Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Ofcom consultation: Simplifying NGNs — April 2013 (Read 157,793 times)
loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Re: Ofcom consultation: Simplifying NGNs — April 2013
Reply #30 - May 12th, 2013 at 9:38am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on May 6th, 2013 at 6:08pm:
loddon wrote on May 6th, 2013 at 2:18pm:
… we campaigners will need to continue working hard, after these Ofcom proposals for access and service charges are introduced, in order concentrate the inevitable public dissatisfaction with the new scheme.

This is where I find myself in fundamental disagreement with Loddon (and perhaps others).

There may be the possibility of Ofcom tweaking the situation, for example by intervening to address excessive Access Charges that may be imposed. The likelihood of it removing the scheme after it has been introduced, due to public dissatisfaction, will surely be seen as very small. If I genuinely believed that the scheme would inevitably be found to be unsatisfactory, I would be opposing it now with all possible vigour, whilst there was some prospect of doing good, rather than waiting to "concentrate dissatisfaction" to little purpose. Is this the difference between campaigning and moaning?

This is where I find myself in disagreement with SCV.   I have been away for the last week and so have not been able to respond to post #29 until today.  The suggestions of “waiting” and “moaning” are utterly unfair and constitute gross misrepresentation.   I was campaigning long before SCV joined this Forum and have written to Ofcom, Ministers and Authorities and engaged the press over many years so these scurrilous allegations are totally rejected. 

I ask, who is going to be the judge of whether the Ofcom scheme will be satisfactory or not?    I venture to suggest it should be the citizen consumers rather than any “campaigner” or special interest group.  You seem to give unqualified backing to these Ofcom proposals whilst I want proper regulation now because I foresee them failing to resolve the problems because, as Magrathea pointed out Ofcom have not analysed the problems correctly .   I wish that my expectations for widespread dissatisfaction are wrong but we will see after the introduction whether these Ofcom proposals are effective or not.    I don't want to see the need for endless campaigning in the future, I would prefer regulation now.

I have already said that this Ofcom scheme is wrong, even unethical, in concept and is likely to be a failure and I have explained exactly why.   I  have asked Ofcom to think again but it appears that Ofcom is determined to provide legitimacy for the telephone service industry to scam the public with “micro-payments” whilst they are making and paying for their “regular” phone calls.   I have seen others on this Forum give support to my position on this but have seen no-one give any support, let alone full or enthusiastic backing, to the Fair Telecoms unqualified support for Ofcom's proposals on this Forum or in any public discussion site such as newspapers readers comments. 

I say the introduction of  access and service charges, while providing some “transparency”, is a poor substitute for proper regulation.   It is akin to “hiding in plain sight” a phrase which seems to have  been gaining currency in various contexts recently.   I am not decrying your campaigning efforts in general SCV but I do feel that your backing for Ofcom in these proposals is unfortunate because the ultimate goal of elimination of “Service Charges (and the consequent incurring of Access Charges) in all cases where it cannot be justified” will depend on consumer pressure and campaigners efforts rather than regulation and will never be achieved, but might or might not be reduced.   This is a grossly inefficient way to stop rip-offs and scams.   Magrathea Telecom pointed out that there will be insufficient competitive pressure to effectively protect consumers from harm and I feel you are mistaken in dismissing the Magrathea response as “contradictory and bizarre”.    Magrathea pointed out quite correctly that charges for 084 and 087 calls are a subsidiary matter for consumers if they are considered at all when a phone package is being chosen.   Many consumers are often subject to all sorts of sales pressure and sleight of hand when they are looking to buy a package.

You SCV suggest that Ofcom are limited in the scope of their powers when designing and introducing schemes and so are unable to take more substantial action on these matters, but I would remind you that Ofcom prohibited revenue sharing on 0870 numbers recently and I see no reason why they could not continue along this path and take similar action with all 084 and 087 numbers.  Unfortunately they have decided, and are determined not to be persuaded otherwise, while you misguidedly support and endorse Ofcom in failing to deal with the real problems by proper regulation.

Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #31 - May 12th, 2013 at 11:44am

Like loddon, I am unhappy with OFCOM's proposals, I do not see "transparency" as any real benefit to the consumer, I think it is very unlikely to have the desired effect of "shaming" users of NGNs into using ordinary numbers (the facts have never worked as a disincentive to scamming so why should transparency?)   For me, being charged anything above the rate for a geo number (in my case, nothing because of my package) is a scam and a rip off, particularly when, in the large majority of cases one has no choice about calling a particular organisation.   It is the fact that I am being scammed/ripped off which is the issue, knowing by how much benefits me not at all!

This is by no means a criticism of the efforts of others, I just feel it is too small a step and not even in the right direction.   If OFCOM wanted, it could be asking, even demanding, stronger powers from Ministers, it would certainly get public support for this.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #32 - May 12th, 2013 at 2:25pm

Thread #28 focuses on the true issue - transparency being a poor substitute for proper regulation. The public has, over many years and through many consultation responses, made its views perfectly clear - it does not want to see the imposition of additional fees or charges while making a call to a regular, normal organization or individual. There has not, as far as I am aware, been any public crusade to split the cost of a telephone call into separate elements - in simple terms, a fee for the telephone company and one for the recipient. The concept is utterly bizarre. The regulator created this monster and it is unwilling to remove it as there are too many vested interests. The public viewpoint is well understood by the regulator. It chooses to ignore this opinion and impose a solution that protects the prevailing situation where the telephone user will still be subjected to scams and rip-offs, and those of us who live overseas will still have difficulty and expense in maintaining telephone relationships with UK organizations. UK residents do not want transparency in charges, they just want the charges eliminated as such fees are unjust. The regulator knows this and fails to act, instead preferring to use some complex conjuring trick to express one rip-off in the form of another one.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #33 - May 12th, 2013 at 4:06pm

I agree with idb.

Ofcom knows exactly how the general public feel about this.

It is going to cause general confusion by allowing Sky (example only) of stating that calls to their 0844 number cost 2ppm plus network operators charge.

As Loddon has mentioned many consumers are dazzled by sales tactics focusing on the positive and ignoring/hiding the negatives like adverts that state "broadband/tv, etc from £21 per month" only to find (either hidden or in smaller print) that you have to take that companys line rental (no choice) and this will cost around £15 extra per month so without realising it at first that the so-called great deal turns out to be around £36 per month and not the £21 advertised in big print.

The OCPs charge may have to be transparent but that doesn't mean it will and also how big/small text size will they make it?

Also, when an OCP advertises their "great!" value packages will they make the OCP charge for calling 08x/09x the same very clear and same size text that they use for advertising, for example, the monthly cost, or will they purposely make the text a lot smaller and therefore hard to see?

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #34 - May 12th, 2013 at 8:01pm

The general argument against allowing a third party to collect money through our telephone bills is well made. If this is an argument about prohibiting the practice, thereby causing the withdrawal of directory enquiry, dial-up internet and other premium rate services, then that is fair enough.

If however it is focussed only on those cases where the public feels that a Service Charge is not justified, then surely it is for the public, not Ofcom, to decide which those are.

Some suggest that Ofcom should prohibit imposition of a Service Charge of 13p per minute or less, i.e. for those services which are accessed through 084 / 087 numbers. This is suggested as being what the public has clearly stated. I am inclined to believe that every consumer simply objects to paying more than they can argue that they should for everything. That is fine, however I do not think it fair to attempt to draw so refined a conclusion about the terms of a regulatory measure from such expressions of opinion.

Ofcom believes that there is a demand for such services to remain. I argue that in a new situation, where public confusion about call charges can no longer be exploited, it would be minimal, although I cannot produce the extensive evidence necessary to show that my rough judgement is sound. We cannot be certain of how many 084/087 users will be taken out by the provisions of the Consumer Rights Bill, as announced in the Queens's Speech, will do so under pressure, as HMRC has done, or will simply be unwilling to declare a Service Charge when confronted with this as a serious prospect.

The other great uncertainty, which will have a significant effect on the general position, is over how BT will react to removal of the NTS condition. This will provide it with the opportunity to rebalance its charges, correcting the appalling distortion to public perceptions which its present situation creates. There are however reasons why BT would not seize this opportunity in the way that we might expect, so it is very difficult to be sure that all of the confusion will be removed.

Although BT is no longer as big a player as many believe - that is why the regulation must be removed - it and its tariffs still have a disproportionate effect on public perception, for probably false reasons. This is exploited by those who sell business telephone services, and thereby by their customers.

The opportunity for anyone who holds the necessary evidence of lack of demand to present it, and engage in the necessary battles, has been around since the first Ofcom consultation on this subject. Such a submission would have to address the three possible consequences of the suggested prohibition of Service Charges of less than 13p per minute: 1) withdrawal of the telephone service, 2) continuation with a higher Service Charge, 3) continuation without a Service Charge. One could not assume (without evidence) that the latter consequence was the only possibility. Had Ofcom made such a proposal, it would have had to address the potential impact of all three and the likelihood of each.

Ofcom's actions are open to challenge in law. Had such a proposal been carried forward, any 084 / 087 user who wished to contest Ofcom's determination that consumers should be denied the opportunity to pay a Service Charge of 13p per minute or less to access its services by telephone would be able to have their day in court. One would expect that their arguments would be focussed on the first two of the consequences given above!

Ofcom's approach is always to be well protected (I believe, often over-protected) against the possibility of such actions. Losses undermine enormous amounts of work, as well as damaging the credibility of all its efforts. Some may believe that Ofcom would be bound to win any such case, however it is has passed this particular argument to be conducted in the court of public opinion.

I commonly find myself arguing against the consumerist approach, as it is too often extended to areas where it has no place, because clear values may be applied arbitrarily. In this situation, I find myself on the other side of the argument, competing with those who believe that Ofcom should be able to make a judgement, on behalf of the people, about which applications of a Service Charge are justifiable and which are not.

Unless all cases are unjustified, I cannot see any clear objective and defensible basis for a demarcation line. People know what they find unacceptable and they can make their arguments about each particular case, or class of cases.

I do not believe that all cases of 13p per minute or less are inevitably unjustified, nor do I believe that Ofcom is the right body to make any more refined determination, or to sit in judgement on the balance of public opinion in any particular case. I do not believe that Ofcom has the powers or resources to engage in such matters, and if it did, I am damned sure that I would disagree with many of its determinations!

Can anybody see a realistic prospect of DCMS giving Ofcom (a barely accountable QUANGO) the power to tell HMRC, an agency of the Treasury, or the DWP (Departments of State) what to do? There is to be no new Communication Bill to even begin its process in the current session, so we are probably looking to the next parliament to change Ofcom's powers.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #35 - May 16th, 2013 at 5:45pm

Talk Talk have today published their Annual Report :---

http://www.talktalkgroup.com/~/media/Files/T/TalkTalk/pdfs/reports/2012/talktalk...

This was mentioned on BBC's Breakfast TV and the Talk Talk Chief Exec Dido Harding was interviewed for all of a gruelling er ... (1min 30secs?).    The interviewer managed to bring in the £750m fine imposed on Talk Talk for silent calls and various other transgressions and unethical practices during the last year, which Dido dismissed as slight "problems" but said they were learning and improving all the time ..... of course.   Undecided Roll Eyes

This must have caused some sort of curiosity in my subconscious because I later found myself looking at the Talk Talk website and using it to seek out the sort of phone package that might interest me.   I currently have an all day anytime package, or whatever they call it, from VM and wondered how Talk Talk's offering would compare.   In particular I wanted to find out how they presented information about 084 and 087 numbers and the cost of these numbers.   This is what I found :---
“*Unlimited anytime calls to UK landlines
Applies to calls to UK numbers. Max 60mins/call then charged at standard rate. Applies to UK numbers starting 01/02/03/0845/0870 only (excludes calls to Channel Island, dial-up internet, indirect access & all other numbers).”

084 and 087 are merely “other numbers” according to Talk Talk and nowhere on their site can I find such numbers are ever explicitly mentioned.   When I clicked on “Talk UK Anytime Rates” this is part of what I saw :---
TALK TALK
Rates to UK Landlines
Daytime       Evening        Weekend
01/02/03 & 0845 / 0870*       Inclusive
Jersey & Guernsey  2.76p    1.84p       1.38p
0800 / 0808 / 0500 numbers
Free          Free         Free
*Maximum inclusive call time 60 mins per call (redial to avoid 8.41p per min rate).
0845/0870 numbers are inclusive when line rental is taken with TalkTalk.
All rates in pence per minute.

Other call types. (click here for number list)

Call Connection Charge  Per Minute Charge  Chargeband
(at all times)
Directory Enquiries DQ1 13.87p   28.08p    28.08p 28.08p
Directory Enquiries DQ2  13.87p  39.32p  39.32p  39.32p
Directory Enquiries DQ3 .......... "

The DQ numbers run up to DQ143.

“Premium Rate 0  13.87p  168.51p  168.51p  168.51p
Premium Rate 1   13.87p   55.05p    43.81p   43.81p
Premium Rate 2 ..........................."

Premium Rate numbers run up to P44.   The above tables have not reproduced very well but they give an idea of the layout.

There are various other types such as Internet Services, Services C Rate tec, Services Fixed Fee, Services FW01, Fw02 up to FW 12, G1Rate, G2 Rate up to G28Rate and more.    No mention of 084, 087 or 07 or 09 numbers. 
I can find no explanation of what all these codes mean or what numbers they might relate to.    How on earth do Talk Talk expect any customer to understand all this?   Sad Cry   I am not picking out TT especially but this seems to me to be typical of this industry and illustrates to scale of the problem which Ofcom need to understand and deal with.

We know that Ofcom are addressing this problem at present via their current consultation on Non Geo numbers which started in 2010 and might result in some new regulations coming into operation in 2015.   Meanwhile consumers are supposed to grapple with all this!   Shocked

At the same time Ofcom after years of cogitation and then consultation waffle on with their deeply academic analysis of the consumers view of 084 and 087 numbers with stuff like this :---

4.42 Consumers’ general awareness of the price of calls to 084 and 087 numbers is poor. Only a small minority are confident that they know the price of fixed and mobile calls to these numbers (see Tables 4.1 and 4.2 above).146 Furthermore, consumers overestimate the price of these calls with both mean and median expected prices exceeding actual prices by a significant margin (see Table 4.3 above).
4.43 This lack of consumer price awareness contributes to the vertical externality on the 084/087 number ranges by creating an incentive for OCPs to set retail prices above the level that many SPs would like. In contrast to 080, we are not aware of any attempts by SPs on the 084/087 number ranges to negotiate a particular retail price with OCPs. Nevertheless, evidence from the 2011 SP survey suggests that the vertical externality is still a material concern on these number ranges. For instance, we noted that of the two options for intervention that we asked about, 52% of 0845 SPs preferred all callers paying the same as for calls to a “normal landline” even though this option also involved a 1.5ppm increase in the cost of operating the number for the SP.147 This suggests that a significant number of 0845 SPs would like to contract with OCPs to set a different price for their services but, due to the difficulties in reaching such agreements, they are unable to do so
.”

This sort of thing goes on for pages and pages in the current consultation document.   What sort of cloud cuckoo land are Ofcom living in?    Shocked

Continued in next post as character limit reached.
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2013 at 5:54pm by loddon »  
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #36 - May 16th, 2013 at 5:48pm

Ofcom seem throughout their document to be rather surprised that consumers are not well aware of call costs to 084/7 and make no mention at all as far as I can see of the way call costs are displayed by Talk Talk and others, which are just as complex and obscure but very different.    One strongly suspects that the small minority who told Ofcom they are confident that they know the cost of calls to 084/7 are actually seriously deluded schizophrenics who have no idea what they are talking about.    Of course Ofcom base their analysis and understanding of consumers and the market on this sort of information.

I am afraid that this does not encourage me to be optimistic about the outcome of the current consultation and the way in which the phone services industry will implement a new regime and interpret the new regulations whatever they are.
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2013 at 6:05pm by loddon »  
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #37 - May 16th, 2013 at 5:59pm

Since posting I have just noticed the "click here" for other call types, my lack of perspicacity  Embarrassed,  OR an illustration of how phone companies make it difficult for consumers to find out about these pesky 084, 087 numbers.  Roll Eyes   However when clicking this is what the consumer is confronted with, dozens of pages (correction 183 pages, eek  Shocked):---

PREFIX CHARGEBAND
0300 Services G21 Rate
0302 Services G21 Rate
0303 Services G21 Rate
0306 Services G21 Rate
0330 Services G21 Rate
0331 Services G21 Rate
0332 Services G21 Rate
0333 Services G21 Rate
0343 Services G21 Rate
0344 Services G21 Rate
0345 Services G21 Rate
0370 Services G21 Rate
0371 Services G21 Rate
0372 Services G21 Rate
0500 Free
05516 Services G21 Rate
055114 Services G21 Rate
055551 Services G21 Rate
055553 Services G21 Rate
055554 Services G21 Rate
055555 Services G21 Rate
055883 Services G6 Rate
055888 Services G21 Rate
0551100 Services G6 Rate
0551107 Services G21 Rate
0555500 Services G21 Rate
0555508 Services G6 Rate
0558866 Services G21 Rate
056 Services G21 Rate
0560 Services G21 Rate
07000 Services D Rate
07001 Services D Rate
07002 Services PN22 Rate
07004 Services PN22 Rate
07007 Services K Rate
07008 Services PN2 Rate
07009 Services D Rate
07010 Services PN2 Rate
07017 Services PN2 Rate
07020 Services D Rate
07050 Services K Rate
07051 Services J Rate
07056 Services PN2 Rate
07057 Services PN2 Rate

Somewhere in these 183 pages the 084 and 087 numbers are buried.
Is all this quite clear now?? Smiley
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2013 at 7:35am by loddon »  
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #38 - May 16th, 2013 at 7:22pm

loddon wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 5:45pm:
This was mentioned on BBC's Breakfast TV and the Talk Talk Chief Exec Dido Harding was interviewed for all of a gruelling er ... (1min 30secs?).    The interviewer managed to bring in the £750m fine imposed on Talk Talk for silent calls and various other transgressions and unethical practices during the last year, which Dido dismissed as slight "problems" but said they were learning and improving all the time ..... of course.   Undecided Roll Eyes

The fine was for exceeding the allowance of silent calls permitted by Ofcom. It was for a breach that occurred two years ago. TalkTalk need only 'learn' to make no more calls than are allowed in order to avoid a fine. It does not have to make no silent calls.

loddon wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 5:59pm:
Since posting I have just noticed the "click here" for other call types, my lack of perspicacity  Embarrassed.   However when clicking this is what the consumer is confronted with, dozens of pages (correction 183 pages, eek  Shocked):---

PREFIX CHARGEBAND
[…]

The Unbundled Tariff will mean that the different rates are quoted by the Service Providers. Each call provider will have one Access Charge which will be far simpler to convey and understand.

Of course each sub-prefix may have a different Service Charge associated with it, but this will be common to all originating providers.
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2013 at 7:25pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #39 - May 16th, 2013 at 10:12pm

loddon wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 5:45pm:
What sort of cloud cuckoo land are Ofcom living in?

It may be helpful to understand the purpose of the current consultation by reading the consultation questions at stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/simplifying-non-geo-no/annexes/
Part_A_1_7.pdf#page=7.

Ofcom's role as a regulator applies to providers of communications services, where it is required to foster effective competition, which (it is believed by those who established Ofcom) will serve the interests of consumers. Whatever the truth, and whatever its officers may believe, Ofcom has to be seen to be operating within those limits.

On Silent Calls, Ofcom has the situation totally wrong, because the persistent misuse powers have nothing whatsoever to do with its powers as a regulator. Persistent Misuse has to be eradicated, not regulated, and in the interests of "citizens" (not "consumers"), as victims are not necessarily suffering at the hands of those who provide them with communications services.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #40 - May 18th, 2013 at 11:29am

Has anyone else noticed that Ofcom have estimated the Access Charge to be 16ppm??? Shocked

It is referred to by the THA (Telephone Helplines Association) where Ofcom quote the THA who were in turn quoting Ofcom's previous consultation in para A19.58 :---

"A19.58 THA also said it was not convinced that the unbundled tariff would necessarily lead to improved transparency for callers, because not all callers would be aware of their AC at the point of call. In particular it argued that if the AC was not lower than Ofcom’s estimate of 16ppm, the advertising requirements on the SC could be misleading, as they would detract from the real cost of the call."

This implies that a typical call to a 0845 number will be 26ppm plus the call set-up fee.    I say this because Ofcom were on BBC Breakfast TV this morning and Markham Sivak of Ofcom gave an example where he said in future under Ofcom's proposed regime a caller would see that a call to a 0845 number would be, say, 10ppm plus your network charge.  I guess he meant "access charge plus set-up fee" when he used the new term "Network Charge".

It doesn't seem that Ofcom expect the new regime to result in an improvement in call costs for consumers as a result of all this consultation.   Huh Roll Eyes Sad
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2013 at 11:59am by loddon »  
IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #41 - May 18th, 2013 at 12:24pm

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #42 - May 18th, 2013 at 1:51pm

Thanks sherbert for providing this link.   

There is one glaring mistake in the BBC report :---

"Under Ofcom's proposals, the charges will be split into two sections so consumers know what they are paying and where the money is going.

Callers will be told: "This call will cost x pence per minute, plus your standard access charge."

The access charge is a fixed fee that will go to the telephone company. The service charge, quoted in pence per minute, goes to the company being called."

Ofcom have made it clear that the access charge will ONLY be  a ppm charge and NOT a fixed fee., as the BBC have wrongly reported.

This is another example of Ofcom's erroneous (rip-off) thinking because there is no justification for the AC being ppm.   The service being provided by the originating phone company (OCP) is to put the call through; once that is done there is nothing more for the OCP to do so why should they continue to rake in a charge on every minute of the call??   This is what most people will call a RIP-OFF !!   Just one aspect of how Ofcom are proposing the system to work.   Unfortunately this exposes yet again that Ofcom are not trying to regulate the market they are blatantly assisting the phone service industry in continuing their RIP-OFFs.   

Again we have to conclude that Ofcom is either incompetent or deliberately malicious in failing to protect the public, consumers, from harm.   This whole review and consultation process can be seen to be yet another scam perpetrated by the regulator.   This is not a partial or biased view because if you look at the comments on this BBC report you see they are coming in thick and fast and almost every one is deeply critical of Ofcom and its proposals, for example ;---

" 133.itsdavehere
26 Minutes ago
Ofcom should be looking companies that have these automated queues/options menus etc... as these are a real money spinner for the phone companies and the companies that use them.
They are open to abuse as an easy way to rip off the consumer.

The law should be changed stating that, if a company uses these automated services, then the call MUST be free! Why should I have to pay to wait in a queue?

132.spam spam spam spam
27 Minutes ago
Some people are "put off" making important calls because of confusion over the amount they will be charged,

CORRECTION - Some people are "put off" making important calls because they know so many "customer service lines" are blatant extortionate rip offs, designed to maximise profit & even if you were the 1st to phone 1st thing in morning "sorry we are experiencing high call volumes",

131 16.rememberdurruti
4 Hours ago
"The service charge, quoted in pence per minute, goes to the company that you are calling"

Make this illegal, pass a law and fine companies that charge you. Why should you have to pay these companies when you ring them to complain about their lousy service."

When I started writing this post there were 127 comments and it has now grown to 157 and they are all deeply critical and unhappy with Ofcom.   I have only found one comment that is slightly in favour.   So if Ofcom does not think again and change these proposals radically it looks like the disaster I fear and have predicted is likely to happen. Sad Angry
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2013 at 2:38pm by loddon »  
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #43 - May 18th, 2013 at 2:58pm

162.voice of reason
42 Minutes ago
You have reached the Government Destiny Helpline.

To abandon the current Government press 1
To reduce the involvement of politics in every detail of your life press 2
To introduce online instant referenda on critical issues press 3
To introduce lie detection in politics press 4
To divide the country into more self governing territories press 5
To prosecute corporate/banking criminals press 6

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #44 - May 18th, 2013 at 3:11pm

85.RDG
3 Hours ago
Ofcom should have addressed this issue several years ago, but it chose to ignore it.
Why do we have to put up with Government Regulators that are not fit for purpose?

84.cathinscotland
3 Hours ago
I recently got stung by an 0844 number and sworn never to call another one! Making it simpler will help business and the rest of us. Doing a voice over that tells us, what the cost will be in we continue the call is a great idea. I for one, will hang up, at the point!

83.Colin2108
3 Hours ago
Ofcom, like all regulators, is a smokescreen shielding the companies. It does not protect or serve the customers. It should be illegal for any call recipient to make money just for receiving the call. That is simple but it will not happen, Ofcom and the government will see to that. But worst of all are doctors' surgeries using 0844 numbers to take money from ill patients.

82.Michael Lloyd
4 Hours ago
Why on earth should any calls (inside a gien country) cost any more than any others, dependent upon number? Why can we not have a simple, straightforward cost per second for the use of line and equipment? Similarly, why can we not have a simple cost per mile for train fares? And a cost per unit for gas/electricity? All these "tariffs" exist to screw us, as ever. I'm sure "simplification" will, too

113.WatchdogSucks
3 Hours ago
For the consumer there is zero advantage in these '08' numbers. Many people today only have a mobile number and as such have to pay way above the odds to make a call which more often than not is actually a helpline anyway. For Ofcom to sit by and have silently condoned this situation to prosper is a scandal itself. Minor lip-service from them now does nothing to redress their inaction.

« Last Edit: May 18th, 2013 at 3:18pm by loddon »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge