Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 50
Send Topic Print
NEG propaganda (Read 711,232 times)
idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Re: NEG propaganda
Reply #75 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 11:03pm

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #76 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 7:55am

This was mentioned last night on Real Radio Yorkshire's news. It was very brief and just said that GP surgeries are switching to "more expensive" 0844 numbers. They have longer news bulletins at 1pm and 6.30pm where they have extended reports and I hope that they will do a follow-up on this.

I think that this Times (and others) have certainly got the ball rolling.

There are really two aspects that must be reported:

1. Cost to callers, whether they be UK landline, mobile or public phone box.
2. Difficulty for calls to be made from overseas.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #77 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 8:57am

Dave wrote on Jul 24th, 2007 at 7:55am:
There are really two aspects that must be reported:

1. Cost to callers, whether they be UK landline, mobile or public phone box.
2. Difficulty for calls to be made from overseas.

and also

3. Exclusion from 0844 SurgeryLine numbers from Inclusive Call Packages to all 01 and 02 numbers such as BT Option 3 that cost only between £4 and £8 per month these days

4. 0844 doctors calls therefore being part of a class of stealth premium rate business phone calls that are putting an extra £200 or more per annum on most domestic phone bills and/or mobile bills that should not be there.

5. That the regulator Ofcom is failing in its primary duty under the Communications Act 2003 to protect the UK citizen consumer by not using its backstop powers under the Communications Act 2003 to impose big penalties on businesses that middescribe these numbers as local or national call or low cost call like NEG.

6. That the regulator is failing in its primary duty under the Communications Act 2003 to protect the UK citizens consumer by not using its backstop powers under the Communications Act 2003 to prevent public sector contact centres using anything other than an 01 02 or 03 phone number for customer contact.

7. That the failure of the regular to adequately fulfil its primary duty under the Communications Act 2003 should be the subject of appropriate investigate by the relevant Parliamentary Select committee and/or by the Parliamentary Ombudsman.

8. That It appears that like the BBC, which Ofcom has so cheekily complained about over Premium Rate numbers that it allowed to exist, that Ofcom has entirely forgotten who it owes its primary duty to and that this primary duty is to the protection of the UK citizen consumer and not the profitability of UK businesses.
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2007 at 9:01am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #78 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 9:07am

idb wrote on Jul 23rd, 2007 at 11:03pm:

Really a better article than the one in The Times because it is harder hitting and a lot stronger on saying "this is wrong and should not be happening".

But obviously still missing the key point about the exclusion of these calls from fixed price calling plans on landlines and mobiles so that the real difference is up to 40p per minute on a mobile vs zero p per minute on a mobile if that call was part of a bundle allowance of say 500 minutes per month.
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2007 at 9:08am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #79 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 9:09am

Some comments by the general public on the Times article:----

Its about time the public realised that GP surgeries are private businesses whose primary objective is to make profits for the partners, the GP's themselves.
Remember that when you cannot get through to your GP on the phone it is because the practice decided to allocate the funding from the NHS in the way it choose. Look at the car your GP is driving next time you are at the surgery and you will see where much of the increase in funding to Primary Care has gone

Please why are doctors and NEG allowed to get away with this. Something should me done about it.

It's quite clear why companies or anyone switches to 084 and 087 numbers. It is so that the callers to these numbers are ultimately going to pay the ongoing costs such as rental etc. for them. I think It's daylight robbery that these people should be allowed to get away with it, because mark my words, when the funds need building up, the time that you are kept waiting will get longer and longer.

It is a disgrace the greedy GPs are allowed to make money this way. Surely Ofcom must do some thing about this and get them to change back to 01/02 numbers.

The best thing to do is vote with your feet. I changed surgeries and was also plesently surprised to also find a far superior doctor and far better reception staff. It was win win win and I recomend it. If a sugery pulls strokes like rip off phone lines they most likely are not very good on many fronts, this was my experiance

To answer Dr Borrill

If someone is taken ill overseas the doctor may need medical history and exact current medication. This could be vital. I know of someone whose foreign attending doctor couldnt get thro to the surgery in UK on a 0844 number, therefore denying patient best care.

BT has ringback service for 15p. If line is engaged then you will get ringback. Much better than holding on a 5p a min 0844 number.
Surgeries deliberately disconnect their 01/02 number on insistence of NEG to maximise income. Absolute disgrace.

I'd just like to say how gratefull I am that I am not one of Dr Borill's patients. Having had the experience of being injured abroad it was reassuring to be able to discuss the issues ( local op in 3rd World / fly home for private op / fly home and attend A&E) with my local GP on a regular BT landline

Given the free call packages offered by reputable providers - such as TelecomPlus or Utility Warehouse, dialling the normal surgery numbers doesn't cost the patient a penny. Now with the 0844 number, it costs money because it's not classed as a free number. How can they say it costs less because you're on the phone less??? Ridiculous, and another stealth cost. Not only do I now pay to ring my surgery, where I didn't pay before, I'm now in a heightened state of anxiety and worry over increased expenditure. Given GPs now earn over £200,000 a year, and still opt out of the 'Out of Hours' service, they earn far too much

immoral and unprincipalled

Edna, Blandford, Dorset

The massive rise in GPs salaries - no strings attached - has not resulted in a rise in productivity. No surprise there - anyone who has ever run a business could have told the government that simply paying someone up to or over their 'comfort level' is a strategy that only ever results in the recipient wanting to do less, not more work, to enjoy their new-found wealth. Our doctors see themselves as office workers: they do no out-of- hours work - that's given to locums - and home visits are virtually unheard of. If they also start charging the patients to make appointments, that will simply fit in perfectly with the general, offhand attitude we've come to expect. There was a time when doctors were much respected for their dedication and commitment, but there's little sign of that, now they're on their way to the Rich List.

sarah m, bournemouth

0845, 0844 and 087 numbers are being used by many companies and now by GP's to rip the public off. I wrote a letter about these numbers to BBC working lunch ( consumers ) programm but they did not even bother to reply. I think Government must authorise OFCOM to enforce the ban of the use of all these numbers by all public bodies and all other private companies. These days we have to use 087 number even to get a spare part for an appliance. Why consumer protection agencies do not staret a campaign against these numbers?

Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #80 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 9:16am

More comments by readers of The Times :---

That is absolutely disgusting behaviour. Patients don't ring the doctor unless they absolutely have to.

ARK, Norwich, UK

I'm thinking of getting an 0845 number installed at home. Registering the number with all my banks, building societies, do a load of online insurance quotes and quote my phone number.
When the phone starts ringing, and all their call centres start mithering me with products they wish to sell, I'll answer and tell them to hang on a second...
and watch the money roll in.

Richard Garland, Manchester, Greater Manchester

Not so long ago we could turn up for an appointment without booking, and therefore without any cost to the patient....!

I have today spent 19 minutes on hold to the 0844 number of my doctor's surgery. This is on top of the 8 minutes I spent on hold last Monday and the 7 minutes I spent on hold last Wednesday. I then spent between 1 and 2 minutes making my arrangements. This huge telephony expense shows lack of consideration of the patients at a time when GPs are handsomely rewarded

Rip off Britain at work again using the smokescreen which phone companies have used by quoting huge amounts of variable information about different charges. It works for the phone companies now it will work for the GPs. I detect the work of "managers" put in place to run a business and damn the patient.. Note the comment by DHM: If hospitals can fleece the patients why shouldnt the GP. These people are in the "care" industry, remuneration for GPs has gone up in advance of inflation but greed still drives some of them to further excess.

mike gee, bournemouth, uk

They now have an answer machine at my surgery, so instead of a engaged tone, the call is connected only to inform you that the lines are too busy and to try again. So I am paying for the privilege of being told I cannot speak to anybody. It's a farce!

Dan, London,

Just another way to rip off the longsuffering taxpayer - GPs are extremely well rewarded for doing less work that they have in the past

What old days you could never get through, I have never rung my Doctors without taking half a day to get through and then you are always put on hold I spent so long on the telephone thet B.T.suggested it for my family and friends numbers. What B.T. also forgot to mention is the minimum amount per call I can call anyone for an hour for 5p on evening and weekends (when Doctors are closed) but If I talk for 20 seconds it cost 5p and don't for get the VAT. What it does is penalize the sick. Who has tried to live on sickness benefit, I think they think because you are sick you do not need everyday thinks like Gas, electric Water and a house to live in, you know what most of your money goes on!

June Hart, Hockley Essex, U.K

08xx numbers are a racket. The so called 0845 local access numbers to 'save' money for callers is a nonsense for those with mobiles. Companies and organisations should be required by law to offer a national landline number if they have an 08xx number . To get through to my bank I have to use the international number on my mobile should I wish to call without charge. Does the bank know the issues this creates? Most definitely, but it is not in their financial interest to do anything about it.

At least we should be given the choice; to call a local number at less cost to the patient

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #81 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 9:19am

More comments by the public on The Times :---

You can get around this problem by using the website "Say No to 0870" . This publishes the normal numbers that you can dial instead of the non-geographic premium numbers.

The link to the website is :
http://www.saynoto0870.com

Richard Wyld, Effingham, UK

Probably the biggest user of these "revenue sharing" numbers, and certainly the one with the longest calls is NHS Direct.

With calls averaging 25 minutes it could cost 75p to call which will not be included in any calling plan

GJ, Swindon, UK

It's simple really....patients should have to give a landline number to be contacted by their surgery. Then the surgery won't be paying out as much on calls and won't need to go down the line of 0844 numbers.
Maybe they should also start charging for missed appointments but that's another issue for another discussion.

Helen, Midlothian, Scotland

Surely Ofcom must do something about this scandal. Doctors should not be forcing patients to pay for their new phone systems. By doing this using NEG doctors are forcing patients to pay many thousands more than the true cost and this is no doubt amounting to millions of pounds nationally. This is nothing more than a rip-off perpetrated by NEG and their doctors. It is a disgrace to the medical profession.

Mike Kelly, Reading

No patient should have to pay a premium line to phone a doctor and no public service should have to phone a mobile (premium rate) number to contact a customer. The standard land line service is all that should be used.

jj, Cambs, uk

« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2010 at 7:58pm by Forum Admin »  
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #82 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 9:24am

More comments on The Times website ;---

GPs and the iniquitous company NEG ARE "out to fleece their patients". NEG are out to make excessive profits out of sick people who are calling a health service. Calls to 0844 are always more costly. The public should be able to choose whether to call a premium rate or a normal number when calling an essential service such as a doctor.

Mike Kelly, Reading

If I call a doctor’s surgery that uses normal telephone numbers (01 or 02) it usually costs 3p/min, but as I pay my phone company an extra £10 a month, all my 01 and 02 calls are “freeâ€.
If my doctor was using one of those dreadful 0844 numbers, the call would cost me 5p/min at all times, and they would receive about half of my call charges as a extra fee.

I would change my doctor.

kevin kearney, Liverpool,

To say that the 0844 number gives the advantage of a single contact number is disingenuous. The same can be achieved with an 01 or 02 number.

PaulK, Thornton

think it is terrible that the GPs surgeries telephone area code will cease and we will need to use 0844 numbers which are more expensive. It is already hard for pensioners to manage on their limited income and they are the ones who need the doctors most. Not fair on the other people who live on shoestring budgets either. It should not be allowed.

Lee To, Swindon, UK

It is shocking that even GP's are now ripping off consumers by using these types of numbers. It certainly isn't fair !!

JB, Manchester

Can I echo the earlier contributor and ask when the Times is going to do a story about the vast cost to the NHS of mobile calls?

Patients lack of a fixed line is costing the NHS millions as hospital secretaries, midwives, distict nurses and family doctors are forced to phone mobile numbers a huge costs compared to a local call.

I am also a GP and the costs of phone bills has risen more than any other cost in the last few years, mainly due to the large number of calls we have to make to mobiles.

Perhaps patients who do not have a fixed line should not expect to be phoned by their health care workers

Dr Trefor Roscoe, Sheffield,

My landline calls are free as I subscribe to Option 3. I pay 2p per minute to call one daughter in Hong Kong and 1 p to call another in Canada. It seems ridiculous to have to pay more to call my doctor down the road.

Stephanie McKenzie-Hill, Uckfield,

I pay a flat rate of £23.49 a month which gives me all 01 and 02 numbers 24/7 and includes the phone line rental. It used to be a good deal. Now more and more companies use 0870, and 084 numbers, and I have to pay for these calls on top. Why do they do it? There is only one answer. Greed.
Doctors should not be allowed to use these 0844 numbers. If I phone my surgery, which is an hour's walk away, it is only because I have to. There is no bus going there, and I don't own a car. Incidentally my surgery hasn't treated me in the past 3 years at all. Do they refuse to collect the allowance they get for having me on their List?
Beryl, WINDSOR, England

Sorry, but I couldn't understand why the change of numbers have occurred: were the doctors offered new mobile phones with the new prefix?

Bernardo, QUELUZ, Portugal

So why do GPs do it?
As the article states, the GPs pay for the installation of the system. This will run to thousands, so any suggestion of GPs profiteering from this system seems misplaced.
Maybe, just maybe, they are trying to provide their patients with better access to the surgery by phone.
I guess we could always go back to the old days when you could never get through. I suspect the same people moaning now were moaning equally vociferously then.

Simon, Poole,
The use of 0844 without providing a geographic alternative number is truly a scandal. It significant that Ofcom say "that use of the numbers by public sector bodies was “not appropriate†and there were cheaper options".
Surely, doctors must be compelled to provide an alternative geographic number to 0844 - otherwise this is another stealth tax on the public and a tax on the old and sick in particular!!

Mike Kelly, Reading

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #83 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 9:29am

More comments on The Times article :---

Absolutely unacceptable.

Michael Harding, Tenterden, Kent

"Scott Russell, of NEG, said that patients calling the Surgery Line system spent two minutes on average on each call, compared with 5½ minutes before."

It will be of interest to have the full explanation for this reasoning. Many surgeries will only take appointment bookings at certain times of day and it it takes many attempts before a connection can be made. I cannot see that patients will spend any less time on these calls because of the prefix change.

Alan Challoner, Llanerchymedd, Wales UK

My surgery uses a normal local call telephone number. However the greatest rise in practice utilities over the last 5 years has been telephone calls because patients increasingly use mobile phones instead of land lines. GP's are paying premium rate to call patients on mobiles. Ofcom says that public sector shouldn't use 0844 numbers, but
GP's are encouraged by the Department of Health through the quality and outcomes framework to have a single access number for emergencies. The 0844 system allows this as calls can be automatically diverted out of hours to the out of hours provider without the need for an answering machine and the patient making a second call. Having just spent £12000 on a new phone system and an annual phone bill of similar size I resent the portrayal that GPs are out to fleece their patients. If hospitals can charge premium patient phone and car parking rates why shouldn't GPs be able to marginally offset the costs of a single access number which improves safety

DHM, chichester,

One way to get action taken over this immoral practice would be for all those whose surgeries adopt 0844 numbers to use the (free) 999 number instead - my guess is that a determined campaign along these lines would provoke the authorities to ensure all surgeries used normal, cheaper, numbers instead.Giles Falconer, Sleaford, Lincolnshire

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #84 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 9:46am

loddon wrote on Jul 24th, 2007 at 9:29am:
Alan Challoner, Llanerchymedd, Wales UK

If hospitals can charge premium patient phone and car parking rates why shouldn't GPs be able to marginally offset the costs of a single access number which improves safetyDHM, Chichester

Would that be the same single access number that improves safety from overseas by either blocking all access to your doctor and/or turning it into a £1 per minute call? Shocked Angry Cry

Why does this doctor or NEG rep (he is claarly one of the two) not explain why they cannot use an 01/02 voip geographic number that can be redirected anywhere they want it to.

I have allways found doctors to be arrogant individuals who dictate to you as though you are a naughty pupil rarher than treating you as a valued customer who might take your business elsewhere if the service is not what customers want.

Speaking of which I would urge anyone with an NEG 0844 doctors surgery to move elsewhere and to make a point to the national newspapers that this is why they have chosen to do so.  However if another doctor refuses to take you on because you are moving to avoid 0844 then you should publicise that to a national newspaper and to the highest level of the NHS's official complaints procedure (which ends at the Parliamentary Ombudsman).
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2007 at 9:48am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #85 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 9:56am

The Daily Mail article has managed to generate only one comment from the "public" so far!!!!  :----

With LIFT (Local Investment Finance Trust) gaining a bigger private foothold by the day in GPs' surgeries and Health Centres, and doctors threatened with bankruptcy and redundancy if they fail to balance their books, it's no wonder they'll do all they can to "make a swift buck". What we need is the people who thought this all up plus the ones who are happily carrying it out behind our backs to be packed off to the USA, where presumably they'd be happy surviving on private medical insurance.

- Bob Edwards, UK

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #86 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 10:02am

I cannot find any public comments on The Telegraph website.  Do they have a facility for comment on their articles?   I cannot find it.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #87 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 10:10am

Michael Summers of The Patients Association has just been interviewed for several minutes on BBC News 24 (9.55am Tuesday July 24th).

He said that patients were generally happy with the actual treatment they receive from their doctors when they could get to see them but that the greatest issue patients had was with accessing their doctors at convenient times and then also mentioned the high cost of accessing their doctors on expensive non standard priced 0844 numbers.  Mr Summers seemed to feel strongly on this issue.

The BBC presenter then totally ignored this as most of them seem to be under strict instructions never to criticise 084/7 numbers for fear of their own 0870 numbers again coming under scrutiny.

So with great respect to loddon it is actually the current government survey of patients views that is driving media coverage but it provides the perfect opportunity for us to raise the issue because it has actually been raised in this survey as I understand it?
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2007 at 10:12am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #88 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 10:12am

The Telegraph article also quotes Ofcon :---

"However, the telcoms watchdog, Ofcom, has said it is not appropriate for public sector organisations to use the more expensive phone lines. "

Also :----

"Joyce Robins, co-director of Patient Concern, said: “It is quite ridiculous. People should not pay more for their calls to their GP. I thought this had been stopped by the Government, but they have obviously found a loophole. "
“It can be very difficult to get through to your surgery in some cases and you can run up quite a bill.”

And NEG :---

"Scott Russell, of telephone service provider Network Europe Group (NEG), said that patients spent on average three and a half minutes less on the phone when calling the Surgery Line system.
He said it does not cost patients any more to make the call, it simply removes some of the profits made by the call providers."

So Neg rake off the profits instead of some other 'call provider' ... and that makes it quite alright then??!!!  NEG can perpetrate a rip off with impunity because they are only diverting the ill-gotten gains from another exploitative greedy phone company.  Ofcon surely must do something about this outrage now.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #89 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 5:57pm

loddon wrote on Jul 24th, 2007 at 10:12am:
So Neg rake off the profits instead of some other 'call provider' ... and that makes it quite alright then??!!!  NEG can perpetrate a rip off with impunity because they are only diverting the ill-gotten gains from another exploitative greedy phone company.  Ofcon surely must do something about this outrage now.
To be honest, there is an extremely good chance that BT may still be involved in handling the call so BT still makes money (assuming NEG are referring to BT).  If it is BT NEG are referring to then how much BT charge for handling calls is determined by Ofcom cos BT are only allowed to charge what is necessary to carry the call and I assume a very small amount on top to make a profit.

Either way, the amount of money BT or any other provider makes on geographical calls is very, very small.  However, I'd say for 0844 calls that NEG themselves own then I'd say NEG prob get more money from an 0844 than they did from a geographical that.

I like it where Scott says, "... It does not cost patients any more to make the call....", because last time I went to school, a geographical call costing 3p/min (from BT but cheaper from most other providers) compared to an 0844 call costing 5p/min (or more from some providers), then a geographical number is cheaper to call.

His statement if completely flawed in my opinion.  Let's deal with fact:

Geographical numbers:
  • Cheaper cost.
  • You only get charged when they answer so therefore you only pay for the amount of time you are actually speaking to the surgery (with the exception of surgeries using IVR)

0844 numbers:
  • Cost more per minute than geographical numbers
  • You get charged even whilst waiting for surgery
So with the exception of not (or unlikely) getting an engaged tone I personally can't see any advantage for us patients.  The advantage is for the surgery and the fact they may be able to receive revenue from the call but the most advantage has got to be for NEG for the money they make.
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2007 at 6:05pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 50
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge