Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
BT to be taken to court over Direct Debit charges (Read 55,342 times)
Keith

Surrey
Re: BT to be taken to court over Direct Debit char
Reply #30 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 3:44pm

I agree it may not cost them in your case, but with a DD there is a greater degree of certainty. For customers like yourself BT has to have greater numbers of staff to chase for o/s payments. Even if you are not one of them, others are. And after all they have given you the option and you can make the choice.

It is clear and, it is up front and we can make the decision ourselves and we can weight up the pros and cons. Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything.

We can't do any of this with NGN and that is why I think we should keep the focus on this.

IP Logged

Kiwi_g

Reply #31 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 3:49pm

Perhaps lompos has never worked in an accounts environment.

A direct debit submission may contain thousands of items but only one total will appear on the bank statement.  Each BACS/electronic transfer will generate an entry on a bank statement.  Each entry will need to be reconciled by one means or another.  Furthermore, bank charges are usually based on the number of entries on a bank statement.  The outstanding accounts list will need to be monitored to see who has paid and who has not.  Chasing letters will need to be sent out to those who have not paid on time.  You must remember that BT require payment by the 11th day after the date of the bill.  Do you always arrange your holidays so that you’re never away when the bill is due?

With a direct debit, it is only necessary to look at the exceptions – i.e. those where the direct debit is rejected or the mandate is cancelled.

IP Logged

janitor

Reply #32 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 4:03pm

Bt provide a service the rice of that service should be the same whether you pay by DD cash or luncheon vouchers, you dont pay a different price for for your weekly shop depending on they method of payment , Bt should work out how much each part of the service costs add there profit on top and that should be the price, irrespective of payment method.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #33 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 4:17pm

lompos wrote on Feb 29th, 2008 at 2:34pm:
I pay my BT bills by electronic transfer from my bank account and would challenge anybody to show that this costs BT £4.50 per bill more than a DD transfer.  Grin

You haven't factored in that you are also paying extra for being considered a likely greater credit risk by BT.  Also therefore the greater risk they will have to spend money on chasing you for any unpaid bills.

I know you of course you will say you aren't but they are appying a very sweeping generalisation that by and large those who pay DD always pay their bills and on time and that those who resist DD are frequently people who have issues with paying their bills at all.

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #34 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 4:20pm

janitor wrote on Feb 29th, 2008 at 4:03pm:
Bt provide a service the rice of that service should be the same whether you pay by DD cash or luncheon vouchers, you dont pay a different price for for your weekly shop depending on they method of payment.

Not true.

If I pay by Egg Money Mastercard I get 1% cash back.  If I pay by several other credit cards I have I don't get any cash back.

Also if I pay abroad for goods using most credit cards I am charged 2.75% foreign exchange rate levy but if I pay with my Nationwide Gold Visa card I don't pay any exchange rate levy.

Easyjet, Ryanair and many other travel companies also now charge more if you pay by credit card than on a debit card.
« Last Edit: Feb 29th, 2008 at 4:22pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #35 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 4:57pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Feb 29th, 2008 at 4:20pm:
Easyjet, Ryanair and many other travel companies also now charge more if you pay by credit card than on a debit card.

That's because the card companies charge them a % of the amount you're paying (IIRC, it's between 1½% and 4%) and they want you, their customer, to pay the charge they have to pay to receive your money.

It keeps a lot of people in work these days, shuffling electronic money around from one organisation to another.

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #36 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 5:46pm

Heinz wrote on Feb 29th, 2008 at 4:57pm:
That's because the card companies charge them a % of the amount you're paying (IIRC, it's between 1½% and 4%) and they want you, their customer, to pay the charge they have to pay to receive your money.

But then they make it grossly unfair by charging a flat fee which is an enormous percentage of a low value promo booking for one person but a much lower percentage of a more normal price summer holiday booking for a family of four.  Of course as they make so little profit on the low costs fares unless they sell expensive extras that things are probably deliberately rigged this way.
« Last Edit: Feb 29th, 2008 at 5:46pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #37 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 7:58pm

Janitor,

NGMsGhost beat me to it. I could list a bucket load of cases where you pay different fees depending upon your method of payment. I have just done so with a flight, ski pass and train journey. It is the norm in Europe.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #38 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 1:03am

Keith wrote on Feb 29th, 2008 at 7:58pm:
NGMsGhost beat me to it. I could list a bucket load of cases where you pay different fees depending upon your method of payment. I have just done so with a flight, ski pass and train journey. It is the norm in Europe.

Janitor,

Of course I forgot to mention that if you make many online purchases through the www.quidco.co.uk or www.topcashback.co.uk websites then you can receive large cashback payments of up to £100 or more purely as a result of initiating your transaction through this website introducing and commission paying site.

Again this would no doubt be completely unfair in your book...............

<div style=

IP Logged

janitor

Reply #39 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 11:21am

I still stick by what i said,  the price  should be the price which ever way you pay, if your credit card wants to give you cash back for using that fine , how would you then feel if the company said you get cash back for that so i'm charging you 1% extra , if your local supermarket wants to give money off your phone bill vouchers would you want the company to charge you extra for using these vouchers, the way you pay should have no effect on the price .

IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #40 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 11:38am

There has been a lot of talk about how account departments work, late payers, etc. but nobody as yet could justify the £4.50 charge when I pay my quarterly BT bill electronically and on time.

Remember the bank charges debacle. Banks had to justify the actual charge made in trems of pounds/pence. I doubt if anyone could show me that it costs BT £4.50 (and not perhaps twopence) to process my non-DD BACS payment.

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #41 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 11:44am

Janitor,

You are ignoring reality. Many organisations charge different prices depending upon how you pay. I quoted some examples above. Try booking a Ryan air flight the price will vary in several ways depending upon the payment type. In Europe it is very common. For instance I paid 5 SF to use my credit card to pay for a ski lift pass. If I had used cash there was no charge. Businesses offer discounts on quick payments and surcharges on late payments and discounts on DD and charges on C Cards.

They prefer ceretain types of payment methods so offer incentives for you to use them and disincentives for you not to use others.

If it is open and clear how can you possibly complain.

IP Logged

janitor

Reply #42 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 12:53pm

My parents have been with the same provider for 40 years, they pay the bill the same way they have for 40 years, at the post office the day after the bill arrives, i have a friend who is severely disabled and has to live off benefits, couldn't use a bank if they wanted to, also made harder due to all the high st banks closing the branches any where nearby, so has to use the post-office. Is it fair these people should be forced to pay more just because they can't use DD.
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2008 at 12:53pm by janitor »  

IP Logged

Peter_Reed

Preston
Reply #43 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 12:55pm

Another thing that intrigues me about the payment charge is that BT charge £1.50 per month - i.e. £4.50 per quarter.
As I pay my bill quarterly, how can there be a payment charge every month. As I don't make any payment during 2 months of the quarter, why am I being charged a payment fee?
Angry

IP Logged

gt94sss2

Reply #44 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 1:22pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Feb 24th, 2008 at 3:05pm:
Sadly many of those who can only pay by cash are considered such poor credit risks that they cannot get conventional bank accounts or credit cards.  Interestingly there is now a mastercard you can get without an address or credit score just by paying cash over the counter in various Paypoint type stores.  This works well for non credit worthy people online but unfortunately BT and various utility companies only accept direct debit because it is cheaper than credit card and being near monopolies they don't have to worry about losing customers due to only taking direct debit.

Actually, virtually everyone can have a 'basic current account' which offers direct debits and standing orders - however poor their credit rating is.

For those who do not have bank branches near them, you can pay in/withdraw money from these accounts at Post Offices.

Regards
Sunil

« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2008 at 1:23pm by gt94sss2 »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge