Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Surgeries charge more for calling (Read 174,162 times)
Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Re: Surgeries charge more for calling
Reply #75 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 10:17am

Keith wrote on Oct 8th, 2007 at 9:32am:
Email rec'd this morning:

Thank you for your e-mail below.

I can confirm the statement has now been removed from the PCT's website.

Yours sincerely

Rosemary Fewings

I have emailed back (after checking) to let her know that this is untrue as it is still there.

I received an email from her this morning:

Quote:
I can confirm this page has been removed from the PCT's website.

Yours sincerely

Rosemary Fewings
PA to Jan Stubbings
Chief Executive
Gloucestershire Primary Care Trust
1250 Lansdowne Court
Gloucester Business Park
Gloucester GL3 4AA

Tel:  0845 658 3827
Fax: 0845 658 3801

e-mail: rosemary.fewings@glos.nhs.uk

www.glospct.nhs.uk

On checking, the http://www.glospct.nhs.uk/content/news/2007/september/news110907.html page has, indeed, been totally removed - it now returns a 404).

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #76 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 10:21am

I rec'd another email this morning also and after checking it was true emailed back to thank her.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #77 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 11:13am

We must remember that doctor’s practices are now independent businesses, accountable only to their shareholders or partners.

They do however work under contract to publicly accountable Primary Care Trusts. The proper channel for any complaint about neglect of the public interest is through the PCT.

Unfortunately, by their tolerance of use of 0844 numbers by NHS contractors, many PCTs indicate that they are content for patients to pay for NHS services locally.

The Department of Health indicates that it is content for PCTs to make such decisions.

David

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #78 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 11:37am

See what you mean David, but doctor's are surly accountable to their customers..i.e. patients as it is the government who pays the doctors from our N.I. contributions. If every one decided to (I know it is not going to happen) go to a private doctor these GPs on £100k plus would not have any customers. One way round this may be is if you want to make an appointment is to call in at the surgery (or get someone on your behalf) and to make an appointment at the reception, in fact thinking about it this is not a bad idea.
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2007 at 6:22pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #79 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 2:18pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Oct 9th, 2007 at 11:13am:
We must remember that doctor’s practices are now independent businesses, accountable only to their shareholders or partners.

They do however work under contract to publicly accountable Primary Care Trusts. The proper channel for any complaint about neglect of the public interest is through the PCT.

Unfortunately, by their tolerance of use of 0844 numbers by NHS contractors, many PCTs indicate that they are content for patients to pay for NHS services locally.

The Department of Health indicates that it is content for PCTs to make such decisions.

David

Whilst I concur with what you say about doctors surgeries and PCTs, I am not so sure about your statement on the DoH --- "The Department of Health indicates that it is content for PCTs to make such decisions."    If you look at my letter to Peter Bottomley MP on the Parliamentary Update thread :
http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1130983483/131#131  
you will see that I refer to the letter from Lord Warner to all PCT Chairmen in December 2006 in which he requires PCTs to "ENSURE that patients telephoning practices do not pay more than they would if they called a local geographical telephone number".    I do not think that indicates that the DoH are content for PCTs to use 0844/5 numbers.   Rather the opposite.  

The problem is that the PCTs are not treating Lord Warner's letter with respect, nor are they taking it seriously.    They are ignoring it.    There is no way that allowing surgeries to use 0844/5 is complying with the requirement to ENSURE that patients are NOT charged over the odds.    This is the issue which I am asking Peter Bottomley and other MPs to take up with the Secretary of State and to see that action is taken to compel PCTs to do their job.  

« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2007 at 2:21pm by loddon »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #80 - Oct 10th, 2007 at 1:59am

Aside from the exceptionally unacceptable use of 0844 numbers, a correspondent has asked me to look into what is happening to GPs in Barnsley. It is interesting, but yet more so is the situation in Sheffield.

The NHS Choices website shows that 24 out of the 72 GPs serving Barnsley PCT have telephone numbers beginning 0845 12. This range is allocated to Affiniti Integrated Solutions Ltd, a subsidiary of Kingston Communications, based in Wakefield. I have no evidence, but it seems likely that Affiniti, a provider of outsourced telcomms and wider business services, offers GPs a complete telecomms package which is partly funded through the additional revenue it receives from the additional charges paid by patients calling its 0845 numbers.

Unlike the situation with 0844 revenue sharing numbers, this is not technically a breach of the GMS contract, as no money is paid to the GP. It does however involve patients subsidising taxpayers, who should bear the full burden of funding NHS services "free at the point of use".

A little further research shows other GPs in the region using 0845 12 numbers: 2 in Doncaster PCT, 5 in Kirklees and 34 in Rotherham. The most extraordinary situation is with Sheffield PCT where 91 out of 115 GPs have Affiniti 0845 12 numbers.

I will continue to focus my efforts on the narrow 0844 situation which is gaining good attention and relies on the issue of revenue sharing. I do not wish to dilute or expand the issue until the government has been persuaded to take the necessary step of outlawing revenue sharing by NHS providers.

I cannot however ignore this matter and urge others to take it up for the people of Barnsley, Doncaster, Kirklees and Rotherham, many of whom are paying more to access NHS services than they should. Almost everyone in Sheffield is being scammed, as its local dialling code is 0114, not 0845 12. as one would suspect from looking at a list of local doctors' telephone numbers.

David

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #81 - Oct 10th, 2007 at 8:14am

Well, I know that I have seen a few 0845 numbers for surgeries in Sheffield, but I didn't realise the situation was quite so bad!
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2007 at 8:14am by jgxenite »  

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #82 - Oct 10th, 2007 at 8:50am

jgxenite wrote on Oct 10th, 2007 at 8:14am:
Well, I know that I have seen a few 0845 numbers for surgeries in Sheffield, but I didn't realise the situation was quite so bad!

I also found it hard to believe - please check this out - http://www.nhs.uk/ServiceDirectories/Pages/Trust.aspx?id=5N4&v=2

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #83 - Oct 10th, 2007 at 9:08am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Oct 10th, 2007 at 8:50am:
jgxenite wrote on Oct 10th, 2007 at 8:14am:

I also found it hard to believe - please check this out - http://www.nhs.uk/ServiceDirectories/Pages/Trust.aspx?id=5N4&v=2

Blimey 115 surgeries in one city, no wonder the NHS is falling to bits. There must be an epidemic up in that neck of the woods.

The population in 2001 was 520,700 that is 4,500 a surgery which seems ridiculous. My way they have about 9,000 a surgery I believe.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #84 - Oct 10th, 2007 at 11:16am

I can confirm that Sheffield is not currently suffering from any such epidemic Tongue (well, if it is, it hasn't reached the university yet...  Shocked)

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #85 - Oct 12th, 2007 at 10:26am

Someone has very kindly written a letter to the West Sussex County Times advertising the Downing Street petition about surgeries using 08xxx numbers. The paper has quite a good circulation so let us hope the petition will grow this week end.

IP Logged

vinylweatherman

Reply #86 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 11:19pm

sherbert wrote on Oct 9th, 2007 at 11:37am:
See what you mean David, but doctor's are surly accountable to their customers..i.e. patients as it is the government who pays the doctors from our N.I. contributions. If every one decided to (I know it is not going to happen) go to a private doctor these GPs on £100k plus would not have any customers. One way round this may be is if you want to make an appointment is to call in at the surgery (or get someone on your behalf) and to make an appointment at the reception, in fact thinking about it this is not a bad idea.

Sorry, the bean counters have thought of that too. I tried it with less than an hour before closing, and was told I coudn't book now, but to call in at 8:30 in the morning. I asked whether this could lead to me not being able to make an appointment, and they said it was not a problem as they had plenty of slots, but you had to book them on the day. This ensures that not only do you have to call them, but that everybody has to call all at once and endure the queues. While it may be better to call when they are less busy, it's not allowed because by then all that day's appointments have gone, and you have to call again the next day at 8:30   An advantage of this is than you don't appear on the targets as having waited more than 72 hours to see a doctor, you could try for a week before being able to be seen, but you will be recorded as having been seen the same day (and the doctors will get an award for beating the targets).

If the surgeries needed better phone services, why not an 0845 number. Recent changes lead by BT have rendered these impotent as revenue sharing numbers, and it is at least possible for customers to excercise choice by changing to a telecoms provider that has adopted the 2ppp rate for 0845 - which might be why the other telcos made the same climbdown over 0845, which they used to charge at rates in excess even of the old 4ppp when  standard calls were 3ppp.

Many here have been told to ask their provider to add these 08 numbers to their discounted packages. They have short memories, as BT tried this a long while ago with 0870, and C & W took them to the old OFTEL over their own blocks of 0870 numbers that BT were allowing their subscribers to use their discounts on, and OFTEL ruled that BT were not permitted to add 0870 numbers to discount packages in the same way as georgaphic ones. I don't believe this was ever overturned, although events have moved on since. What it does show, is that it is not the perogative of our own providers to add 0844 to our packages, it is actually something they are not allowed to do on the grounds it prevents the other providers of these "premium rate" numbers from making enough for their revenue share deals.
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2007 at 11:29pm by vinylweatherman »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #87 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 11:26pm

vinylweatherman wrote on Nov 2nd, 2007 at 11:19pm:
... This ensures that not only do you have to call them, but that everybody has to call all at once and endure the queues. While it may be better to call when they are less busy, it's not allowed because by then all that day's appointments have gone, and you have to call again the next day at 8:30   An advantage of this is than you don't appear on the targets as having waited more than 72 hours to see a doctor, you could try for a week before being able to be seen, but you will be recorded as having been seen the same day (and the doctors will get an award for beating the targets).

I would contact your local paper and TV with that, sounds like a good story to me. Do you know anyone else who's spent a lot of money calling them?

IP Logged

vinylweatherman

Reply #88 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 11:38pm

I don't think this issue has hit very hard here yet. It seems my surgery is one of very few that have gone down this route, and have pretended that we are not paying more. It will take a while for this to get noticed, although the increasing press coverage might make more people realise.
   I think part of the problem is that most people think 0844 is just another 0845, and are probably happy now that BT and other providers have made it cheaper to call 0845 at peak rate than the old geographic number. The big scam is that the surgeries have used 0844 and NOT 0845, which is misleading.
  I looked at a site that advertises 08 numbers, and it's rates for callers to "your" 0845 number were roughly "local rate" at 3ppp and 1ppp; however, their 0844 blocks were advertised as 5ppp AT ALL TIMES.
   I suspect it will be the lack of a peak/off peak difference that will scupper their attempts to make out these are "local rate" numbers, as only premium rate numbers have this model of there being no off peak reduction.
   I am wary of pursuing this too aggressively, since I read that doctors are striking off patients that complain about this issue. While illegal, it means a sick patient has to wade through laborious procedures to get redress, and even then will probably be treated coldly by their surgery.

Perhaps if this can be made an ELECTION ISSUE over the next couple of years, something will be done about it.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #89 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 5:42am

See this link:

END TO HIGH CALL COSTS TO GPs - HOWARTH

It is a source of great joy to note the success of so many different campaigns

David

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge