Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
If 0870's are reduced to geographic rate... (Read 35,434 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: If 0870's are reduced to geographic rate...
Reply #30 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 9:19pm

bloggs wrote on Nov 22nd, 2005 at 8:42pm:
Whatever you may think, I do have my own 0870 number for PERSONAL USE.

You seem to know an awful lot more about revenue share and phone call costs than you were originally letting on though.  Using an 0870 number to find you in all these different places is ridiculously cumbersome.  The ordinary person would just use a mobile phone.

I expect that as an 084/7 salesman brainwashed by all your own highly misleading propoaganda about 084/7 call costs that you may perhaps for some bizarre reason also have an 0870 for your own personal use.  However I myself would have a much lower opinion of a friend who asked me to call their 0870 number than their mobile phone number.  At least with a mobile number I would understand the reason that the call was going to cost me extra.

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #31 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 1:39am

bloggs, as NGM suggested somewhere near the beginning of this thread that I'm reading for the first time, you might think of voip companies to perform this call diversion for you. In fact I'm looking at one that can probably do this with no hardware bought by me at all, and no broadband connection either. Free 0560 number or rent a landline number; other companies may have free landline numbers.

Calls can be diverted for about 1p per minute to landlines, so between you and the people calling you, the cost will be much lower. You suggest why should you pay for the service - the others have answered that already - because you are the user of it. The same applies to companies that use 0870 numbers - why should I pay for their outgoing calls, which is how the cross-subsidy idea was sold to them in the first place?

I have an 070 number, never used. I got it a few months ago because of some information on call forwarding that has since changed. It could be diverted to a foreign mobile abroad, and I could let people pay that cost. People that don't care the cost of ringing foreign mobiles would actually find it cheaper from BT than direct at 36p or 44p per minute. Believe it or not, some people think that saving money on phone calls is too much effort, and I see their eyes glaze over - we probably all have friends that we've described 18866 et al to, whose first question is - what's the catch?

What would you do when roaming with your mobile, try and figure a way to get your callers to pay your roaming costs or find ways yourself to reduce them? I'd rather give people a cheap way to call me - an 0871 direct number to a foreign mobile (cheaper than a UK mobile from landline), or a 2p/min 0844 number, and pay a few pence on top myself, or divert the call abroad from my mobile from inclusive minutes plus a few pence.

As NGM suggests, most people have mobiles with easier call diversion facilities, and from inclusive minutes. I won't go as far as NGM to suggest you have a secret commercial agenda in favour of these numbers, but I will suggest that a mixture of selfishness and complacency is preventing you find better solutions for you and the people calling you. If you only gave me an 0870 number, I'd object too.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 2:12am

andy9,

May I simply comment that this is an extremely helpful and sensible contribution on your part with some very useful information on voip numbers that offer call diversion at low rates.

I was half expecting to be reprimanded for my taking this person to task so vigorously for expecting us to pay for their phone facility but no for once you and I almost seem to concur on an issue.  I accept I was a little hard hitting in my responses but I really did feel that the original post that kicked off this thread was somewhat tongue in cheek, a view reinforced by the effective admission by the thread starter in a later post that they were well aware of Ofcom's proposals of last year for increased pricing granularity on 084/7 numbers and that they were also well aware that Ofcom's proposal to abolish revenue sharing on 0870 did not necessarily mean that 0870 calls would become normally priced calls for the caller.

I must confess to myself owning an 0870 number that provides a fax to email service just in case anyone should insist on sending me a fax, as my own fax machine ran out of ink and became moribund some time ago.  And although I don't believe in making callers pay for my phone facility it did not seem possible to easily get fax to email on a geographic phone number.  Also if anyone still insists on sending faxes they to some extent deserve to be charged extra for the privilege. Wink

If people use 084 or 087 for genuine call redirection at different times of day on 087 I have some slight sympathy with their motivation as BT has never historically been forced to offer the service on a geographic number at a vaguely sane or competitive cost.  However it seems obvious that if all 084/7 revenue share was abolished that BT and other telcos woud then have to offer call forwarding/hunting, fax to email and voice to email on normal geographic numbers at sensible prices to the person needing the facility.

So if pricing 084/7 calls above 01/02 calls is made illegal in the long run it will be to the great benefit of all telecoms users.

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #33 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 2:24am

I also have one of those free 0870 fax numbers; I think that many ISPs have affiliate arrangements with eFax or whoever.

I believe you can subscribe to eFax for a geo number and more sending options, but I don't think I'm in a hurry; my only use so far was a test email they prompted me into as a marketing reminder.

I've got 2 mobile fax numbers as well - I think you get one automatically from 3 (never used it) - I've used the Orange one about 15 times, and got them printed at work or the local shop, but this 0870 will be better if ever needed and probably still only a 5p call anyway for single pages.

By the way, I haven't adopted the 0560 number idea yet - it is proving more than difficult to get the tariffs for them from mobile networks - they have no info about them.

I was referred this afternoon the the fact that it is a code for Kilmarnock, not in use at the moment - she could prove it - judging by the document they sent me to, it could have been defunct for 40 years

http://www.sigtel.com/tel_hist_earlystd.html

I nearly fell off my chair - [did anybody know that 0040, 0044, 0047 used to be STD codes for Outer Hebrides, and 0092, 0095, 0096 for Oxford - as I said to a friend on another forum, some people are bigger phone nerds than us]
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2005 at 2:43am by andy9 »  

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #34 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 5:22pm

Bloggs, you mentioned that your 0870 number diverts to a mobile.  Surely this is at cost to you.

If all your friends decided to get their own 0870 numbers, would have have any objection to calling them?

I have friends who are difficult to get hold of, but usually leave a message on their answerphone or voicemail, and they get in contact when they get the message.  If the call was more important, I'd try their mobile, which I can call with my free minutes on "3".  If I have to call 0870 numbers, I would have to use my O2 for this.

Also, do you tell your friends, that your 0870 number generates some income for you, or do you just tell them it a normal rate or something?

I do agree, mobile rates can be higher than 0870 from a BT landline, but nowadays alot of mobile companies, especially "3" do inclusive plans, which includes landlines and mobiles, but not 0870 numbers, therefore if your friends used this, they could call you out of their free minutes mobile to mobile.

I'm sure your friends won't mind being called back, if they knew that 0870 was more expensive.  And who is it important to, that you're instantly available?  Do your friends need round the clock access to you?

Since you probably pay for 0870 diversion to mobiles, you wouldn't mind paying for a geo number, using the methods explained by the other posters on this discussion, and pay a small fee for diversion.

I also have an 0870 number, but the only people that ring me on it, are big companies who have that number on file, instead of my geo number!!

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 5:44pm

Shiggaddi wrote on Nov 23rd, 2005 at 5:22pm:
I also have an 0870 number, but the only people that ring me on it, are big companies who have that number on file, instead of my geo number!!

I still think you are wrong to have an 0870 though Shiggaddi as part of the revenue of each call you receive goes to BT, Cable & Wireless or Kingston Communications who terminate most of the 0870 calls.  So by having your own 0870 number you are simply further propping up the empire of these disgusting scamsters.

Are you not aware of the old business about "turning the other cheek".

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #36 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 5:46pm

If I had such a friend, I would prefer to call his or her mobile. They can then tell me, "I'm currently in the Leicester office" (or whatever) and I can dial that number. Then I can have a long conversation for considerably less than using an 0870 or personal number.

As most people these days seem to make most calls from their mobile, and many are on contracts with any-network inclusive minutes, they could just call your mobile anyway as it costs the same as a landline. It's only the 0870 number that costs a premium.

Anyway, we'll see what comes out of the Ofcom consultation. Hopefully it'll benefit most consumers. It'll inconvenience some companies, but it shouldn't affect many individuals as these numbers aren't supposed to be for personal use.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 5:53pm

What has happened to Bloggs?

Do you think he now realises that he has lost the argument and retreated with his tail between his legs? Wink Cheesy

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #38 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 5:56pm

What has happened to Bloggs?

Do you think he now realises that he has lost the argument and retreated with his tail between his legs?

He might be on the phone to someone calling his 0870 number!!   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, DaveM, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge