Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How long to verify a number? (Read 46,046 times)
omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

How long to verify a number?
Sep 25th, 2004 at 6:38am

A few days ago I entered a number for a branch of Comet in the 'add to list' - but as yet it is not appearing.
Could we have an estimate of how long it normally takes, I realise moderators are busy and this is not a criticism, merely a request.
Thanks

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ”

Peterborough
Re: How long to verify a number?
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2004 at 1:53am

I'm so glad !!  Angry  It could be anything from same day to 3 weeks depending on lots of things !

If you want to check a number there's nothing stopping YOU looking in the Unchecked Numbers list if you're that desperate to see it in print !

You wouldn't believe the DROSS I have to get thru in the unchecked list before they get to the Live database . . . . .
# Blank entries.
# Phone Numbers with NO data.
# Names with 0870/45 numbers ONLY.
# WRONG names with numbers.
# REPEATED entries because I haven't verified it quickly enough.
# Numbers that are TOO long & don't work.
# People posting requested numbers, adding them to the list, for me to discover it's been dead for ages !
# More BLANK entries !
# 8 hours in the working day when people are at work & will talk to you.
# 5 days in a working week
(
etc., etc.
)
. . . .
#
People
asking
Silly
questions that have to be replied to instead of checking numbers are VALID !  Lips Sealed

Why can't I have my name in lights for the numbers I've supplied.
I want a medal TOO !!
 I wan't, I wan't, I wan't !!  
Gimme !  Gimme !  Gimme !

Anyway, why can't I have a day off now & again ??

Just in case you're interested (which you're probably NOT !) I happen to have a business to run as well, & this is end of quarter for VAT, plus end of month (wages, etc.) so when I get a ROUND TUIT it will be put in the Verified List (
That is IF IT WORKS or anybody bothers to answer !!
).   Cry

Can't I even have a nervous breakdown in peace !?

Be aware that this contributors warped comments in NO way reflect those of this site. Please view the post as a WHOLE to understand the contributors intent.

Suitably beaten with BIG stick !!
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2004 at 2:37pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2004 at 7:21am

I simply asked, as I made absolutely clear, a reasonable question and not a criticism of you.

To be then subjected to the tirade of nonsense and called a PRATT by someone who obviously has the manners of a hog (sorry hogs, no offence to yourselves) hardly encourages members to support  this forum.  

You are not alone in having other business interests, my accountants also complain bitterly about 'overload' at our 'year-end' - but they don't give up on their other interests and call people names in spiteful retaliation - for what?? - asking a perfectly reasonable question!

That type of childish ranting should have no place among members, particularly coming from a MODERATOR who is supposed to monitor behaviour on the forum.  The lunatics appear to have taken over the asylum.

If you cannot stand the heat, get OUT of the kitchen!!

ps Business can't be that good if you have time to do a lengthy diatribe like that - or do I suspect you just love the sound of your own voice? Grin
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2004 at 7:25am by omy »  

IP Logged

reggie

Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2004 at 10:18am

Dave M you're a hero. Thank you for setting up this site and for all the work you do for all of us.I must say that it's extremely satisfying to find the geographic number and dial it on 18866 especially when you can put the phone on speakerphone and let them keep you hanging on for up to 15 minutes until you get through to the right department .Keep up the good work and if it helps to blow off steam once in a while just do it.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2004 at 11:34am

OK DaveM, so you have a go at people who don't help us or themselves by not looking in the listings or not giving us addresses etc etc, but omy is a regular member and was asking a legit question.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it was 2am.

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #5 - Sep 27th, 2004 at 12:31pm

Reggie.

We are all grateful for the website and info, and the moderators who give time to 'run the show' - and we all need to 'blow off steam' from time to time.

BUT - need the moderator be so vindictive towards a member who asked a perfectly reasonable question?  Please look at the original post I made,  does it not ask the question politely, realises the work the moderators do and specifically says that it IS NOT a criticism?

Why should I be called a pratt?  Who will be next in line? Why should members risk contributing if they may be harangued by a MODERATOR/

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ”

Peterborough
Reply #6 - Sep 27th, 2004 at 2:53pm

Reggie
: Sorry but it's Daniels baby - I just lend a hand, & throw in an occasional controversial post
(
tic
)

Omy
: You complained about the lack of ACTION lately so I just added some - sorry it just happened to be directed at you. I've amended the post above to massage the wounded pride !!   Grin

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #7 - Sep 27th, 2004 at 3:58pm

DaveM - You really do seem to have a problem, warped mind or not!
However I still reckon people will think twice about adding to this site discussions if they never know when you are going to 'sound off'.
Also very neat to amend the previous post so that nobody coming on the discussion now will realise what ACTUALLY went before.  I know now that I am not alone in thinking you are unfit for the Moderator position until you can curb your anger.

IP Logged

bgezine

Reply #8 - Sep 29th, 2004 at 11:53am

This is not directed at anyone, and I am only new to posting here so I don't know what has gone on before.

Just one point.

If Joe Public can't find a number to save himself 5p a minute then he shouldn't make such a song and dance about asking how long it will take - afterall, people only come here because they have given up trying to find it themselves.

I use a different approach - if a business only gives out 0870 numbers then I find an alternate supplier.

I have an 0800 number on an answerphone but I never answer it because it is cheaper for me to phone people back than to talk to them at 6p a minute plus VAT. (I advertise it as an answerphone so I get really upset when I have paid for the call and there is no message.)

Well, that is my little rant.

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #9 - Sep 29th, 2004 at 12:55pm

bgezine -  just to clarify for you - I had found an alternative number to an 0870 which I wanted to share with the other members by adding to the list.
I went thru the procedure, but after a few days it had not come onto the list, so I posted the question that started this link - being then totally shattered at the reply from the Moderator.
I was only asking for a reply such as "about a week" or similar, so that I could know for future reference (it was my first 'adding to the list').
Instead I am called a stupid pratt, and subjected to the railings of a 'disturbed?' mind.
It will be the last time I attempt to help others through this site if that is the way you are treated, when you ask a perfectly reasonable question!!!

IP Logged

exmodel

Peacehaven, East Sussex
Reply #10 - Sep 29th, 2004 at 3:36pm

Quote:
bgezine -Instead I am called a stupid pratt, and subjected to the railings of a 'disturbed?' mind.

Omy..I am a fairly new user to this site but still think  this site is a Godsend for the people who like me are trying to save £££'s!! My only concern as you seem to say was your original message was somehow 'modified'??? As mentioned above in the quote...did he really call you a pratt??? Sad

If that is the case then I think a serious lobbying effort should be put in place to remove this 'so called moderator' for modifiying your comments #1... and #2 for causing you distress! I am sure I will probably get bumped for this comment but stuff them if they can't take some constructive criticism Angry Angry Angry Pity you didn't copy and paste whatever he originally said to you love!

SORRY BUT REALLY GETS THE DEMON IN ME GOING!!!!!!!!!!

ALL COMMENT MOST WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2006 at 8:34am by Forum Admin »  

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #11 - Sep 29th, 2004 at 3:58pm

Yes, exmodel, I can assure you he did say that!
His original 'rant' to me was at 1-53am.
This was edited at 2-37pm (nearly 12 hours later), so all the members who posted (and others, I presume) BEFORE that time would also have seen it - Reggie, Heinz & Dave posted replies, so must have  - so I'm not imagining it.
DaveM himself also accepts he edited to "massage my wounded pride" in his #7 post.

On your other point about advertising, I also mentioned this in my post labelled "Gamekeeper turned Poacher  ", on this site, so we must think along the same lines??
Cheers.

IP Logged

exmodel

Peacehaven, East Sussex
Reply #12 - Sep 29th, 2004 at 4:13pm

HEINZ YOU GOT THAT ONE DAMN STRAIGHT...DON'T BE FOBBED OFF WITH SULLEN EXCUSE OF WEB PROVIDER PROBLEMS. THESE IDIOTS KNOW EXACTLY WHO THEIR PAYCHECK IS COMING FROM.

AND IF IT MEANS I AM SHOUTING JUST BECAUSE I AM TYPING ALL IN CAPS THEN SO BE IT!!! HYPOCRISY BE DAMNED!! IS THIS A SITE TO HELP OR HENDER PEOPLE LIKE OURSELVES??? BUMP ME IF YOU DARE MODERATOR BUT I SHALL ME ON TO MY MATE, YES, MARTIN LEWIS, WHO I KNOW VERY WELL TO MAKE SURE HIS SITE NEVER RECOMMENDS YOU AGAIN UNLESS YOU COME UP WITH A DECENT ANSWER TODAY AND NOW!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

pauld

Newport, South Wales
Reply #13 - Sep 29th, 2004 at 5:03pm

I think enough has been said regarding this.

If you were offended, then an apology has been made - accept it and move on.

The whole point of this site is to help each other by providing an alternative to 0870 numbers and the like.

Quote:
It will be the last time I attempt to help others through this site if that is the way you are treated, when you ask a perfectly reasonable question!!!
Why are you still contributing to this site if you feel the way you do.  At the end of the day, this is a free site for the exchange of information, from which we all gain from.

Quote:
If that is the case then I think a serious lobbying effort should be put in place to remove this 'so called moderator' for modifiying your comments #1... and #2 for causing you distress! I am sure I will probably get bumped for this comment but stuff them if they can't take some constructive criticism    Pity you didn't copy and paste whatever he originally said to you love!
  From what I can see #1 has NOT been modified!  As for thinking 'a serious lobbying effort should be made....' .....Why?  It's quite ironic really that this thread is called 'How long to verify a number?', and there are people calling for one of the (very few) people who verifies the numbers to be given the push.  And what  does this achieve?  Do you think that numbers are going to be verified quicker, with less people verifying?

A lot of effort is put in by very many contributors on this site and I'm sure it will continue to succeed.  But please remember nobody is forced to use this site.  Like any other adventure, if you are not pleased with the service offered, you are welcome to seek elsewhere.  Or yes, I almost forgot, there is no 'elsewhere' that I know of!  This is the only site of it's kind, that I've been able to find.

One last word on this, I think enough has been said about DaveM, to lobby for his removal, what a joke!  This isn't Election '04 - he's not accountable to any of us.  He does a good job, so let him consentrate at what he does best here - tracking down alternatives to rip off numbers.

As to the adverts - what's the problem?  You are not forced to follow any link.  And be thankful that they are not pop-ups!!

Too much time has been wasted on this now, let's get back to what this site does best - find the alternatives.

IP Logged

Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #14 - Sep 29th, 2004 at 5:13pm

I will try and explain the reasonings behind this, and also the discussions regarding DaveM's reply to the poster original question.

1)  Banner Adverts

My website is not selling advert space to 0870 companies, and they are not sponsoring it.

The site is offered as a FREE service to everyone (including you), and does have running costs - I'm sure most people don't mind what is on a banner advert, if they are getting a free service in return.

Google do not currently have a way to block certain categories of adverts, although I have been manually blocking certain websites myself.  

Google adverts are randomly displayed based on the words used on a particular page, which is why different adverts appear on different pages.  - I have actually had positive comments regarding the adverts for 0870 numbers, that have slipped through my manual blocks.  It actually shows consumers how much money companies can make by using these numbers.

2)  DaveM
SAYNOTO0870.COM is a personal site that is run by myself (Daniel - Administrator).  Although there are a lot of regular visiters contributing to the site (which we are all thankful too), DaveM has been working through the entire database (over 2,000 numbers) correcting, testing, changing categories, and basically tidying up all the entries.

His efforts are greatly appreciated, and he spends hours of his own personal time helping the site, which in turn helps others.

I do agree that his original (non-modified) post may have been seen as over the top, and DaveM has since apologised for this.

I think this issue has been discussed quite a lot now, so lets all try and get on together, as the aim of the site is to help each other, and the forums are here in order to communicate with one another.

Thanks again
Daniel
SAYNOTO0870.COM (Administrator)
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2006 at 8:52am by Forum Admin »  

Check Out the main website at http://www.saynoto0870.com
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge