Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Ofcom consultation on 0870/0871 numbers (Read 76,792 times)
SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: Ofcom consultation on 0870/0871 numbers
Reply #60 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 7:07pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jun 27th, 2008 at 6:08pm:
What exactly are you basing your comments on?
David (Lord) Currie is stepping down as Chairman next Easter - http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2008/06/nr_20080625

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #61 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 10:06pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jun 27th, 2008 at 7:07pm:
David (Lord) Currie is stepping down as Chairman next Easter - http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2008/06/nr_20080625

I wonder what useless QUANGO he is about to head up next! Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2008 at 10:24pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #62 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 10:16pm

IP Logged

Fabian

Reply #63 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 8:19pm

To my shame I have to admit that I have neglected this website for some time with the result that I was unaware of yet another "consultation".  

I do agree that it is important that Ofcom gets responses, even though we know they are ignored.  

Would it be possible to notify members of consultations so that the less active amongst us do not miss the opportunity?

Thank you.

Fabian Olins

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #64 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 1:03pm

Fabian wrote on Jun 28th, 2008 at 8:19pm:
To my shame I have to admit that I have neglected this website for some time with the result that I was unaware of yet another "consultation". 

I do agree that it is important that Ofcom gets responses, even though we know they are ignored. 

Would it be possible to notify members of consultations so that the less active amongst us do not miss the opportunity?

Thank you.

Fabian,

I did indeed suggest this to the site owner and forum administrators a few days before the consultation closed but sadly they refused to play ball.

I wonder how many people who would have otherwise responded to this consultation have not done so because they did not know about it. Undecided

Needless to say Ofcom did not advise anyone who had responded to previous 084/7 consultations about it. Shocked Angry Cry
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2008 at 1:03pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #65 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 12:05am

Fabian wrote on Jun 28th, 2008 at 8:19pm:

When the consultation was published that was the intention, but it never happened. There are 36 responses and I think it's fair to say that there would have been more had this been done.

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #66 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 11:06am

It is interesting to see what the industry thinks of OFCOM when reading some of their replies. It makes us look quite timid. And we have issues in common. Flextel's response was quite interesting particularly the judgement on objectives - fail, fail, fail, fail....

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #67 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 11:39am

Dave wrote on Jul 2nd, 2008 at 12:05am:
When the consultation was published that was the intention, but it never happened. There are 36 responses and I think it's fair to say that there would have been more had this been done.

This was even though I reminded the forum moderators that the deadline was coming up several days before the consultation closed.

At the end of the day it will just become part of the pile of consultations Ofcom have ignored on 084/7.  I think the only difference here is that in this consultation most respondees felt more justified in making it clear that they are no longer prepared to play ball with Ofcom because it is totally incompetent and incoherent in its approach to this matter.
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2008 at 11:42am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

lucasmcp

Reply #68 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 4:59pm

Isn't this one of the most important threads on the board - nothing updated since 2nd July ?

What is the latest on this consultation... are we ever going to see an end to 0870 revenue sharing or not ?  And when do you think this will be ?

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #69 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 6:06pm

If the Ofcom proposals were serious and likely to be effective, this would indeed be one of the most important threads.

There are doubts about whether Ofcom was ever serious in making its proposals, however nothing will happen now for some considerable time. The reasons are rather complex.

Ofcom is awaiting the outcome of a dispute before the Competition Appeals Tribunal about termination rates for calls to mobile networks from BT lines. The basis it used when proposing a method of settling this dispute has been challenged and the Tribunal has accepted this argument and will itself be proposing an alternative method of determining what is reasonable.

The same basis was used by Ofcom to propose a settlement of a dispute about termination rates for 0870 calls from BT lines to other networks, in the event that the Ofcom proposals for 0870 came into effect. If it attempted to enforce this resolution Ofcom would anticipate a similar challenge through the CAT to be upheld. Ofcom is therefore waiting to see what happens to the other dispute before deciding how to revise its resolution of the 0870 termination rates dispute.

Depending on what comes back from the CAT, BT will either be able to comply with Ofcom's preferred option of reducing the charges for calling 0870 numbers, or will have to take the alternative of providing announcements of higher than normal charges. All other providers have indicated that they will take this less-preferred option. If no-one is going to drop their charges then the whole exercise is a complete waste of time.

Please forgive the complexity of this explanation, it is the best I can do. There are references and links to the relevant matters in earlier postings in this thread.

As things stand, we are awaiting developments in the CAT case before anything more will happen.

IP Logged

lucasmcp

Reply #70 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 6:31pm

Thanks CSV - so we're basically saying that businesses can continue to use 0870 numbers and can continue to receive revenue share on calls for the foreseeable future... and (the poor old) callers will just continue to pay inflated 'national' rate charges for 0870 calls @ around 8ppm until something changes / if ever.

Why doesn't Ofcom come out and make a statement to this effect / clarify matters ?  And at least give some sort of guidline on when / if ever they will be able to push forward with this or stick the whole thing in the bin ?

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #71 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 8:43pm

lucasmcp wrote on Jul 24th, 2008 at 6:31pm:
Why doesn't Ofcom come out and make a statement to this effect / clarify matters ?  And at least give some sort of guidline on when / if ever they will be able to push forward with this or stick the whole thing in the bin ?

The summary of my lengthy explanation is spot on.

In answer to the question, let us assume for the moment that Ofcom had the best of intentions but made a complete mess of it. Would you step forward to make a statement that you had b****ed it up and had no idea what you were going to do next? The official answer would be that the outcome of the CAT is awaited - this was referred to in the consultation.

IP Logged

0208meir

Reply #72 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 1:49pm

I just want to let everyone know about a good idea I had.

I have made myself an 0870 number that is redirected to my home number and everytime a company asks for me for my home number to be able to contact me I give them my 0870 number.

MEAUSURE FOR MEASURE, IF WE WOULD ALL START DOING THIS THEY WILL VERY QUICKLY START GETTING THE MESSAGE, THAT CALLING 0870 HURTS.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #73 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 11:22am

Ofcom Update: Update on Ofcom review of 087 numbers

On 2 May 2008, Ofcom published two consultations as part of its ongoing review of 087 numbers. This notification gives an update on the proposed timing of any changes to the rules on 087 numbers.

In May, Ofcom consulted on proposals on charges for calls to 0870 numbers. These included the proposal that all calls to 0870 numbers should cost no more than calls to geographic numbers (01 or 02 numbers) unless communications providers comply with rules on publicising higher prices.  At the time, Ofcom aimed to announce its conclusions on this by autumn 2008.

However, Ofcom’s work on this consultation needs to take place alongside an ongoing dispute on wholesale termination rates, the rates that operators charge each other to end 0870 calls on each others’ networks. Work on this had been suspended pending the recent judgement of the Competition Appeals Tribunal on mobile termination rate disputes which was published recently, and as a result this work has now restarted.

Ofcom continues to assess the proposals in its May 2008 consultation and the responses to that document in light of these developments. Ofcom aims to publish a further statement on implementing any changes to 0870 policy by the end of the year. 

087 numbers

Ofcom aims to publish a statement on its proposal to bring the most expensive 087 numbers (including 0871, 0872 and 0873 numbers) within the remit of PhonepayPlus, in the autumn.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #74 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 3:17pm

idb wrote on Oct 6th, 2008 at 11:22am:
Ofcom Update: Update on Ofcom review of 087 numbers

A review of the situation surrounding this email update (I have not yet found any published statement on the Ofcom website), leads me to the following conclusions.

Ofcom will now be resuming its efforts to resolve the dispute over the termination rates to be paid by BT in the event that revenue sharing is removed from 0870. This open dispute is covered by the bulletin published here, although at the time of writing there is no update since 21 December 2007.

There is no reason to suspect that Ofcom's view has changed in any way since the proposals that were originally due to come into effect in February 2008. OCPs other than BT retain their intention not to reduce the cost of calling 0870 numbers and BT is likely to join them should it not be possible to reduce the termination rates paid to others to the levels it has sought.

Nothing has been done to resolve the problems with faxes and alarm systems encountering caller announcements, which caused progress to be suspended last Autumn.

The CAT judgement on mobile termination rates did not even provide Ofcom with a sure and guaranteed method that would enable an unchallengeable resolution of the 0870 dispute. There can therefore be no assurance that the current efforts on this will be successful. Even if that were to be achieved, we will come back to the issue of the alarms.

My prediction is that the further statement, which Ofcom "aims" to make before the end of year, will not reflect any further progress than has been seen for the last 12 months.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge