Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Where can I find information about 1 July 2015? (Read 98,957 times)
nicholas43

Re: Where can I find information about 1 July 2015?
Reply #60 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 3:32pm

Finarea's websites seem to aim to tell you today's price. So maybe Finarea will wait until 1 July to say which (if any) UK 08x numbers they will continue to connect, and at what prices? Not sure if they will need to advertise an explicit access charge, providing they say what they will bill (ie their access charge, plus service charge, for each 08x range, if any, that they are choosing to offer from 1 July).
Or will they continue to advertise 3p/min to UK 0845 etc, which will then be binding on them as access+service charge? And will Finarea not notice 1 July has happened until they start getting billed termination fees > 7p/min (including the service charge)?
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2015 at 3:33pm by nicholas43 »  

IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Reply #61 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 5:57pm

Ofcom's new rules require they declare the Access Charge, not the bundled prices, set the same level Access Charge for all 084, 087, 09 and 118 numbers, and charge the call using their Access Charge plus the correct Service Charge rate for the number called.

They would have a big problem if they bill the customer 3p per minute and then have to pay out up to 7p/13p per minute, as that would also be a serious breach of the new version of Ofcom's General Condition 17.

« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2015 at 11:54pm by Ian01 »  

IP Logged

nicholas43

Reply #62 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 10:19pm

Ian01 wrote on Jun 29th, 2015 at 5:57pm:
They would have a big problem if they bill the customer 3p per minute and then have to pay out up to 7p/13p per minute, as that would also be a serious breach of the new version of Ofcom's General Condition 17.

Would it?
Quote:
17.24 The retail price for a call to an Unbundled Tariff Number which is charged to a Consumer is the sum of—
(a) the Access Charge Element; and
(b) the Service Charge Element, subject to any special offers, discounts or call bundling arrangements which the Communications Provider offers to that Consumer.

In theory, can't Finarea have a special offer such that access+service charge to 0845 is 3p/min? I'd be surprised, however, if that is what they intend. I guess that neither of their (?)2 staff has read anything about UKCalling. Somebody will (presumably?) notice when they start getting billed for 7p/min termination.
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2015 at 10:21pm by nicholas43 »  

IP Logged

nicholas43

Reply #63 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 1:39pm

Ofcom staff apparently believe their own myth, that users of 08x numbers will publicise their service charge. Many will not, unless callers complain. Many will not, even if callers do complain. And few callers will bother to complain to the ASA.

Meanwhile, I have insisted on logging a formal complaint with Ofcom that Ofcom does not make available on its website a list of all 08x number ranges and the corresponding service charge. I realise that such a list will be long. But it could be made more consumer-friendly than the spreadsheets telcos used to bury deep in their websites 08bcdef = g309 (and so on for 209 pages).

I hope other readers of this thread will consider also complaining to Ofcom.

IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Reply #64 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 11:36pm

There are approx 17 500 blocks of 084, 087 and 09 numbers allocated to telecoms providers, so the list, however it is presented, will be pretty long.

« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2015 at 1:54am by Ian01 »  

IP Logged

nicholas43

Reply #65 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 10:19pm

The next myth is that telcos will get the billing right.

I made a test call to 0845 6006000, formerly used by Co-operative Bank for its credit card, now replaced by 0345 6006000. Because of the Co-op Bank's ineptitude, the call still connected.

Our "recent calls" list from EE includes

Quote:
NonGeo Local

04/07/2015 08:28 448456006000 SC6A 00:00:11 £0.009

"NonGeo Local" has, of course, been nonsense for many years. It is now inspissated nonsense.

Note that EE does not state that this is the service charge, only, and does not show an access charge of 0.000. (In contrast, all our calls to 01 02 03 and mobiles are listed with a charge of 0.000.)

Any clues about what SC6A means?

There is, of course, no way I can find out what the service charge for the 0845 600 range is. The Co-op Bank doesn't state it, because they no longer publicise this number. So I don't know whether it's 1p a minute, and we're being charged for a whole minute (sans VAT), or 5p a minute, and we're charged for 11 seconds, or what.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2015 at 10:21pm by nicholas43 »  

IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Reply #66 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 10:35pm

SC 6 means the Service Charge is 5p per minute, including VAT, billed per second from the start of the call.

12 seconds will bill as 1p. Your 11 second call was billed as 0.9p.

The A means the Access Charge is inclusive.

Once everyone has been billed for all of their June calls, there's the opportunity to redesign the layout.

« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2015 at 12:50am by Ian01 »  

IP Logged

nicholas43

Reply #67 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 7:11pm

Ian01 wrote on Jul 5th, 2015 at 10:35pm:
SC 6 means the Service Charge is 5p per minute, including VAT, billed per second from the start of the call ...

Many thanks Ian! I can now be the only EE customer who understands their bill! Hope they do improve the layout, and scrap the NonGeo Local garbage.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #68 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 8:40pm

nicholas43 wrote on Jul 5th, 2015 at 10:19pm:
There is, of course, no way I can find out what the service charge for the 0845 600 range is.

You can usually find them here:  http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2015 at 8:40pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Reply #69 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 9:32pm

Dozens of sites have published lists or have lookup functions. Lists are available from EE, Vodafone and TalkTalk.

There are hundreds of differences between them. The point is that service providers should be declaring these charges.

« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2015 at 9:35pm by Ian01 »  

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #70 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 10:07pm

Ian01 wrote on Jul 6th, 2015 at 9:32pm:
Dozens of sites have published lists or have lookup functions. Lists are available from EE, Vodafone and TalkTalk.

There are hundreds of differences between them. The point is that service providers should be declaring these charges.

Of course they should. But many are dragging heels for one reason or another.

I was trying to be helpful. The info supplied by them is usually very accurate. As it was in the case of the Coop Bank. I thought it would be a handy source for people seeking service charges until a approved  list is available.
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2015 at 10:08pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

nicholas43

Reply #71 - Jul 7th, 2015 at 9:14am

bigjohn wrote on Jul 6th, 2015 at 8:40pm:
You can usually find them here:  http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

Many thanks. Magenta's site is most impressive. Assuming it's almost always accurate, shouldn't it be prominently mentioned on this website? And it looks like I was mistaken to demand that Ofcom provides a list? And maybe the Fairtelecoms campaign also doesn't need to?

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #72 - Jul 7th, 2015 at 9:38pm

nicholas43 wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 9:14am:
Magenta's site is most impressive. Assuming it's almost always accurate, shouldn't it be prominently mentioned on this website? And it looks like I was mistaken to demand that Ofcom provides a list? And maybe the Fairtelecoms campaign also doesn't need to?
Ofcom do have a list of number allocations - see here.

The last I heard is these number allocations may not be accurate simply because of number porting as the lists are based on who was originally allocated a number/range, and not for any number porting afterwards.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #73 - Jul 7th, 2015 at 10:58pm

As mentioned in the Clear Call Rates for Everyone thread we are actively engaged in belated efforts to sort out provision of a definitive list of applicable Service Charges. This is important both for the industry and a potential reference point for consumers.

It is however vital that (notwithstanding a need that must be met) nothing is done to remove the obligation of Service Providers who choose to impose a Service Charge on their callers to declare it. The relationship between the organisation that imposes this charge and those who have to pay it must be properly fulfilled - that must include specifying the charge and thereby having to justify it. There must be no opportunity to pass it off as being something that is a function of the telephone industry.

The telcos have long used 084 numbers as a way of shifting costs from their direct customers onto consumers in general. Making those who adopt the numbers carry that responsibility is an important step in ending their misuse.

We are also concerned about the publication of extensive tables of Service Charge number ranges and charges being used as a means of making tariff tables even less accessible than they were previously. One clear objective of "Clear Call Rates for Everyone" was to remove the need for such extensive price lists, so that the relevant and important information would become more accessible. One reason for us pressing for a single definitive publication is to make it possible for telcos to be prohibited from cluttering up their price lists in this way - under the pretence of helping consumers.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge