Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Yellow pages 0845 = Local call rates (Read 77,121 times)
redant

Re: Yellow pages 0845 = Local call rates
Reply #30 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 4:07pm

Yellow pages for Newport & East Valleys-cover has a square banner proclaiming "0845=Low Call Rates. Our consumer Information section has more details on call rates." Inside under Consumer Advice: What are 08 numbers? With more and more businesses using the varios 08 numbers it's good to be aware of the differences in pricing when dialling them. Calling 08 numbers costs less than you might think, with everyone from your local shop to local car dealer using them. 0800-0808 free, 0845 call charge from most landlines is 3 PPM, 0870 call charge from most landlines is 7.51 PPM. Throughout the book are many banners showing 0845+low call rates and gives the 3 PPM pricing.

Interesting to note that they state calling 08 numbers is less than you might think. This shows that people are now waking up to this RIP OFF!!!!

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #31 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 4:14pm

And interesting that they still quote that 7.51p/minute rate for 0870 numbers - BT reduced that to 7p six months ago.

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
More misleading advice from Yellow Pages
Reply #32 - Oct 24th, 2007 at 11:13am

A quote from Yell.com's website:

http://www.yell.com/consumer/call/home.html

Quote:
Dialling codes and call charges
A dialling code can give you information about call charge rates. For example:

00 International codes
    01 Area codes
    02 Area codes
    07 Calls charged at mobile rates
    080 Calls are free
    084 Calls charged at local rates
    087 Calls charged at national rates
    09 Calls charged at premium rates

Please note, rates may change. Contact your telephone company for full details of call charges.

IP Logged

philg

Lies in Yellow Pages
Reply #33 - Dec 29th, 2007 at 10:34am

In my local Yellow Pages, there's a big full-page ad headed "A simple guide to 08 numbers". It reads, in part: "When you're looking for a business, it can be a little confusing knowing the difference between the various 08 numbers. However, by remembering a few simple rules, it's easy. 08 numbers aren't premium rate, those are 09".

I think it should be illegal to say things like this. In my book, if it costs more than a normal call, it's premium rate. I get so fed up with people on 0870 numbers telling me it's not a premium-rate line.

In other news, I recently had a (somewhat Pyrrhic) victory over BT. They cut off my email access by mistake, and I spent over three hours trying to sort out the problem, being passed around from one department to another and being kept in queues for up to 45 minutes, often on 0870 numbers. Three different people promised to call me back and didn't. There is something seriously wrong with that company right now.

When I finished, I called the BT group headquarters number given on this website and asked for the chairman's office. I don't think there is actually such a thing, but your complaint seems to be given priority. I demanded a refund of the cost of all the calls I'd made, which was about £10. They gave me £20.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #34 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 1:50pm

Received the following from the ASA today re YELL & their "0845 = low call rates";-

ASA
Advertising Standards Authority
Mid City Place 71 High Holborn London WC1V6QT Telephone 020 7492 2222 Fax 020 7242 3696 Textphone 020 7242 8159 E-mail enquiries@asa.org.uk Online www.asa.org. uk

Mr

Please Quote: A07-309
2 January 2008

Dear Mr
YOUR COMPLAINT: Yell Advertising

I am writing further to our letter of 15 November 2007.

Since we last wrote to you, we received an assurance from Yell that they would remove the claim "low call rates" from their advertising and amend the wording of the call cost information in their future advertising to comply with our guidance.

We have, therefore, closed our file on an informal basis. The ASA publishes basic details of the complaints it investigates on its website, www.asa.org.uk. Yell's company name, the industry sector and the medium in which the ad appeared will be published on 16 January 2008 in a list with other advertisers that have co-operated in resolving complaints.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us about this complaint and for your patience during the investigation.
Yours sincerely

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #35 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 8:30pm

derrick wrote on Jan 3rd, 2008 at 1:50pm:
Since we last wrote to you, we received an assurance from Yell that they would remove the claim "low call rates" from their advertising and amend the wording of the call cost information in their future advertising to comply with our guidance.

Just received my new Yellow Pages and within the listings it says "0845=Low call rates". Underneath this it states "Call charge from most landlines is 3p per minute, call charges may vary depending on network".

Yet at the foot of the pages on local information at the beginning it states "Calls from most landlines cost: 0845 up to 4p per min, 0870 up to 8p per min, 0871 up to 10p per min. A call set up fee of up to 6p applies to all calls. Network charges vary. Rates correct at time of publication."

On the front, it quotes the rates for Yell's 118247 directory enquiries number and at the end says "Rates as at publication of February 2008."

Seems like Yellow Pages continue to deliberately mislead. A few (relatively speaking) of the advertisers also lie about their 0845 numbers being "local rate".

The lies from Yellow Pages I referred to above about 084 being "local rate" are still on its website. See here.
« Last Edit: Feb 29th, 2008 at 8:34pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #36 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 3:22am

Dave wrote on Feb 29th, 2008 at 8:30pm:
Seems like Yellow Pages continue to deliberately mislead. A few (relatively speaking) of the advertisers also lie about their 0845 numbers being "local rate".

The lies from Yellow Pages I referred to above about 084 being "local rate" are still on its website. See here.

But it is OfCoN that legalises of all this lieing about 0845 and 0870 call costs by numerous companies by doing nothing about it.

Post Office HomePhone still calls 0845 and 0870 Local and National Call Rates on all their phone bills.  If one marketing man sees his competitors getting away with this ripoff then he thinks he is also entitled to.  This is the excuse they even use in response to one's complaint.

If OfCoN carried out major publicity and threatened big fines against anyone continuing the abuses then they would cease overnight.

<div style=

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #37 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 10:57am

Dave wrote on Feb 29th, 2008 at 8:30pm:
derrick wrote on Jan 3rd, 2008 at 1:50pm:

Just received my new Yellow Pages and within the listings it says "0845=Low call rates". Underneath this it states "Call charge from most landlines is 3p per minute, call charges may vary depending on network".

Yet at the foot of the pages on local information at the beginning it states "Calls from most landlines cost: 0845 up to 4p per min, 0870 up to 8p per min, 0871 up to 10p per min. A call set up fee of up to 6p applies to all calls. Network charges vary. Rates correct at time of publication."

On the front, it quotes the rates for Yell's 118247 directory enquiries number and at the end says "Rates as at publication of February 2008."

Dave, maybe you should contact ASA and inform them that Yell is still misleading with these claims, as they did say;- "we received an assurance from Yell that they would remove the claim "low call rates" from their advertising and amend the wording of the call cost information in their future advertising to comply with our guidance. " You could quote the reference from my complaint, if you want I can email you a copy of the letter.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #38 - May 7th, 2008 at 11:02am

Since posting my reply #34 above, I have received this years Yellow Pages and guess what? it has "0845 = low call rate" printed throughout .

I received it around the middle of March, and complained to ASA on 16th March, pointing out that they are ignoring their pledge, I received an acknowledgment from ASA on 18th March and a confirmation letter on 2nd April..

Today I have received the following; -

YOUR COMPLAINT

We have considered your complaint and we have taken it up with the advertisers Yell Ltd under our formal investigations procedure, which means that we have asked them to comment on the complaint and send evidence to support their claims.

When we have a response, we will prepare a draft recommendation and refer your complaint to the ASA Council for adjudication. You will have an opportunity to comment on the draft" before it is considered by the Council. Once the Council has made a decision, the adjudication will be published on our website.

If the advertisers respond to your complaint by offering to change their advertising in a way that resolves your concerns, we may close the case without referring it to Council or publishing an adjudication. This has the advantage of resolving your complaint more quickly. However we resolve your complaint, we will let you know the outcome.

I have enclosed a leaflet outlining our complaints procedure in more detail.

Yours sincerely

I will post again when I receive the draft.
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2008 at 12:01pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #39 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 9:54am

I have received the following from the ASA, as you can see they asked me to keep it confidential until today, hence why I did not post it earlier; -

Please Quote: A0

By post

22 May 2008

Dear Mr ******

YOUR COMPLAINT: YELL

Further to my letter of 2 May, we have received a response from Yell. As you know, they agreed not to use the term "LOW CALL RATES" in advertising for 0845 numbers and revised wording was agreed. Their pre-press publishers were instructed to use the revised wording. Yell have carried out an investigation with the pre-press publishers as to why the incorrect wording has continued to appear in some filler ads. We have seen a report from the publishers which explains that an error occurred in the pre-press production process. Certain instructions were not followed during the production process and a mixture of correctly and incorrectly worded ads has appeared. The publishers admitted the error and are reviewing their processes in consultation with Yell. Additional checks have been implemented.

We have also seen copy from other directories which post-dates the issue and we are confident that the correct wording is now appearing in all filler ads.

Because there was an error on the part of the publishers and steps have been taken to avoid this happening in future, we will close the case without referring it to the ASA Council. Basic information including the advertisers' name and where the ad appeared will be published on our website, www.asa.org.uk on 4 June. In the meantime, please treat the contents of this letter as confidential until the details referred to above are published.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to raise the matter with us. If you would like more information about what we do and the ads we have found in breach of the Code, please have a look on our website.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #40 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 11:17am

derrick wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 9:54am:
We have also seen copy from other directories which post-dates the issue and we are confident that the correct wording is now appearing in all filler ads.

Because there was an error on the part of the publishers and steps have been taken to avoid this happening in future, we will close the case without referring it to the ASA Council. Basic information including the advertisers' name and where the ad appeared will be published on our website, www.asa.org.uk on 4 June. In the meantime, please treat the contents of this letter as confidential until the details referred to above are published.[/color]

So no fine or major sanction, even after a blatant failure to follow ASA rulings on this scale.  And what guarantee the same thing will not happen in the future.

Talk about the ASA being a cosy old boy's club Shocked Angry Smiley

<div style=

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #41 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 1:41pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jun 8th, 2008 at 11:17am:
derrick wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 9:54am:

Because there was an error on the part of the publishers and steps have been taken to avoid this happening in future, we will close the case without referring it to the ASA Council. Basic information including the advertisers' name and where the ad appeared will be published on our website, www.asa.org.uk on 4 June. In the meantime, please treat the contents of this letter as confidential until the details referred to above are published.[/color]

So no fine or major sanction, even after a blatant failure to follow ASA rulings on this scale.  And what guarantee the same thing will not happen in the future.

Talk about the ASA being a cosy old boy's club Shocked Angry Smiley

At least the ASA attempted to do something, whereas OfCon would have done nothing, the ASA has accepted that it was a publishers fault and have seen paperwork to confirm this, if so then I cannot see how they can blame YELL, I do feel that if  the "error" is repeated then the ASA will do something.

I have had success with the ASA in the past with similar local complaints.
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2008 at 1:47pm by derrick »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #42 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 2:16pm

derrick wrote on Jun 8th, 2008 at 1:41pm:
At least the ASA attempted to do something, whereas OfCon would have done nothing, the ASA has accepted that it was a publishers fault and have seen paperwork to confirm this, if so then I cannot see how they can blame YELL, I do feel that if  the "error" is repeated then the ASA will do something.

Derrick,

I do agree that at least the ASA have managed to get something done (assuming there is not then a further error in the future).  However it is just very disappointing that when an error like this is made after previous enforcement efforts there is not a fine that would encourage these publishers to take more care in the future.

It seems the law is not so lenient when you or I stray just a few mph over the limit or forget to renew our road fund licence or get our car MOTed by the appropriate date.  A friendly letter reminding us about the matter and to take some action to remedy our error is not what we get in response is it. Wink Roll Eyes

<div style=

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #43 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 2:28pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jun 8th, 2008 at 2:16pm:
derrick wrote on Jun 8th, 2008 at 1:41pm:

Derrick,

I do agree that at least the ASA have managed to get something done (assuming there is not then a further error in the future).  However it is just very disappointing that when an error like this is made after previous enforcement efforts there is not a fine that would encourage these publishers to take more care in the future.

It seems the law is not so lenient when you or I stray just a few mph over the limit or forget to renew our road fund licence or get our car MOTed by the appropriate date.  A friendly letter reminding us about the matter and to take some action to remedy our error is not what we get in response is it. Wink Roll Eyes

I agree somewhat, but if the ASA has seen documentation that YELLs instructions have not been carried out, then I cannot see how they can uphold the complaint against YELL!

In my opinion it is the publishers who are at fault and the ASA has taken on board that "correct wording is now appearing in all filler ads", as they say; - "
Because there was an error on the part of the publishers and steps have been taken to avoid this happening in future, we will close the case without referring it to the ASA Council.
"

p.s .
You will not get fined because your MOT is out of date unless you use the vehicle on a public road  Wink

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #44 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 4:02pm

derrick wrote on Jun 8th, 2008 at 2:28pm:
In my opinion it is the publishers who are at fault and the ASA has taken on board that "correct wording is now appearing in all filler ads", as they say; - "
Because there was an error on the part of the publishers and steps have been taken to avoid this happening in future, we will close the case without referring it to the ASA Council.
"

But why does the publisher/printer not suffer any financial penalty for the error (for instance having to circulate a correction sheet to every home that has received the defective directory at their expense) and/or why is the publisher/printer not also subject to complying with the ASA's rules?  After all no paper based advert can appear without the intervention of a printer and/or surely yellow pages are also responsible for checking proof copies of the phone book before they go to press?  If Yellow Pages did not check a proof copy was compliant with the correct wording before the phone books were printed and/or did not check sample copies after they were printed then surely they are liable.  This is an argument you might perhaps like to try advancing with the ASA?

Quote:
p.s . You will not get fined because your MOT is out of date unless you use the vehicle on a public road  Wink

But you will now get fined for not having a tax disk unless you have completed a Statutory Off the Road Notification (SORN) when the tax disk is due to be renewed.  This will happen even if you never take the car on the public road but have not completed a SORN declaration.

Expect things to go the same way with the MOT once they have fully completed the implementation of their computerised MOT program.
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2008 at 4:02pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge