Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
BT Removing CLI on O'seas Calls Including 1899 (Read 35,845 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: BT Removing CLI on O'seas Calls Including 1899
Reply #30 - Jan 31st, 2006 at 8:50pm

Flutty wrote on Jan 31st, 2006 at 8:36pm:
So it would seem it is not only BT removing the CLI.

But the question is why is this happening when surely at this point in the development of telephony the availability of CLI ought to be becoming more and more universal apart from those calls from individuals who choose to actively withhold it.  I think the tendency of many corporate switchboards to Withhold the provision of any CLI is thoroughly reprehensible.  There ought to be rules made against the universal large corporate CLI withhold.

What I so despise about BT is that their useless Complaints Review mechanism refuse to even give me a technically convincing explanation as to why they might be having trouble providing this information.  They simply hide behind dullard customer service advisers who neither care about techncal explanations nor would be capable of providing them in a letter.

IP Logged

mikemundy

Reply #31 - Jan 31st, 2006 at 10:11pm

The reason that firms withold their CLI is that we would get to know their geographical number, so we would then not ring their premium 0870 number!

Mike    Burgess Hill
With Geographical, 0800 and, for responding to 0870 merchants, an 0870 number.

IP Logged

saynonto0871

UK
Reply #32 - Feb 25th, 2006 at 6:35pm

Interesting, I received a full CLID on BT from a mobile in Jamaica displayed in int format 001876xxxxxxx
Normally I just get Out of Area or Secret

I never understood why they were blocking foreign CLI. Afterall, if you've got the number, you're more likely to call back, so they make more money.
Not that I would use BT for any international calls.
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2006 at 7:00pm by saynonto0871 »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Feb 25th, 2006 at 7:00pm

saynonto0871 wrote on Feb 25th, 2006 at 6:35pm:
Interesting, I received a full CLID on BT from a mobile in Jamaica 001876xxxxxxx  Normally I just get Out of Area or Secret

I never understood why they were blocking foreign CLI.

In my opinion BT have been blocking incoming overseas CLIs in order to make cheaper Voip based call routing competitors look like they were delivering an inferior quality of service.

Having said that the universal withholding of overseas CLIs appears to be specific to the configuration of my exchange or my line as other people do appear to get a 441306xxxxxx CLI from time to time but I always get Overseas Withheld for all calls that present an International CLI, inlcluding calls from other 1899 subscribers.

Even though BT have tried to claim that they don't provide the CLI because they don't get the information they must know this is a lie and cannot be defended with Otelo and are perhaps now working on whatever aspects of their routing systems have been stripping out the overseas CLIs.

The thing is I distinctly remember someone calling me on the same BT landline using an Estonian mobile (they were in the UK at the time) 6 or 7 years ago and at that stage the Estonian mobile number's CLI was presented on my BT landline.  Sometime subsequently BT started stripping a large number of CLIs from calls entering the UK PSTN from overseas.
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2006 at 9:46pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #34 - Feb 25th, 2006 at 8:36pm

Quote:
saynonto0871 wrote on Feb 25th, 2006 at 6:35pm:
Interesting, I received a full CLID on BT from a mobile in Jamaica 001876xxxxxxx  Normally I just get Out of Area or Secret... .
The thing is I distinctly remember someone calling me on the same BT landline using an Estonian mobile (they were in the UK at the time) 6 or 7 years ago and at that stage the Estonian mobile number's CLI was presented on my BT landline.  Something BT did subsequently started stripping a large number of CLIs from calls entering the UK PSTN from overseas.
Hi NGM. I will be in Geneva in March and so can try half a dozen outgoing Swiss and French networks (special dispensation not to use my Riiiiing SIM when calling you) to call you from my Orange. Perhaps we can then add the results in to your research(es).

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Feb 25th, 2006 at 9:47pm

Tanllan wrote on Feb 25th, 2006 at 8:36pm:
Hi NGM. I will be in Geneva in March and so can try half a dozen outgoing Swiss and French networks (special dispensation not to use my Riiiiing SIM when calling you) to call you from my Orange. Perhaps we can then add the results in to your research(es).

I feel confident no CLI will be shown on any of those networks when calling this phone number, unless of course BT have made software changes on my exchange following my complaint.

I already know what happens with my BT landline when calling it from a United Mobile (nee Riiing) SIM card (international and unavailable) so no need to try out that one.
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2006 at 9:49pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, CJT-80, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge