Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Ofcom consultation: Simplifying NGNs — April 2013 (Read 158,232 times)
SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: Ofcom consultation: Simplifying NGNs — April 2013
Reply #45 - May 18th, 2013 at 3:23pm

loddon wrote on May 18th, 2013 at 11:29am:
Has anyone else noticed that Ofcom have estimated the Access Charge to be 16ppm??? Shocked

It is referred to by the THA (Telephone Helplines Association) where Ofcom quote the THA who were in turn quoting Ofcom's previous consultation in para A19.58

Anyone who is genuinely interested to understand the point being made by THA needs to follow the references given in the documents as follows (I include links for anyone who does wish to follow the track):

para A19.58 of the (Annex to) Section B of the current Ofcom consultation has a footnote (50) which refers to:

THA, April 2012 consultation response, pp.5 - 6, which (at the bottom of page 6) refers to:

estimates provided by Ofcom in Part B - Table 10.2, which shows the figure of 16.1 ppm as the estimated current revenue retention level value for mobile OCPs on calls to 084/087/09/118 numbers, using data from the 2010 Flow of Funds study.

If anybody would like to argue that this represents a current Ofcom projection for what any particular (or averaged) Access Charge will be in 2015, then I would be interested in giving serious attention to the point being made.

It doesn't seem that Ofcom expect the new regime to result in an improvement in call costs for consumers as a result of all this consultation.   Huh Roll Eyes Sad

The problem with the size of these consultation documents is that it is very easy to dip in and pull out some figure to use for any purpose that one wishes.

… I guess he meant "access charge plus set-up fee" when he used the new term "Network Charge".

Because Ofcom has determined that …
Quote:
the AC can be charged at a ppm rate only
(Bullet #3, section 5.3 of Part A)

… there will be no "set-up fee" on calls to Unbundled Tariff numbers.

I suspect that the term "Network Charge" was intended as a synonym for "Access Charge" (the formal term) which could be more readily understood by viewers of "Your Money". With text messages it is common to use the term "network rate" to refer to the equivalent of the Access Charge. It may be that "Network Charge" will appear more commonly in normal usage than "Access Charge". Alternatively we may be making too much of this. "Access Charge" is the formal term; "Your Money" is notable for its informality.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #46 - May 18th, 2013 at 3:46pm

loddon wrote on May 18th, 2013 at 1:51pm:
Quote:
… The access charge is a fixed fee that will go to the telephone company. The service charge, quoted in pence per minute, goes to the company being called."

The point that should have been made is that the rate of Access Charge is fixed for each caller, whereas the Service Charge will vary according to the company being called. This got mixed up by implying that the Access Charge was a fixed fee, rather than a fixed rate.

The number of errors in the on-line article and the filmed package is about normal for this type of item in any news medium.

There are many good points being made by contributors to the online discussion. Opponents of our membership of the EU will be disappointed to see extensive support for the provisions of the EU Consumer Rights Directive.

Perhaps the topic of the legitimacy of telephone call charges being linked to the duration of the call requires a thread of its own. This is an interesting topic, which demands proper consideration.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #47 - May 18th, 2013 at 5:31pm

loddon wrote on May 18th, 2013 at 1:51pm:
...This is another example of Ofcom's erroneous (rip-off) thinking because there is no justification for the AC being ppm.   The service being provided by the originating phone company (OCP) is to put the call through; once that is done there is nothing more for the OCP to do so why should they continue to rake in a charge on every minute of the call??...
The SP would still charge the OCP a ppm for the length of the call and so this is why OCP charge a ppm rather than a one-off charge.

SilentCallsVictim wrote on May 18th, 2013 at 3:23pm:
Both "set-up fees" and "minimum call charge" accomplish the same thing in my eyes.  They allow the OCP extra revenue for the connection of the call regardless of length.

If Ofcom have said there will be no "set-up fees" does this include "minimum call charge" as well?

Has Ofcom proposed a maximum "access charge" but are hoping that OCPs compete with each other and so undercut each other?
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2013 at 5:38pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #48 - May 18th, 2013 at 7:23pm

bbb_uk wrote on May 18th, 2013 at 5:31pm:
The SP would still charge the OCP a ppm for the length of the call and so this is why OCP charge a ppm rather than a one-off charge.

Surely this is more related to the fact that (apart from "unlimited" packages and certain special call types) OCPs invariably charge according to the duration of the call, e.g. for non-inclusive calls to geographic numbers from landlines, and to both mobiles and landlines from mobiles. The suggestion that OCPs should ONLY charge a call set-up fee is an exciting and radical idea that warrants serious discussion. This is also an argument for fixed fee Service Charges.

There is also a strong argument for this from those who believe that they should not be paying for being connected whilst they are waiting to speak with someone or navigating a menu system.

My belief is that because we are very much moving to the situation where we pay a flat fee for all our calls (either through unlimited packages or packages that more than cover our needs) has already dented the idea of the ticking meter being a feature of telephone conversations.

Both "set-up fees" and "minimum call charge" accomplish the same thing in my eyes.  They allow the OCP extra revenue for the connection of the call regardless of length.

I cannot see how a minimum duration (for charging purposes) affects the revenue from a call of greater than the minimum duration.

If Ofcom have said there will be no "set-up fees" does this include "minimum call charge" as well?

Has Ofcom proposed a maximum "access charge" but are hoping that OCPs compete with each other and so undercut each other?

The following slightly larger extract from my comment includes a link to the relevant section of the summary of the Ofcom plan. This includes answers to the further questions.

Quote:
the AC can be charged at a ppm rate only
(Bullet #3, section 5.3 of Part A)

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #49 - May 18th, 2013 at 8:00pm

Perhaps it is worth repeating some general points made earlier.

The Ofcom plan is based on the assumption that if Service Providers have to declare Service Charges and OCPs declare Access Charges, then only those which can be justified for callers will remain, and this will be at a level that is (in some general sense) acceptable.

I fully recognise the argument that consumer power cannot be guaranteed to work, but I do not accept that it is so weak that Ofcom has to make decisions about what is acceptable on behalf of consumers. As I have said previously, I would not trust Ofcom to get the decisions right anyway! (I suspect that Ofcom shares my view.) I am not warmed by the idea of Citizens Advice Bureaux perhaps being able to say that their Service Charge (be it on 0844 or 0944 numbers) was approved by Ofcom. I would rather engage in argument over this with them, believing that it was none of Ofcom's business to decide such matters. (Citizens Advice is strongly opposed to the "unbundled tariff".)

The Ofcom plan covers all cases where Service Charges are imposed, including Premium Rate Services and Directory Enquiry services. Most comments are focussed only on those cases where a Service Charge is obviously unacceptable or will be prohibited by the provisions of the Consumer Rights Directive. Strongly expressed feelings of this sort are actually supportive of the Ofcom approach, because they indicate that unwarranted Service Charges will not be accepted.

By treating 084 numbers in exactly the same way as the PRS ranges, the unbundled tariff finally (and belatedly) exposes them for what they are, thereby clearing placing the responsibility for that element of the call cost on the Service Provider. It also brings far greater clarity to the commonly misleading call cost information required with PRS, thereby leaving them (notably the improper use of 087x numbers) more open to direct challenge.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #50 - May 18th, 2013 at 9:04pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on May 18th, 2013 at 7:23pm:

I cannot see how a minimum duration (for charging purposes) affects the revenue from a call of greater than the minimum duration.
I didn't realise Ofcom had stated that a maximum of 1 minute minimum call charge would apply.  I thought that OCP's would try and use expensive minimum call charge to get around the no 'set-up fee'.  So an accidental call lasting a second or two will only cost same as 1 minute whereas without the maximum limit of 1 min, there would have been nothing stopping OCPs from stating a minimum call charge of 20p even though ppm may be 10ppm.

My main concern is that companies may get away with saying that "calls cost 2ppm plus network extras" when under current system it states calls cost 5ppm from BT landline, other networks may charge more"

I agree that under current system calls can vary for every sub-division of 084 which can cause even more confusion so under the new system so long as AC is same for every 084 which it is then that would improve clarity.

But all this still is based on consumers being aware of the AC in the beginning which is assuming OCPs use same AC regardless of tariff (which they don't have to) and they are as open with the AC charge as they are their geographical call costs.  The latter, I suspect (going by previous history) we may find that OCPs try to hide as much as possible their AC charge.
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2013 at 9:19pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #51 - May 19th, 2013 at 7:37am

bbb_uk wrote on May 18th, 2013 at 9:04pm:
My main concern is that companies may get away with saying that "calls cost 2ppm plus network extras" when under current system it states calls cost 5ppm from BT landline, other networks may charge more"

… and they [OCPs] are as open with the AC charge as they are their geographical call costs.  The latter, I suspect (going by previous history) we may find that OCPs try to hide as much as possible their AC charge.

Regardless of the extent of the work done by Ofcom and the enforcement agencies (e.g. ASA, OFT, Trading Standards), there will continue to be a role for consumer pressure groups and campaigners to ensure that any improprieties are recognised and understood.

The clarity provided by the unbundled tariff will make this much easier than it is under the present regime, because the respective responsibilities for the components of the charge will be identified beyond dispute.

bbb_uk wrote on May 18th, 2013 at 9:04pm:
I agree that under current system calls can vary for every sub-division of 084 which can cause even more confusion so under the new system so long as AC is same for every 084 which it is then that would improve clarity.

But all this still is based on consumers being aware of the AC in the beginning which is assuming OCPs use same AC regardless of tariff (which they don't have to)

There may be some confusion about the term "tariff".

There will be only one Access Charge for each consumer tariff, covering calls to all 084, 087, 09 and 118 numbers, even though each sub range will have a different level of Service Charge.

Each OCP will be able to offer different Access Charges for its different packages. Based on the way in which call charges are currently set, it is not unreasonable to expect that the only difference will be in respect of inclusion (free of charge) rather than the actual rate charged.

We have no clear idea about how OCPs will set a single level of Access Charge to replace the present system, whereby they vary enormously, and BT is prohibited from applying an Access Charge. We do however know that Service Charge levels will remain essentially as they are at present (notwithstanding some tweaking).

The fair telecoms campaign is seeking to focus attention on those who levy a Service Charge inappropriately, using the clarity now offered by Ofcom, rather than criticising Ofcom for failing to perhaps attempt to distinguish between proper and improper cases. That is not say that we agree with everything Ofcom has done, but we see the improper imposition of Service Charges as being the main issue of popular concern.

« Last Edit: May 19th, 2013 at 7:41am by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #52 - May 19th, 2013 at 8:44am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on May 19th, 2013 at 7:37am:
Regardless of the extent of the work done by Ofcom and the enforcement agencies (e.g. ASA, OFT, Trading Standards), there will continue to be a role for consumer pressure groups and campaigners to ensure that any improprieties are recognised and understood.
All that is needed is that Ofcom actually actively enforce what they say instead of basically letting them get away with it.

There is a requirement even now (GC 14.2) that is meant to give similar prominence to 08x/087x as there is geographical and this GC has been in operation since August 2006.  For ages after I kept letting Ofcom know but only once did Ofcom raise an "own-initiative".  In the end I stopped bothering letting Ofcom know because it was clear that Ofcom is more on the side of teleco's than consumers due to their lack of bothering to do anything.

To this date, I wonder how many OCPs actually fully comply with this GC?

Essentially, all I see happening is price of NTS calls increasing once BT introduce their AC and all other OCPs will basically just copy like they do now.

I still anticipate that for many consumers they will not be aware of how much a call actually costs ppm because companies will be able to display lower SC ppm rather than an overall guide and I believe OCPs will go out of their way to avoid the AC being easily found/known.

The simple answer to this is make 0844/0871 classed as a PRS and subject to full PRS regulations as essentially these calls are used to gain money from the call for the company called in someway or another.

Most companies wont use 09x range due to the fact that callers know they are premium rate so instead use stealth premium rate 0844/0871 numbers instead.
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2013 at 8:46am by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #53 - May 19th, 2013 at 10:04am

bbb_uk wrote on May 19th, 2013 at 8:44am:
All that is needed is that Ofcom actually actively enforce what they say instead of basically letting them get away with it.

…

To this date, I wonder how many OCPs actually fully comply with this GC?

The current failure to enforce the various relevant GC's is wholly unacceptable. By taking radical and substantial action, Ofcom is drawing much more attention to its future enforcement activity and it must not be permitted to get away with further weakness in this respect. That is critical to its success with a brave project that puts its reputation on the line.

Enforcement of the requirements newly imposed on those who will continue to use 084 / 087 numbers, was not seen to be realistic under the self-regulatory regime which applies to PRS (i.e. PhonePay Plus). There is a strong argument for reversing the mistake of adding the 087 range, but this would be seen as sending an unsuitable message.

It is perfectly correct to apply the same cost declaration requirements to 084 / 087 / 09 and 118 numbers, however the strongly seen difference in usage demands that suitably refined and distinct further regulatory measures be applied. I believe that such measures are rightly beyond the scope of Ofcom's responsibilities, including those devolved to Phonepay Plus.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #54 - May 19th, 2013 at 6:33pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on May 19th, 2013 at 10:04am:
The current failure to enforce the various relevant GC's is wholly unacceptable. By taking radical and substantial action, Ofcom is drawing much more attention to its future enforcement activity and it must not be permitted to get away with further weakness in this respect...
Wish I could believe that Ofcom wont continue to be weak, but going by past history, I can't help but think this whole re-organisation is going to cause more confusion due to lack of action by Ofcom to enforce its own GC, etc.

IMHO, Ofcom seem to side moreso with the industry than general consumers.
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2013 at 6:43pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #55 - May 20th, 2013 at 8:12am

bbb_uk wrote on May 19th, 2013 at 6:33pm:
IMHO, Ofcom seem to side moreso with the industry than general consumers.

The nature of Ofcom's role is to regulate the behaviour of providers in a supposedly competitive market by measures that are reasonable in the eyes of the law. It can only deliver benefits to consumers in that market through the way in which those providers behave. It is thereby inevitable that it will appear to be far more concerned about the industry than consumers, because that is where its attention has to be focussed.

IMHO, Ofcom is too concerned about the risk of being found to be unreasonable in its actions and is therefore far too weak in its enforcement activity. It also has a policy of only taking action in big headline-grabbing cases which means that it will not commit resources to relatively minor, but nonetheless significant, cases. It claims that lesser matters are dealt with by private informal action, which it cannot detail, because this has to remain confidential.

For the record, I can state that I am deeply unhappy with this approach, however I cannot see any prospect of it changing significantly whilst Ofcom's role as a regulator remains as it is. Ofcom's use of the persistent misuse powers (in relation to Nuisance Calls) has nothing to do with its role as regulator, although Ofcom behaves as though it does. That is why I am seen to be strongly opposed to Ofcom on a fundamental point of principle in that respect.

The present level of public confusion is enormous and is not helped by the BBC reporting on measures being taken, and then concluding that this will do nothing to help. Hear the comment at the end of the error-filled piece in the middle of this programme. (If anyone knows how to set start points for BBC embedded player items, then please advise by PM).

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #56 - May 20th, 2013 at 8:50pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on May 20th, 2013 at 8:12am:
The nature of Ofcom's role is to regulate the behaviour of providers in a supposedly competitive market by measures that are reasonable in the eyes of the law...

[quote]...Ofcom is too concerned about the risk of being found to be unreasonable in its actions and is therefore far too weak in its enforcement activity...
Couldn't agree anymore.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #57 - May 20th, 2013 at 8:51pm

The nature of Ofcom's role is to regulate the behaviour of providers in a supposedly competitive market by measures that are reasonable in the eyes of the law...
Quote:
...Ofcom is too concerned about the risk of being found to be unreasonable in its actions and is therefore far too weak in its enforcement activity...
Couldn't agree anymore.
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2013 at 8:52pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #58 - May 20th, 2013 at 11:59pm

It is thereby inevitable that it will appear to be far more concerned about the industry than consumers, because that is where its attention has to be focussed.

It doesn't just appear to be more concerned about the industry than consumers; surely any objective assessment would conclude that it has failed to safeguard the interests of consumers over many years and has stood by and allowed consumers to be exploited and in some cases seriously harmed (in a financial sense).   Is that not contrary to the Ofcom purpose and reason for its existence?   Should it not be doing more for consumers and be seen to be doing it?   Is there not some mechanism to watch over Ofcom and evaluate its effectiveness compared to its charter?   I suppose the Parliamentary Select Committee is supposed to do that job, but it seems hopelessly incapable judging by past performances, spending little more than an hour once per year weakly and timidly questioning Ofcom officers.

Comments on the recent BBC story included several with very specific criticism of Ofcom :---

"207.  tellitasitis
18th May 2013 - 16:21
Hang on, lets not expect OFCOM to actually do something meaningful. We must remember that the one thing OFCOM does not want to do, is adversely affect the scandalous profits of the telecommunication industry. This may result in the telecommunication industry not supporting OFCOM and that they would actually have to look after the consumer and deliver something in the consumers interest."

"216.  adam
18th May 2013 - 17:16
OFCOM always do too little too late.The numbers and charges fiasco should have been implemented at least ten years ago
"

"236.  cyclotrimethylenetrinitramine
18th May 2013 - 18:46
OfCom? Should that not read OfCon?
IMHO, a complete waste of the tax-payers money - a bit like the FSA and many other 'supervising'/'standards' agencies set up to provide high-earning opportunities for the incompetent and/or pocket-lining pals of Government."

"255.  John Campbell
18th May 2013 - 20:39
Ofcom have got this wrong.
There is no public confusion
The public know when they are being ripped off.
Bit late for them to realise that
An OfGov with sharp teeth and claws would be good!
(thanks wonkypops)
"

Some are suggesting that another body should have oversight of Ofcom's performance and have the teeth to hold Ofcom to account, because this is not currently seen to be happening, and Ofcom has shown itself to be incapable.

« Last Edit: May 21st, 2013 at 7:31am by loddon »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #59 - May 21st, 2013 at 1:04am

loddon wrote on May 20th, 2013 at 11:59pm:
It is thereby inevitable that it will appear to be far more concerned about the industry than consumers, because that is where its attention has to be focussed.

It doesn't just appear to be more concerned about the industry than consumers; surely any objective assessment would conclude that it has failed to safeguard the interests of consumers over many years and has stood by and allowed consumers to be exploited and in some cases seriously harmed (in a financial sense).   Is that not contrary to the Ofcom purpose and reason for its existence?   Should it not be doing more for consumers and be seen to be doing it?   Is there not some mechanism to watch over Ofcom and evaluate its effectiveness compared to its charter?   I suppose the Parliamentary Select Committee is supposed to do that job, but it seems hopelessly incapable judging by past performances, spending little more than an hour once per year weakly and timidly questioning Ofcom officers.

I think most of us agree that the measures being brought forward now are long overdue.

I am personally furious that the Select Committees have not been stronger in holding Ofcom to account.

We will see whether DCMS proposes any significant changes when the Communications White Paper is published, but the Bill will not be following in this session. There will therefore be plenty of opportunity for those who advocate a re-structuring of Ofcom to present their proposals.

Perhaps we need another thread to discuss these issues.

I also sense a call for the re-nationalisation of the industry, so that the state may be fully accountable for its effects on consumers. Privatisation with "Of"s has not been seen to be a glittering success in general, and the oft-suggested "OfOf" solution, with the inevitable "OfOfOf" to follow etc. is surely not the answer. "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (the motto of the former OfcomWatch blog) would be an excellent title for another thread.

As stated above, I am unhappy at Ofcom's timidity in enforcing compliance and question the extent to which the market is competitive. These realities limit what may be achieved, along with many others, but I do not accept that they make the cause hopeless. I disagree with the quoted suggestion that consumers are not confused, however I believe that the BBC is being unhelpful in simply reporting and sustaining that confusion, rather than attempting to diminish it a little.

I can understand the position of those who have given up on Ofcom and wish to dismiss its measures because they come from Ofcom, or who believe that it has improper motives. I do not however share that view, and if I did, I would not waste my valuable time and energy by engaging in this discussion.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge