Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15
Send Topic Print
NHS hospitals on 0844 rip-off numbers (Read 242,339 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Mid Essex Hospitals to scrap 0844 number
Reply #150 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 8:25pm

Mid Essex Hospitals is to abandon its 0844 numbers soon. This is to bring it in line with national strategy and complaints from the public and external bodies.

The new number is (01245) 443673 and this is now in service and answered with the same automated menu as the 0844 number.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: NHS hospitals on 0844 rip-off numbers
Reply #151 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 6:26pm

Someone may feel inspired to add a comment to a piece of nonsense I stumbled onto - The Importance of 0844 Numbers

Quote:
But are 084 numbers really that bad? Let’s take a look and see! ...

It is because of grossly ignorant or blatantly dishonest drivel like this, and the willingness of many to believe it, that we are in the present mess. Two months to go and many NHS bodies still using 084 numbers.

IP Logged

Stoday

East Anglia
Reply #152 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 7:43pm

What a curious dialect of English is used in that link SCV. Clearly the writers are from another planet.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #153 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 9:42am

Subscribers to my feed of news on this topic will have noted some interesting developments.

Forum members may feel recent items to be worthy of comment here.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #154 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 11:38am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Dec 2nd, 2010 at 9:42am:
Subscribers to my feed of news on this topic will have noted some interesting developments.

Forum members may feel recent items to be worthy of comment here.

This is great news, although I am not sure why the 0844 number for appointments is staying. If it is to be kept in service for now, the best thing to do would be to change it to the 01245 number when items come up for re-print.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #155 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 12:25pm

Dave wrote on Dec 2nd, 2010 at 11:38am:
... I am not sure why the 0844 number for appointments is staying. If it is to be kept in service for now, the best thing to do would be to change it to the 01245 number when items come up for re-print.

The media release explains this:

Quote:
The 0844 appointments line will work in conjunction with the new 01245 number until 31 March 2011, to allow ample time to communicate the new telephone number on patients’ appointment letters.  After this date the hospital will use only contact numbers prefixed with the local code, 01245.

All other calls to 0844 numbers will be met by a recorded message. I assume that the new appointments line number will be put on new letters as soon as possible, as suggested. It was presumably felt that calls should be answered on the old number, as it had been advised in correspondence, although only until the end of March, when the recorded message will cease to be provided on the other numbers.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #156 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 7:16pm

Sorry to slightly hijack this thread, I just wanted to point something rather obvious out,

On the Contact Us page the contact number is printed no less then 5 times, next to each Hospital in both UK and International Formats, even though the number is the same.

I have of course used the "Feedback" page to tell them.

Roll Eyes

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #157 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 7:27pm

CJT-80 wrote on Dec 2nd, 2010 at 7:16pm:
Sorry to slightly hijack this thread, I just wanted to point something rather obvious out,

On the Contact Us page the contact number is printed no less then 5 times, next to each Hospital in both UK and International Formats, even though the number is the same.

Under each address it says:

http://www.meht.nhs.uk/patients-and-visitors/contact-us/

Quote:
Main Switchboard - 01245 443673

Overseas callers please dial   +44 (0)1245 443673

I think it's fair enough to quote the number under each hospital's address. It is also correct to write the number twice; in national format and international format. The erroneous "(0)" in the overseas version requires removal.
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2010 at 7:27pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #158 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 10:03pm

Dave wrote on Dec 2nd, 2010 at 7:27pm:

Under each address it says:

http://www.meht.nhs.uk/patients-and-visitors/contact-us/

Quote:
Main Switchboard - 01245 443673

Overseas callers please dial   +44 (0)1245 443673

I think it's fair enough to quote the number under each hospital's address. It is also correct to write the number twice; in national format and international format. The erroneous "(0)" in the overseas version requires removal.

Dave agreed on the (0) being removed but the number is identical for ALL 5 entries, it would be far easier to put " To contact the following Hospitals please call "

Job done really.

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #159 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 10:42pm

CJT-80 wrote on Dec 2nd, 2010 at 10:03pm:
Dave wrote on Dec 2nd, 2010 at 7:27pm:
Sorry to slightly hijack this thread, ...

Please, if we are obsessed with suggesting ways of revising the layout of webpages where changes in circumstances have rendered the original format inappropriate, perhaps we could give attention to this old page - NHS bodies using revenue sharing telephone numbers.

There has been somewhere between modest progress and total victory with the following items (in sequence) 1, 2 , 4, 7, 8, 9, 15, 18, 19, 20, 23, 24, 25, 29, 30, 34 and 40. With the deadline for compliance with the Department of Health Directions only three weeks away, I am more concerned with making this list incorrect than ensuring its correctness. I would be grateful for any assistance.

In due course I will be hoping to publish an "after" version to show what has been achieved.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #160 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 5:13pm

SCV I am a little confused as to the what you want us to do?

Advise you if they have 01/02/03 alternatives?

Or something else?

Huh

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #161 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 7:49pm

CJT-80 wrote on Dec 3rd, 2010 at 5:13pm:
SCV I am a little confused as to the what you want us to do

Fair point, I was not explicit. I hold firm with the idea that it is for each of us to make whatever contribution we wish, both to the debate and to campaigning efforts. If I implied a demand or called on a duty (as it could have been seen), then I apologise.

Many of the NHS bodies listed on the web page referred to have geographic alternatives which they publish alongside the 084 number; others have removed the 084 altogether. In the course of my ringing round over the last couple of days, two have been persuaded to take further action to this end. When I referred to "making this list incorrect", I was thinking of that type of activity. The list is not being updated as changes occur; it reflects the extent of the problem at its worst.

My request for assistance was to cover any case where someone perhaps spots a local NHS body to whom they would be ready to make representations calling on them to comply with the Department of Health Directions, perhaps citing the greater cost which they personally incur when calling the 084 number. If anyone has the time, energy and enthusiasm to join me in addressing the list as a whole, then please get in touch by email or PM.

Mid Essex Hospitals has been a success for which we can all take credit. There are many others which have succumbed to (or been informed by) the mass of public pressure on this issue. The DH Directions have only served to formalise the point, they have served little purpose on their own.

Once the 21 December deadline has passed, and all have returned from the holiday, a much cleaner situation with NHS bodies will make it easier to put pressure on the GPs during the three months up to their deadline. Demonstrating the number of NHS bodies that have ceased to rely on 084 numbers will also help to show that change is necessary.

I am well aware that this is an open discussion forum; it is not a place for campaigning tub-thumping, or for detailed coverage of campaigning efforts and tactics. My comments here, and previously, are therefore (strictly speaking) out of order. I was struck by what seemed to me to be a wholly inappropriate and disproportionate response to what Mid Essex Hospitals had done, and sought to re-focus attention on the issue of substance. I hope I made my point fairly, although there was an explicit statement of disagreement with other contributors and suggestion of alternative action. These were however expressed in a tone that could reasonably be understood to be personal criticism and a call for action by particular individuals, rather than general comment. For that I apologise.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #162 - Dec 11th, 2010 at 9:00am

All that follows is planned and expected to happen, although live broadcasting is always subject to last minute change.

BBC Radio Essex will be doing a piece on the abandonment of 0844 numbers by Broomfield Hospital (Mid Essex Hospital Services NHS Trust) on Monday morning (13 December) at around 0740.

The discussion is likely to move on to the question of other Hospitals in Essex with 084 numbers:
Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust - 0845 155 3111, South Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust - 0845 603 6288 and Colchester Hospital University NHS Foundation Trust (Members Helpline) - 0845 8734610.

It may also discuss other NHS bodies in Essex still using 084 numbers, including the GP Out of Hours services commissioned directly by PCTs as follows:
Mid Essex - 0844 736 0276, North East Essex - 0845 602 5215, South East Essex - 0845 850 2783, West Essex - 0845 070 1611, South West Essex - 0845 602 1807, Havering - 0845 075 0496, Redbridge - 0845 075 0497, Barking and Dagenham - 0845 075 0495.

Briefing for the station has also included lists of each of the GPs in the county using 0844 numbers.

It is hoped that this initial item will explain the current situation regarding the Directions to NHS Bodies and the Revisions to the GP Contracts. It is intended that the item close with a challenge to be laid down to a later contributor. ...

It is planned that at 0805, local MP and Minister of State for Health, Simon Burns will comment on the news from Broomfield and the points raised in the earlier piece. If all goes to plan, Mr Burns will be able to confirm that NHS bodies have to abandon 084 numbers by 21 December and GPs must do the same by 31 March 2011, following the example set by his local hospital. Alternatively, he will be asked to confirm that NHS patients, in Essex and elsewhere, are to be victims of the "cuts" as they continue to make financial contributions to NHS providers that choose to use these numbers.

It is hoped that Mr Burns will be warned of the challenge that he is to face, so that he can be sure to be able to provide a proper and complete answer.

In case anyone is confused, I am suggesting that members may wish to listen in to BBC Radio Essex from 0735 on Monday morning. It broadcasts on 95.3 and 103.5 FM and on DAB and is available to listen live. The Monday Breakfast Show will be available to "listen again". I hope to publish a clip, which will be advised on this news feed - visit to subscribe to updates at any time.

Those who may wish to add their comments will be able to call the programme on 01245 495050.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #163 - Dec 13th, 2010 at 8:24am

Listeners to Radio Essex may be disappointed at the fact that Simon Burns failed to address the issue of the telephone numbers as expected and requested.

Feedback is invited on 01245 495050.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #164 - Jan 11th, 2011 at 10:12am

This is a novel way to get around the problem perhaps.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1345982/Now-insurance-companies-offer-...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge