NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: NEG propaganda
Reply #60 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 11:28pm

leedslad wrote on Jul 17th, 2007 at 1:39pm:
As a result I spent the best part of a day in hospital in Las Palmas for further checks. This all could have been avoided if the local doctor could have spoken with my GP in the UK. My insurance company wouldn't cover me either, so be warned in you're travelling abroad.

Hi there,

I noticed your post and thought you might want to know that there is a journalist at The Times called David Rose, their health correspondent, who is currently writing up a story on the NEG doctor's surgery scam and is wanting to talk to real life examples of people like you who have actually had their own doctor's surgery number change to 0844 as a result of NEG's activities, and so who have to call one of these 084 or 087 numbers and suffered financially as a result.  Your case in Spain with urgent medical treatment in Spain sounded a particularly bad example of the consequences of NEG's cynical and ruthless action.

If you would be interested in talking to him and having your case featured can you send an email to him at david.rose@the-times.co.uk also giving your phone number (home and/or mobile) and name and he will get in touch with you (probably this weekend as he is writing the story for an edition of next week's Times newspaper) to discuss it further.

I hope this is not intruding but I thought you might want to have the chance to strike back against NEG.

Regards,

NGMsGhost

<div style=

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #61 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 11:56pm

The devious NEG, obviously recognizing the problems with not only international termination to 0844 but also from, for example, VOIP networks, started issuing 0870 numbers as alternatives for calls from overseas. Although 0870 can sometimes be called from outside the UK, albeit at an extortionate rate, there is, as we know, no guarantee that the foreign network will terminate the call.

Now, come Feb 2008, or whenever Ofcom implements its solution to 0870, which will make 0870 all but equivalent, rate-wise, to geographic calls, NEG will be in a difficult position - patients will clearly be able to call the 0870 number at geographic rates and thus deny income to NEG.

I'm sure the deviants at NEG are trying to think of a way around this, but what are the options - 0871 is no good as it has the same issues relating to international termination as 0844. I'm sure 0845 will not provide sufficient revenue. 09X is also out of the question. Perhaps a personal number 07 or 06 - I'm not too sure about availbility of terminating these from overseas.

Hopefully the database will grow with a mapping of 0844 to alternative 0870 numbers for surgeries which will be very useful from Feb 2008 onwards.

I wonder what NEG will do about this potential issue? I'm sure this matter is taxing their phenomenal brain power as we speak.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #62 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 9:45am

idb wrote on Jul 20th, 2007 at 11:56pm:
Now, come Feb 2008, or whenever Ofcom implements its solution to 0870, which will make 0870 all but equivalent, rate-wise, to geographic calls, NEG will be in a difficult position - patients will clearly be able to call the 0870 number at geographic rates and thus deny income to NEG.

I'm sure the deviants at NEG are trying to think of a way around this, but what are the options - 0871 is no good as it has the same issues relating to international termination as 0844. I'm sure 0845 will not provide sufficient revenue. 09X is also out of the question. Perhaps a personal number 07 or 06 - I'm not too sure about availbility of terminating these from overseas.

Hopefully the database will grow with a mapping of 0844 to alternative 0870 numbers for surgeries which will be very useful from Feb 2008 onwards.

I wonder what NEG will do about this potential issue? I'm sure this matter is taxing their phenomenal brain power as we speak.
That is a good point.  They're prob working overtime to think of a way of keeping the revenue they get (or don't according to recent poster from NEG) but still allows international access.
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2007 at 9:45am by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
URGENT - TIMES NEED PHOTO TODAY OF NEG PATIENT
Reply #63 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 10:58am

The Times is proposing to run a major article in tomorrow's (Monday's) newspaper about NEG's Surgeryline service based on its conversations with myself and another forum member and further background material that I sent them.  But they want to photograph and include a picture in the article of someone who has had their own doctor's surgery change over to NEG Surgeryline, and ideally who has also suffered a major issue with getting access to their doctor from overseas (eg LeedsLad) or at least suffered a lot more cost and inconvenience in reaching their doctor (ultra).

They want to do this today because the article is planned for tomorrow's newspaper (no time related reason it has to run tomorrow but Monday's newspaper has a lot more space for articles that are not immediately strictly time related to recent hard news events).

Although they would find it easiest to photograph someone in London they do also use photographers in the regions and so could probably get to photograph LeedsLad today in his home area.  Alternatively if anyone has a good quality picture of themselves in head and shoulders format in a JPG or whatever and your own doctor's surgery uses an NEG 0844 phone number then perhaps you may also be suitable for The Times purposes as long as you are prepared to be quoted expressing your outrage over your doctor's use of the NEG Surgeryline product and can email it to them today.

If you can do this please PM me.
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2007 at 1:23am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #64 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 12:21am

Article by David Rose now available at http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article2120932.ece

<<
Why it will cost more to phone your GP

David Rose

Millions of patients could be paying more to telephone their family doctor as surgeries switch to numbers that are more expensive than the traditional local call, The Times has learnt.

Even though the telephone watchdog Ofcom is critical of the idea, about 1,200 practices have abandoned their area code numbers and now use numbers that have an “0844” prefix which may allow them to earn money from patients booking appointments.

Although not officially classed as “premium rate”, the new numbers are up to 4p a minute more expensive to call from a standard BT landline, and can cost up to 40p a minute using a mobile phone or other price plan. GPs’ practices can also receive a rebate of up to 2p a minute on incoming calls.

[...]

The Say No To 0870 campaign against chargeable numbers said that callers were queueing much longer under the Surgery Line system and being left out of pocket. “It is a scandal that doctors are switching to 0844 numbers without providing an alternative geographic number,” a spokesman said. “Although the banned 0870 numbers cost 7p per minute in the week they cost 1.5p per minute at the weekend, whereas 0844 numbers cost 5p per minute at all times. So anyone needing to call their doctor on a Saturday morning is worse off.” Ofcom should do more to address the issue, he said.

The regulator said it had no remit to prescribe what numbers were used by organisations, but added: “Our general advice is that public sector bodies should not use chargeable 08 numbers.” GPs “should be considering the new 03 numbering range. Calls to these numbers cost the same as a geographic call regardless of what type of line the call is made from and can be included in an inclusive minutes package.”
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #65 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 1:41am

I have to say I'm not overly impressed after all the effort put in on this.

I note that NEG get their Scott Russell quoted by name while I only get quoted as a vague representative of the campaign, like a sort of shifty Captain Gatso afraid to reveal their true public identity.  And our forum member loddon, who started the whole thing off, doesn't seem to be mentioned at all, although let us hope that his picture is published in the hard copy newspaper version with some kind of caption as he was promised.

All my points about most people now having fixed price calling plans like BT Option 3 (£7.95 per month) or even cheaper plans at £5 per month for all 01/02 calls and these 084/7 calls costing another £20 per month on top have been totally expunged and just the usual old tosh about it only being 3p vs 5p per minute remains.  Although they do show the astronomic costs of calling NEG Patientline from a BT Payphone vs an 01/02 number in their table, once again the whole descriptive comparison I gave of an elderly 80 year old pensioner not having a mobile and fumbling for enough change to pay the extortionate NEG charge to get a doctor's appointment for their sick wife is excised.

I am beginning to believe there is actually a stock national newspaper approach where this story is always axed back to it only being 3p vs 5p per minute (0844) or 7p per minute (0870) and the much bigger issues of it being a billion pound stealth industry and most households paying another £150 to £200 per extra on their phone bill per annum for formerly normal priced calls are always excised.  However hard one trys to get across the big story of a huge organised commercial ripoff and major regulatory failure by Ofcom the national newspaper's "keep it simple for our moron readers" subs always hack it back to just 3p vs 5p per minute.

Of course tell me I'm wrong and that this was a hugely significant article that is going to mean the end of the road for NEG.

I think not.  Over 1200 surgeries now - these numbers are truly shocking and still the useless NHS does nothing about banning the use of anything other than 01/02 or the new 03 numbers by doctors surgeries. Shocked Angry Cry
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2007 at 1:44am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #66 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 7:39am

NGMsGhost wrote on Jul 23rd, 2007 at 1:41am:
I have to say I'm not overly impressed after all the effort put in on this.

On the other hand it is the number 2 story on The Times website and it is an attention grabbing headline "Why it will cost more to phone your GP".

David Rose has probably flattered by calling us a "campaign" whereas, as far as I know, we are actuallya few anonymous contributors to a discussion forum.

He has revealed that about 1200 GP practices have gone 0844 -- a shocking number and he does say that it l "may allow them to earn money from patients booking appointments".   He also says "But patients’ groups told The Times that the 0844 code put an “unfair financial burden” on pensioners and others with chronic illness or disability who have to contact their surgery regularly. Those taken ill abroad may have difficulty contacting the doctor back home on an 0844 number, as many foreign networks will not connect to them."   Also, “It is a scandal that doctors are switching to 0844 numbers without providing an alternative geographic number,” .   This is surely quite damning. 

But patients’ groups told The Times that the 0844 code put an “unfair financial burden” on pensioners and others with chronic illness or disability who have to contact their surgery regularly. Those taken ill abroad may have difficulty contacting the doctor back home on an 0844 number, as many foreign networks will not connect to them".

Ofcon are quoted -- "Ofcom said that use of the numbers by public sector bodies was “not appropriate” and there were cheaper options".    This surely is a most significant statement -- Ofcon are criticising "public sector bodies".   This is point that must be followed up.   We must quiz Ofcon deeply on this and question Ofcon why they are not doing something about this. 

I would urge contributors to this Forum to write their comments to The Times directly (comment on the article on The Times website) and to write to the editor about the article and issues like Ofcom inaction raised in their article.   I would also suggest that we should draw our MPs attention to this story and ask them to take action in getting this scandal removed.     This is our opportunity to initiate something like a campaign on the whole NGN issue by attacking doctors use of 0844 without an alternative geographic number.    

~ Edited by Dave: Quote box tidied up
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2007 at 8:49am by Dave »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #67 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 9:45am

loddon,

Perhaps I am downplaying the article's significance but it does seem to me to not be very different in tone and content from several other articles that have mentioned the use of 084/7 by public sector organisations and is full of "on the one hand" and "on the other hand" type statements.

It is not written in terms of "public and politicians outraged at use of covert premium rate numbers by doctors to further bump up their already inflated earnings".  Now that would have made an impact.

Perhaps we are approaching the wrong paper on this issue given reader numbers.  What we need is a big article with a sensational headline in the The Sun or the Daily Mirror.

As to useless OfCoN it is nothing new for their spokesman to say public sector bodies shouldn't be using non standard priced numbers and then do nothing at all about it (even though they have the powers to do so under the Communications Act 2003).   Matt Peacock said the same thing on BBC Radio 4 You & Yours in Nov 2004 and promised OfCoN would force the publication of 01/02 alternatives but now OfCon aren't even committed to that.  Instead all they are commited to in conjunction with ICSTIS is allowing more expensive 0871 numbers to replace 0870.

And where were any comments from the Department of Health or from any offical bodies representing GPs in this article - nowhere it seems.  If Mr Rose had been more patient (sorry no pun intended) and waited till this week and done more research it could have been a much better article.

Of course I would imagine that a lot of doctors read The Times so perhaps the article will at least be effective in making new sales by NEG more difficult.  But why did Mr Rose just accept the Ofcom definition of what is a Premium and not refer to the dictionary definition of Premium instead?
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2007 at 9:54am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #68 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 10:06am

A hard hitting headline and good to see it's on the homepage. Where abouts is it in the newspaper?

The amount quoted for a geographical call is 3p/min which is daytime rate on Option 1. No mention of inclusive packages and the evening and weekend rate is given as 1p/min, which is shown as the same as 0845, something which isn't correct for Option 1.

I had hoped for more on the possible consequences should someone fall ill abroad. However, it did mention rates mobile phones and even public phone boxes.

Still, it's a start and even mentions NEG. Let's hope that the NEG name gets the same reputation as Patientline.
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2007 at 10:08am by Dave »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #69 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 10:19am

By the way the fact that this campaign is not more organised is very much a reflection of how Daniel, the owner of this website, wants things to be.

If Daniel had ever called any meetings for supporters (even once a year given travelling distances) and given different people in the campaign different jobs and nominated public spokespeople for the press etc then a great deal more in lobbying terms could have been achieved.

<div style=

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #70 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 11:15am

Dave says "Where abouts is it in the newspaper? "

On page 5.  More than half page is used.   There is a sub-heading "Public sector bodies should not use chargeable 08 numbers"   This is a quote from OfcoN and it seems to me that this is a very significant statement.   The Times has picked it out and highlighted it, lets not be too critical.  If we can get the press on our side we could capitalise on this initial publicity.   Now we should be pressing OfcoN to do something about this - its their area of responsibility and within their remit.   We should urge our MPs to put pressure on Gordon Brown to insist that OfcoN start doing their job properly.   Make OfcoN prove that they are acting for the "citizen consumer".

As NGMsGhost says, perhaps we should start a "Campaign".   If Daniel won't initiate it then we should do it ourselves.  How about getting together for a discussion???   Who would like to attend?   Where?   I could arrange a venue somewhere in Berkshire.  Let me know what you think.   We could work towards getting that sensational headline, but more importantly, we want action by OfcoN or we want them sacked and a proper regulatory Authority installed.

I  agree to involving the Sun, Mirror etc.  The more publicity the better, but remember, it is only a means to an end.   We only want fair play for the citizen and not to be ripped off.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #71 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 11:45am

NGMsGhost wrote on Jul 23rd, 2007 at 9:45am:
loddon,

And where were any comments from the Department of Health or from any offical bodies representing GPs in this article - nowhere it seems.  If Mr Rose had been more patient (sorry no pun intended) and waited till this week and done more research it could have been a much better article.

?

I  empathise with all you say NGMsGhost, and as you know I fully support your views on this and all related issues.
What you say here could well be a further line of enquiry by David Rose and I will suggest it to him.   I forsee another chapter in this saga quite possibly appearing in The Times next Monday. 

Although the scope of Rose's article is somewhat limited I think that is no bad thing.  It focusses on a specific issue of public concern that must be addressed.   It is only a start.   There is every chance that there can be a whole series of articles in the future if we raise awareness of the issues with the press.   It is up to us to continue to talk to the press.   

If anyone, as well as NGMsGhost, has a an idea for future topics, how we address them, or other routes to publicity I suggest they post them here on the Forum or send me a private message.   I will be happy to talk.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #72 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 12:03pm

loddon wrote on Jul 23rd, 2007 at 11:45am:
If anyone, as well as NGMsGhost, has a an idea for future topics, how we address them, or other routes to publicity I suggest they post them here on the Forum or send me a private message.   I will be happy to talk.

loddon,

Are you a marketing man or a public relations man by profession.

You seem to understand how to get publicity for an issue and how to gradually develop that issue and enhance its visibility in the world at large.

<div style=

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #73 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 12:41pm

Unfortunately not.  Just an ex IT Manager.  My understanding of the Press, if I have any at all, arises from my general understanding of human nature -- what am I saying???) --- my wife would never stop laughing if she read this!!  Still I like to pretend.

Admittedly, there are more important, even life and death issues, around that concern me and generally they get their fair share of attention.   This is one of those lesser matters that can be ignored by the powers that be, albeit it has to do with matters of personal freedom and the ordinary person not being bullied, oppressed or ripped-off by big business.   So I think some of us need to devote just a little of our time and attention to getting something that is blatantly wrong put right.

IP Logged

alan99

Reply #74 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 8:48pm

Hi

The Daily Mail also run an article today.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/healthmain.html?in_article...

One reply to the  Times article was very disappointing from a doctor. The guy seemed quite stroppy not very patient orientated.   The  previous entry on this forum from Leedslad explains the problems cleary about 08x numbers from abroad. Also patients may need to cancel long standing appointments from overseas with eg nurses  at the surgery  re routine checkups.

QUOTE "Those taken ill abroad may have difficulty contacting the doctor back home on an 0844 number, as many foreign networks will not connect to them. We are not responsible for your health when you are on holiday in another country you are meant to call the local doctor, we also don't do international visits." UNQUOTE

Dr Borrill, Midlands, UK

Also what is the NEG man in the Times article talking about an average of 2 mins wait for patients. Surely the bottleneck is in the receptionists answering the phone to book an apointment.

I think the Mail may be a good organ for anti 0844 newspieces. Should we try again giving them more ammo.

Alan

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 50
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge