Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
DVLA (Read 59,175 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: DVLA
Reply #30 - Jul 11th, 2006 at 12:53pm

Heinz wrote on Jul 11th, 2006 at 10:30am:
Which makes me wonder why you didn't go there in the first place NGM!

Support your local Post Office
(yes, I live in a village too).

The online website saves you having to fish out your MOT and insurance certificate and also lets you pay by credit card instead of just Switch (which was all they allowed me to use down at the sub post office).  And I tend by nature to be an early adopter of new technology.

In any case the local Sub Post Office is no longer run by the locals having been sold to some "non-locals" (without wishing to tread any further into politically incorrect territory about those who now comprise most of England's small shopkeepers) by the family that had run it for about 90 years five years ago.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #31 - Jul 11th, 2006 at 1:23pm

Quote:
The online website saves you having to fish out your MOT and insurance certificate and also lets you pay by credit card instead of just Switch (which was all they allowed me to use down at the sub post office).
Presumably DVLA's income from 0870 allows it to subsidise the credit card companies, rather than the more meagre fees that debit cards are allowed to charge?
Sorry, off topic, but relevant in hidden subsidy. After all some credit card companies offer cashback - from money that you have paid, or money extorted from shopkeepers (even incomers in Capel). Perhaps we shall see a card offering 0870 style payments. Heaven forbid. Ofcom/APACS certainly will not.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #32 - Jul 11th, 2006 at 2:45pm

Tanllan wrote on Jul 11th, 2006 at 1:23pm:
Quote:
The online website saves you having to fish out your MOT and insurance certificate and also lets you pay by credit card instead of just Switch (which was all they allowed me to use down at the sub post office).
Presumably DVLA's income from 0870 allows it to subsidise the credit card companies, rather than the more meagre fees that debit cards are allowed to charge?
Sorry, off topic, but relevant in hidden subsidy. After all some credit card companies offer cashback - from money that you have paid, or money extorted from shopkeepers (even incomers in Capel). Perhaps we shall see a card offering 0870 style payments. Heaven forbid. Ofcom/APACS certainly will not.

Credit card payments attract a £2.50 levy.  " (please note there is a £2.50 charge per transaction for using a credit card)"  from  HERE

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Jul 11th, 2006 at 3:03pm

derrick wrote on Jul 11th, 2006 at 2:45pm:
Credit card payments attract a £2.50 levy.  " (please note there is a £2.50 charge per transaction for using a credit card)"  from  HERE

I managed to renew my tax disc for 6 months using the DVLA website at Christmas when I was separated from my MOT and insurance but to be honest couldn't remember if I used Switch or a Credit Card.  Now that you mention the £2.50 fee I do recall using Switch to avoid paying this.

There is no excuse for this credit card levy on direct website sales given that DVLA obviously pays a quid or two to the Post Office for each disc issues which it saves if customers renew direct online.  So they obviously could afford to support credit card and still be better off than if the disc was issued through the Post Office.

MBNA's Conran card pays 1% cashback on everything you buy.  Amex Platinum gives you 0.5% cashback up to £7,000 per annum or something and then 2% thereafter.  And GE's new card gives you 3% cashback on all fuel and supermarket purchases.  The GE deal is so good it seems unlikely to last but the Conran Visa card has been paying 1% cashback consistently for several years.  See www.moneysavingexpert.com for more information on all this stuff.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #34 - Jul 11th, 2006 at 4:00pm

Quote:
derrick wrote on Jul 11th, 2006 at 2:45pm:
Credit card payments attract a £2.50 levy.  " (please note there is a £2.50 charge per transaction for using a credit card)"  from  HERE
There is no excuse for this credit card levy on direct website sales given that DVLA obviously pays a quid or two to the Post Office for each disc issues which it saves if customers renew direct online.  So they obviously could afford to support credit card and still be better off than if the disc was issued through the Post Office.
The DVLA, I assume, have a special deal with the post offices and it probably doesn't cost them no where near as much as it does to process an application as it does when paying via a credit card which does attract a fee for the DVLA.  It really depends on who processes the credit card transactions - the DVLA or an outside company.

I know that Tesco stores use Tesco finance (or something similar) to process their credit cards transactions for them and that Tesco Finance take a 2.5% (or there about) for each transaction but obviously this 'extra' charge is not passed on to us customers and is taken out of their (Tesco's) profit instead.

Do you not have a debit card NGM as technically according to the DVLA website these don't attract the £2.50 charge?
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2006 at 4:00pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Jul 13th, 2006 at 2:52pm

bbb_uk wrote on Jul 11th, 2006 at 4:00pm:
Do you not have a debit card NGM as technically according to the DVLA website these don't attract the £2.50 charge?

Yes I have a debit card but MBNA's Conran Visa card pays me 1% cashback on all my transactions so paying by debit card means that my tax disc costs me £1.50 more than if I could pay by MBNA Conran Visa if DVLA did not charge an extra £2.50 fee for credit cards.

All credit cards charge merchants at least a couple of percent or so as otherwise cards like the Conran card would not be able to pay me 1% cashback.  Banks also charge them for debit card transactions but not as much and more like a flat fee per transaction rather than a percentage.  Of course the Post Office was one of the last retailers to start accepting either debit or credit cards.  However I can send something via the Post Office on Special Delivery with a credit card so its odd that I can't use a credit card to buy a tax disc?  After all almost 100% of the tax disc fee is profit for the government's coffers so they could easily afford to give up a small part of.  And as I said if I pay them directly online they save the fee that they pay to Post Office Counters.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #36 - Aug 2nd, 2006 at 3:58pm

I have at last received a reply to my complaint regarding their use of 0870 numbers to report problems with MOTs etc in which Ian Broom, their customer services manager, admits that the earlier reply I received was inaccurate in a number of ways, including when I was told that the COI had told DVLA verbally that it was complying with their guidelines!! I would like to post this email but my technology skills don't allow and it is quite long, too long for me to re-type in full.   If someone who does know how to do this will supply me with an email or if the site has one, I will forward on this email for them to post because it does seem to indicate some progress.   Thanks to anyone who can help.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
DVLA 2/8/06 e-mail (posted on Barbara's behalf)
Reply #37 - Aug 2nd, 2006 at 4:11pm

Quote:
To: barbara
Subject: RE: Complaint
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 12:11:15

Dear

I am writing further to my e-mail of 21 July 2006.  I am now in a position to address the issues you have raised and I hope you will accept my apologies for the delay in replying.

I am sorry that you were dissatisfied with Mr Evans’ reply of 26 June.  I should clarify that Mr Evans was correct when explaining that DVLA have never used 0845 numbers for the enquiry service. The 0845 number that was quoted on a MOT certificate is appropriate to the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) and not DVLA.  It is regrettable that this was not made clear and I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

While I appreciate that not everyone has access to the Internet, I cannot agree with your assertion that our system is discriminatory to some people.  As explained by Mr Evans, in addition to the web and e-mail, customers may access our services by fax or letter.  The choice remains with the customer and, while I sympathise with your circumstances, I can only apologise if you felt that you could not use these alternatives.

In terms of telephone access, although most numbers are 0870, the main switchboard number 01792 782341 is available.

While VOSA have provided a 0845 number for MOT related enquiries, DVLA have introduced a 0800 Freephone number for members of the public to report unlicensed vehicles.  This reflects the different circumstances that apply when we rely on the public to help us in our fight against Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) evasion.    

Mr Evans’ reply of 26 June was inaccurate in suggesting that the Central Office of Information (COI) had confirmed our compliance with their guidance.  For this, I apologise.   The Agency has taken this opportunity to contact COI for further clarification. General advice from COI is that 0870 numbers are not recommended.  However, this advice is not prescriptive.  If 0870 numbers are being used, COI strongly recommend that other alternatives, i.e. a standard geographical number is offered in parallel and the web or postal mechanisms should be made available to give the customer a choice.  In view of these factors, DVLA considers that its telephone customer interface is in accordance with the COI guidelines.

Finally, Mr Evans referred to the OFCOM consultation exercise on the use of 0870 numbers.  I can confirm that OFCOM have made a further announcement on the use of these numbers and the Agency will cease using these numbers by the set deadline. 

I trust that I have explained the position satisfactorily.

Yours sincerely

Sent unsigned via e-mail

Ian Broom
Customer Services Manager
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2006 at 4:48pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: DVLA 2/8/06 e-mail (posted on Barbara's behalf
Reply #38 - Aug 2nd, 2006 at 5:25pm

Heinz wrote on Aug 2nd, 2006 at 4:11pm:
In terms of telephone access, although most numbers are 0870, the main switchboard number 01792 782341 is available.

While VOSA have provided a 0845 number for MOT related enquiries, DVLA have introduced a 0800 Freephone number for members of the public to report unlicensed vehicles.  This reflects the different circumstances that apply when we rely on the public to help us in our fight against Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) evasion.    

If 0870 numbers are being used, COI strongly recommend that other alternatives, i.e. a standard geographical number is offered in parallel and the web or postal mechanisms should be made available to give the customer a choice.  In view of these factors, DVLA considers that its telephone customer interface is in accordance with the COI guidelines.

Finally, Mr Evans referred to the OFCOM consultation exercise on the use of 0870 numbers.  I can confirm that OFCOM have made a further announcement on the use of these numbers and the Agency will cease using these numbers by the set deadline.  

Strange then that there is no mention at all of the geographic number that they allege they are happy for people to use at:-

www.dvla.gov.uk/contact/dvla_custenq.htm Wink  Roll Eyes

So how would people get the GN unless they visited the www.saynoto0870.com or wrote to the DVLA's CEO to complain about only the 0870 being published? Huh

some interesting information though on their website about key staff:- See  www.dvla.gov.uk/media/org.htm and www.dvla.gov.uk/media/biog.htm

As to the agency ceasing to use the 0870 numbers by the so called Ofcom "deadline" (i.e. 31st Jan 2008) for 0870 numbers surely there is no deadline unless the DVLA objects to losing their revenue share on that date?  Can we therefore assume that after 1st Feb 2008 they will start using either a 5p per minute 0844 number or a 10p per minute 0871 number. Shocked Cry

Clearly as they already have an 0870 number unlike an 0845 government department operator they wouldn't have to get an 03 geographic number in order to start charging geographic call prices would they? Roll Eyes Undecided
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2006 at 5:26pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #39 - Aug 2nd, 2006 at 8:40pm

Heinz wrote on Aug 2nd, 2006 at 4:11pm:
Quote:
To: barbara
Subject: RE: Complaint
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 12:11:15

Dear

Finally, Mr Evans referred to the OFCOM consultation exercise on the use of 0870 numbers.  I can confirm that OFCOM have made a further announcement on the use of these numbers and the Agency will cease using these numbers by the set deadline.  

I trust that I have explained the position satisfactorily.

Yours sincerely

Sent unsigned via e-mail

Ian Broom
Customer Services Manager
Hi Barbara,

I agree with NGM about what type of number they plan on getting now!

Can I therefore ask that if you reply back to this Ian, can you ask what type of numbers (ie geographical, the new 03x range, or 084x/087x) they plan on using?

I'm a bit worried that they may opt for 084x so they can still gain money (don't remind them of this though).  Maybe mention that the new 03x range, when available, is recommended by ofcom to be used by public services such as themselves so us public don't have to pay unfair/unduly higher costs.

« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2006 at 8:43pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Aug 2nd, 2006 at 8:49pm

bbb_uk wrote on Aug 2nd, 2006 at 8:40pm:
Hi Barbara,

Can I ask that if you reply back to this Ian, can you ask what numbers (ie geographical, the new 03x range, or 084x/087x) they plan on using as they state?  I'm a bit worried that they may opt for 084x so they can still gain money (don't remind them of this though).  Maybe mention that the new 03x range, when available, is recommended by ofcom so us public don't have to pay higher costs.

I wouldn't waste my time writing to any customer services person as in my experience they are programmed to always say No.  I see most customer service personnel as being more or less the modern equivalent of concentration camp guards repeatedly muttering to themselves "I was only following orders"  Although perhaps "if you pay peanuts you get monkeys" is a slightly less politically incorrect analaogy for my views on the whole customer services person species.

Personally I would write to the DVLA senior brass for whom I posted the email addresses earlier in this thread before my subscription to the thread was so mysteriously deleted by the forum software in the intervening period.  Shocked

Which reminds me that my last email to the DVLA's CEO is still outstanding and I must chase his secretary (who acknowledged my email and told me the matter was being investigated and a reply would be sent) to ask what has happened. Undecided
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2006 at 3:55pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #41 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 2:01pm

Interesting that, NGM, as I took the CEO's email address from your post (didn't know it had somehow disappeared) and, following an acknowledgement from the CEO's office and the first email reply I received (the one that said the COI had verbally approved their system!!!), I received the one posted above so it seems that you end up with customer services whoever you contact initially (possibly because the top people seem to know even less about anything than the staff!!)   Thanks to Heinz for helping with that.   I will try to get round to responding and asking them if they will be moving to an 03 number.   Also, I wonder where I can find the 0800  number for unlicensed cars - I think he omitted to mention it!

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 3:57pm

Barbara

Type in DVLA in the alternative number listings lookup on this website and you will find that the 0800 number is show there.

NGM

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge