Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
BT Removing CLI on O'seas Calls Including 1899 (Read 35,827 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: BT Removing CLI on O'seas Calls Including 1899
Reply #15 - Jan 17th, 2006 at 4:00pm

mikemundy wrote on Jan 17th, 2006 at 3:25pm:
I have 2 lines, both with 18866 and 1899 facility.

I have just tried ringing each line, using both 18866 & 1899. The CLI came up on all 4 calls with my 01444 xxxxxx numbers, and no "International" or "Witheld".

Its possible that on the same big city exchange Finarea's routing system is intelligent enough to run the call directly without complex international routing coming  back in to the UK.  So if you are on a big city exchange 1899 can probably cut out BT altogether.

Perhaps you can say what kind of area you live in (urban/rural) and even the place if its not confidential.

Ideally though I need another SayNoto0870 person to ring me on their line with 18866 or 1899 from an also small rural exchange to see what happens with that.  The name of Tanllan springs to mind as someone possibly meeting all the relevant criteria.  Anyone else who wants to is welcome to PM me to ask for my phone number.  I can also call you to test what happens in reverse using 1899 and 18185.

I see if I switch to the Post Office I can save £35.00 or so line rental over 6 months (the cash back period) even after paying for Caller Display due to their £50 cashback, which is paid after 3 and 6 months, and their slightly cheaper line rental on top.  My mum could save £50 on her second line for the burglar alarm.  Only snag would be having to switch to Voip for all outgoing call routing (but this would save another £4 a month).  Can anyone recommend a USB Voip handset that they think does a good job.  The ATA options start to look unattractive once one realises that the standalone ATAs don't manage QOS (Quality of Service) and that a decent wireless ADSL modem router with QOS such as those from Billion are about £120.00.  So perhaps just a basic Voip phone handset replacement for outgoing calls, till such time as WiMax gets here (when I can then axe my BT line) would be the answer.

I wonder what happened to PeDaSp.  He used to be rather knowledgeable on all matters Voip.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2006 at 4:03pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

mikemundy

Reply #16 - Jan 17th, 2006 at 4:45pm

I live in a rural area, Burgess Hill (01444).
I notice that if foreigners ring me on their mobiles from within the UK, I always get their CLI. I presume that these calls do not route out side the UK.

IP Logged

reggie

Reply #17 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 1:00pm

What is CLI  is it caller identification?

IP Logged

mikemundy

Reply #18 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 3:56pm

email me, mike@burgess-hill.co.uk with your number, & I will ring you via 1899 & 18866 to see what you get on your Caller Line Identification.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #19 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 4:44pm

reggie wrote on Jan 20th, 2006 at 1:00pm:
What is CLI  is it caller identification?

Calling Line Identification.
Caller Display is the "retail" name - and not always the same, because whilst the line's i/d can not change, the display can...

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 5:05pm

mikemundy wrote on Jan 20th, 2006 at 3:56pm:
email me, mike@burgess-hill.co.uk with your number, & I will ring you via 1899 & 18866 to see what you get on your Caller Line Identification.

Thanks.  I have emailed you.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #21 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 3:46pm

mikemundy wrote on Jan 20th, 2006 at 3:56pm:
email me, mike@burgess-hill.co.uk ...

Mike, I have looked at your website at www.burgess-hill.co.uk and I see you have a freephone telephone number and 0870 fax number for your B&B. This is very commendable to have a free number, although the 0870 fax somewhat lets the side down.

The numbers are in international format "+44 (0) 8..." and I understand that you can't dial UK 0800 numbers from abroad. They are also charged at higher rates than normal geographical numbers from UK mobiles. May I suggest that you display your geographical number in international format and the 0800 number for those in the UK who wish to use it?

What's more, those on inclusive call packages who get their calls 'free' will not pay to call 01444, just as they wouldn't for 0800, but you always pay to receive calls on 0800 choose where they originate from.
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2006 at 3:47pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

mikemundy

Reply #22 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 4:06pm

As you might expect, there is an answer to the 0870 fax number. This service is provided by EFax. They receive the fax call, and in exchange for what ever they make for the short time it takes the fax to be transmitted to them, they then send it to me free by email, avoiding the need for me to have a fax machine. Mind you, with nearly everyone on email now, the days of fax are numbered.

I must confess that I hadn't realised that the website manager had used my 0800 number, thanks, I will have it changed to my 01444 number.

I also have an 0870 number. It cost me nothing to get, and I always use it in response to others who have 0870 numbers and need to know my number to ring me back! Interestingly, on some web ordering sites, they will not accept my   0870, even although they themselves use these numbers!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #23 - Jan 22nd, 2006 at 7:51pm

mikemundy wrote on Jan 21st, 2006 at 4:06pm:
I must confess that I hadn't realised that the website manager had used my 0800 number, thanks, I will have it changed to my 01444 number.

I see it's been changed. Glad to be of help. Smiley

mikemundy wrote on Jan 21st, 2006 at 4:06pm:
I also have an 0870 number. It cost me nothing to get, and I always use it in response to others who have 0870 numbers and need to know my number to ring me back! Interestingly, on some web ordering sites, they will not accept my   0870, even although they themselves use these numbers!

That's a good idea, although some frown upon it and see it as simply joining in the 0870 rip-off. Anyway, I imagine that there are some suppliers that you use who use 0845/0870 numbers. I'm sure that you've used the resources on here to try and find alternatives.

IP Logged

mikemundy

Reply #24 - Jan 22nd, 2006 at 8:41pm

Unless time is of the essence, and there is no alternative listed on this site, I write to them. It costs less than a 3 minute 0870 call, and costs them a fortune to write back. I leave my geographic BTphone and email address off my communications , but include my 0870 number.

If everyone wrote, it might help to abolish the 0870 rip off. They hate written mail.
I have noticed that Sky no longer include a postal addreess on their written communications. Maybe we need to list these to encourage people to write. (I am aware of the 0800 route to sky, but prefer to give them written hassle.)

IP Logged

BexTech

A Proud European!

Reply #25 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 7:02pm

I started using 18866 and then 1899 from my BT line 2 years ago.

I then encouraged friends and family to join up too.

What we found was daytime weekdays on the receiving BT line caller display it would most times display "International" occasionally it would display "0044121nnnnnnn" or "44121nnnnnnn" though once or twice "044121nnnnnnn".

I had occasionally received the CLID on calls from the USA, France and Spain, but mostly "International".

Now I have dropped my landline completely and just use VoIP (using an ATA and my standard phones) I receive the CLID on calls no matter where in the world they come from if the sending network sends the CLID, also means when people use 1899, 18866 or 18185 to call me I get to see there number whether it is 0121nnnnnnn or 0044121nnnnnnn.  Looking at my incoming call logs I can see that Fr 6 Jan 2006 was the last date that daytime calls via 18866/1899 where showing as 0044121.....
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2006 at 7:03pm by BexTech »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 7:10pm

BT seem to be universally not passing through the CLI on overseas calls to my landline here both for uk originated calls using 18866, 1899 etc and for genuine international calls originated outside the UK.

Those same genuine international calls show the CLI when they go to my Vodafone.

Conclusion BT is deliberately making no effort to provide the best possible CLI facilities.

I am deadlocked with BT on this issue (official deadlock letter received and none of the letters leading to the deadlock offer any proper information they just lie by claiming the call network handing the call to them did not provide the CLI) and wil be lodging a complaint with Otelo, the telecomminications ombudsman.  There is something in BT's letter claiming this matter may not fall within Otelo's jurisdiction but I cannot imagine why not.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #27 - Jan 31st, 2006 at 4:56pm

Interesting.  All 3 incoming calls from 1899 users today have carried full (international) CLI.

I wonder whether BT have caved in?

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Jan 31st, 2006 at 5:02pm

Heinz wrote on Jan 31st, 2006 at 4:56pm:
Interesting.  All 3 incoming calls from 1899 users today have carried full (international) CLI.

I wonder whether BT have caved in?

Perhaps they are anticipating my complaint to Otelo and the fact that they clearly haven't got a leg to stand on over any of the arguments they have so far presented claiming that they don't receive the CLI information from the incoming international network.  But the experience of receiving precisely the same calls from the same international phone number on my Vodafone, where the international CLI is presented clearly shows that BT are not telling the truth. Angry

IP Logged

Flutty

NO to revenue sharing
on 08xx

Hampshire
Reply #29 - Jan 31st, 2006 at 8:36pm

Interesting this, I have noticed recently that when I receive calls from my home number at my office it shows 'Private', this has only recently happened and I am with OneTel Unlimited. The same is now happening from my O2 mobile to home, but only on one of the O2 mobiles. Having tried it out with various colleagues etc there dosnt seem to be a pattern, some show the full number, some Private. So it would seem it is not only BT removing the CLI.
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2006 at 8:36pm by Flutty »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge