Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 45
Send Topic Print
GPs all over England (not just in South Yorkshire) (Read 897,777 times)
mhairi

Re: Doctors Surgeries
Reply #405 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 12:43pm

Hi,

Many thanks for the suggestion of 01295720347 but when it is answered there is silence.

Mhairi

CJT-80 wrote on Feb 23rd, 2011 at 8:06pm:
Hello mhairi

Perhaps this may work : 01295 720 347

please post back and let us know

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #406 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 12:49pm

mhairi wrote on Feb 23rd, 2011 at 7:47pm:
I am looking for the number of the Bloxham (Godswell Lodge) Medical Centre, OX 15, number is  08444778595. I have looked online, on this site and on Yell.com and asked the surgery for a UK landline number but to no avail. Their dispensary has a local number but they can't put me through. I hope you can help?

I posted some guidance on this topic here.

If you happen to know a staff member's direct number, then it might be useful.
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2011 at 12:51pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #407 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 1:04pm

The contact page gives the details for Hook Norton Surgery:

Hook Norton Surgery
Bourne End Surgery
The Bourne
Hook Norton
OX15 5PB

Telephone: 01608 737302

I've just tried this telephone number and it is answered with a message which says it's Bloxham Surgery. This is the same response when calling the 0844 number.

There is a short period of silence before the ringing kicks in which suggests that could be diverted. It's worth bearing in mind that it may or may not be diverted to the same place as the 0844 number all the time.

Do let us know how you get on with this.
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2011 at 1:05pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

mhairi

Reply #408 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 1:50pm

That is the same as when I use the 0844, you are a genius! I also complained to the Practice Mgr and she asked to see my phone bills itemising my costs to wait for an answer to book an appt and she said she will take it up with their provider who has stated we don't pay any extra by dialling 0844!

Many thanks for your help!

Mhairi
Dave wrote on Feb 25th, 2011 at 1:04pm:

Hook Norton Surgery
Bourne End Surgery
The Bourne
Hook Norton
OX15 5PB

I've just tried this telephone number and it is answered with a message which says it's Bloxham Surgery. This is the same response when calling the 0844 number.

There is a short period of silence before the ringing kicks in which suggests that could be diverted. It's worth bearing in mind that it may or may not be diverted to the same place as the 0844 number all the time.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #409 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 1:58pm

mhairi wrote on Feb 25th, 2011 at 1:50pm:
That is the same as when I use the 0844, you are a genius! I also complained to the Practice Mgr and she asked to see my phone bills itemising my costs to wait for an answer to book an appt and she said she will take it up with their provider who has stated we don't pay any extra by dialling 0844!

Sadly this is the incredulous nonsense we hear alot. Contrary to what some seem to believe, we now have a system whereby there are multiple telephone providers which means that caller and receiver are often with different telcos. It is therefore beyond the receiver's provider's control what callers are charged.

Suffice to say that the receiver takes a subsidy of around 5 pence per minute on the 0844 call and that is by design of these numbers. Clearly this surgery lives in cloud cuckoo land.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2011 at 1:58pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #410 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 2:29pm

mhairi wrote on Feb 25th, 2011 at 1:50pm:

Many thanks for your help!

Mhairi
Dave wrote on Feb 25th, 2011 at 1:04pm:

Hook Norton Surgery
Bourne End Surgery
The Bourne
Hook Norton
OX15 5PB

I have just tried the 01608 737302 number and it is answered as the doctors surgery. If you still need to contact them it may be worth trying them again and it only rang 5 times.

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

pipsonic

wakefield
Reply #411 - Apr 29th, 2011 at 3:51pm

the department of health told GPs to stop using 0844 numbers and any if your doctor uses them you must contact your local primary care trust and complain
the doctors that say fetch your bill is wrong because when you have free call numbers on your line they only cover 01/02/03 so if the number was right then the call would be free
thanks pip
ps in may which mag 2011

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #412 - Apr 29th, 2011 at 3:59pm

pipsonic wrote on Apr 29th, 2011 at 3:51pm:
the department of health told GPs to stop using 0844 numbers and any if your doctor uses them you must contact your local primary care trust and complain
the doctors that say fetch your bill is wrong because when you have free call numbers on your line they only cover 01/02/03 so if the number was right then the call would be free
thanks pip
ps in may which mag 2011

Hello and welcome to SAYNOTO0870.COM.

We have been discussing the recent ellapse of the deadline which forbids GPs from using premium rate phone numbers over in the Government and Public Sector section of the forum.

Perhaps you would like to continue comments over there. Perhaps you can use proper sentences as it's very difficult to understand what you're talking about.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2011 at 4:49pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #413 - Apr 29th, 2011 at 4:02pm

As we have said many, many times on this site, no provider, land line or mobile, gives you free calls.

Inclusive maybe but they are never free.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2011 at 4:02pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #414 - Apr 29th, 2011 at 4:25pm

sherbert wrote on Apr 29th, 2011 at 4:02pm:
As we have said many, many times on this site, no provider, land line or mobile, gives you free calls.

Absolutely correct

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #415 - Apr 29th, 2011 at 4:35pm

sherbert wrote on Apr 29th, 2011 at 4:02pm:

There are some contexts in which that distinction is important, and the point is fairly made - I do not disagree.

We may however be considering the cost of a call to a GP surgery on a 084, as against a 01/02/03, number for a caller who has the latter as inclusive with their selected package.

In this case it is perfectly correct to say that a call to a 01/02/03 number would be "FREE OF ANY CALL CHARGE", whereas a 084 call would not.

Access to NHS services is (or rather should be) "free at the point of need". In fact this only means that it is "FREE OF ANY CHARGE BY THE NHS SERVICE PROVIDER". You may still have to pay your bus fare or for petrol and parking for your car when visiting the hospital or surgery. Similarly, you may have to pay the rental for your telephone line and perhaps a standard call charge when contacting your GP by telephone.

What is unacceptable is to incur an additional charge, above what is "standard", to the benefit of the NHS provider. That is what happens when GPs adopt revenue sharing telephone numbers or when hospitals impose car parking charges other than what would be normal for the locality.

Please understand that I do not disagree with the general point about what is "free" in absolute terms. We must however consider specific cases with reference to what is relevant and just what it is that something is "free of". "Free ... of a call charge", "Free ... of a premium charge" etc. is not the same as "Free ... of any cost". In common use of language we do not always add the extra words, but leave them to be assumed by the context.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2011 at 4:40pm by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

Martin_rosen

London
Reply #416 - May 5th, 2011 at 3:36pm

sherbert wrote on Nov 3rd, 2009 at 4:43pm:
Martin_rosen wrote on Nov 3rd, 2009 at 4:27pm:
I am looking for a geo-number for Parkfield Medical Centre, in Potters Bar, Herts.   Every site that I have checked gives 0844 or 0870 numbers.

I thought all NHS facilities had to give out geographical numbers now.

Try this and see if this works 01707 659 923

If it does please report back and let us know

I reported back in November 2009 that it was n/u.

Out of interest I tried it again today.  It now rings, but after some time it responds with an answering machine that your call cannot be taken.  Unfortunately it does not announce who I have called.

If I was ringing the surgery I would expect an answer during the daytime.

Is there a reverse number lookup available somewhere to find out the subscriber to that number?

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #417 - May 5th, 2011 at 6:09pm

Martin, are you a Surgery User?

If so they invite you to provide feedback via their website: http://www.parkfieldmedicalcentre.co.uk/contactus/index.html

I would recommend doing so and advising them you are unable to call 0844 numbers do to their costs, and request an 01/02 number.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Martin_rosen

London
Reply #418 - May 5th, 2011 at 8:52pm

I have been in contact with them.   They say before they had the 0844 service they were complaints that people cannot get through.  They say they provide a service where patients can get their repeat prescriptions, test results etc online.    They also say that since introducing the service they have not had any complaints from patients about not getting through.   It benefits callers by telling them they are second or sixteenth in the queue.  They expect the latter to call back at another time (another call !).   They also told me that they have a long term contract with the telecom company providing the service.

When I have actually visited the surgery a couple of times, I mention to the receptionist about the number, and they say that they have to use that number themselves when they want to ring through.

I don't use the surgery for myself, but have to sometimes call them on behalf of an elderly relative.

(PS Are you my twin, we have an uncanny resemblence !)
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2011 at 8:52pm by Martin_rosen »  

IP Logged

Martin_rosen

London
Reply #419 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 11:50am

My surgery, Everglade Medical Practice, in London, NW9 are proposing to changeover to an 0844 number from the end of this month.

Their leaflet explains that the cost of 4.6pm is equivalent to a first class stamp for a 10 mintue call (irrelevant - who writes to their doctor for an appointment  !).

They also write that they will not be making a profit from these calls.   If it is break-even, then they may as well keep the old system.

The best one is that they say it is 'fully compliant with all NHS regulations'.    They obiviously haven't been made aware of the Secretary of State for the Department of Health who gave a Direction to NHS bodies in 2009, which said that these calls must be equivalent to a geographical number.   I have geographical numbers in my 'free' package, and if I extended it to 0845 calls, I would still have to pay for this number.

I am writing to the Practice Manager, and will also complain to the local press etc.

I am told by the receptionist that the old phone system will be taken out, but will try the old number after the relevant date - I expect there will be a recorded message.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 45
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge