Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
SayNoTo118800.co.uk (Read 89,801 times)
andy9
Supreme Member

Re: SayNoTo118800.co.uk
Reply #45 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 5:21pm

Mobile118 wrote on Aug 12th, 2009 at 8:59pm:
My thoughts on 118 800 is this is a good idea,  but just handled very wrongly - I would have done it very different. I have met them and I am sure of their good intension's, but I can guarantee you they never expected this backlash. When I met them over a year ago they were going to contact each user and make sure they wanted to be added.

The general public will never use this brand 118 800 need to rethink. I am not aware of any company that has managed to make a success after such bad publicity. When people wont even opt out because they are paranoid the company will use their details you know you have issues. When they re launch (and they will) expect more emails, web sites and campaigns...

I accept your view of their good motives, but they certainly made some blunders.

edit: after a bit more reading, I changed my mind - see below and the 118800 thread

The obviously deliberate switch from defaulted out to default in but opt-out method has come across with unintended tones unfortunately redolent of blackmail or protection racket, and as I said it is counter-intuitive, and as you imply likely to cause distrust, to have to submit details to have them removed.

What's more, the method, sending the person a text message that someone else wants to contact them, then they can decide whether to call back, could be absolutely vulnerable to exploitation by marketing spammers (especially if they can discover the underlying landline numbers of this service without calling 118800) - for instance, some idiot wants to talk to me about something I wouldn't be interested in, and instead of not being able to reach me at all, can get a message sent to me to ask me to call them at my expense instead of theirs.

And that doesn't seem so unlikely, considering that 118800 has obtained its data from marketing organisations, and it therefore might not be a stunning surprise if it set up reciprocal deals and supplied info back to other corporate customers, especially if cashflow doesn't pick up as fast as in the business plan ...

I don't believe they have 15 million numbers though; there are probably loads of duplicates.
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2009 at 6:36pm by andy9 »  

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #46 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 5:32pm

saynoto118800 wrote on Aug 13th, 2009 at 4:46pm:
Hi, Much the same as if you call a 0800 number - calls are charged at your standard mobile rate but are free of charge to call from a landline.

Why are you so concerned about an Organisation who sells personal details to 118800 being charged to call these numbers ?
I am assuming that you are closely affiliated with one  of these Organisations, hence your determination to bring down our legitimate service www.saynoto118800.co.uk  Angry

You have made two spectacular blunders here.

First, your knowledge of phone tariffs is incompetent. The claim that 0800 numbers are charged at a so-called your standard rate from mobiles is complete nonsense. They are never included in inclusive minutes, and will always be charged a different rate from standard calls, though BT Mobile has them free.

Second, your personal attack on NGM's integrity is bizarre and absurd. He is one of the most devoted and non-conformist observers of double-standards in telecoms industries, and the very fantasy he might have a secret and undeclared interest in any such company, an accusation he has been known to level at others from time to time, sometimes wrongly (including me), is one of the most improbable and hysterically funny concepts I've seen for a long time.
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2009 at 5:40pm by andy9 »  

IP Logged

saynoto118800

Reply #47 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 5:35pm

Hi, Barry here.

Sherbert, if you read my post I said "the 07 rates vary on Network and operator"
0800 numbers are free to call from a landline NOT 07 numbers.

In what respect are we 'doomed to failure' ? Maybe you would be so kind enough as to elaborate ??
Why should it matter if we are sued ? Is that not what happens in today's 'blame and claim' society ?
We are not hiding from anyone - quite the opposite. Unlike 118800, we are not cowering behind a PO Box. We are being totally transparent and open with everyone - something which is obviously inconceivable with some people.

On what grounds do you think they would sue us anyway..? Nothing like a good lawsuit to keep you on your toes Grin

Kind regards,

Barry Issell

www.SayNoTo118800.co.uk
66-68 St.Loyes Street
Bedford MK40 1EZ

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #48 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 6:28pm

I've read a bit more, and changed my mind about according to 118800 the benefit on any doubt, which my reply above to David at Mobile118 implied.

But as it is about 118800, I've posted on the thread about that
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2009 at 6:35pm by andy9 »  

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #49 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 7:07pm

saynoto118800 wrote on Aug 13th, 2009 at 4:46pm:
the Safe numbers are 07 Personal Numbers.
As you are obviously well aware, the 07 rates vary depending on Network and operator. Much the same as if you call a 0800 number - calls are charged at your standard mobile rate but are free of charge to call from a landline.

I think can see what you may mean now but your statement is very ambiguous or at the least very badly phrased.

So, are you saying that anyone calling a so called safe number is going to pay more for their call than an ordianary mobile number?

I would have thought the easiest way to not have your number listed is to use the opt out facility that 118800 has.....and by the way that facility does work as I tested it before the site went down. I wonder if it is ever going to come back to life again.

I am not too sure how any mobile databse is going to be accurate with people changing their phones frequently, especially 'work ones'.

I reckon if 118800 does ever surface again they could well sue you for trying to damage their business. As it is well backed by the likes of venture capatilists 3i and others,they will have the best barristers to take advice.

IP Logged

saynoto118800

Reply #50 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 7:09pm

Hi, Barry here,

Life insurance is not something I have ever sold, no.
My background is in the Air Cargo business (Air Cess until 2001) when the business was sold and I now own and operate a number of smaller Air Cargo services to various organisations. I have no connection with the Telecoms industry, other than this project.

I travel extensively throughout europe and the UAE and get continually get bombarded with text spam - 118800 was the final straw for me.
Currently having a bit of spare time on my hands means I can get my teeth stuck into this Privacy Campaign, working with the other guys to offer a service that 100% serves a legitimate purpose.

Kind regards,

Barry Issell

www.SayNoTo118800.co.uk
66-68 St.Loyes Street
Bedford MK40 1EZ

IP Logged

saynoto118800

Reply #51 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 7:15pm

"I would have thought the easiest way to not have your number listed is to use the opt out facility that 118800 has.....and by the way that facility does work as I tested it before the site went down. I wonder if it is ever going to come back to life again. "

Yes, that is correct. This is EXACTLY the reason why your mobile number needs to be protected.  Smiley

Kind regards,

Barry Issell

www.SayNoto118800.co.uk
66-68 St.Loyes Street
Bedford MK40 1EZ

IP Logged

Mobile118

Reply #52 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:04pm

Your post makes for interesting reading but I was just curious as to why you only offer your opinions on 118800 and not on the motivations of those who have set up to saynoto118800.  I would have thought you of all people would be likely to have a pretty shrewd idea of who Mr Issell and his colleagues may be and of their real motivations.

You are absolutely right, but as I re read my post it did seem like war and peace so I edited it down. However I will endeavor to tackle the subject 'Barry and saynoto118800'.

Firstly, the following comments are my own. I don’t know Barry or his site so wouldn’t want to accuse him of doing anything unlawful without knowing all the full facts. I also don’t want this to turn personal on Barry, but I do feel its important he knows how we feel.

Do I trust Barry or what his site is promoting? No I don’t. After watching the video with my team we all felt it seemed very dodgy and very staged.  My opinion is Barry has seen a business opportunity and is trying to sell this site as a legitimate solution. You are always replying on this forum Barry, the energy you put into promoting your site is bordering on the unhealthy,  and I don’t honestly believe you are not trying to gain something financially or otherwise from this venture.

Question:

What would happen if after two years I wanted to cancel my safe number? Do I honestly believe you will still be around to cancel it for me? No I don’t.

You spoke about receiving text spam abroad and being charged for it. How many SMS do you honestly think you will receive everyday with people trying to contact you?

You talk about legal cases like you are almost wishing it to happen. Do you really have any experience of how much it will cost you and the pressure you will be under? Your saving grace maybe 118 800 do not wish for any more bad publicity  but I wouldn’t count on it.

You mention about 3i 118 800 having 16 million numbers. They  claim to have 14 million which I believe is widely exaggerated. I think its nearer 6 and how many of them are still live bearing in mind pay as you go and business customers? And how many more will opt out as soon as they can?

Finally, 118 800 will re launch, there will be another out-cry, they will go bust. What this will leave is sites like mobile118.co.uk that collect numbers from people who wish to share numbers and not annoy all the people who don’t providing a free service for people to find mobile numbers. Opt in is the only way forward.

Best Regards

David
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:06pm by Mobile118 »  

IP Logged

saynoto118800

Reply #53 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:45pm

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #54 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 12:16am

saynoto118800 wrote on Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:45pm:

Any chance of a transcript, for those of us who browse with flash and speakers turned off  so as to avoid disturbing the rest of the house..?

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #55 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 9:50am

irrelevant wrote on Aug 14th, 2009 at 12:16am:

Any chance of a transcript, for those of us who browse with flash and speakers turned off  so as to avoid disturbing the rest of the house..?

If you take out the amount of hesitation in the video, it lasts about half the time Grin

Mobile118...my thoughts entirely and could not have put it better myself Smiley

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #56 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 3:40pm

The fact that SayNoTo118800 is predicated largely on the idea of saving you the cost of roamed text spam when overseas when in reality there is no charge for incoming text messages with any UK mobile company when roaming abroad tells us everything we need to know about the competence and credibility of the people behind SayNoTo118800.  If they knew what they were doing they would concentrate on unwanted phone calls overseas where you are paying incoming charges and thus can be a real problem.

The bottom line is I have a strong 6th sense that lets me spot Dodgy Geezers at a very early stage and after watching a couple of saynoto118800 videos on YouTube that 6th sense has been triggered and alerted me to the kind of organisation I am almost certainly dealing with.
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2009 at 4:26pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #57 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 3:45pm

Oh dear I preferred it better when Bazza was in his suit with the world maps in the clean modern office and he at least managed to preserve some small remaining shred of business credibility.  This his sadly been lost altogether in this latest video with the casual gear and the sign saying "helicopter pilots get it up quicker" in the background. Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2009 at 5:13pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

saynoto118800

Reply #58 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 6:02pm

Hi, 'Bazza' here

NGMsGhost, I do have more than one office and depending on the time of day and where I am in the world, will dictate attire worn - apologies for that.

My business credibilty may be lost with yourself - however fortunately I don't appear to have that problem with anyone else I have the pleasure of dealing with in business - so congratulations to you in that respect.

The 'bumper sticker' you refer to would look a little out of place on any of my vehicle bumpers - hence why it got stuck it on the side of a filing cabinet. Not that that has any relevance whatsoever to the topic in hand.. Roll Eyes

Barry Issell
www.SayNoTo118800.co.uk
66-68 St.Loyes Street
Bedford MK40 1EZ

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #59 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 6:43pm

saynoto118800 wrote on Aug 14th, 2009 at 6:02pm:
My business credibilty may be lost with yourself - however fortunately I don't appear to have that problem with anyone else I have the pleasure of dealing with in business - so congratulations to you in that respect.

I thought you seemed to have a rather severe credibility problem with virtually all the other members of the forum involved in this discussion thread.

You have been told why your scheme will not work but like the salesman you are  you simply continue to ignore it.
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2009 at 6:44pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge