Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Site redesign & rebranding (Read 41,957 times)
SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: Site redesign & rebranding
Reply #30 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 3:07pm

Dave wrote on Aug 6th, 2009 at 12:03pm:
There is one further question and that is what do we term as "abuse" or "misuse" of geographical numbers given as alternatives?

My original posting referred to misuse as being the use of a number for a purpose other than that advised.  I see no reason to go any further into definition in addressing this point with reference to the branding of SayNoTo0870, although the discussion could move on to also cover “abuse”.

I would suggest that abuse occurs when a geo number is called deliberately for the purpose of causing inconvenience (or worse) to the called party. This could be simply to express (justified) annoyance at the use of non-geographic numbers to any employee or agent of the organisation who happens to answer the call. Misuse of a number can lead on to another type of abuse – that of the caller or the person answering the call by the other, perhaps both. I hope that the SayNoTo0870 brand would wish to be seen to be doing all it can to prevent all such abuse, both in its general statements of policy and in its practice.

I regret the fact that we are now getting stuck in the history of particular cases that have been discussed separately, after the grounds for this general site-related discussion had been drawn. I had hoped to use an example as a “jumping off point” for a wider discussion, not for an extended analysis of points of detail that could more properly be conducted in the relevant thread.  I do hope that this thread will be blessed with many diverse expressions of opinion about the re-branding of SayNoTo0870.

On the relevant point of detail – let us forget these cases and refer to the advice on the Home Page of www.saynoto0870.com.

Quote:
Many companies advertise a separate number that can be used when calling from abroad - ... - There is nothing to stop you using this number from the UK

In these cases it is not the saynoto0870 database from which a number would have to be removed to prevent misuse! The highlighted phrase alleges a right, which represents a clear declaration of war against those who wish to offer a separate service to overseas callers. It is also an incitement to challenge a refusal to deal with a UK caller to the number.

Perhaps further contributors to the thread would like to offer their comments on this brand statement.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #31 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 4:54pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Aug 4th, 2009 at 3:19pm:
Furthermore on the topic of branding, there may be concern that SayNoTo0870 is happy for callers to misuse geographic numbers published for one clearly defined purpose as alternative to non-geographic numbers published for a different defined purpose. It has been reported that a service on a geographic number had to be withdrawn because of the level of abuse, some of which may have arisen from its publication as an alternative in the SayNo database. One could argue that we are fighting a war and therefore all is fair. Others would suggest that we are seeking to persuade, and improper action may reduce the chances of our reasonable arguments being granted a hearing.

I make these points having somewhat reluctantly, and perhaps improperly, risen to a challenge to defend SayNoTo0870 in the media recently. If the "brand" should become further tainted, this is something that I would not be prepared to do.

You  are raising deep questions about the purpose and basis for the existence of this website SCV.    I understand your reason to be that you invite input from other contributors to this Forum to help you formulate your responses to questions, which may come your way, which doubt the legitimate purpose of this website and even attack it for undermining the status quo and the stability and success of the telecommunications industry, leading to a loss of the moral fibre of this country, the rule of law, and ultimately the existence of a civilised society.   I see your motive as not to attack this site yourself but as seeking valid argument to justify the existence of this site and its actions.

The question you raise seems to me to beg a number of others;---

Why did this site come into existence in the first place?

Perhaps the original founders could/should answer this, but I would suggest that it was a natural and legitimate response to the existence of 08 numbers which are more expensive to call for everyday members of the public who want to avoid being ripped off by revenue sharing techniques and numbers which carry a premium rate.

It responds to the introduction of 08 numbers which some would say, and I wouldn’t disagree, have no other purpose than to generate more revenue for the telecomms industry, but do it in a way which abuses the trust and compliant nature of the British public..     All the facilities offered are also available using geographic numbers and therefore the only reason for the existence of 08 numbers is to enable higher prices to be charged and revenue to be shared with the owners of the 08 numbers.    

There is an ethical problem with 08 numbers however, in that the revenue sharing has not been openly declared or made well known to the public generally, and there has been a history of obfuscation and misinformation about the true cost to the public of calling these numbers.   Some companies and even government departments have gone to great lengths to hide their underlying geographic numbers, the IR now HMRC for example, and to prevent the public from finding them and using them while at the same time making geo numbers available to business and professional callers.   We know that these geo numbers work perfectly well because thousands of people call thousands of alternative numbers every day, and they work perfectly without detriment to the organisations or the public.   The public use them to avoid the higher cost of the 08 numbers.    Are the public “misusing” the alternative numbers?    

Companies and government departments have been persuaded into using 08 numbers by the telecomms industry firstly claiming that “intelligent network facilities” such as call routing, forwarding, queuing, monitoring and statistics are only available with 08 numbers, which is not true, and secondly by the offer of a small slice of the revenue , the share or bribe, which allows the telecomms industry to profiteer at the expense of a deceived and gullible public.    The users of this website are still very much a small minority are not gullible and refuse to be deceived or conned.

Are the public “misusing” all the geographic alternative numbers by using them?

We are playing a game, rather than fighting a war, even though we would prefer not to be, and the rules of the game have been established for some years.   The game is “find the alternative number”.    There is no legislation which prohibits such activity, nor which says that geo numbers are secret, nor which says they cannot be used by anybody.   This site exists to help people find these numbers and play the game.    Tax avoidance is legit, tax evasion is not.    It seems avoidance of revenue sharing rip-off numbers is legit, so people who wish to avoid the “tax” can legitimately do so if they have the wit and the will.   We can play the game quite legitimately.

Limit reached.  To be continued in next post.
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2009 at 7:23pm by loddon »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #32 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 5:00pm

(Continued from previous post)

So if HMRC decide to impose, improperly, a “tax” on phone calls to their offices made by ordinary people and to discriminate against those people in favour of big business who do not have to pay the “tax” there seems to be something in natural law which says that this is fundamentally unfair.    Hence we campaign against this unfairness and in getting the “tax” removed, meanwhile people are free to play the game of phoning HMRC in any way which enables them to avoid this “tax” which itself is an abuse of their trust.   If HMRC find that volumes of calls are channelled in a way which does not suit them then this is a problem of their own making and it cannot be a misuse by the everyday public who are merely playing the game.

We are contesting an unfair system, in 08 numbers, which seeks to exploit, deceive and profiteer against the public.   It is for government and public services to ensure that this does not continue.   It is also for commerce and business to consider their own ethics, the image they are presenting and the goodwill of the public who they are trying to attract towards their own business, and to weigh up whether using 08 numbers improperly is not counter productive to their own business objectives, and that a more honest and straightforward approach might be better.   In other words, they should revert to normal geographic, or possibly 03, numbers.
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2009 at 6:43pm by loddon »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #33 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 5:21pm

HERE! HERE! Loddon, well said.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #34 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 9:34pm

loddon wrote on Aug 6th, 2009 at 5:00pm:
… If HMRC find that volumes of calls are channelled in a way which does not suit them then this is a problem of their own making and it cannot be a misuse by the everyday public who are merely playing the game.

loddon, I agree with all you say. Rightly or wrongly, in other areas such as the NHS, the principle of choice is being introduced. "Customer is king" and all, but HMRC is disjointed from this policy and, some might say, stuck in the past.
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2009 at 9:34pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #35 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 2:30am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Aug 6th, 2009 at 3:07pm:
On the relevant point of detail – let us forget these cases and refer to the advice on the Home Page of www.saynoto0870.com.

Quote:
Many companies advertise a separate number that can be used when calling from abroad - ... - There is nothing to stop you using this number from the UK

In these cases it is not the saynoto0870 database from which a number would have to be removed to prevent misuse! The highlighted phrase alleges a right, which represents a clear declaration of war against those who wish to offer a separate service to overseas callers. It is also an incitement to challenge a refusal to deal with a UK caller to the number.

Perhaps further contributors to the thread would like to offer their comments on this brand statement.

Organisations that use 08 NGNs often publish +441/+442 numbers for calling from overseas because the +448 number is not callable from such locations. The highlighted statement merely points out that a number written in international format (i.e. prefixed +44) can be called nationally from within the UK.

The vast majority of organisations aren't phased by callers from the UK using the "overseas" alternative. Hence this tip is good way of obtaining an alternative to get round the main revenue sharing number.
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2009 at 2:35am by Dave »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #36 - Aug 8th, 2009 at 10:53am

Dave wrote on Aug 7th, 2009 at 2:30am:
this tip

Unfortunately, the terms in which this "tip" is expressed cause some to see it as an incitement to demand that in cases where the "overseas" number is directed to a special services team it may be fairly used for domestic calls. Other postings suggest that this is how it should be understood.

Clearly, where the number is a genuine alternative that routes to the same point it indeed provides an excellent means of avoiding premium charges.

There are cases where those receiving calls on numbers designed for one purpose are content to fulfil another, or forward the call. Where this occurs, it cannot be seen as "misuse" because the terms of use are effectively redefined by practice.

I am firmly opposed to inappropriate use of revenue sharing numbers, and see most of it as inappropriate under present circumstances, because there is no duty to declare the indirect commercial relationship between the caller and the called party that is created. There are particular cases where such a relationship is totally unacceptable. Despite this, and my efforts to instigate change, I have to disagree with the widely supported suggestion that all arms of all organisations that use revenue sharing numbers carry a responsibility for this impropriety and therefore have to duty to nullify its effects in any way that a caller may deem appropriate.

I see it as acceptable to politely and honestly seek to exploit the goodwill of someone who has been called on an inappropriate number - I do it frequently in the course of campaigning. Demanding exceptional treatment, as if of right, on account of a fully justified grievance with the organisation they represent, is quite different.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave, CJT-80, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge