Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15
Send Topic Print
NHS hospitals on 0844 rip-off numbers (Read 242,202 times)
SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: NHS hospitals on 0844 rip-off numbers
Reply #135 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 1:53pm

One notes the formal statement of DH policy quoted above

sherbert wrote on Jul 21st, 2010 at 9:14pm:
"A spokesman for the Department of Health said: 'We can't be in favour of decentralisation, and greater autonomy for NHS and then tell them how to ...'"

The Directions on telephone numbers issued last December remain in force and there is no indication of them being rescinded. There is however little hope that the DH will now take a stronger line on the proper determination that 084 numbers are generally more expensive, than that taken under the previous government, which is generally thought to have been too much in favour of Directions from the centre.

It must be likely that the forthcoming response to the Consultation on proposals to impose Directions on NHS Car Parking charges in England will announce the issuing of Guidance, rather than Directions.

My personal view is that detailed car parking, and other physical access, arrangements are best resolved locally in line with the clearly understood principles of the NHS, so that all relevant circumstances, including the associated costs incurred by patients and visitors, (which do differ widely) can be properly taken into account. The cost of calling particular types of telephone number are however set nationally by the telephone companies and there is no local variation that requires consideration. Furthermore, the effort necessary to clearly understand that 084 numbers are generally more expensive is sadly considerable, given the tendency to use BT charges as if they were typical and the way in which providers of 084 numbers are given to misrepresentation. The DH should be serving local NHS bodies by providing them with clear advice that their duty under the NHS Constitution cannot be fulfilled if they continue to use 084 numbers.

If "greater autonomy" extends to permitting the essential principles of a National Health Service to be disregarded, then "NHS" becomes nothing more than a meaningless name.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #136 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 9:34pm

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/8334386.Hospital_restores_01268_code_to_its_numb...

Quote:
Hospital restores 01268 code to its number

8:50am Tuesday 17th August 2010

BASILDON Hospital has re-instated the 01268 dialling code to its telephone number following pleas from the public.

People ringing the hospital can now dial 01268 524900 to reach the switchboard number, instead of 0845 1553111, which was brought in last year.

The move follows concerns from some people who confused the normal rate 0845 number with a premium 0870 telephone number, which is in fact, much more expensive.

A hospital spokesman said: “We have listened to the concerns voiced by our patients and the public since the introduction of the 0845 number.

“We introduced that number so our switchboard can operate from a different venue, namely Orsett Hospital, in the event of a disaster, such as a fire.

“The 0845 number is not a premium rate one and such numbers are included in some phone providers ‘free’ call packages, for example BT.”

Jenny Galpin, director of estates and facilities, at the hospital, added: “Although those patients who regularly have to call the hospital were given direct dial numbers for wards starting with 01268, we realised most of the public would prefer it if we brought our main 01268 switchboard number back.”

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #137 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 9:01am

Dave wrote on Aug 18th, 2010 at 9:34pm:
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/8334386.Hospital_restores_01268_code_to_its_numb...

Quote:

BASILDON Hospital has re-instated the 01268 dialling code to its telephone number following pleas from the public.

The move follows concerns from some people who confused the normal rate 0845 number with a premium 0870 telephone number, which is in fact, much more expensive.

A hospital spokesman said: “We have listened to the concerns voiced by our patients and the public since the introduction of the 0845 number.

“We introduced that number so our switchboard can operate from a different venue, namely Orsett Hospital, in the event of a disaster, such as a fire."

This is good news but it raises a few important questions and goes to illustrate that many responsible people in the NHS are still themselves very confused and misunderstand the telephone numbering system and associated charging regimes.   This hospital spokesman was presumably well prepared to make the quoted statements and yet still said several things which knowledgeable people would seriously question.

The most surprising thing about this announcement is that there is no reference whatsoever to the "Directions" issued by the Dept of Health and announced by the Health Minister that numbers such as 0845 are banned if they cause patients pay more for a call than if they had dialled a normal geographic number.    The hospital states this change is entirely due to pressure from patients?   Huh Shocked

Are we really expected to believe this?   Is this purely a coincidence that it comes shortly after the "banning" of 084 numbers within the NHS?   Wink Smiley

The hospital says “We introduced that number so our switchboard can operate from a different venue, namely Orsett Hospital, in the event of a disaster, such as a fire."   This is revealing because it exposes the lies perpetrated by the phone service industry and others when they claim, as they have over many years, that this sort of flexibility and ability to redirect calls, is only available by using rip-off 084/7 numbers and this is one of the justifications they use for 084/7 numbers instead of normal geographic numbers.   Angry Angry

The spokesman said "The move follows concerns from some people who confused the normal rate 0845 number with a premium 0870 telephone number, which is in fact, much more expensive."    We've got news for this spokesman --- the public are NOT confused at all -- you are!!    We know that all 084/7 numbers are a rip-off!!   You clearly don't understand what you are talking about!!  Roll Eyes    The spokesman still makes reference to the exceptional case of BT which currently includes 0845 and 0870 numbers within its packages, as though that is meaningful, but fails to mention that BT continues to charge premium rates to all other callers outside its packages.

It is a pity that it is necessary to criticise a hospital and its spokesman after it has made a highly commendable decision and has done the right thing -- at last.   But this criticism is caused by the intransigence and determination of those in key positions to continue to put about misleading informatuion and their failure to be honest with the public!!   Sad

When are they going to start being honest and straightforward with the public?
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2010 at 9:10am by loddon »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #138 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 10:58am

You could alway's e-mail the press officer here: http://www.basildonandthurrock.nhs.uk/page.asp?node=41&sec=Contact_us#PressOffic...

and point them in the right direction  Wink

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #139 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 11:21am

loddon wrote on Aug 20th, 2010 at 9:01am:
Dave wrote on Aug 18th, 2010 at 9:34pm:
Quote:

This is good news but it raises a few important questions and goes to illustrate that many responsible people in the NHS are still themselves very confused and misunderstand the telephone numbering system and associated charging regimes.

The comments made above, as well as those added to the Echo article, indicate that confusion and misunderstanding on points of fine detail is widespread. I will refrain from addressing each of them, or trying to guess which are due to genuine ignorance rather than deliberate deceit. I do not disregard the importance of "getting it right", however I feel that there are quite enough cases where dishonesty and misunderstanding are used to support the improper retention of 084 numbers to occupy our campaigning energies.

The Chief Executives of all the hospitals listed here have been briefed repeatedly (I can supply email addresses). I suggest that they are more in need of further efforts to point them in the right direction than those who have already seen the light - if only through a mist of confusion.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #140 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 10:14pm

loddon wrote on Aug 20th, 2010 at 9:01am:
The hospital says “We introduced that number so our switchboard can operate from a different venue, namely Orsett Hospital, in the event of a disaster, such as a fire."   This is revealing because it exposes the lies perpetrated by the phone service industry and others when they claim, as they have over many years, that this sort of flexibility and ability to redirect calls, is only available by using rip-off 084/7 numbers and this is one of the justifications they use for 084/7 numbers instead of normal geographic numbers.   Angry Angry

If it is the case that disaster recovery facilities have been compromised, then these people should be sacked! Disaster recovery plans should not be influenced by pressure from the public.

The fact that they can now revert back to a geographic number shows that either they have sacrificed part of the disaster recovery plan or really they chose to us a premium number and then lie about it! (Well they did the latter anyway.)

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #141 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 10:41pm

Dave wrote on Aug 20th, 2010 at 10:14pm:
If it is the case that disaster recovery facilities have been compromised, then these people should be sacked! Disaster recovery plans should not be influenced by pressure from the public.

The fact that they can now revert back to a geographic number shows that either they have sacrificed part of the disaster recovery plan or really they chose to us a premium number and then lie about it! (Well they did the latter anyway.)

It is easy to understand how switching the destination point of a non-geographic number provides a ready means of dealing with a situation where a local telephone connection is cut off. That is not to say that alternative arrangements could not be made to re-route a geographic number if necessary. It is all a matter of cost.

I have always argued that if the expense of having a non-geographic number is worth the benefit, then a 03 number must be used, except where it is appropriate for callers to pay for the benefit. In the unlikely event that the issues are fully and accurately understood, this hospital has decided that the disaster recovery benefits of having a 03 number do not outweigh the additional cost.

(I am not sure if repeating a half-baked story from a telephone salesman or conveying an obvious misunderstanding counts as "lying". If we approach these NHS bodies convinced that they know exactly what they are doing, then we are perhaps likely to be less successful in persuading them to change than we could be.)

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #142 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 9:28am

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #143 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 9:42am

sherbert wrote on Sep 12th, 2010 at 9:28am:

As followers of my feeds will know, I am very busy at present. Perhaps someone would like to follow this up with the DH and the media to see if the ban on use of expensive telephone numbers is also going to be scrapped.

If NHS hospitals need money badly, perhaps they should be allowed (or compelled) to switch to 090 premium rate service numbers.

To be fair, I was no fan of Andy Burnham's car park charges plan. It was totally lacking any sense of principle, being largely pragmatic and heavily weighted in favour of one rather noisy special interest patient's group.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #144 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 11:27am

The average charge per hour for hospital car parks in England in 2008/9 was £1.09.

To make a visit to see a sick relative or friend or being an outpatient, this is  outrageous.

SCV may have this sort of money to spend, however most of us don't.

This can not be right, whatever our government and SCV might think Sad

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #145 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 1:08pm

sherbert wrote on Sep 12th, 2010 at 11:27am:
The average charge per hour for hospital car parks in England in 2008/9 was £1.09.

To make a visit to see a sick relative or friend or being an outpatient, this is  outrageous.

SCV may have this sort of money to spend, however most of us don't.

This can not be right, whatever our government and SCV might think Sad

There can be a serious issue with any parking charge for patients and with excessive charges for the area in other cases.

I drive a car in London, so I must have that sort of money to spend when visiting friends at home, whether they are sick or well.

How much do people have to spend visiting a sick relative or friend in hospital, or attending an outpatient appointment, by public transport or taxi, is that not equally outrageous?

There are undoubtedly many cases where hospital car park charges are excessive. There are undoubtedly others where they are reasonable and there is a proper scheme for exemptions. There are probably cases where there is no charge and the spaces are taken up by those with no business at the hospital. There may be cases where parking charges were dropped, more staff and visitors starting using their cars and a local bus service was cancelled. There are probably cases where there is no charge and all works well.

I am no fan of this government and will be making the strongest possible objections to the proposals in the Health White Paper. This is however one issue which can only be sorted out locally, based on the principles of the NHS.

On telephone numbers, this has to be dealt with nationally. The principles of the NHS demand that all use of revenue sharing numbers in the delivery of NHS services be prohibited - that is simple. Some issues are clear black and white, others are striped.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #146 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 2:27pm

I think I have said earlier on this thread, that I had a friend whose wife was in hospital for three weeks and ended up paying £60 a week to park his car at the hospital just to visit her daily. It just ain't right.

I have also mentioned elsewhere that we used to have a 'free' minibus linking up three hospitals in my neck of the woods, until Blair and his cronies put an end to that. Angry

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #147 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 6:41pm

sherbert wrote on Sep 12th, 2010 at 2:27pm:
It just ain't right.

I totally agree. I cannot think where it could be appropriate to require someone to incur that level of parking fee.

The previous government is not generally renowned for withdrawing funding for the NHS that was provided by its predecessor, however if that is what happened in this case then again, it is not right. The previous government left office with a policy of being ready to cut the NHS budget whereas the present government is guaranteeing to maintain it. It is somewhat odd to deal with Labour as cutting back public spending on the NHS whilst the Conservatives follow the opposite path.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #148 - Sep 17th, 2010 at 10:22am

More on my 'pet subject' Angry Angry Angry

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1312545/Hospital-parking-fury-Patients-v...

I guess the answer is don't get ill. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2010 at 10:24am by sherbert »  

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #149 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 7:57am

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge