Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Ofcom consultation: Simplifying NGNs — April 2013 (Read 157,995 times)
loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Re: Ofcom consultation: Simplifying NGNs — April 2013
Reply #60 - May 21st, 2013 at 7:43am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on May 21st, 2013 at 1:04am:

I am personally furious that the Select Committees have not been stronger in holding Ofcom to account.

I think we are of like mind, SCV.    Perhaps this might be a good objective for the Fair Telecoms Campaign to consider --- to bring this issue specifically to the attention of the Select Committee, now, as that would give them time to think deeply about the problems and to prepare for their next annual meeting with Ofcom which I think is in September?   I am now thinking about writing to my MP on this specific topic asking him to raise the issue with the Chairman of the Committee, and maybe others should consider doing the same?

By the way, I suspect that several readers may be wondering what is the DCMS, should we enlighten them?
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2013 at 8:36am by loddon »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #61 - May 21st, 2013 at 8:26am

I also sense a call for the re-nationalisation of the industry, so that the state may be fully accountable for its effects on consumers. Privatisation with "Of"s has not been seen to be a glittering success in general, and the oft-suggested "OfOf" solution, with the inevitable "OfOfOf" to follow etc. is surely not the answer. "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (the motto of the former OfcomWatch blog) would be an excellent title for another thread.

Are you suggesting that I am calling for renationalisation, or do you see this in some of the responses to the BBC article?   I think setting up an "OfOf" would be easier and less costly than renationalisation of whole industries.
Perhaps you would be a good candidate for your suggestion of an answer to "who guards the guards?"

As stated above, I am unhappy at Ofcom's timidity in enforcing compliance and question the extent to which the market is competitive. These realities limit what may be achieved, along with many others, but I do not accept that they make the cause hopeless. I disagree with the quoted suggestion that consumers are not confused, however I believe that the BBC is being unhelpful in simply reporting and sustaining that confusion, rather than attempting to diminish it a little.

Agreed, there is a severe lack of competitiveness in the 084/087 market and I have been saying why for a long time.   I don't see such limitations as you seem to and would hold out hope for someone in Ofcom to really start thinking deeply and making decisions.

I believe that the response containing reference to confusion was in the context of "The public know when they are being ripped off."   Therefore   "There is no public confusion" about that.

I can understand the position of those who have given up on Ofcom and wish to dismiss its measures because they come from Ofcom, or who believe that it has improper motives. I do not however share that view, and if I did, I would not waste my valuable time and energy by engaging in this discussion.

I don't know if you are suggesting I have given up on Ofcom, but I would say not quite.   This little last minute marketing exercise by Ofcom may indicate that there may be a slim chance that they will redeem themselves.   Certainly this has been a salutary exercise for Ofcom to see the virulent and aggressive responses to the proposals from the public.   It all endorses what I have been saying, that these proposals are ill-founded having no ethical basis, responding to a mistaken analysis of the problem and trying to conjure up a fictitious demand which does not exist.   All the demand for 084 and 087 numbers comes from the organisations who benefit and NOT from the public .   The public, the consumers, want genuine simplicity, not faux, and to see real competition.   I and others have previously suggested how this may be achieved.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #62 - May 21st, 2013 at 11:39am

I attended my local Neighbourhood Action Group (NAG) last night and the Chairman asked me to give an update on the telephone numbers scene.   I took the opportunity to refer to the recent BBC report on the Ofcom proposals, which some said they had seen   The BBC headline states "Phone cost confusion putting off callers, Ofcom says" which I think fairly Summarises the Ofcom conclusion that confusion is putting off callers from dialling 084 and 087 numbers.   I offered my opinion that Ofcom had mistakenly analysed the problem and that the real problem was the cost of calling these numbers being imposed on callers whereas the cost should be for the organisations who want them and benefit from them.  Confusion and lack of transparency added to the problem but are not the root cause.   There is no demand for these numbers from the public and many would be happy to see them disappear.  There was unanimous agreement for that view.

Referring to readers comments on the BBC report we see:---

"225.  Brian McNaughton
18th May 2013 - 17:58
About time. All these technical advances seem to involve a degree of ripping off the public. Amazing that ofcom did not spot this at the begining or are they a branch of the organisations being called
?"

"224.  revolutionnow999
18th May 2013 - 17:53
Phone companies, energy companies and banks. They are private organisations who confuse their customers about their charges, so they can get more money out of them. It is the accepted practice for their salesmen. And it is not surprising that private companies push at the boundaries of legality to make more profit when regulators have a proven tracker record of being powerless."

"213.  David Holder
18th May 2013 - 16:37
My phone package includes calls of up to 1 hour to 01, 02 & 03 Numbers. If you want to get rid of anything then get rid of 0845 which so many businesses use and customers then have to pay extra to call
."

"209.   mog499
18th May 2013 - 16:24
I recently looked up a number on the internet for a company. when I dialled the number it was a mega premium rate it took all the credit from my phone. It warned me I was being charged a high rate but emptied my phone before I cut off the call. Rip off Britain they are all at it
."

"196.  Andy
18th May 2013 - 15:32
I have had a gripe with Silverstone Circuit who use a 0844 number. After numerous unanswered calls listening to a prerecorded message for over a total of 2 hours I found I'd been charged nearly £8 for not getting through.
I have been compensated but these prerecords should tell the caller that they are being charged while waiting
"

"193.  Ian
18th May 2013 - 15:14
No one should have to pay to speak to a business particularly one that they are having problems with. I strongly object to paying credit card companies if I have a problem. 0844 and 0871 numbers should be banned they are used just to make more money out of their customers. I don't place orders with companies the only use 0844 and 0871 numbers, they don't get my business."

"181.  widgeon
18th May 2013 - 14:50
I have never understood why a company would use a non-geographic number unless they have something to hide. I used to work for a charity that ran loads of 0870 numbers. When I questioned it the managers over-ruled me. They were trying to give the impression that "helplines" were call centres when in fact they were staff by one person
"

These comments reflect a general dissatisfaction that will not be satisfied by greater transparency alone.   The fundamental problem is that people recognise they are being charged unfairly, the organisations they are calling should pay for the facilities and benefits attributed to these numbers.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #63 - May 21st, 2013 at 12:04pm

Readers will notice that one person who commented liberally on the other comments on the BBC report called himself FoneDave, and I suspect that many might think that FoneDave spends quite a lot of his time not far away from this Forum.   I would say, what a good job was done and how well and calmly he answered and explained many of the questions and misconceptions raised within the other comments.   Well done FoneDave. Smiley

It leads one to wonder whether Ofcom bothered to read the comments and on seeing so many misunderstandings on display why Ofcom did not take the trouble to provide some answers and explain in simple terms what they are proposing and the implications and results that they are expecting.   Instead they seemed to just leave it to an unpaid person of goodwill to do their job for them instead of taking advantage of a golden opportunity.   It make s one think Ofcom doesn't really want to support and explain/clarify their own proposals.

An example of one of FoneDave's responses :---
"249.  FoneDave
18th May 2013 - 19:48
Re: 99 "All companies using 08*** numbers should have to provide an alternative 01/02/03 number as these are included in call bundles from both landline and mobile." -- Even better, most companies are going to be FORCED to move from 084 and 087 numbers to 01, 02 and 03 numbers by the Bill on Consumer Rights. This EU directive has to be passed into UK law by the end of 2013
."

It is indeed fortuitous that the Consumer Rights Directive is arriving at this time and I welcome the CRD and believe that it will help quite a lot with the problems on 084 and 087 numbers, and will of course prevent some organisations from considering a move to 09 numbers.    However, I think CRD will only be a partial solution to the problem.   It would be even better if Ofcom would design a full solution.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #64 - May 21st, 2013 at 1:22pm

loddon wrote on May 21st, 2013 at 8:26am:

As stated above, I believe that much of what we are addressing is beyond the proper scope of this thread. Some points could be worthy of discussion in their own right, in particular the reconfiguration of Ofcom and its powers, which some believe would be required for these measures to be turned into something effective.

I will address points of direct relevance.

In the absence of clarity offered by the "unbundled" tariff, I do not believe that the public in general know when they are being ripped off - and in particular, by whom. The true significance of the content and balance of comments posted to the web in response to a news article may be readily exaggerated. This is a common failing by the media itself, although one that campaigners are ready to exploit.

As stated previously, I believe that the genuine demand to be able to apply Service Charges of less than 13p per minute is very much less than Ofcom is assuming. At this stage however, I cannot offer the evidence necessary to show that a greater minimum Service Charge level must be set. ALL improper imposition of Service Charges has to be an issue between those who impose them and those they serve.

I do not believe that the question of whether a Service Charge is used to offset the costs of network facilities, locally deployed systems or the staff attending calls, to provide other financial benefits to the Service Provider or simply to make money is a fundamental issue. It makes no difference to the caller, although such points can be used in an attempt to justify a Service Charge. I can see no point whatsoever in focussing only on the first of these.

Markham Sivak's brief appearance on "Your Money" was not a "last minute marketing exercise"; in that sense it was preliminary. I understand that the major Ofcom marketing exercise will begin once the statutory hurdle of the consultation has been passed, so that what are currently technically only "proposals" can truly be presented as fact.

It is accepted in the Ofcom consultations that there is little, if any, direct competition over Service Charges of less than 13p per minute and that the level of Access Charge will not be a major factor in selecting a call service provider. Providers in competitive markets can however be sensitive to all manner of relatively insignificant issues that may affect public perception of them and their products and services. That same sensitivity also exists when there is no competition at all. It is for consumer groups and campaigners to exploit that sensitivity - may I offer the recent announcement by Daisy Group as a case in point. In terms of competition, I cannot see what could be clearer than the parties levying charges each being compelled to declare it (rather than two separate charges being bundled together). In this respect, I do not understand what is the "real competition" that "the public - consumers" want.

I know that many people get hung up on the issue of "choice". I cannot however see the merit of those who provide access on an expensive number with a Service Charge also providing access on a number without a Service Charge. Obviously the former would have to offer some priority, or a higher quality of service once connected. If there is a demand, presumably from the wealthy, to have better access than others, then a Service Charge could be used for this purpose. I cannot however think of many cases where this would be appropriate, indeed it will be prohibited in cases subject to the provisions of the CRD. (If "FoneDave" is a member of this forum, perhaps he would like to respond to this criticism of his proposal.)

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #65 - May 22nd, 2013 at 9:01am

In one of his responses to the BBC report FoneDave said :---

"200.  FoneDave  18th May 2013 - 15:46
"0844 and 0871 numbers should be banned." -- Rather than ban these numbers outright (and thereby close down legitimate users such as dial-in conferencing systems, dial-up internet and pre-recorded information lines) Ofcom will require users to declare the Service Charge. In 2014, the Bill on Consumer Rights will force customer services, etc, off 084/087 numbers and over to 01, 02 and 03 numbers
"

Such services would not necessarily close down because 03talk.com have offered services on 03 numbers for years and seem to be thriving.
http://www.03talk.com/
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2013 at 9:42am by loddon »  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #66 - May 22nd, 2013 at 9:59am

loddon wrote on May 22nd, 2013 at 9:01am:
Such services would not necessarily close down because 03talk.com have offered such services on 03 numbers for years and seem to be thriving.
http://www.03talk.com/

03talk proudly claims that its service is unique, but fails to explain how it can be provided without any visible means of income. If something looks too good to be true, perhaps one should question how this may be, before suggesting that something identified as being unique offers a model that could readily be followed by others.

(In this case, the truth actually lies in a rather quirky feature of the way in which the fractional elements of termination charges are paid and the readiness of some businesses to operate on tiny margins with low overheads in the hope of capturing a sufficient share of the market for the business to be sustainable.)

I do not hold with idea that some Service Charges are "legitimate" and all others are not, although introduction of the provisions of the Consumer Rights Directive will render some illegitimate. I argue that every Service Charge has to be justified to those who may pay it, in terms of its very existence and the level at which it is imposed.

This can only be done if it is seen in isolation from the consequential, but highly variable, Access Charge. The level of Access Charge in turn must also be justified by those who impose it, and the inevitability of the Access Charge is a further consideration that must be covered in the justification of the Service Charge.

Most of the particular cases that generate public concern are clearly unjustified and unjustifiable. The sooner that attention can be drawn to them (in the light of the forthcoming requirement for the Service Charge to be declared), the sooner the issues can be resolved.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #67 - May 22nd, 2013 at 11:32am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on May 22nd, 2013 at 9:59am:
Most of the particular cases that generate public concern are clearly unjustified and unjustifiable. The sooner that attention can be drawn to them (in the light of the forthcoming requirement for the Service Charge to be declared), the sooner the issues can be resolved.

I agree, most are unjustifiable and most generate public concern, there is plenty of evidence of that.  You seem to be supporting my argument in post #30 where I said :---

"I am not decrying your campaigning efforts in general SCV but I do feel that your backing for Ofcom in these proposals is unfortunate because the ultimate goal of elimination of “Service Charges (and the consequent incurring of Access Charges) in all cases where it cannot be justified” will depend on consumer pressure and campaigners efforts rather than regulation ...."

Even the phone industry understands that it is really perpetrating a scam.   For example Windsor Telecom say :---

"033 Phone Numbers from Windsor Telecom
We like to think of 0330 numbers and 0333 numbers as being 'fair for all', meeting the ever-growing public demand for a recognisable phone number range which is cheap to call from a both a landline and mobile. Calls to both 0330 numbers and 0333 numbers cost the same as a normal landline number (even from a mobile), or are completely free if the caller has free minutes. This is why a lot of savvy businesses are turning to 03 numbers and you might have even noticed some of the companies that use 03 numbers: BBC, EBay, Lloyds TSB, Transport for London and countless SME's.
Published on 11 Oct 2012 "  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwcgMRCxGBo

Windsor Telecom market and sell all ranges of numbers including 01/02, 03, 080, 8845 and 0844 but Windsor see 03 as "fair for all" strongly implying that 084/5 are unfair.   There are small chinks of light through the wall of obfuscation put up by the phone services industry which let us know that the industry really does know that 084/7 numbers are rip-offs whereas 03 numbers are "fair for all".   

My point is that Ofcom are not prepared to regulate but are depending on the CRD and campaigners like us to battle to achieve some sort of fairness.   This is a cop out by Ofcom, although I accept that Ofcom are going to eventually, after another year and a half, provide a slightly more level playing field.   This is not playing fair by the consumers, it is relying on consumers complaining and campaigners battling.   As I said "This is a grossly inefficient way to stop rip-offs and scams.   Magrathea Telecom pointed out that there will be insufficient competitive pressure to effectively protect consumers from harm ....."   The efficient way to do it is by proper regulation.
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2013 at 11:34am by loddon »  
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #68 - May 22nd, 2013 at 11:38am

Did anyone see the BBC TV ONE Show yesterday in which a reporter roamed the streets asking people what would be their idea of HELL?   One lady said without hesitation  "08 numbers!!!"  Smiley Kiss

08 numbers are HELL.   The public speak the truth. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2013 at 1:39pm by loddon »  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #69 - May 22nd, 2013 at 1:04pm

loddon wrote on May 22nd, 2013 at 11:32am:
Quote:
… the ultimate goal of elimination of Service Charges (and the consequent incurring of Access Charges) in all cases where it cannot be justified will depend on consumer pressure and campaigners efforts rather than regulation

The efficient way to do it is by proper regulation.

We have had some very interesting political ideas presented in this discussion. We now read the classic defence of fascism, as an alternative to the largely liberal (and thereby inefficient) society that we currently enjoy.

loddon wrote on May 22nd, 2013 at 11:38am:
… 08 numbers are HELL.   The public speak the truth.

We have also been entertained by some classically silly ways of offering an argument in support of a particular point. (I fear that the final quoted sentence was intended to be taken seriously, but would be delighted to be corrected.)

One is tempted to get drawn into discussing “Room 101” and “1984” in general, but enough has probably been said.

These distractions are most unfortunate, because there is a very important issue, and shared objective, at the heart of this discussion - as stated in the first quotation above. I do not believe that our campaigning efforts have failed as dramatically as has been suggested, nor that they need to be undermined by applying so much attention to this alleged failure.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #70 - May 22nd, 2013 at 2:48pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on May 22nd, 2013 at 1:04pm:
We now read the classic defence of fascism, as an alternative to the largely liberal (and thereby inefficient) society that we currently enjoy.

Oh dear, when a debater resorts to desperation the argument is thereby conceded.   Even in a largely liberal society, and I wouldn't want any less, there is a need for some rules by which the game must be played in the interests of all, otherwise things can get distorted and even dangerous.  The natural forces of the market usually do their job well enough but sometimes it goes all wrong, just to mention some recent examples,

Libor Rate setting     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libor_scandal

Oil Price Rigging   http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2325217/Oil-price-fixers-face-prison-say...

PPI Mis-selling   http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2013/mar/04/ppi-facts-figures-biggest-mis-sellin...

08 numbers HELL  http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-2162169/Rip-phone-scam-big-comp...

I could go on quoting for pages.   Therefore we must strive towards a balance between liberal markets for business and sensible rules and regulation, and I think many people, a vast majority, think that Ofcom has been negligent, incapable and wholly ineffective in regulating this market.   While the current Ofcom proposals are a small step in the right direction most people say they are still inadequate.   I find I have support from other members of this Forum as well as being able to point to Windsor Telecom, Antelope Consulting, Agrathea Telecom, The Federation of Small Business in arguing for better regulation.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #71 - May 22nd, 2013 at 4:49pm

loddon wrote on May 22nd, 2013 at 2:48pm:
… most people say they are still inadequate …

Maybe the time for such an assessment is after they have been introduced.

I am not sure who is resorting to desperation or what specific point of argument is thought to perhaps have been conceded. I fully accept the common public perception that "08 numbers are hell" and believe that this can be focussed into effective pressure to achieve our common goal.

We have yet to see if the extent of the measures which Ofcom is taking will survive potential legal challenge. For this reason, the question of whether it could have gone further by, as proposed, imposing a minimum Service Charge of more than 13p per minute (or compelling mass number changes to keep things as they are, as has also been suggested) is open to some doubt. I hope we already understand that responsibility for regulating with regard to the purpose for which a Service Charge is applied generally falls outside Ofcom's remit, i.e. with BIS in the case of the CRD provisions, with the Cabinet Office or individual departments and bodies (e.g. NHS England) in the case of the public sector, with the industry self-regulator PhonePay Plus in the case of PRS and with others. Ofcom could set conditions regarding the imposition of Service Charges by those providers in the communications sector for which it has direct regulatory responsibility.

I have suggested that those who wish to discuss possible further extensions to Ofcom's powers at this time may wish to do so in another thread. We must however be concious that parliament will not be given the opportunity to debate possible legislation until the 2014/5 session. This assumes that the White Paper does emerge fairly soon and at least touches on the possibility of increased regulation (a principle that has been contrary to government policy for many years). The powers which have enabled it to be as radical as in the current measures only arrived in 2010, by virtue of a EU Directive.

I am ready to debate history, but I am far more concerned with how we move forward, using what I see as a significant positive development to our advantage. Clearly some believe that I am wrong, as I believe that Ofcom was wrong in its assessment of the true demand to use numbers that impose a Service Charge of less than 13p per minute. I am keen to persuade those who read this forum that I am right, because I am keen to engage their support for our continuing efforts, however I am not "desperate".

I want us to make a success of "The Big Question", because I believe that this will do more to advance the cause of "fair telecoms" than chewing over Ofcom's past and continuing failures. (This is distinct from my position on the issue of "Nuisance Calls", where I continue to believe that Ofcom is fundamentally wrong in its approach, which could and should be changed.) I will however be ready to concede a small measure of defeat if, as suggested, "The Big Question" attracts little or no public interest when it is launched shortly.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #72 - May 30th, 2013 at 5:42pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on May 22nd, 2013 at 4:49pm:
      I fully accept the common public perception that "08 numbers are hell" and believe that this can be focussed into effective pressure to achieve our common goal.

This seems to entirely agree with my argument; that Ofcom are not trying to deal with the problems of 084/7 numbers by proper regulation but Ofcom is intending to offer consumers a little more information about the cost of such calls and then leave it to campaigners to battle and consumers to complain in order to apply pressure over future years; because I suspect it will take years to get any significant change from the industry.   As I said before, transparency is welcome but it is a poor substitute for proper regulation.
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2013 at 6:14pm by loddon »  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #73 - May 30th, 2013 at 7:42pm

loddon wrote on May 30th, 2013 at 5:42pm:
proper regulation

I know that I am exaggerating when I comment that:

one man's ‘proper regulation’ is another's ‘fascist state’

If we want to discuss the nature and extent of Ofcom's role and powers in detail, then we should start another thread.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #74 - May 31st, 2013 at 7:56pm

It is a matter of coincidence that an example of an alternative approach to regulation has today been brought to my attention. Some may see other nations as being more inclined towards "proper regulation" than the British.

See http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/cln_1932/SharedDocs/Pressemitteilungen/EN/2013/1....

As I understand it, our telephone network cannot apply different rates for distinct portions of the duration of the call. Some may be excited about the idea of a state regulator getting involved in deciding when "a caller's business is being attended to". I make many calls where the person who answers is not in any way competent in dealing with my business, however I would not fancy having to argue my case for a refund of the call cost with a regulator.

Given that the Consumer Rights Directive will prohibit use of numbers including a Service Charge for customer contact an equivalent provision in the UK would only cover calls with a declared Service Charge, but not covered by the CRD. One suspects that another EU member was already addressing the queuing issue separately and has decided to press on, despite being required to also apply the more comprehensive regulations by the middle of 2014.

It may also be noted that the fair telecoms campaign has called for other sectoral regulators to get directly involved in placing specific regulations covering telephone usage on those whom they regulate. If there were a single state regulator covering telecoms, power utilities and public transport, then obviously this would be more easily achieved.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge