believes these calls are 'national rate' therefore are not 'revenue earning'?

Have you considered emailing Mr Michael (michaela@parliament.uk) highlighting the erroneous nature of his understanding of 0870 numbers and guidances such as the ASA's Stop the Call Confusion.

Also why not email Vince Cable suggesting he ask another Parliamentary Question saying "further to my question of xxx is the  Minister aware of guidances from the ASA and Ofcom regarding the correct description of 0870 numbers and is he aware of the recent statements made by Mr Ian Livingston, MD of BT Retail, regarding 0870 numbers.

Emails to Vince Cable on this topic always receive a Read Receipt, unlike many Parliamentary colleagues who treat such communications as spam and delete them.

See http://business.scotsman.com/banking.cfm?id=764772005

and

www.asa.org.uk/cap/news_events/news/2005/Hanging+on+the+telephone+on+and+on+and+...

and

www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2004/10/nr_20041022

and

www.cap.org.uk/cap/news_events/news/2005/CAP+rings+the+changes+for+telecoms+prov...

and

www.cap.org.uk/asa/adjudications/non_broadcast/Adjudication+Details.htm?Adjudica...

« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2006 at 9:19am by N/A »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #37 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 12:09am

Questions for Oral or Written Answer
beginning on Friday 3 March 2006
(the 'Questions Book')

Part 1: Written Questions for Answer on
Friday 3 March 2006

Anne Milton (Guildford):To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, if he will list the (a) 0800, (b) 0845 and (c) 0870 telephone numbers for the public administered by (i) his Department and (ii) agencies which report to him.

Anne Milton (Guildford):To ask the Minister of State, Department for Constitutional Affairs, if she will list the (a) 0800, (b) 0845 and (c) 0870 telephone numbers for the public administered by (i) her Department and (ii) public bodies which report to the Secretary of State for Constitutional Affairs.

Anne Milton (Guildford):To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, if she will list the (a) 0800, (b) 0845 and (c) 0870 telephone numbers for the public administered by her Department.

Anne Milton (Guildford):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, if he will list the (a) 0800, (b) 0845 and (c) 0870 telephone numbers for the public administered by (i) his Department and (ii) agencies which report to him.

Anne Milton (Guildford):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, if he will list the (a) 0800, (b) 0845 and (c) 0870 telephone numbers for the public administered by (i) his Department and (ii) agencies which report to him.

Anne Milton (Guildford):To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, if she will list the (a) 0800, (b) 0845 and (c) 0870 telephone numbers for the public administered by (i) her Department and (ii) agencies which report to her.

Anne Milton (Guildford):To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, if she will list the (a) 0800, (b) 0845 and (c) 0870 telephone numbers for the public administered by (i) her Department and (ii) agencies which report to her.

Anne Milton (Guildford):To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will list the (a) 0800, (b) 0845 and (c) 0870 telephone numbers for the public administered by (i) his Department and (ii) agencies which report to him.

Anne Milton (Guildford):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if she will list the (a) 0800, (b) 0845 and (c) 0870 telephone numbers for the public administered by (i) her Department and (ii) agencies which report to her.

Anne Milton (Guildford):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will list the (a) 0800, (b) 0845 and (c) 0870 telephone numbers for the public administered by (i) his Department and (ii) agencies which report to him.

Anne Milton (Guildford):To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, if he will list the (a) 0800, (b) 0845 and (c) 0870 telephone numbers for the public administered by (i) his Department and (ii) public bodies which report to him.

Anne Milton (Guildford):To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, if he will list the (a) 0800, (b) 0845 and (c) 0870 telephone numbers for the public administered by (i) his Department and (ii) agencies which report to him.

Anne Milton (Guildford):To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, if he will list the (a) 0800, (b) 0845 and (c) 0870 telephone numbers for the public administered by (i) his Department and (ii) agencies which report to him.

Anne Milton (Guildford):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, if he will list the (a) 0800, (b) 0845 and (c) 0870 telephone numbers for the public administered by (i) his Department and (ii) agencies which report to him.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 12:34am

As I was sent in to help this lady's campaign as part of mutual aid during the General Election I suppose I shouln't knock her intentions but surely she should be asking for numbers of calls per year to each 08 number and details of any revenue share received or artificially reduced telecoms supplier contract cost (for 0845s in particular) due to the revenue share kickback to the telecoms supplier.

Surely she also ought to be asking if each of these agencies/departments intend to ensure that a geographical alternative given equal publicity is urgently made available and publicised so that our poorest citizens and consumers are not disadvantaged as recommended by Ofcom.

Also she ought to ask for a value to be assigned to the additional amount of call costs paid by the general public due to the use of 084 and 087 numbers for calling those departments compared to that which would have prevailed if geographic phone numbers had been used.  Still she doesn't seem to have asked any previous questions on all this so it seems likely that a constituent or someone similar has asked her to ask these questions.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #39 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 10:44pm

House of Commons Hansard Debates for 7 Mar 2006 (pt 3)

7 Mar 2006 : Column 713

Mr. Mark Lancaster (North-East Milton Keynes) (Con): I understand why the Minister does not allow dentists to use 0870 telephone numbers, but why has she allowed the practice to persist in the NHS as a whole, particularly for patient hotlines?

Ms Winterton: I am not sure whether I understand the hon. Gentleman's point. Is he saying that patients have to use a different number to make an appointment? That is not current practice. Most people contact their dentist by ringing an ordinary number.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #40 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 10:47pm

House of Commons Hansard Debates for 7 Mar 2006 (pt 5)

Telephone Charges (Hospitals)
15. Helen Jones (Warrington, North) (Lab): If she will make a statement on charges made to hospital patients for telephone calls. [56307]

The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health (Mr. Liam Byrne): Bedside telephones represent an enhanced service, providing additional choice for patients. Outgoing calls cost 10p per minute. Patients not wishing to use those services, which are made available at no cost to the NHS, remain free to use hospital payphones, as they have always been able to do in the past.

Helen Jones: I am grateful to my hon. Friend for that reply. But what would he say to a constituent of mine, a pensioner, who found that she was being charged 49p per minute to ring to her husband in hospital via Patientline and was forced to listen to a minute of blurb from Patientline before she even got through? It was also costing her husband 20p before he got through to her. Does that not represent an exploitation of vulnerable people? Will the Minister issue some guidance to trusts on negotiating those contracts to ensure that patients are not exploited in this way?

Mr. Byrne: My hon. Friend raises an important point, which was highlighted by Ofcom recently. Partly as a result of that report, the Department of Health has set up a review group to explore the issue of costs to users of those systems, including the price of incoming calls. The first meeting of that group is today.

Mr. Peter Bone (Wellingborough) (Con): The hon. Member for Warrington, North (Helen Jones) has raised an important matter, but what she failed to say is that if someone rings Patientline and listens to the two minutes of blurb but the patient is not there, they are still charged 49p a minute. It is outrageous. We do not need a review; we need that stopped.

Mr. Byrne: The hon. Gentleman makes an interesting point. However, market research shows that 72 per cent. of patients thought that the system offered good value for money—[Interruption.] As my hon. Friend the Member for Warrington, North (Helen Jones) has pointed out, there are concerns, but it provides a service worth £150 million at no cost to the NHS. However, this is an issue that needs further consideration. That is why the review group has been set up.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 11:01pm

It seems the temperature of the water is getting rather hot on this one in Parliament.  Sooner or later the Department of Health will have to pay off Patientline to reduce call costs down to say 0870 levels.

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #42 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 2:48pm

but it provides a service worth £150 million at no cost to the NHS.

And he really believes that they are providing this service because they're generous and look after sick people.

They provide the service free of charge, because the cost of using the service is obtained from charging the patients above market rates for outgoing calls, and charge above market rates to people who call patients.  The difference between those rates, and the market rates for 01/02 numbers is the profit they make (minus the admin costs etc)

Do they also think that the vending machine company, catering contractors, newsagent also provide their service free of charge?  They set up their businesses there to sell to the passing trade.  However they probably charge market rates for their products, and if a visitor wants a chocolate bar, a meal, a newspaper, or flowers and choccies (not a good idea if patient is nil by mouth, lol) for the person they're visiting they can choose to buy on the way in or buy at the hospital.

All these companies receive no money from the NHS and are funded entirely by selling to the patients and visitors, and the catering company charges similair rates to a cafe, and the newsagent doesn't charge double the price for newspapers.

Therefore why can't Patientline charge at best 01/02 rates or at the very most, 0870 rates for incoming calls, and payphone rates for outgoing calls, and for the use of the telephone, BT line rental rates per day for having access to the phone.  And as for Sky TV, then what about Sky TV rates per day for those services.

Admittedly, having Sky TV is a luxury, but having phone access in a place where mobile phones are banned, and people are more likely to want to contact you, is a higher priority.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #43 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 12:14am

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 8 Mar 2006 (pt 24)

Departmental Telephone Numbers
Anne Milton: To ask the Minister of State, Department for Constitutional Affairs if she will list the (a) 0800, (b) 0845 and (c) 0870 telephone numbers for the public administered by (i) her Department and (ii) public bodies which report to the Secretary of State for Constitutional Affairs. [56533]

Ms Harman: The Department, including its Agencies, has a total of eleven 0800 numbers; fifty four 0845 numbers and fifty three 0870 numbers. A list of the numbers is as follows.

0800 0156510
0800 3121159
0800 3583506
0800 3121159
0800 7833314
0800 0850982
0800 4320432
0800 0685029
0800 0685038
0800 0685048
0800 0560559

0845 6045935
0845 3302964
0845 3302962
0845 3302963
0845 3455303
0845 3455484
0845 4565150
0845 4085302
0845 4085303
0845 4085314
0845 4085315
0845 4085316
0845 4085317
0845 4085318
0845 6000730
0845 6000710
0845 6000736
0845 9616473
0845 6060766
0845 3555567
0845 3555155
0845 4085304
0845 4085305
0845 4085306
0845 4085310
0845 4085311
0845 4085312
0845 4085313
0845 4085322
0845 6015889
0845 4085319
0845 6000722
0845 6000788
0845 6000629
0845 6022064
0845 6015889
0845 7078607
0845 015935
0845 7045007
0845 6020012
0845 6020015
0845 6020013
0845 6020016
0845 6020014
0845 6017124
0845 6017136
0845 6017125
0845 6066035
0845 6017134
0845 6000490
0845 3302900
0845 7078607
0845 7045007

0870 2204100
0870 2204101
0870 2204102
0870 2204103
0870 2204104
0870 2204105
0870 2204106
0870 2204107
0870 2204108
0870 2204109
0870 2204110
0870 2204111
0870 2204112
0870 2204113
0870 2204114
0870 2204115
0870 2204116
0870 2204117
0870 2204118
0870 2204134
0870 2204135
0870 2204136
0870 2204137
0870 2204138
0870 2204139
0870 2204411
0870 2410109
0870 9088060
0870 9088062
0870 9088063
0870 9088069
0870 0108318
0870 0100299
0870 0200026
0870 0100910
0870 0101116
0870 0101117
0870 0101221

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #44 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 12:15am

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 8 Mar 2006 (pt 26)

Departmental Telephone Numbers
Anne Milton: To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland if he will list the (a) 0800, (b) 0845
and (c) 0870 telephone numbers for the public administered by (i) his Department and (ii) agencies which report to him. [56532]

Mr. Hain: The following telephone numbers for the public are administered by the Northern Ireland Office.

Telephone number Name  
0800 3160258 Family Care Line, Maghaberry Prison  
0800 1070345 Family care Line, Magilligan Prison  
0800 3160189 Family care Line, Hydebank Wood Young Offenders Centre and Prison  
0845 2470002 Northern Ireland Prisoner Release Victim Information Scheme  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 32
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge