Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
BT to be taken to court over Direct Debit charges (Read 55,340 times)
sherbert
Supreme Member

Re: BT to be taken to court over Direct Debit char
Reply #15 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 12:31pm

Barbara wrote on Feb 23rd, 2008 at 2:23pm:
I agree with Peter Reed - I HATE Direct Debits, I see them as giving a licence to an outsider to plunder my account.   We do use one per month, albeit reluctantly, because it suits us and we know the person concerned.   As I do not use online banking (don't trust the banks etc, have heard too many disaster stories), that is of no use to me at all.   Standing Orders are very convenient, we have total control over when and what is paid.   Some banks (HSBC for example) are obstructive and make a difficulty over everything, as well as being totally incompetent but Nationwide, to whom we have moved almost all our business, are very helpful and can even do things in branch (unusual, these days).   I prefer having to write a letter to set up/cancel such items as then I have written proof of what I requested and I ALWAYS require written confirmation that the action requested has been taken.   Banks and businesses can't be trusted, for example a friend recently asked her bank set up a payment to go from a/c A to a/c B - guess what?  They set it up to go in the opposite direction, potentially causing her to suffer penalities and they HAD been given the instruction in writing so at least she had proof!

There are people out there who refuse to put their credit card details over the internet as they fear something will go wrong. Actually it is much safer than the same people who will willingly give the same details over the phone which is not encrypted.

Direct debit is a very safe way of paying your bills as NGM explains. When you think about it something like your membership to the AA will be continuous with D/D. If you forgot to renew your S/O you could be in a bit of a fix if you broke down, just as one example.
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2008 at 12:32pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

janitor

Reply #16 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 12:52pm

My life run's on direct debit all my bills are paid that way and i find that its very convenient, but i have elderly relatives that wouldn't  touch it  a barge poll, and also a not so elderly relative who lives from day to day cash wise and couldn't cope with DD if they wanted to, all the companies i pay my bills to  required me to sign up-to DD when i joined that was fine by me, but for companies who have been fine with cash to suddenly start charging what are in many cases long standing customers i find wrong, why should someone have to pay extra because all of a sudden a company finds cash bill payments inconvenient. Also don't forget there a re companies that have a legal right to restart a canceled DD and a few have done so when they have had no legal right, and its been a hassle to sort out.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #17 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 3:05pm

janitor wrote on Feb 24th, 2008 at 12:52pm:
My life run's on direct debit all my bills are paid that way and i find that its very convenient, but i have elderly relatives that wouldn't  touch it  a barge poll, and also a not so elderly relative who lives from day to day cash wise and couldn't cope with DD if they wanted to, all the companies i pay my bills to  required me to sign up-to DD when i joined that was fine by me, but for companies who have been fine with cash to suddenly start charging what are in many cases long standing customers i find wrong, why should someone have to pay extra because all of a sudden a company finds cash bill payments inconvenient. Also don't forget there a re companies that have a legal right to restart a canceled DD and a few have done so when they have had no legal right, and its been a hassle to sort out.

When BT currently allows those who receive a paper bill in the post but pay by DD to receive the full DD discount I agree that is unfair when customers who pay by online transfer they initiate or initiate at a bank branch are charged extra.  BT is unfortunately saying that they believe all cash customers are a worse risk of default and that is why they are charging extra.  What they should perhaps do is allow customers to pre-pay in advance in cash and charge them no extra for doing so and perhaps pay a modest but not market leading rate of interest (eg 4% or something) on the cash held before it is used.  Also they should give a discount to those customers who accept email or online only billing and pay by DD compared to those who insist on paper billing as there are obvious real cost savings there to them as a company not to mention to the environment.

Sadly many of those who can only pay by cash are considered such poor credit risks that they cannot get conventional bank accounts or credit cards.  Interestingly there is now a mastercard you can get without an address or credit score just by paying cash over the counter in various Paypoint type stores.  This works well for non credit worthy people online but unfortunately BT and various utility companies only accept direct debit because it is cheaper than credit card and being near monopolies they don't have to worry about losing customers due to only taking direct debit.

As to security worries about use of DD sadly it is age ralated by and large.  My parents were very sceptical for some years but eventually found they had to take the plunge and having done so were amazed by its reliability compared to frequent errors by bank staff made over the years when in keying in the amounts from hand written cheques.

The banks don't allow companies they think will disappear with the money to have a DD setup because if any criminal or fraudulent activity is conducted the banks are liable for refunding all the money on DDs taken for goods and services not provided.

<div style=

IP Logged

Peter_Reed

Preston
Reply #18 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 8:09pm

NGM is determined to defend BT from all comers.
Perhaps he could explain what extra cost is involved by BT in accepting a payment on line direct to BT compared with a DD paid direct to BT.
As stated before I have a quote from a BT customer services person that there is NO EXTRA CHARGE involved for BT. So why is the customer being charged for something that doesn't cost BT anything??

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #19 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 11:26pm

I thought that the main benefit of a DD was that the payee controlled the timing (and amount, subject to the DD guarantee and terms) of the payment. They would then know of "bounced" and refused ones within two or three days, with only a very tiny percentage coming back to bite them later on.

I had always therefore assumed that this prompted the differentiation.

Just as the terms for credit and debit cards are different and so I should expect to pay less with a debit card.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #20 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 1:59am

Peter_Reed wrote on Feb 28th, 2008 at 8:09pm:
NGM is determined to defend BT from all comers.

I hold no brief for BT and am one of their fearcest critics, especially over blatant ripoffs like their false accounting to Ofcom that pretends they cannot afford to maintain aged copper wires to phone exchanges for less than around £35 per quarter standing charge.

Quote:
Perhaps he could explain what extra cost is involved by BT in accepting a payment on line direct to BT compared with a DD paid direct to BT.

BT clearly find that as a class those who prefer to pay by cash, cheque or electronic transfer contain a far higher percentage of bad debtors.  Whilst you are one of the tiny techno allergic minorithy who refuse direct debit because of an inherent mistrust of computers the majority who will not pay by direct debit tend to do so because they live from hand to mouth and have bad credit records that means they have no overdraft facilities with their bank and do not have direct debit because they may not have the money to pay a bill when it arrives.  Thus the BT view is that a far higher percentage of those who refuse to pay by DD default on payment of phone charges they have accrued.  It is for that which they seek to charge extra.  I think their method is probably not scientific enough and they should probably make the highest charge for paying in note and coin (undoubtedly the method most favoured by those with the worst credit rating) and then a lesser amount for chequer (which there are still higher handling charges for by the banks) and perhaps nothing extra for online electronic payments from another bank account.

Quote:
As stated before I have a quote from a BT customer services person that there is NO EXTRA CHARGE involved for BT.?

I think your customer service person is making it up as they go along as most of that species do. The suggestion of Douglas Adams was that they should all deported from Earth on the B Ark and that nobody would miss them.

The reality is that note and coin and cheque now definitely incur higher handling charges by banks than direct debit.  I do not believe this is the case for an electronic transfer from one bank account to another though.  So perhaps there should be no extra charge for paying by that means as long as you pay by the due date.
« Last Edit: Feb 29th, 2008 at 11:13am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Kiwi_g

Reply #21 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 6:36am

I am involved with an organisation collecting rents by direct debits and for us, using direct debits is much more efficient and accurate.  There are around 100 properties.  We used to use standing orders.  Under the old system, the banks were asked to make the individual payment on the Monday of each week.  This resulted in that number of entries on our bank statement.  There was a credit every day of the week even though the Monday payment day was specified.  Rents were increased once a year and errors were always made – payments being made twice, payments not being made, changes being made at the wrong date etc.  It normally took 3 months to rectify the situation.  If a payment was stopped, it was easy to miss this fact.

We now collect by direct debit.  I set up the DD claim, the debit to the tenant’s account and credit my account happen on the same day and there is only one entry on my bank statement rather than 100 previously.  If a payment is rejected, the amount is reclaimed 2 days later.  If a direct debit authority is cancelled, BACS tell me immediately.   When the rents increase, it is a simple matter to change the DD claim.  For me, DDs are much more efficient.  For the tenants who are elderly, it is much easier as they don’t have the trouble of rectifying their banks’ errors.  One should always remember the Direct Debit Guarantee which covers the repayment of items collected in error. 

IP Logged

ashley50

Reply #22 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 9:48am

As a business which uses direct debit (we have around 1000 customers) I can assure you the 50 or so who are not on direct debit require twice as much effort to process than the whole 950 who are on direct debit. In other words a non DD customer is 40 times more costly! This is even if they pay electronically. The key benefit of taking direct debit is that your accounts system becomes exception based. I.e. you get alerted when a DD fails and you can take action where it's required.

With non DD we have to match up payments, mistakes are made, incorrect amounts are paid this all costs money. In short humans make mistakes and that costs money.

DD is totally safe. One call to your bank and the money is back in your account in minutes, no questions asked.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #23 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 9:51am

A number of points -
1) I take exception to the claims in some posts that only old people don't want to use DD, the implication being that they are too old 9or not intelligent enough) to understand them - THIS IS NOT THE CASE and I find the inference quite insulting.   Many, many people of all ages either have personal experience of DD going wrong or know of others who have.

2)  It should be remembered that the people who use BT or whoever are CUSTOMERS and, as such, should have a CHOICE!   BT are NOT doing them a favour by letting them have a phone or phone line, the customer is doing BT a favour by using them and paying them for a SERVICE!   I am sick of people fogetting that.

3)   The point made by the landlord illustrates my point, that is is ALL for the convenience of the person providing the service, not the customer.   IF customers choose to use DD, fine, if they do not, that choice should also be respected.   As I said in my first post on this matter, DD hands control to the bank/company.   If I use SO or pay a bill when I get it (the inference that only people with debt problems do this is way out of order!), that should be my right of choice.   With DD, if a mistake is made with a decimal point or in the bill itself, it is such a problem to resolve (see my posts under Orange Shop for example), if one cancels a DD to resolve a problem, technically one is in breach of contract (ref Consumer Direct), often, if an overpayment is taken, the company will only reimburse it to the account not to the bank account of the wronged customer (eg Orange will not refund overcharges to a bank account only an Orange account).  This could leave a customer overdrawn & facing bank charges through no fault of their own and hundreds of pounds out of pocket for months while the overpayment works through the system.

One of the main platforms of the sayno campaign is, surely, customer choice - the choice to use a telephone number, as a customer, which best suits them.   This should, in my view, apply to payment methods.

A last point - sometimes, customers are led to believe that they have to pay by DD but may find challenging it brings the response that you can pay by another method if you choose.  An example was our endowment policy - we were paying by DD because we thought we had to, when we were caught in the underperforming policy trap, we did not want to continue this as it allowed them to raise the premiums as they wished, we challenged it & now pay by SO so we fix the premium by MUTUAL agreement (& we got the mis-selling resolved as well!)

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #24 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 9:59am

I agree Barbara, and I don't like NGM'sG denigration of people like me who do not like DDs.

Quote:
BT clearly find that as a class those who prefer to pay by cash, cheque or electronic transfer contain a far higher percentage of bad debtors.  Whilst you are one of the tiny techno allergic minorithy who refuse direct debit because of an inherent mistrust of computers the majority who will not pay by direct debit tend to do so because they live from hand to mouth and have bad credit records that means they have no overdraft facilities with their bank and do not have direct debit because they may not have the money to pay a bill when it arrives.

I dislike DDs for 2 reasons:

1) Because I have had bad experiences with wrong amounts being plundered from my accounts, and then the bank or BS does everything they can to avoid conforming to the rules for the DD guarantee!

2) I keep as little funds as possible in current accounts, because I keep as much as possible in high interest yielding accounts. When I need to pay bills I transfer the funds to current accounts - not before. This is not because I live hand to mouth - indeed quite the reverse. I am extremely prudent and manage my resources to the most favourable effect, getting large amounts of interest!

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #25 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 12:00pm

I wrote a long and detailed response to dorf and Barbara and then was a victim of a major long term technical failing with the forum software that used to afflict me more in the days when I used a dial up connection.  That is to say that when I first posted my computer was not connected to the internet due to my wireless router thowing a wobbly and that in this situation the lousy YaBB forum software merely loses your post even if it is a long and complicated one.   Grrrrggghhhhh!

Better forum software merely reports that the connection is offline and takes you back to the posting screen with the post you are writing still intact.

To summarise to dorf and barbara neither of you are bad payers or irresponsible people but are caught up in using a method of payment now favoured largely by those temporarily resident in the country with no credit history, by young people with no financial track record and by people who deliberately opt for non DD payment so that they can use the goods and then commit ID fraud etc to try to pay for them.

The companies find this method of payment costs them more and so they quite rationally try to dicourage it.  This then in turn reduces the manual payers to an even narrower hard core of unreliable credit risks, even though caught in with that is a small hard core of those of you who wish to make a point that you like to be in control of making the payments and using the method you have been used to all your lives.

Whilst you say I am wrong to make an age related point I think you will find very few people under 30 indeed have an issue with DD, whereas a lot of people over 50 do because in their youth cash was king and it is unthinkable to them it has now become a less favoured form of payment.  Ditto if we look at those who most mistrust online banking (leaving aside issues of not also having the training or the equipment that are again age related) any research is going to show you it is mainly the over 45s who distrust it.

If one uses internet security products and also takes precautions like clearing the temporary internet cache and cookies before making online financial transactions then in my experience problems can be avoided.  Also I distinctly recall that in the days when the credit card system and bank system was more manual there were regularly problems with human induced errors that happen far less these days.

Of course I would advise anyone who has a problem with companies who cannot be trusted to ever bill accurately like TalkTalk to instantly leave those companies for another supplier if they have a choice.  Unfortunately TalkTalk and Tiscali attempt to counter their utter incompetence and disorganisation as companies by using their corporate muscle they have to provide prices nobody else can beat but for what is generally a third rate (especially in broadband which is not a homogeneous product of a single quality) service.

<div style=

IP Logged

Kiwi_g

Reply #26 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 2:08pm

I would like to ask Dorf or Barbara what they think happens to their money when they make a payment by standing order.  It will debit their account on day one, say a Monday and it might not be until Friday when the money appears on the receivers bank statement.  Where's the money during the intervening days?  I know with direct debiting that the debiting and crediting happens on the same day. 

I can assure you that checking bank statements for individual credits is much slower than receiving the total you claim by way of direct debit.  It therefore follows that those people paying by direct debit should have some benefit for this. 

By way of information, there will be a rent increase soon and it's just taken me about ½ hour to change 100 rents.  All I need to do now is for another person double check toconfirm that I have entered the correct amount.  When we used standing orders, it took very much longer.

As for the direct debit guarantee, if the banks are slow in acting on the guarantee then it is an issue for the banking ombudsman.  I recently had a case where a resident paid their rent twice, once on the old cancelled authority and again on the new authority.  I was unable to return the payment made in error in case the bank reclaimed it off me.  I even wrote a letter on behalf of the payer moaning about the efficiency of the bank and asking for £25 compensation.  Eventually, the bank wrote to me asking for the money since they were unable to reclaim it as they should not have paid it in the first place.

IP Logged

oldharryrocks

Reply #27 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 2:19pm

According to this Ofcom dont have a problem with the extra charge,s as long as their made clear, and they only include the provider’s extra costs of collecting normal payments and not an opportunity to collect further revenue.

http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1204213949

"Charges for paying bills by cash or cheque rather than by Direct Debit

* When providers advertise prices, they must make clear what any extra charges for paying by cash or cheque will be.
* If a provider does not make the extra charges prominent and transparent enough that consumers see them as part of the main price under the contract, then the charges must reflect direct costs only. They should only include the provider’s extra costs of collecting normal payments and not an opportunity to collect further revenue.
* However, where the extra charges are prominent and transparent enough, normal competition – and not regulation – will provide price discipline on behalf of consumers. Customers will then have all the information that they need to know which provider to choose. "
« Last Edit: Feb 29th, 2008 at 2:22pm by oldharryrocks »  

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #28 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 2:32pm

I have to say I think OFCOM have got it wrong on focusing on this issue. Although not a personal fan of DD because I receive a haphazard income and therefore I can't plan for them I can't see anything wrong with BT (or whoever) offering discounts for processes that reduce their costs eg paperless billing, DDs etc. We are all adults, we have been supplied with the info and we can make our choices. It is a straight business decision for BT and us.

This is in contrast to the NGNs which often we do not have a choice over and which have very misleading descriptions attached to them (lies actually).

OFCOM as usual have identified the wrong issue.

IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #29 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 2:34pm

I pay my BT bills by electronic transfer from my bank account and would challenge anybody to show that this costs BT £4.50 per bill more than a DD transfer.  Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge