Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Recruitment Agencies and 0870 Numbers (Read 16,253 times)
NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: Recruitment Agencies and 0870 Numbers
Reply #15 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 1:20pm

Jobcentre brings up 22 results in a forum search.

This one looks interesting:-

www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1163061909/48#48

You need to trace the Jobcentreplus response to a previous Ofcom consultations about 084/7 numbers.

OK found it.

See http://www1.bsc.org.uk/consult/condocs/numberingreview/responses/JobCentrePlus.p...

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #16 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 1:50pm

longusername wrote on Jun 10th, 2008 at 12:18pm:
Maybe the best thing is to start by putting in an FOI request to JobCentre Plus to ask whether they are gaining a revenue share of the 0845 numbers. Have there been any previous FOI requests regarding JobCentre Plus?

The DWP "gave up" revenue in December 2007 and part of this was offset against other costs, parliamentary questions have revealed. I presume this includes 0845 numbers for Job Centres. As we know, the call cost remains the same.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #17 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 2:02pm

Dave wrote on Jun 10th, 2008 at 1:50pm:
The DWP "gave up" revenue in December 2007 and part of this was offset against other costs, parliamentary questions have revealed. I presume this includes 0845 numbers for Job Centres. As we know, the call cost remains the same.

But self evidently the offset against other costs (eg against cost of outgoing phone calls with the same telecoms provider offering the incoming 0845 phone number) is still in fact a revenue share derived from the 0845 call income stream that is simply more disguised.  I am sure the DWP would lose on this if the matter ever went to court.

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #18 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 2:08pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jun 10th, 2008 at 2:02pm:
But self evidently the offset against other costs (eg against cost of outgoing phone calls with the same telecoms provider offering the incoming 0845 phone number) is still in fact a revenue share derived from the 0845 call income stream that is simply more disguised.  I am sure the DWP would lose on this if the matter ever went to court.

Indeed.

And even the fact that the numbers remain in place means that customers are still charged. Whether the receipient chooses to receive it or not is up to them.

IP Logged

longusername

Reply #19 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 2:14pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jun 10th, 2008 at 1:10pm:
I think they will have claimed they take no revenue share though but underlyingly we know the company providing the telecoms contract will do it cheaper if they can use an 0845 than if not.  Hard to prove though.

Thanks NGMG,

I think that even if they do deny revenue sharing, the point made by Keith at the following link is correct.

http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1130983483/12#12

Surely as so long as 0845 services are capable of generating revenue, then effectively the jobcentre is making fee, and making a fee illegal under the 1973 act.

Either the government is failing in its public duty to reach the optimal arrangement with the 0845 supplier, or it is receiving services in kind.

I would have thought that either way the telecoms provider is operating on behalf of the government and, no matter whether the revenue goes to the provider or the government, the caller is being charged a fee.

What do you think we should do next?

Best, LUN

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #20 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 2:23pm

longusername wrote on Jun 10th, 2008 at 2:14pm:
What do you think we should do next?

Write to the DWP and copy in MPs who have shown an interest in non-geographical numbers by asking questions in Parliament. That way, they may decide to take up the matter.

Before that, we need to establish from BERR whether it considers that 0845 use is against the law, and whether it considers 0870 use to so as well.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge