Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23
Send Topic Print
Police introduce charges for non-emergency calls (Read 383,472 times)
sherbert
Supreme Member

Re: Counting cost of police calls
Reply #45 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 3:36pm

I would assume there is nothing to stop land line callers are able to use the  01707 number as well?? Undecided
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2007 at 8:17pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

vinylweatherman

Re: Police introduce charges for non-emergency cal
Reply #46 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 6:03pm

I have just tried to contact Thames Valley police. Initially, when they opened the 0845 contact centre they said we should not worry as we would still be able to contact local police offices.
  I wanted to find out if someone had handed in some lost keys, and found that they had sneakily reneged on their promise. I phoned the 0845 number, but my query was totally unsuited to the service, and all they could do was put me through to the local police office. The first attempt failed, the 0845 service dropped the line, and it was only on the second attempt that I got through, but to the wrong place, who tried to put me through a third time, only to return to tell me it was only an answering machine. They were taken aback at how angry I had become at this stage, having wasted 15 minutes to find out no-one was manning the local station, so I wasted some more complaining that not only was their service a rip-off, but was not fit for purpose, as my query CLEARLY required me to contact my local station. At first, I was told that they could not give out numbers as they were on an internal network, but the second member who felt my annoyance and failed to put me through gave me a direct number to keep trying. It was 01344 823523 - the Found property office of Bracknell police station. This is clearly NOT an "internal" number, but a bog standard geographic number of the form we were initially promised would not be phased out. I was told there was nothing the police could do about this and any complaint would "fall on deaf ears". I was told I could complain to my phone provider (alredy done, woth OFCOM siding with them as there is "sufficient competition in the market", or complain to my MP.
    I pointed out that the police policy has meant I no longer help them with reporting local crime, but will only use the number where I am directly affected by a non-emergency matter, and will only report other crime if I believe it is of sufficient importance to use 999 - pity there is no guidance on what kinds of incident are 999 material, and I fear being told off as there have been suggestions that inappropriate use of 999 should become a minor criminal infringement carrying a fixed fine (I don't mean hoaxes, that are already dealt with seriously by the law).
     OFCOM have indeed dealt with the 0870 issue to my satisfaction at last, but have opend the floodgates to 0845, 0844 and even 0871 being used as the next big scam (it's already happening here).
     The systems make it incredibly difficult to complain, as evidenced by the fruitless attempt to wring the truth from National Rail Enquiries, whose arguments are inconsistent with their actions.

If they introduce 101 it makes no difference, as 10p is still 10p more than I might pay with a phone package, and it will have almost the same deterrent affect on me phoning just to report incidents that don't affect me personally. In it's favour though, I will not pay more than 10p due to their multiple menu levels and recorded messages, incompetence, inability to put me through, queues etc.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #47 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 6:14pm

Isn't it incredible that the police are always asking the public to help them, and now we have to pay to help them through the 08 scams. I don't remember ever asking a policeman to help me with my job. They get the public to help them and then say they have solved the crime. I suspect less and less people will help when they realise how they are being ripped off. Serves them right>Sad

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #48 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 6:18pm

I would suggest you complain directly to the Chair of your local police authority, you should be able to find contact details on the police website, also it may be a local politician eg councillor in which case you might be able to find a more direct contact.   The was the case of one who gave out his mobile no on local radio!   He/she might be more prepared to listen to the concerns of the people rather than the police who are more used to the rigid application of rules!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Police consider changing 0845 number
Reply #49 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 7:48pm

Quote:
Police consider changing 0845 number

CAMBRIDGESHIRE police says it is reviewing the use of its 0845 non-emergency telephone number.

The move has come after public bodies, including doctors’ surgeries in Peterborough, were criticised for using the code, which is no longer cheaper than geographic local rate numbers.

Critics say that, nowadays, calls to the city’s 01733 code are included in many phone packages at no extra cost, while the cost of calling an 0845 number has remained about the same.

Cambridgeshire Constabulary says it is looking at alternative numbers to its current 0845 456 4564 number which will offer users the same ease of access to the force they currently have.

Campaigner Dave Linsay said: “Today, with BT, there is no difference between the price of a local and national call. Indeed, the 0845 number disadvantages the majority of people.

“A geographical number, or 03 number, would be a much better solution.

“Callers from mobile telephones pay in addition to any inclusive minutes, which would apply had the number been a geographical
one.”

He added: “Cambridgeshire Constabulary should to take a leaf out of South Yorkshire police’s book of providing a geographical non-emergency contact number.

“This has been in service for more than 10 years now, and proves that such a contact centre does not require a non-geographical number.”

Currently neighbouring Lincolnshire and Leicestershire Constabularies use local codes for their non-emergency contact numbers, while Northamptonshire and Norfolk police use 0845 numbers.

A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Constabulary said: “We are aware of this situation and the use of the 0845 number is currently under review to examine any alternative that would offer the same ease of access for members of the public from all over Cambridgeshire.”

n An e-petition started by William Whitehouse has been signed by more than 15,000 people who want doctors’ surgeries to scrap the 0845 number.

Source: Peterborough Evening Telegraph
Published: 12 November 2007

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Would you pay more for police?
Reply #50 - Nov 17th, 2007 at 1:47pm

When I saw the headline I thought that it was referring to calling the police. Then I read about how you can give your opinions....

Quote:
Would you pay more for police?

CHESHIRE residents are being asked if they would be prepared to add £3 a month to their council tax bill to fund investment in their police service.

Views and comments on the matter can be put to the people in charge during a special question and answer session which will be broadcast on the Internet.

The chief constable of Cheshire, Peter Fahy, and Police Authority chairman Peter Nurse will be filmed answering the questions and the footage will be broadcast on YouTube.
advertisement

"The people asking the questions have the opportunity to see them being answered, and by using YouTube we guarantee that the footage reaches the widest audience," Mr Fahy said.

Peter Nurse added: "We have run very cost effective services and kept strong control over our finances.

"But the investment in policing has never been enough to bridge the gap between what the public wants and what the police can provide, or to address the full range of criminal threats. Cheshire has fallen behind other forces, and now we face some real financial challenges."

To air your views and see your questions being answered, email questions @cheshire.pnn.police.uk or leave a message on the constabulary's dedicated phone line 0845 358 0555 before Monday.

Source: ThisIsCheshire.co.uk
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2007 at 1:48pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #51 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 3:21pm

Source: Belfast Telegraph

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/article3207917.ece

One call every three minutes made to PSNI

Thursday, November 29, 2007

By Deborah McAleese

One call is being made every three minutes to the PSNI's non-emergency phone line, it has emerged.

More than 173,000 calls have been made to the 0845 600 8000 number over the past 12 months - an average of almost 20 calls an hour, or a call every three minutes.

The non-emergency number was launched two years ago to allow people quicker access to the PSNI and to reduce demand on 999.

The statistics, which were released to Parliament by Policing and Justice Minister Paul Goggins in response to a written request from MP Iris Robinson, show that an increased number of people are starting to use the number.

Over 3,000 more calls are being made to the line now than during the same period last year.

Last month 16,632 calls were made - the highest number of calls in a month over the past year. In November 2006, there were 13,128.

When police are appealing for information about crimes they encourage members of the public to use the 0845 number or the Confidential telephone.

However, it is not known how many arrests or convictions have resulted from calls to the number.

Mr Goggins told parliament that figures are not held on the outcome of the calls and he is therefore unable to supply information on the number of arrests and convictions that have resulted from the use of the line.

He added: "The total cost to the PSNI of operating the non-emergency number from November 2006 to October 2007 was £2,043.

"This line allows people to access the PSNI quickly in non-emergency situations and helps to reduce the demand placed by inappropriate calls to 999."

Calls to the 24-hour 0845 600 8000 number are charged at local rates, but mobile network charges vary.

The number connects the caller directly to local police who then put the caller in contact with the appropriate station or individual in the Police Service.

The 0845 600 8000 number is a non-emergency facility.

If the call relates to an emergency, callers should continue to use 999.

A 999 emergency is a situation where there is a danger to life, a threat of violence or a serious crime in progress.

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #52 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 1:39pm

16,632 calls last month...  Guessing at a mere 2 mins per call, and assuming BT standard charges (6p+2p/min) that's £1663.20 in call revenue in one month.  Just short of £20K per year at current rates. (£17.3K using the 173,000 calls figure.)  And the cops are paying a further £2K on top to operate the line?? Somebody is making a lot of money at the public expense..

IP Logged

farci

Glasgow
Response from ACPOS (McPlod) Part 1
Reply #53 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 9:49pm

Earlier in this thread I mentioned my letter to the Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland (ACPOS) objecting to the proposed introduction of an 0845 number for non-emergency calls. I suggested they consider an 03 number instead.

ACPOS sent me a detailed reply today, the gist of which is appended for your delectation, delight and disembowelment:

Dear Mr Farci

NON-EMERGENCY NUMBER DISCUSSION

Over the past 10 years there has been a significant increase in the number of calls made to the police, primarily due to the substantial increase in ownership and use of mobile phones. This has placed tremendous pressure on forces’ call handling resources and systems.

Within the last 3 years all Scottish forces have migrated to a national secure digital radio network (known as Airwave). As a consequence of this forces have made significant changes in how they manage calls. Most have invested in new technology and developed contact centres to assist in tackling these issues. At the same time it was acknowledged that forces needed to make it easier for the public to contact the police in non-emergency situations.

The preferred solution would be to introduce a 3 digit national non-emergency number across the UK, which would be operated in a similar fashion to the 999 emergency services. In addition to making it easier for the public to contact the police in non-emergency circumstances, it is recognised we must also try to make it clearer who they should call, since many of the non-emergency calls police receive are actually for other agencies.

It was for these reasons a single non-emergency number for reporting incidents of anti-social behaviour was proposed. From this, a 3-digit number (101) was introduced and is currently being piloted in 5 forces in England and Wales, involving their constituent local authorities. Ideally, Scottish forces would like to adopt the same 3-digit number but see the potential to enhance the purposes it could be used for. At present, the pilot is a Home Office project and therefore only extends to forces in England and Wales. While indications are that benefits have been achieved through improved access to services for the public and greater partnership working between police and local authorities, it is also recognised that the service will require significant additional funding if it is to be rolled out across England and Wales.

Preliminary discussions have taken place with Scottish Government departments around how the 101 service could be introduced in Scotland but it is not clear how this can be taken forward quickly.

ACPOS recognises therefore, that a single 3-digit non-emergency telephone number, which can accommodate calls from mobile phones, may take some time to achieve. In preparation for this, however, it was considered beneficial to develop call-handling standards, training for call handlers and improve the quality and availability of management information.

To assist in taking these issues forward, and in the interests of best value, ACPOS agreed to enter into a tender exercise to procure a range of single non-emergency numbers for forces. The preferred bid, in terms of best value, was a range a 0845 numbers. Over the years there has been continued development of call packages offered by telephony companies and other providers of call and Internet packages. Since the decision to operate 0845 numbers was made we are aware that 0845 numbers may now be excluded from these packages but we also recognise the contents and conditions of these packages are constantly changing. Research carried out in one force indicates the average length of call to their Force Contact Centre is approximately 2.5 minutes and should cost around 5p during the day and 1.25p in the evening. According to our information this may in fact be cheaper than some packages. With many of these packages it would be impossible to make a comparison since an up front cost is charged as part of the package.

With regard to charges for mobile phone calls, you will appreciate these vary considerably from operator to operator.

Forces that have introduced 0845 numbers have not experienced a decrease in calls, in fact quite the reverse, and this would indicate the use of an 0845 number is not a deterrent to the public calling the police.  Experience in England and Wales also indicates the 10p charge to call 101 has not put the public off using this public access number.

It is also fair to say for most of the public a telephone call to the police is not a regular occurrence and the use of an 0845 number will play no part in either the decision to phone the police or the call package they select from their provider.

Thank you for the background information relating to the FCO’s decision to choose a normal geographic number and also the extract from Sir David Varney’s review of public services.
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2007 at 9:51pm by farci »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #54 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 9:57pm

See Police call management, an initial review published by Audit Scotland, September 2007:

Quote:
54. In 2003, Grampian introduced a single non-emergency number for the whole force area, using the 0845 prefix. While ACPOS is trying to address the issues in establishing a single non-emergency number for all of Scotland, it has agreed to adopt a sequence of 0845 numbers, one for each force, building on the existing Grampian number. Three forces (Dumfries and Galloway, Fife and Grampian) have implemented their 0845 number and now advertise it locally. Lothian and Borders and Tayside intend to implement theirs in mid-2008. Northern has the technology to implement its 0845 number, but does not yet have an agreed date to go live. Central Scotland and Strathclyde have not yet formally adopted an 0845 number and do not have a timetable for doing so. There are a number of reasons for this delayed implementation, including current call management restructuring within some forces and a concern about capacity to deal with the potential increase in demand that the introduction of the number may bring.
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2007 at 9:59pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

farci

Glasgow
Response from ACPOS (McPlod) Part 2
Reply #55 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 10:03pm

The letter continues...

You suggest in your email that ACPOS investigate the new “03” number range recently introduced by OFCOM. As previously stated, the preferred option for police would be a 3 digit national non-emergency number across the UK which would be operated in a similar fashion to the 999 emergency services. You will also be aware that the “03” number range was not available when ACPOS went to tender. We will, however, continue to monitor the position and should the option of a three digit number not materialise within a reasonable timeframe we will consider the “03” range, along with all other available options at the appropriate time.

So, brush off or a reasoned argument?

IP Logged

ms01

Reply #56 - Dec 7th, 2007 at 9:09am

I got a similar letter back from the ACPOS Secretariat, and I too can't decide how to respond.

I think when they were at the tendering process, 03 was certainly on the cards, and 0845 was being discouraged by COI, so I will probably reply along those lines.

Hopefully it will only take a few headlines in the Scottish media about the various forces introducing chargeable/costly/rip-off phone lines before this whole thing is put on hold, and something like  "03000 999 999" is introduced. (Wishfull thinking?!)

M.

IP Logged

farci

Glasgow
Reply #57 - Dec 7th, 2007 at 10:17am

ms01 wrote on Dec 7th, 2007 at 9:09am:
I got a similar letter back from the ACPOS Secretariat, and I too can't decide how to respond.

I think when they were at the tendering process, 03 was certainly on the cards, and 0845 was being discouraged by COI, so I will probably reply along those lines.

Hopefully it will only take a few headlines in the Scottish media about the various forces introducing chargeable/costly/rip-off phone lines before this whole thing is put on hold, and something like  "03000 999 999" is introduced. (Wishfull thinking?!)

M.

At least we both got a detailed response Undecided

However, I think the route here is local police boards and interested MSPs as it's a devolved matter. I had an e-mail response some time ago from Bill Aitken MSP. He wrote in his capacity as Convener of the Justice Committee:

Thank you for the correspondence which is interesting.

Clearly, I do not have the technical knowledge to comment definitively but it does seem to me that it is not beyond the wit of those who deal with such matters to allow for the cost aspects.  We certainly do not wish to deter people from phoning non emergency numbers on the grounds of expense.

The ACPOS letter claims:

Forces that have introduced 0845 numbers have not experienced a decrease in calls, in fact quite the reverse, and this would indicate the use of an 0845 number is not a deterrent to the public calling the police.  Experience in England and Wales also indicates the 10p charge to call 101 has not put the public off using this public access number.

but as a previous correspondent noted '10p is still 10p'.

I have decided to write Bill Aitken again with my comments and asking him if he agrees with the ACPOS position. I will also write the Strathclyde Police Board for their comments. If you live outside Strathclyde, perhaps you could do the same or urge others? You can pm me if you would like to discuss further.

On a more general note, thanks for your constructive comments. I'm afraid this board seems to be characterised by moaners rather than people interested in organising a genuine lobby
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2007 at 10:25am by farci »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #58 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 9:01pm

Source: Worcester News

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/wnnewslatest/display.var.1894624.0.it_costs_...

It costs too much to call the police
By Alicia Kelly

<<
VICTIMS of crime are not reporting offences because it is too expensive to telephone the police - according to two county councillors.

One called for a review of the policy of using an 0845 number after hearing that people had paid up to £8 to call officers.

Although 0845 numbers cost 2p per minute peak rate from a BT landline, their cost can be more than that for people using other phone operators and mobile networks.

West Mercia Constabulary has admitted the cost of calling the 0845 number has gone up in the 10 years since the force's non-emergency number was introduced. It says it is considering introducing a cheaper 03 number which costs the same as a local call whichever provider is used.

People phoning the 0845 number go through to one of two call management centres at Hindlip, near Worcester, or Bridgnorth, Shropshire.

The force uses the income it generates from the 0845 number to maintain an emergency text messaging service.

Councillor Nigel Knowles, who raised the issue at a council meeting, said: "People are being very reluctant to ring up and report crime. It's very costly, particularly if they are on a mobile phone."

Mr Knowles also said people had told him they were being kept waiting on the end of a phone for half-an-hour and said a more direct way for people to contact local police officers or beat managers was needed.

Coun Tom McDonald called for a review of the number's use.

A police spokeswoman said: "We are aware that the cost of calling the non-emergency number has increased since it was first introduced and we are currently looking at introducing a new number, which will cost the same as making a local call.

"The number generates a small income that is used to maintain an emergency text messaging service so that people who are partially or profoundly deaf or who have speech impairments can contact the police more easily in an emergency."

Coun Edward Sheldon, who liaises with the force, will ask the chief constable to make a written reply.

Anyone wishing to call police can use 999 for emergencies, 08457 444 888 for non-emergencies, or call a local number to leave a voicemail for local policing teams who will reply within five days. A list of numbers is available at www.westmercia.police.uk

>>

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #59 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 1:02pm

Dave wrote on Dec 10th, 2007 at 9:01pm:
Anyone wishing to call police can use 999 for emergencies, 08457 444 888 for non-emergencies, or call a local number to leave a voicemail for local policing teams who will reply within five days. A list of numbers is available at www.westmercia.police.uk

>>

5 days!!! why on earth should it take 5 DAYS?

5 hours would be to long, there would be no point in calling to report a non-emergency crime, as the culprits would be long gone!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge