Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
iPhone app (Read 97,008 times)
kurtis5561

Re: iPhone app
Reply #15 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 2:20pm

unknowndomain wrote on Aug 15th, 2008 at 11:30am:
I am sorry you don't want this application however the API will open up the information to specified developers so plugins to skype, outlook, firefox and applications for iPhone, windows mobile, symbian,and java, widgets for dashboard, gadgets for sidebar, and web mashups can be developed all enhancing the sites community, and use meaning that they will make more by donations and have more visitors to the site eventually clicking links.

No it won't people will just use the sidebar gadget or similar and not visit the site, Maybe someone will inplement the API to their site passing the whole database off as their own.

Why should the site owner pay for bandwith for visitors his site isn't even receiving? That will more than likely destroy the community

Quote:
I think your comment is short sighted and spiteful, designed only to provoke and I don't see why you feel this way as no one is proposing any thing which affects the site negatively.

It will effect the site as people won't bother visiting this site they will either use a 3rd party access tool or site, You have even thought of plans to market the product for finacial gain.

I am not being spiteful, I have seen across the internet iPhone users saying we need iPhone apps because the iPhone is the only phone to feature applications, it annoys me, sorry if I caused offence, but 98.7% of all iPhone users need to grow up.

IP Logged

unknowndomain

UK
Reply #16 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 2:45pm

Okay I don't understand why you feel that because one iPhone user you met somewhere is an idiot means that all iPhone users are the same, claiming 98.7% need to grow up is a ridiculous statement and again only goes to cause offence.

If we can keep objective, I want the application for my own personal use, I.e. to save my monthly O2 bill as we all know that the phone networks don't include 08 numbers in your inclusive minutes.

I proposed that myself and one other do the bulk of the work, asking for the site owners permission was not just a curtsy but a necessity as I didn't want to violate the owners copyright or cause unnecessary load scraping their server.

I am investigating this for the community because if I was only working on this for my own benefit I would just go ahead and write the app which scrapes the screen and only use it my self, not sharing with others which is what I want to do.

While I can understand the need for security which is why the API like most would require a secret key for access embedded in the iPhone application it would be hard for others to access the code, and would be something which could easily be changed with each new release, or could be a code generated using other information or additionally requiring users to sign up to the service.

The API should not as you have highlighted by a public free for all service otherwise clone sites would appear and that would affect the community, this site has something no other has, a good and known brand, a full database and a community.

The suggestion that I want to make financial gain from this application is stupid, no offence to the site owner but this site is very clearly here to make money at least for the hosting if nothing else, and why not but I personally do not want to make money out of this application, I would offer it free of charge and if the site owner wished a pay pal link would be possible, the cost of developing this app is low but to put it on the App Store would cost me money, which I am willing to pay to get this app out there.

I don't want to continue this argument, its pointless, we know your against the idea and I am for it, the argument is simply descending into spiteful comments and is unproductive, we shall wait and see what the site owner says, if he declines I will work on an application for my own use which scrapes the site, thus not causing any loss to him. I am just looking to share what I do with the community in a way which doesn't affect the owners copyright.

unknowndomain  
IP Logged

simonmaddox

Reply #17 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 2:55am

I actually had a free iPhone app "In Review" on the App Store, but it got rejected because it was "circumventing carrier policies". It was originally developed for my own use, but then had a number of friends asking me to release it.

I've got screenshots on my Flickr page here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonmaddox/sets/72157606293730652/

Looked through a whole load of posts about whether I could use SayNoTo0870 for this, but I didn't seem to find anything conclusive for or against it.

IP Logged

unknowndomain

UK
Reply #18 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 8:58am

well thanks very much apple for thinking different for a change. It did occour to me that this might be an issue but it's totally unfair.

I guess a web app it is then.

unknowndomain  
IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #19 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 5:25pm

I still think there should be a mobile version of this site, which was promised a long time ago, but was never forthcoming. It should be based on mobile web standards and cater for as wide a range of phones as possible. Proper WAP support it important, and should be an option for everyone regardless of what their phone supports, as it's much more compact so will save bandwidth costs for people on PAYG - after all, this is a site for people wanting to save the pennies, so not everyone will be paying £40/month or whatever it is for unlimited internet access on an iPhone.

I have long suspected there isn't a WAP version because it wouldn't make money through AdSense ads in the way the website does. However, there is now "AdSense for Mobile", which even seems to support WAP, so that isn't even an excuse.

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #20 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 7:05pm

I think the iPhone owners have got a bit carried away.

As for what's been shown so far, my understanding is that Cupertino and Glendale and the other places are in California. Maybe a bit more writing software than copying pictures (which I notice are about 150 kilobytes each) ...

It  may surprise the iPhone fans, but there are other phones with data facilities on them, and even on the other main networks! And it's already possible to view a webpage to do a search of the database here. It's even possible to copy a number off the page (though not in full when I did it earlier)

But even though for example the OperaMini browser works pretty well ( and only uses a few k of data - please note), I agree with the last post that a simple page for wap browsers would help the most people. Not everyone is on O2, and not all of those have an iPhone.

But, without me knowing what the problems are, clearly so far nobody has managed to come up with a method that satisfies the concerns of the site owner here.

Perhaps the amateur iPhone application writers should save their bandwidth-wasting or carrier policy circumventing skills for other projects.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2008 at 7:09pm by andy9 »  

IP Logged

unknowndomain

UK
Reply #21 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 12:20am

I think everyone has missed the point, we/I simply want permission and access to the site to create an app my self, I don't expect the site owner to do this work for me, however its obvious that apple are not going to allow such an app on their site, so its pointless, but I would like to offer my services in helping to get some kind of mobile site up and running for all phones, as google now has a mobile phone ads option.

I can code PHP, MySQL, HTML, CSS and I would like to work with you on this!

unknowndomain  
IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #22 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 10:11am

The owner of this site is very reluctant to allow anyone to use the data, in part because he generates revenue from the adverts on the site. Unfortunately, the site has changed very little, if at all, over the last few years, and there seems to be little interest in his improving it or producing a mobile version, despite there being a lot of expertise among the members and plenty of people willing to do the work for free. Your best bet is to contact the owner (user "Forum Admin") directly.

The second, very valid point in my opinion is that it's better to develop a service using web standards, rather than producing an application that's limited to one proprietary platform (the iPhone). Maybe you didn't really mean you wanted something for the iPhone specifically, but it's worrying enough if people now use "iPhone app" as if it were a generic term for "mobile website".

IP Logged

eric_donovan

Reply #23 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 2:28pm

Well an open API (which is what unknowndomain is asking for) would most likely be implemented in a web standard (XML, HTTP etc), leaving developers of all sorts to create mobile apps connecting to the database if they have a key granted by the owner.

I work in mobile software development and there is no mobile technology that works on all mobile devices, it's not the same as the computer world. WAP works on quite a few phones (certainly not all) but it's not a great user experience to say the least, mobile Java works on many handsets but not iPhone and not Android ones. iPhone, Android and Windows mobile are all there own platforms. But crucially developing something on iPhone does not prevent you then developing something on another platform too.

I really sympathise unknowndomain, I too attempted to contact the owner (about developing a mobile java) version but just received no reply.

The simple fact is that things move on and if the owner is stuck in the web 1.0 world of not opening up, not sharing and not improving the site, eventually it'll get taken over by something else. Not stepping up to these challenges is a shame and I think a betrail of all the people who have put there own effort into researching the numbers.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to research a new database of numbers but I'm going to give it a go anyway.

BTW Apple refusing to load that app is scary and does highlight a major problem with the iPhone apps model - the ability of Apple to dictate what applications people should be allowed to load on to their phone, shame that this time they came down on the sides of 0870 providers rather than the consumer.

IP Logged

eric_donovan

Reply #24 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 2:56pm

sorry but I just read this:
Quote:
Perhaps the amateur iPhone application writers should save their bandwidth-wasting or carrier policy circumventing skills for other projects.

'bandwidth-enhacing' would be more accurate - the saynoto0870 web page contains a whole lot more data than an API would and that's not even including the images that the web page comes with.

compare this (which is what an open API might present):

<resp>
   <t>company name</t>
   <n>0870123123</n>
   <n>0207123123</n>
</resp>

to the source of this web page (go ahead and look - view, page source)

and as for Quote:
carrier policy circumventing skills
I suppose that's a joke because in it's original context this entire 0870 web site would be classed as carrier poilicy circumvention.

I'm really shocked at how negative the responses have been to someone willing to donate their time to increasing the number of people who can benefit from this site, surely that's what we all want - as many people as possible to use alternatives to 0870 numbers?

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #25 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 4:02pm

eric_donovan wrote on Nov 13th, 2008 at 2:56pm:
sorry but I just read this:
Quote:

'bandwidth-enhacing' would be more accurate - ...

and as for Quote:
carrier policy circumventing skills
I suppose that's a joke because ...

I'll explain my two remarks, as you've apparently missed how they relate to some of the content of the thread.

The example given shows image that contain place names in California, and the data sizes are 150k and 200k.

I know nothing of writing iPhone applications, but on that evidence it's fair to wonder how much this person knows either; it certainly is not a preliminary sample of the proposed application in action, and if simple images like that use that much data, one wonders how efficient the thing would be written for someone without inclusive data.

The remark about circumventing carrier policy is a direct quote of Apple declining to carry an author's product. If you think the comment is a joke, perhaps you might start correspondence to make those views known to Apple.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2008 at 4:10pm by andy9 »  

IP Logged

unknowndomain

UK
Reply #26 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 4:07pm

I think this subject is getting rather silly, I posted up some mock-up images to share, 150k where that came from I don't know but the amount of text being transferred would be in the bytes range not the kilobytes range, so there is no need to worry there, and even if Apple say no to a native app we could still develop a web app for the iphone which would be mostly css and would require a single gif image 1px wide by 20-30 px high in b&w to get the nice bar across the top hardly a high resouloution image. The rest is CSS.

Anyway I have given up asking the site owner for permission and have moved on to other things this is not really up for discussion any more, the answer is the site owner doesn't care and I am fed up of trying to convince people that this is a good idea, clearly no one wants such an application so there we go.

unknowndomain  
IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #27 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 4:21pm

unknowndomain wrote on Nov 13th, 2008 at 4:07pm:
... and I am fed up of trying to convince people that this is a good idea, clearly no one wants such an application so there we go.

One of the problems was talking about it as if only iPhone owners counted, which is what caused some other people to take umbrage

Does the iPhone have a web browser? Then look at this website using it. Can a number on a webpage be clicked on and directly dialled? Then do so. If not, get Apple to work on the suggestion, as other phones can.

In other words, for people with suitable phones and inclusive data packages, the capability is already there. It would be more generous to develop a stripped down wap version for basic phones and people who don't want to spend loads on data. But even then there are other issues already pointed out.

IP Logged

unknowndomain

UK
Reply #28 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 5:15pm

Well funnily enough I was suggesting that a version for the iphone be built, and thus for all phones which was a stripped down version as we discovered we could not build the app , however no one was interested they are all just ******* bitching about stuff with out reading.

unknowndomain  
IP Logged

eric_donovan

Reply #29 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 11:20pm

andy9 wrote on Nov 13th, 2008 at 4:02pm:
The remark about circumventing carrier policy is a direct quote of Apple declining to carry an author's product. If you think the comment is a joke, perhaps you might start correspondence to make those views known to Apple.

Good God man! I don't know how I can explain it any more simply, but I'll humour you just this once.

I realize it was Apple who originally accused the author of "carrier policy circumventing", by repeating it you appear to be agreeing with Apple. Let me translate for you because I think you've misunderstood what it means:

carrier - this is US speak for network operator i.e. companies like Vodafone, Orange and especially O2
policy - the policy that these companies have of charging you 20p per minute for calling 0800 numbers
circumventing - encouraging users to dial geographical numbers instead

"carrier policy circumventing" is the whole point of this very web site.

Apple does not want to upset O2 or any other carrier by allowing the author's iPhone application because it could reduce the amount of revenue that O2 gets and O2 might get cross and not like the iPhone anymore. That's why I assumed it was your joke to repeat it, but hey, you're perfectly within your rights to agree with Apple or O2 for that matter.

Quote:

Quote:
The example given shows image that contain place names in California, and the data sizes are 150k and 200k.

You don't understand. It's not your fault, you're not a developer. The size of an image of an application has absolutely nothing to do with what size it actually is or how it functions. It's really like saying "that picture of that cake's big, it must have loads of calories in it".

One of the main advantages of applications versus web pages is that the bandwidth used is typically less. Any images needed for the functioning of the application are included within the application itself and downloaded at install time. Subsequent to that, there is no need to continually download the same images as you typically do in a web page, all the application needs to function is the raw data - no more than a few bytes for each phone number request. So you see actually the complete opposite of bandwidth wasting.

I hope that has cleared up a few things, but to be honest the message is loud and clear - no thanks to any site improvements or additions unless it is actually done by the owner, who appears not to be interested. Shame.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge