Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Banned by Alliance & Leicester (Read 152,258 times)
Big T

Re: Banned by Alliance & Leicester
Reply #15 - Jan 24th, 2005 at 2:08pm

[color=Red][/color] 0870 numbers are my pet hate (apart from Tony Blair of course), but isn't their exsistence and the policy that goes with them a contrvention of the competition rules in this country? They are sold by BT only aren't they? And they cannot be by-passed with any other telecom provider. Therefore the end user has no choice but to pay whatever price is set by individual vendors. No competition, no choice !! Particularly if they refuse to take your call from the geographical number. Surely there must be something we can do about it.
I wrote to the competition commission who wrote back and said it's not their 'bag' basically, so who? what?

IP Logged

bill
Ex Member

Re: Banned by Alliance & Leicester   Me t
Reply #16 - Jan 24th, 2005 at 3:27pm

Quote:
• I Called the geog number 0116 201 1000 and asked for mortgage services.
• "Sorry, we can't put you through from here, I'll give you their number, it's 0870 ...."
• Then I can't connect you.
• Well there is no connection from this number, I can't physically put you through.
• After 10 mins I get "customer service".  There is no "Hallo my name is Sharon, how can I help you?"

So, you asked to be put through and were told, "Sorry, we can't put you through from here ..."
Then, when you persisted, you were told, "... I can't connect you."
Further persistence got you, "Well there is no connection from this number, I can't physically put you through."
Then , when you persist yet again, you were connected.
That does'n't sound like they were being 'economical' to me.  That sounds like they were LYING.

IP Logged

haggard

I love Saynoto0870

Wilmslow
Reply #17 - Jan 24th, 2005 at 4:22pm

Bill
Yes, but
I wrote down here what was actually said.
Although I was convinced they were lying, and by being put through when they said it couldnt be done, after they clearly discussed whether they should put this persistent person through, they were proved to be lying; as you also deduce. But I did not think it would help to say bluntly "you're lying".  I needed the switchboard operator on my side since she does not make the rules, she gets paid little to do as she is told by people who get paid a lot.   By getting her to actually do something, I got her to demonstrate that she had been instructed to lie.  That is why today is yet another bad day for the Alliance and Leicester.
Do they get to read this?  Would it help if they did?

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #18 - Jan 24th, 2005 at 4:38pm

Quote:
That is why today is yet another bad day for the Alliance and Leicester.
Do they get to read this?  Would it help if they did?

You mean that people that can make such business-foolish decisions can read?

IP Logged

terry@carterfamily

East Molesey
Reply #19 - Jan 25th, 2005 at 6:41am

Yesterday I called Alliance and Leicester on their freephone number for opening accounts as they had not transferred £50,000 to my new account (FOR MY SAILING CLUB!). I was told that I would have to use an 0870 number. I asked for a supervisor who eventually arranged for a manager to call me back in the accounts operating section. He was very apologetic, did not set policy etc. but said; I could fax on a 0151 number and they would call me back.

The revenge will be sweet when I use this system, I have a free of cost to me 0871 number for them to use! 0871 number obtained from advert on Martin's site. Grin

IP Logged

aiuk

Reply #20 - Jan 30th, 2005 at 10:24pm

i have emailed A&L's pr people and invited them to comment.

i will post the reply in due course.

IP Logged

helmbarrie

Reply #21 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 11:41pm

I have an Alliance and Leicester Girobank account. the service on this account has  steadily got worse over the years. Recently they changed the 0845 number for a 0870 one. They are the worst of the banks fro keeping me waiting on the phone. On visiting this site I found an alternative 0845 number. It worked and asked the operator why the two numbers to the same place. Apparently the 0845 is for an upgraded account and i should use the 0870 number. I was told the operator could refuse to deal with me if they noticed. If they do I will close the account. I already use other banks because of their shoddy service.

Cheers

Peter

Helmbarrie

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #22 - Feb 3rd, 2005 at 1:55am

Quote:
Thank you for your feedback received via our web site. ....... has a policy
of continuous improvement and places great importance on customer feedback.

The comments that you have made have been taken forward to form part of our
discussions for future enhancements. I would like to assure you that we are
committed to providing a first class ... service.

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback as we are
continually looking for ways to improve our services.

Yours sincerely

...  E-Messaging Team

who was it really from? You're fooling yourself - there's nobody there

IP Logged

purplezogg

Reply #23 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 10:30am

Hi I have banked with Alliance & Leicester for years now and the information on this site is amazing I wish I had know before. I tried the 0800 0688638 number (current accounts) yesterday and it is the same option push button number type as the 0845 one customer adviser is option 9 after you put your account number / password etc.  You still have to hold for ages, but it is a free number, so who cares! After all we are the people who keep them in business, why should they fleece us?I am horrified by what I have read about people being banned. Keep trying as a customer you deserve a better service.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #24 - Apr 19th, 2005 at 9:13pm

A report on Rip-off Britain here.

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Reply #25 - Apr 20th, 2005 at 7:04pm

How do you obtain a free 0871 number and how do you receive revenue from it?

More importantly, how much do you "earn"? ???

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #26 - Apr 23rd, 2005 at 3:22pm

I have just called Alliance and Leicester and their geographic number, which is listed on their letterheads, as the one to call from abroad, in place of the 0845 number.

I got put straight through to a customer advisor.  All I actually wanted to do, was use their automated telephone system to change my pin (as I'm a new customer)

I was told that I had just called the number that was designated for overseas callers, and that I was to call the 0845 number.  I explained that it was a premium rate number, and that calling the Leeds number was free of charge from my phone.

The advisor then went on to say that it's company policy to issue 0845 and 0870 numbers, and that if my phone doesn't allow these calls, to call from another phone.

He also referred to 0870 as "national rate" and said that the only people who would pay less to call Leeds, are people in Leeds!!

I then also pointed out that as a new customer, it's not customer friendly to expect people to phone premium rate numbers, and I also gave the customer service advisor this website address, and asked him to see for himself that 0870 and 0845 calls are not acceptable, and also pointed out that there's a thread on Alliance and Leicester, refusing to give out a geographical number.

He then said that if I'm an active member against 0870, then I should have known this when signing up as a new customer, so I commented that as a customer I'm welcome to take my business elsewhere, and he agreed!!

Not exactly the best start of banking relationsips!!

If the customer service advisorm who I spoke to has now visited the site, I am hoping that the articles in this forum enlightened you to the problem of non geographic numbers, and hoping that an alternative to 08459 26 26 26 will be offered to service my account by phone.

I know other members on this site will say "Why don't you use online banking instead"  That is exactly what I will do, however I only wanted to change my telephone pin number, just incase I ever need to call customer services.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Reply #27 - Apr 23rd, 2005 at 3:54pm

Alliance Leicester are c*** - they lost a £300 cash deposit which I made into a cash machine.

They claimed I didn't make the deposit and said the machine was empty.  They wouldn't listen to me till I threatened to inform the press and the police.  Suddenly, out of nowhere, the envelope was "found". Claimed it was in the machine after all and there were a few "crossed wires".

Yeah, sure... Angry Now I use Nationwide - their machines actually count the cash and credit immediately.  They also offer free weekly ministatement text alerts! Amazing!

IP Logged

Alternative

Reply #28 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 3:32am

I found the following info on the complaints section of their website:-

Alliance & Leicester plc,
Group Customer Relations, Customer Service Centre
Narborough, Leicester LE19 0AL
Tel 0116 200 4444
Fax: 0116 200 4150
Textphone: 0870 010 0161

You will note that there is a Geo 0116 number one can use. Cheesy

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #29 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 5:10pm

I have now carried out the pin change using the freephone number, as suggested by a previous poster.  All that happens is you press a number for current account services, as that is the credit card number.

Overall, I made a free phone call their geographic number, kept a customer service agent tied up for 5 minutes, to complain about the 0845 number, to which he said there's no alternative!!

Then I used the freephone number (at their cost) when using a geographic number would suffice.

Also, found out another little surprize.  Their envelopes which you can use to deposit cheques by post are not freepost.  I do occasionally have the odd cheque.

Those envelopes are also used to deposit money at the post office, but I'm not sure whether you need a stamp there.

Another irony is that Alliance and Leicester being one of the worse offenders in making people call non geographic numbers, is one of the only banks with a non geographic postcode!!  GIR 0AA, however unlike non geographic phone numbers, Royal Mail don't make you pay any extra for a stamp to send letters there!!

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge