Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
If 0870's are reduced to geographic rate... (Read 35,301 times)
bloggs

If 0870's are reduced to geographic rate...
Nov 21st, 2005 at 10:04pm

I have an 0870 number for personal use. I do not receive revenue share on it. I have such a number because I can remotely change the forwarding number at any time of the day or night.

I change location several times a day and even route my 0870 number to my mobile.

My immediate friends and family call me on it, as they know they can get me on it at any time.

If 0870 numbers are reduced to the geographic rate, I will have to pay to receive the call, as my provider won't be able to forward the call to me free of charge as it will leave the BT network before being forwarded to me.

As a result, if 0870 numbers are reduced to the geographic rate, I will have to switch off my 0870 number, as I will not pay to receive calls. My immediate friends and family will then have at least six geographic numbers they will have to try me on, with no guarantee they can reach me. If I'm out and about, they'll have to call my mobile number directly...so it will cost them more to call me then it did before. It will also cause them more inconvenience; they may have to dial seven numbers before reaching me, instead of just one.

As I don't like giving out my geo numbers to everyone, I will only be able to give out my mobile number to people who are not immediate friends or family, meaning their calls will cost more. I may even resort to using a Personal Number so as to shield my mobile number from mobile spam.

IP Logged

pud

Re: If 0870's are reduced to geographic rate...
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 10:16pm

bloggs wrote on Nov 21st, 2005 at 10:04pm:
If 0870 numbers are reduced to the geographic rate, I will have to pay to receive the call, as my provider won't be able to forward the call to me free of charge as it will leave the BT network before being forwarded to me.

As a result, if 0870 numbers are reduced to the geographic rate, I will have to switch off my 0870 number, as I will not pay to receive calls.

Incredible.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 10:20pm

Yes, you will have to pay for the service you benefit from. However, personal number services (070 numbers) were designed for this purpose, although they are just as much of a rip-off as today's 0845/0870 numbers.

There's no such thing as a free lunch!
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2005 at 10:28pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

bloggs

Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 7:46am

The benefit of using the 0870 number is with my callers - they only have to call one number instead of many. The loss of the 0870 number will make it more difficult for my callers to reach me.
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2005 at 12:13am by DaveM »  

IP Logged

bloggs

Reply #4 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 7:58am

pud wrote on Nov 21st, 2005 at 10:16pm:
Incredible.

Why do you find it incredible?

Why should I pay to receive calls?

The benefit of the number, in this instance, is with the caller, for the reasons stated elsewhere in this thread.
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2005 at 12:14am by DaveM »  

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 8:36am

Hi bloggs.

If you are constantly moving, and because of this fact are happy to have your friends pay extra for the privilege of calling you, what is the objection if 0870 is moved to an 09?
Your friends would then know they were being charged a premium rate - and could decide if you're worth it Wink

It doesn't need the whole 0870 covert premium scam to continue just for your particular case, surely (which, after all, must be a little bit unique!!)? 

Ask Ofcom to put 0870/0845 into 09.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 1:30pm

bloggs wrote on Nov 22nd, 2005 at 7:58am:
[...]Why should I pay to receive calls?

The benefit of the number, in this instance, is with the caller, for the reasons stated elsewhere in this thread.

You would not be paying to receive calls. You would be paying for the NTS that 'dials' your numbers in-turn.

The point is that your caller has to pay on a per-minute basis for the routing service with 0870 as it is at the moment. This is on top of what the caller would have paid had they called the number direct.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 5:25pm

And so is the cost - I think that was the 'incredible' point - i.e. why do you not even consider the extra expense to which you are putting your friends?
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2005 at 5:28pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

bloggs

Reply #8 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 5:31pm

omy wrote on Nov 22nd, 2005 at 8:36am:
Hi bloggs.

If you are constantly moving, and because of this fact are happy to have your friends pay extra for the privilege of calling you, what is the objection if 0870 is moved to an 09?
Your friends would then know they were being charged a premium rate - and could decide if you're worth it Wink

It doesn't need the whole 0870 covert premium scam to continue just for your particular case, surely (which, after all, must be a little bit unique!!)?  

Ask Ofcom to put 0870/0845 into 09.

It's not a privlege to be able to call me - I believe it's a better way of calling me. One number to call instead of 5 or more landlines at at least one mobile to choose. Which would you prefer?

My friends aren't being charged premium rate. Premium rate services begin 09.

Why should I move to 09 and have to go through another lot of number-change-notifications to my friends and family? I got my 0870 number back in 1999 so that I'd never have to change number again.

Furthermore, 09 numbers aren't as accessible from BT and mobiles. I understand that 0870 numbers cost more to dial from mobiles then they do 'from standard BT lines' - however, 09 numbers would cost a considerable amount more.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #9 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 5:41pm

bloggs wrote on Nov 22nd, 2005 at 5:31pm:
My friends aren't being charged premium rate. Premium rate services begin 09.

Ah, that old chestnut! lol Roll Eyes

0870 aren't premium rate! Well, that's that then, we've been against 0870 numbers, but they're not premium rate! I think we should disband this website and support 0870 numbers!  Cheesy

IP Logged

bloggs

Reply #10 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 6:14pm

If you follow the logic of what you just said, then mobile numbers (ie those beginning 077, 078 and 079) should be classed as premium rate.

Why no 'saynoto077.com?'
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2005 at 12:16am by DaveM »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 6:33pm

bloggs wrote on Nov 22nd, 2005 at 5:31pm:
It's not a privlege to be able to call me - I believe it's a better way of calling me. One number to call instead of 5 or more landlines at at least one mobile to choose. Which would you prefer?

The content of your post is so deliberately provocative and inflammatory that I can only assume you are  an undercover BT, Cable & Wireless or Ofcom person.

For the services you want there are a number of alternatives to which we won't object:-

1) Get an 0800 number.  Then you pay for the additional facility of having calls redirected wherever you want them to be instead of the caller who pays £4.50 an hour compared to a minimum 5.5p per hour for a BT Option 1 customer if you had an 01 or 02 number.

2) Get yourself a broadband connection and a Sipura SPA 3000 voip adapter then your friends can call you on your home geographic 01 or 02 number and if you aren't in it can then try redirecting the call using voip to another office or home landline you may be on (in which case the redirection will be free to you if you use say www.voipcheap.co.uk) and failing that it can redirect to your mobile at around 5p per minute on the cheapest voip provider for mobiles.  So you only pay if the call is forwarded to your mobile and the rate is cheaper than the rate your friends and family would pay to call your mobile which seems fair.

The application you are looking for is in any case a classic PNS one so to use 0870 is an abuse as indeed practically all current 0870 uses are.

You rely on the con of most of the public having been bamboozled and conned by BT and OfCoN into believeing 0870 is a national rate call even when it is not.  So you expect your callers to pay extra for calling you anywhere because you are two mean to pay for the facility you want yourself.  Also most people have a mobile phone for the application that you want and these days mobile phone calls cost little more than 0870 calls and you wouldn't have to pay anything for receiving the call wherever you are on a mobile if it is in the UK - which is sure to appeal to you.

I wonder if you are perhaps the gentleman with the Italian sounding surname who has made two submissions to Ofcom in strong support of 0870 numbers?  I can see no other possible purpose in your post other to deliberately goad people on this forum.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 6:35pm

bloggs wrote on Nov 22nd, 2005 at 6:14pm:
If you follow the logic of what you just said, then mobile numbers (ie those beginning 077, 078 and 079) should be classed as premium rate.

Why no 'saynoto077.com?'

They aren't premium rate but mobile rate which most callers are aware is equally expensive.  Why do you seek to deny 0870 is costing your callers extra when an evening call to an 0870 number will cost £2.40 per hour compared to 5.5p per hour to an 01 or 02 number on a BT landline?  Do you perhaps live in cloud cuckoo land or are you even perhaps a cloud cuckoo? Wink Roll Eyes

I would be more than happy for the name of this website to be changed to read www.saynotoofcom.org
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2005 at 6:38pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #13 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 6:37pm

Dave wrote on Nov 22nd, 2005 at 5:41pm:

No they shouldn't. It is not the cost of a number per se that makes it premium rate. It is the way in which the call charge is divided up and is available for the recipient to benefit from (either financially and/or through the provision of some service from their provider). A mobile number is more expensive, but that charge goes to the networks for connecting the two parties.

A premium rate number has a premium which is passed to the called party. Look up the word 'premium' in the dictionary.

In a free market, providers can set their own prices of numbers, but 0845 and 0870 don't really allow for this. They stiffle competitive forces that should be driving down prices, hence the problem. What's more, they are used as a direct substitute for geographical numbers, which they clearly are not.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2005 at 6:39pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

bloggs

Reply #14 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 6:42pm

OK

Follow that logic then:

1) Allow terminating call providers (ie the suppliers of 08X numbers) to set their own tariff, which could then be moved up and down depending on market conditions.

2) At the same time end revenue share on such numbers.

Would this make you happy?
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2005 at 12:17am by DaveM »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge