Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Ofcom consultation: Simplifying NGNs — April 2013 (Read 157,764 times)
SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: Ofcom consultation: Simplifying NGNs — April 2013
Reply #15 - May 1st, 2013 at 7:35pm

loddon wrote on May 1st, 2013 at 4:48pm:
… there is no consumer demand for 084/7 …

I am inclined to largely agree with this statement, although I believe that it has to be tested so that those who claim that there is such demand can be put in their place.

I am concerned about the case of a (hypothetical, for now) organisation which would rather that all interactions with consumers took place on-line, rather than through a much more costly telephone call centre. It could feel that a modest charge for telephone calls would help offset its costs and provide a sufficient incentive for on-line contact. To avoid having to deal with the CRD provisions, let us say that these are one-off transactions. At present "Premium Rate Services" are defined by the level of the "Service Charge", so if this organisation wanted to charge only 5p per minute it would not be classified as offering a "Premium Rate Service".

If this were the only basis on which the organisation was prepared to offer telephone access, are we content that it should be prohibited from doing so? Many organisations already do not offer telephone access.

I will offer one other (again hypothetical) example which concerns me.

A charitable enterprise offers a helpline service whereby calls are automatically switched around using a fairly costly bit of technology. A shortage of outside funding causes it to use a 0845 number so that the line and the switching technology is paid for by callers at the cost of 2p per minute. It declares this charge and advises that callers will also incur an Access Charge from their telephone company.

Should it be stopped, or forced to charge more than 13p per minute?

Because my energies are focussed on improper use of Service Charges, I have not undertaken the research necessary to identify specific cases, however I do not believe that the ideas are wholly fanciful. One could mention other potential (and perhaps many actual) cases where a low Service Charge is not obviously improper - The Land Registry is one actual case.

I do not invite specific answers to these questions, but urge those who make sweeping statements to ensure that they have considered the whole of the issue that they are addressing, not just the obvious and frequently discussed cases, even though they are the most important. I would also urge a stricter distinction between one's personal situation and experience (no matter how relevant and valid) and the considerations that have to be made by those who set public policy.

It is very easy to highlight cases of inappropriate application of Service Charges and there is no disagreement in this forum about the fact that they should be eliminated. We can argue about whether transparency will be sufficient and whether campaigning groups are strong enough in mobilising consumer power to ensure that it does its job.

We face the argument that there are cases where a Service Charge of less than 13p per minute can be justified. We can easily show that there are many present cases where the Service Charge cannot be justified, but that does not fully address the issue. Ofcom has determined that this issue must be resolved in the real world.

Smart readers of the Ofcom consultation document should be aware that it (like most "consultation" documents at the firm proposal stage) is drafted primarily as a defence against legal challenge of the action proposed. One needs to read very deeply between the lines if hoping to determine the motivation behind the actual proposals, as against the way in which it has been deemed necessary to present them.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #16 - May 1st, 2013 at 7:38pm

loddon wrote on May 1st, 2013 at 6:30pm:
Isn't the DWP levying a charge now with its use of 0845 numbers?

Yes, and it intends to continue doing so. See this news release.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #17 - May 1st, 2013 at 10:02pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on May 1st, 2013 at 7:38pm:
loddon wrote on May 1st, 2013 at 6:30pm:
Isn't the DWP levying a charge now with its use of 0845 numbers?

Yes, and it intends to continue doing so. See this news release.

As noted above, does this mean Fair Telecoms and it's supporters will now be focussing on DWP to convince them to switch to 01/02/03 numbers instead of "ripping off" their callers with the continue use of 0845 numbers?

I for one at this present time, have had to call DWP on a few occasions from home, and am VERY glad that at this present time I get inclusive calls to 0845 numbers.

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #18 - May 1st, 2013 at 10:10pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on May 1st, 2013 at 7:35pm:

I am inclined to largely agree with this statement, although I believe that it has to be tested so that those who claim that there is such demand can be put in their place.

How would you propose to test it?   Or is that the purpose of the two hypothetical cases you posed?   

It would be interesting to see Ofcom or anyone present evidence of consumer demand for 084/7 numbers.   As I said, I have never seen any though I constantly see masses of evidence that consumers don't want 084/7 numbers; the existence of this site is just one example.

The Ofcom consultations on this subject, which commenced in 2010, have not even mentioned this issue never mind actually considered or discussed it as far as I can determine because these documents are so vast and inpenetrable.   It is staggering the way they go on about consumer demand for 084/7 numbers without once pausing to consider the real evidence and what consumers really want.   The fact is the only demand comes from the phone companies and the businesses and organisations who are their customers.   Ofcom claims to have carried out consumer research and they draw conclusions that consumers don't use 084/7 numbers as much as the industry wants them to (currently estimated to be 22 billion minutes per year) because the calls and pricing are confusing.   Certainly that is true but they seem to completely miss the main reason which is that they cost more and there is no justification for charging consumers more.
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2013 at 10:13pm by loddon »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #19 - May 1st, 2013 at 10:21pm

CJT-80 wrote on May 1st, 2013 at 10:02pm:
… does this mean Fair Telecoms and it's supporters will now be focussing on DWP to convince them to switch to 01/02/03 numbers instead of "ripping off" their callers with the continue use of 0845 numbers?

Very much so, although not exclusively. Apart from supporting, and using information obtained by, John Healey MP, including this item on Money Box (see the link above), we see the DWP as being a major target in our "Big Question" campaign. Further activities are planned; support and suggestions are welcome from fellow campaigners.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #20 - May 1st, 2013 at 10:24pm

I am concerned about the case of a (hypothetical, for now) organisation which would rather that all interactions with consumers took place on-line, rather than through a much more costly telephone call centre.

The honest stance for such an organisation would be to declare their policy on this matter openly and plainly to their potential customers or clients.   If they have a logical and fair rationale it would probably gain them, for example, competitive edge to declare that they will only communicate with customers on-line and not by phone because it reduces their costs and therefore they can offer more competitive prices.   Potential customers or clients could then decide if they wish to interact with this organisation or not.   

Of course if the organisation is in a monopolistic position, such as the DWP, then moral, social and ethical issues must be considered before designing and declaring that stance.
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2013 at 10:55pm by loddon »  
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #21 - May 1st, 2013 at 10:38pm

I will offer one other (again hypothetical) example which concerns me.

A charitable enterprise offers a helpline service whereby calls are automatically switched around using a fairly costly bit of technology. A shortage of outside funding causes it to use a 0845 number so that the line and the switching technology is paid for by callers at the cost of 2p per minute. It declares this charge and advises that callers will also incur an Access Charge from their telephone company.

Should it be stopped, or forced to charge more than 13p per minute?

As a hypothetical exercise this might have been helpful if Ofcom had posed it within one of their consultations.   We are in danger of trying to design the whole solution as a free service for Ofcom, however, my inclination would be to say that if Ofcom would decide that the Access charge could be no more than the price of a normal geographic call within that callers tariff and must be included within the tariff  package (something which I suggested previously as a possible solution) then this could be a justifiable case.
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2013 at 10:48pm by loddon »  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #22 - May 1st, 2013 at 10:45pm

loddon wrote on May 1st, 2013 at 10:10pm:
How would you propose to test it?

Initially, I believe that Ofcom should have considered the issue more closely, in the context of transparent Service Charges, before determining that use of the 0845 and 0844 ranges would be likely to continue largely unchanged once this option was in place. I do however accept that clear evidence would not have been easy to obtain.

It will be tested firstly when we see the reaction of users to the knowledge that the Service Charge has to be declared. I believe that many will be unable to justify the declared imposition of the Service Charge and will migrate to geographic rate numbers. For those who retain 084 numbers, we and they will gain a clearer impression of the consumer demand for clearly chargeable services by the reaction. In some cases this may have to be shown by active protest.

Let us please not get dragged too deep into the question of "consumer demand for 084/7 numbers", as clearly any consumer wants to pay the least they can to access any service. The issue is inexorably linked with demand for the services provided and the numbers offered to give access to those services. This is why I raised the point about services that may not be available if the provider was unable to levy a modest Service Charge.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #23 - May 1st, 2013 at 10:58pm

loddon wrote on May 1st, 2013 at 10:38pm:
We are in danger of trying to design the whole solution as a free service for Ofcom

It is true that some are proposing radical alternatives to what Ofcom has already done, for the purposes of discussion. I have only raised a case which I believe is fully covered by the Ofcom approach, as it leaves the legitimacy of the Service Charge to be determined in each particular case.

I do not see the level of the Access Charges, the rates for calling geographic numbers or any connection between them as being of any relevance to the legitimacy of a Service Charge. The whole point of the unbundled tariff is that it separates the caller's two relationships, with the Service Provider and with their own telephone company.

, however, my inclination would be to say that if Ofcom would decide that the Access charge could be no more than the price of a normal geographic call within that callers tariff and must be included within the tariff  package (something which I suggested previously as a possible solution) then this could be a justifiable case. [/quote]

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #24 - May 1st, 2013 at 11:14pm

loddon wrote on May 1st, 2013 at 10:24pm:
… Of course if the organisation is in a monopolistic position, such as the DWP, then moral, social and ethical issues must be considered before designing and declaring that stance.

You were right to detect that, although my example was hypothetical, the DWP was one of those in my mind, because it has a policy of "digital by default" which aims to minimise the amount of telephone contact.

This may explain why it refuses to take any step that could be seen to make telephone contact more attractive. The present situation is however disgracefully unacceptable, and made to appear more so by the fact that HMRC has finally succumbed to campaigning pressure.

Thinking back to my reply to the earlier question about focussed campaigning, the phrase "Telephone Tax" as a way of describing the DWP Service Charge has just come to mind. The "Telephone Tax" forces pensioners, jobseekers and claimants to go out and buy computers. You read it here first!

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #25 - May 6th, 2013 at 8:16am

idb wrote on May 5th, 2013 at 11:55pm:

This piece from the Surgery Line site states :---

"Frequently Asked Questions

Why would a practice change to 03 or even a local intelligent number?

The only way that a busy practice will EVER eliminate the engaged tone is to use an intelligent 03 or intelligent geographic number
..........."

So now we have it, at last, from the arch-villains who have made all sorts of untrue claims in the past about geo versus non-geo numbers.   They have finally admitted and confirmed what we have said for many years -- that everything that is claimed as capability on non-geographic numbers is equally available with geographic numbers -- except revenue sharing or micro-payments as Ofcom like to call them.  This proves that there is absolutely no need for non-geographic numbers at all and as we have said they have always been a RIP-OFF. We campaigners are quite happy to make an exception, however, for 03 numbers which must be charged at the same rate as geographic numbers.

One strange statement by Surgery Line "intelligent 03 number"; what do they mean by this?   When is an 03 not intelligent?  (Rhetorical of course.)   Wink Smiley

This plainly shows that this consultation and all the consultations from 2010 onwards have been a vast waste of time and money.  Ofcom didn't need to force us to go through all this pain and expenditure because we know that we never needed 084/7 numbers anyway and we don't want them now.
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2013 at 1:37pm by loddon »  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #26 - May 6th, 2013 at 11:19am

loddon wrote on May 6th, 2013 at 8:16am:
This plainly shows that this consultation and all the consultations from 2010 onwards have been a vast waste of time and money.  Ofcom didn't need to force us to go through all this pain and expenditure because we know that we never needed 084/7 numbers anyway and we don't want them now.

This comment is based on the assumption that "intelligent geographic" (and 03) numbers have always been available and that the only acceptable purpose of 084/7 numbers is to provide geographic anonymity and intelligent routing.

I have not been able to quickly find a summary of the history of intelligent geographic numbers and the extent to which they have been and are offered by telephone service providers. The way they are marketed suggests that they are far from being a universally available service. It would be good to know more, but there is no question that they must be seen, alongside 03, as a ready issue to raise with those who claim that intelligent routing DEMANDS use of 084/7 numbers.

The ability to levy a Service Charge of less than 13p per minute has been proposed by Ofcom as being a valid, required facility that should be retained. This proposal, like all others, has been open to consultation. This Service Charge may be used, in part, to offset the cost of the intelligent routing facilities, however that is not its sole purpose. It seems that the cost of these facilities is generally valued at around 2p per call minute which leaves plenty of scope for the balance of the charge to be used for other purposes.

The focus of the Ofcom proposals, in this area, has been on the transparency of the charging. In particular, users of 084/7 numbers will have to declare and justify the imposition of the Service Charge, regardless of the purpose for which it is used. A user is free to explain that it is used (perhaps in part) to offset the cost of the intelligent routing, as part of the justification. Any claim that imposition of a Service Charge is technically essential would be untrue. If it were to be claimed that the Service Charge was economically essential for the service to be provided, then that would be a different matter!

Obviously no consumer wants to pay any particular charge, that goes without saying. It is also true that very many uses of 084/087 numbers exist where the Service Charge cannot be justified. It is these which obviously receive the most attention. Ofcom believes that users should have the opportunity to attempt to justify Service Charge on 084/7 numbers and that a significant number will succeed. I personally have my doubts about whether the number that will continue using them will show Ofcom to have been correct. I cannot however offer sufficient proof to warrant the suggestion that all use of 084/7 numbers - defined as having a Service Charge of less that 13p (currently 10p including VAT at 17.5%) per minute - should simply have been prohibited without discussion.

Ofcom is required by law to "consult" on any significant changes. Comments submitted to the Mail Online are, happily, not the sole, or even primary, proper source of evidence used in the formation of public policy. It falls to those who believe that Service Charges of less than 13p per minute should not be allowed, to make and present a case to Ofcom to this effect. I do not hold that view, but I am always open to persuasion by clearly presented argument.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #27 - May 6th, 2013 at 11:59am

Further to my earlier post in this thread which quotes Surgery Line as stating ;---

"The only way that a busy practice will EVER eliminate the engaged tone is to use an intelligent 03 or intelligent geographic number ....."

We should realise that Surgery Line have not entirely reformed their tendency to mislead, be economical with the truth and over-exaggerate things till they become untrue.   As ever they say that "The only way that a busy practice will EVER ...."  which is obviously untrue because there are other ways to achieve that objective.   They hint at the option to increase the number of lines, or the practice could make use of ISDN lines.   The cost/benefit analysis of alternative approaches would need to be evaluated of course.    A practice can also change its policies to avoid peak call times by NOT refusing to allow patients to book appointments more than a day ahead thereby causing a mad panic, and peak calls, first thing in the morning; and there could be other policy moves and actions which could be taken.

Let us hope that Surgery Line will in time become more honest and truthful.
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2013 at 2:34pm by loddon »  
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #28 - May 6th, 2013 at 2:18pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on May 6th, 2013 at 11:19am:
The focus of the Ofcom proposals, in this area, has been on the transparency of the charging.

This focus on "transparency" is something I have criticised previously and said whilst "I am all in favour of transparency, it is a poor substitute for proper regulation".   This is something which Magrathea Telecom alluded to in its response to the second Ofcom consultation issued April 2012 when it stated " We believe that Ofcom has tended to emphasise the level of consumers’ awareness of price, whilst not focussing enough on the harm caused by the actual level of retail prices particularly those levied by mobile OCPs."
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/simplifying-non-geograph...

Ofcom have dismissed or underplayed the importance of this observation from a significant player in the Telecom services industry it seems because that does not support the Ofcom determination to deal with the difficulties of 084/7 by avoiding real effective regulation.    Magrathea go on to say "We still believe that the best way to protect consumers from the harm of excessive retail charging is to impose maximum retail pricing. Whilst we accept that this amounts to fairly intrusive regulation, we believe that the particular structure of NGC services does not lend itself to effective competitive pressures."   

In other words Magrathea believe that competitive pressure will not be enough to rectify the real problem with 084/7 numbers (i.e. the real excessive cost) so the problem will persist, and I say we campaigners will need to continue working hard, after these Ofcom proposals for access and service charges are introduced, in order concentrate the inevitable public dissatisfaction with the new scheme.   I do not support the Magrathea suggestion of maximum pricing because I want the surcharges to be eliminated altogether but I do believe that Magrathea are not very far away from my general line of analysis and thinking.

Interestingly, Magrathea also make some very interesting comments about Access Charges (AC) which are not a million miles away from my own views :---   
"Regarding inclusion of the AC in inclusive call packages, we believe that this should be a requirement rather than an option. As stated in our answer to question 9.1 above, we do not believe that consumers will select a fixed or mobile telephone service based on the cost of calling non-geographic numbers if there are more significant factors to consider. In relation to mobile packages in particular, it tends to be the headline inclusive minutes packages that are the main focus of consumers’ attention. So unless the AC is included in those call packages, there is still potential for consumer harm caused by insufficient competitive pressure. (Ofcom acknowledges this point in paragraph 10.163.) We believe that there should be a link between the call bundles and the ancillary calling services."

Magrathea also say :---
"Where the AC is not included in the call bundle, it should be capped to the level of the cost-based mobile termination rate plus a reasonable uplift for customer acquisition, retention and service costs."    This is not what I advocate but I much prefer it to what is proposed.
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2013 at 2:28pm by loddon »  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #29 - May 6th, 2013 at 6:08pm

loddon wrote on May 6th, 2013 at 2:18pm:
… we campaigners will need to continue working hard, after these Ofcom proposals for access and service charges are introduced, in order concentrate the inevitable public dissatisfaction with the new scheme.

This is where I find myself in fundamental disagreement with Loddon (and perhaps others).

There may be the possibility of Ofcom tweaking the situation, for example by intervening to address excessive Access Charges that may be imposed. The likelihood of it removing the scheme after it has been introduced, due to public dissatisfaction, will surely be seen as very small. If I genuinely believed that the scheme would inevitably be found to be unsatisfactory, I would be opposing it now with all possible vigour, whilst there was some prospect of doing good, rather than waiting to "concentrate dissatisfaction" to little purpose. Is this the difference between campaigning and moaning?

I see my campaigning role as being to continue to press dissatisfaction with the imposition of Service Charges (and the consequent incurring of Access Charges) in all cases where it cannot be justified. I believe that this has been effective and is likely to be so in many more cases.That is NOW and it is helped by the fact that the "unbundled tariff" represents exposure of what is happening at present.

The fair telecoms campaign seeks to do this through "The Big Question", on which more will follow very shortly.

Ofcom acknowledges the Magrathea proposal regarding mandatory inclusion of Access Charges (at 9.42) and concludes its remarks on this point (at the foot of 9.43) by stating

Quote:
we may reconsider this position and revisit whether a requirement to include the AC within bundles is justified

see http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/simplifying-non-geo-no/s....

Discussion of the related issue of a cap on the Access Charge follows, beginning at 9.47. Again Ofcom remains open to the possible need for intervention, based on what develops.

Given the amount of attention which Ofcom shows in responding to an extensive, contradictory and sometimes bizarre series of proposals from Magrathea in section B and the annexes to Section B, I cannot agree that its approach may be fairly characterised as dismissive.

The suggestion that Ofcom is actually determined to avoid "real effective regulation" implies that we are indeed wasting our time by discussing these matters. This may have been hyperbole, however there may be some confusion about the powers and duties held by the body, as against how it chooses to use them. For example, Ofcom cannot direct the DWP not to impose a Service Charge on callers.

It could perhaps aim to achieve this effect by, as proposed, imposing a minimum Service Charge of greater than 10p per minute. As the regulator of a market, rather than the director of a state controlled sector, Ofcom has a duty to allow "market mechanisms" to function unless it can clearly demonstrate failure.

It is perhaps not strictly true to describe public demand for claimants to be relieved of the need to pay a charge when enquiring about their benefits, being set against pressures to minimise DWP spending, as a "market mechanism". Ofcom must however leave this to be decided by resolution of these competing positions. Until one points out that the genuinely disabled, genuine job-seekers, those in need of Child Support and all pensioners fall within the affected group, the balance of public demand could be open to question!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge