Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Ofcom consultation on 0870/0871 numbers (Read 76,797 times)
Dick_Fowler

Re: Ofcom consultation on 0870/0871 numbers
Reply #45 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 7:09am

EU.

Sorry folks. I jumped the gun. It was not my intention to deter those who wished to reply to the consultation, so I kept quiet for a few days.

My aim is to open up a new (?) approach via the EU. No matter what you think of the EU, it is the only way I can see to outrank this apparent odious alliance of government and regulator. Has anyone actually tried the Parliamentary Ombudsman which has been discussed on this forum?
I
very much need the forums expert help for this. I studied Silent Call Victims material re Citizen/Consumers. How do OFCOM do it?  A lot of words to disguise a subtle shifting away from the key issue. Whatever happened to 'best possible service at lowest possible price.' which is the professional buyers mantra.

Should I now shift this to a new thread?

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #46 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 8:16am

NGMsGhost wrote on Jun 16th, 2008 at 6:39pm:
...Ofcom will simply take this as a sign that we have given up and that they can now do exactly as they please. Shocked Angry Cry
It seems to me that they do as they please (or shall I say as the teleco's want) anyhow.

I firmly believe that if it wasnt for the fact that they have to have consultations then there wouldnt be any where they would be frightened of responses from us consumers!

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #47 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 8:21am

Dick_Fowler wrote on Jun 17th, 2008 at 7:09am:
EU.

Sorry folks. I jumped the gun. It was not my intention to deter those who wished to reply to the consultation, so I kept quiet for a few days.

My aim is to open up a new (?) approach via the EU. No matter what you think of the EU, it is the only way I can see to outrank this apparent odious alliance of government and regulator. Has anyone actually tried the Parliamentary Ombudsman which has been discussed on this forum?
I
very much need the forums expert help for this. I studied Silent Call Victims material re Citizen/Consumers. How do OFCOM do it?  A lot of words to disguise a subtle shifting away from the key issue. Whatever happened to 'best possible service at lowest possible price.' which is the professional buyers mantra.

I believe this is our only way.

There is already a thread on this here.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #48 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 10:53am

Dick_Fowler wrote on Jun 17th, 2008 at 7:09am:

I very much need the forums expert help for this. I studied Silent Call Victims material re Citizen/Consumers. How do OFCOM do it?  A lot of words to disguise a subtle shifting away from the key issue. Whatever happened to 'best possible service at lowest possible price.' which is the professional buyers mantra.

I always meant to take matters up via the Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman but never quite got round to it.  The difficult thing with Ofcom is that since one is not a customer or patient it is hard to ever reach deadlock with them.  Their most senior staff generally avoid all attempts to engage in correspondence so it is hard to reach deadlock with them.  Their main technique is to suggest that they Ofcom are not responsible for anything and that your resolution lies with your telecoms company, Otelo (telecoms ombusman) or anyone but them in terms of making a complaint.

I was a little pessimistic about the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman's likely attitude on the matter given that she still uses an 0845 telephone number for contact in spite of the recent blandishments of Sir David Varney's report and the Central Office of Information's Better Practice Guide For Government Contact Centres plus Ofcom's launch last Autumn of 03 numbers.

See www.ombudsman.org.uk/contact_us/index.html

It usually takes a lot of energy to follow through one of these complaints with an ombudsman and the process usually goes on for many months or years.  I also have some personal issues about having to get my MP involved on this as I know him for other reasons and he would probably see this as a petty matter as he has no record of ever speaking up against the misuse of 084 and 087 numbers.

People should consider approaching both their MP and their MEPs over this matter.  MEPs are often rarely approached by constituents (so are not overwhelmed with work) and you have a choice of between around 7 and 10 (depending which area you are in and your own party political affiliations) so you might be able to find one covering your constituency who is hot on competition matters.  An MP should be able to introduce your complaint to the Ombudsman and an MEP should be able to escalate matters within the EU Commission if they see your complaint as legitimate.

One of the most interesting points is that many Labour backbench MPs are now very exercised indeed on this matter over things like the DWP's Jobcentre Plus service using 0845 numbers but still nothing is done about it.  It still seems more important to the new Labour supremos not to upset their commercial allies and benefactors like Sky and Capita. Shocked Angry Cry
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2008 at 10:54am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #49 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 12:44pm

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #50 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 2:14pm

idb wrote on Jun 25th, 2008 at 12:44pm:

Intersting bunch. All informed respondents (no disrespect intended to non-experts) are critical in one way or another.

BT appears to be restating its desire to drop its rates to match those for geo numbers and also expresses a desire to do the same with 0845.
The UKCTA expresses the views of BT’s competitors who clearly show their intention not to take this option as they only quibble over how their premium prices will be declared.

Could we open a competition to guess the redacted words or phrases?
I would offer “larcenous” and “intending to profit from the confirmed levels of consumer ignorance that Ofcom so helpfully brings to their attention”.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #51 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 2:23pm

If you dial 141 in front of these non geo numbers, how is it possible for the 'receiver' able to charge you for the call. I am probably a bit naive here and I am sure SCV will have an answer for me!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #52 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 2:41pm

sherbert wrote on Jun 25th, 2008 at 2:23pm:
If you dial 141 in front of these non geo numbers, how is it possible for the 'receiver' able to charge you for the call. I am probably a bit naive here and I am sure SCV will have an answer for me!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure that many others could have explained that it is your telephone company that charges you a premium for calling "revenue sharing numbers. It then shares this revenue with the receiver's telephone company through the higher "termination rates" referred to in the consultation. This extra money is either used to provide discounted services to the receiver or handed over as cash.

Thanks for reminding us that many who follow the forum are not fully "in the know". It is a sign of intelligence, not naivety, to have the courage to ask what some may see as a stupid question.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #53 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 2:46pm

I thought there had to be a simple answer and I really appreciate your reply to my question.

Many thanks.

IP Logged

nicholas43

Reply #54 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 4:10pm

Please could one of you experts fill in some big gaps in my understanding too?

Is it true that
(a) Number Translation is a service that honest companies can reasonably want, but there was and is no technical reason for fronting it by special numbers? They could (maybe actually can?) get it fronted by an 01 or 02 number, but obviously they would then have to pay the market price for whatever NT they require -  as they will on the new 03 numbers?
(b) the historic 0345 was well-intentioned, in the days when people paid more for non-local calls? (Companies using it had to pay to receive calls, didn't they?)
(c) Once 0345 morphed to 0845, 0845 and 0870 were sold as numbers companies could rely on keeping, while Oftel/Ofcom fooled around changing 01 to 071 to 020 7 (etc etc) By that time, there was such a huge profit margin in the retail price of landline to landline calls, that Telcos were able to sell 0870, and latterly also 0845, numbers to large users with cutprice NT technology, or cash rebates, or both.
(d) Ofcom failed to spot, or deliberately overlooked, that allowing revenue sharing on 0870 and 0845 would fossilize their high prices. Meanwhile, the market price of call from a landline to an honest 01 or 02 number has dropped to 5 pence (most of which goes on logging the call, sharing the pitiful revenue, and putting your itemised bill on line?

Nicholas

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #55 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 5:16pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jun 25th, 2008 at 2:14pm:

Could we open a competition to guess the redacted words or phrases?
I would offer “larcenous” and “intending to profit from the confirmed levels of consumer ignorance that Ofcom so helpfully brings to their attention”.

On the plus side it would appear that this consultee's response has actually had the rare privilege of being read with a fine toothcomb by senior Ofcom staff (not to mention their senior lawyers) rather than simply ignored (the normal fate of consultation responses provided to Ofcom).

I think one should regard being subject to Redaction by Ofcom as a badge of honour.  It does show what a sad load of paranoid and wholly anally retentive people they clearly all are though.  They clearly believe in the same tactics as Robert Mugabe or Saddam Hussein for dealing with views from the opposition that they do not care for the sound of.  My previous understanding of Redaction by Ofcom is that the content of consultations or other documents was only Redacted at the request of the owner of that document when it fell under the heading of commercial confidentiality etc.

When I have a moment I will dig out the scissored quotes and post them for others to judge whether there was any possible justification for their redactions (use of the fashioned censor's blue pencil in layman's speak).
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2008 at 5:58pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #56 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 6:08pm

nicholas43 wrote on Jun 25th, 2008 at 4:10pm:
Is it true that

(a) Number Translation is a service that honest companies can reasonably want, but there was and is no technical reason for fronting it by special numbers? They could (maybe actually can?) get it fronted by an 01 or 02 number, but obviously they would then have to pay the market price for whatever NT they require -  as they will on the new 03 numbers?

Yes it is true all the same facilities can be provided on 01/02.  The Foreign & Commonwealth Office has an 020 based phone system with all the features you suggest on a geographic phone number or numbers.

Quote:
(b) the historic 0345 was well-intentioned, in the days when people paid more for non-local calls? (Companies using it had to pay to receive calls, didn't they?)
(c) Once 0345 morphed to 0845, 0845 and 0870 were sold as numbers companies could rely on keeping, while Oftel/Ofcom fooled around changing 01 to 071 to 020 7 (etc etc) By that time, there was such a huge profit margin in the retail price of landline to landline calls, that Telcos were able to sell 0870, and latterly also 0845, numbers to large users with cutprice NT technology, or cash rebates, or both.

I think OFTEL allowed the whole system to come in to being always knowing that it was a wonderful opportunity to separate retail phone call pricing from business phone call pricing and protect phone company margins by cutting headline retail call prices while allowing calls to businesses to become ever more expensive protecting telco revenues.  I campaigned against 0990/0870 and 0845/0345 as long ago as 1998 and it was clear even that they cost me more to call than other numbers and that OFTEL was fully in bed with the telecoms industry to orchestrate this scam even at that stage.  The numbers were marketed to the Police etc by the telecoms companies knowing full well it was a way to earn hidden revenue share on the numbers.

Quote:
(d) Ofcom failed to spot, or deliberately overlooked, that allowing revenue sharing on 0870 and 0845 would fossilize their high prices. Meanwhile, the market price of call from a landline to an honest 01 or 02 number has dropped to 5 pence (most of which goes on logging the call, sharing the pitiful revenue, and putting your itemised bill on line?

By the time Ofcom came in to existence the problems with 084/7 ripoffs were blatant and widespread and should have been dealt with by their predecessors OFTEL.  Ofcom has persistently failed to act against these scam numbers under pressure from powerful friends of New Labour like Sky and Capita that they do not wish to see profitable 084/7 revenue share scamming brought to an end.  Ofcom consut, consult and consult and the end result is no action and the consumer still being blatantly ripped off and subjected to misleading price indications.  084/7 numbers even continue to be misdescribed as Lo-Call/Local Call and National Rate on phone bills, even though Ofcom's General Conditions govern what must be shown in phone bills. Shocked Angry

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #57 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 8:13am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/jun/27/telecoms.regulators

This article in today's Guardian suggests that the dispute over termination rates on calls to mobiles may suffer from a further intervention. It also suggests that no resolution is expected until "the Autumn". Regardless of what may happen from the EU, the latter comment shows that Ofcom's proposed "Changes to 0870" are dead for a long time to come.

Edited:
Further investigation shows that there are many other articles covering this announcement and that there is a EU consultation on regulation of termination rates in general, not just those from landlines to mobiles. Members may be interested to read this. (I have not done so yet.)

One must note that this raises significant issues for the UK telecomms market in general as much of what we see is based on cross-subsidy, rather than cost-based pricing. Free mobile handsets are the most obvious example, but there is also the rates charged by BT for calling 0845 numbers.

(Perhaps discussion in this thread should be restricted to implications for the Ofcom proposals put out to consultation.)
Jun 27th, 2008 at 8:53am

Edited:
Yet further research finds the press release and Q&A issued by the EU - happy reading!!
Jun 27th, 2008 at 9:26am
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2008 at 9:29am by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #58 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 8:49am

I see that the top man at Ofcom is going next year

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #59 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 6:08pm

sherbert wrote on Jun 27th, 2008 at 8:49am:
I see that the top man at Ofcom is going next year

No suggestion of that on a Google News search for "Ed Richards" and no admission from Ofcom itself to that effect in any of their Update emails.

What exactly are you basing your comments on?

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, Dave, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge