Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
GP 0870 numbers could be banned (Read 108,675 times)
juby

Gloucestershire
Re: GP 0870 numbers could be banned
Reply #60 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 11:24pm

Can we please see a cpy of your post before it was edited by you?

Nothing will be gained by telling lies or pretending that other people are idiots.

It defeats the cause.

Goodnight

Juby

Angry

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #61 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 11:37pm

Quote:
Can we please see a cpy of your post before it was edited by you?
Angry

I just said that You & Yours was mainly oriented towards Housewives to which another participant in the forum took exception so I edited it out.  So it seems damned if you do and damned if you don't...

OK my comment was a little bit sexist but it is fair to say that You & Yours is pitching more at The Daily Expres or Daily Mail reader than at The Guardian or Financial Times level of analysis.  Also since I am male and currently am able to listen to the program I was being a little bit inconsistent and unreasonable.

Actually this whole 0870 saga has been very good for You & Yours as before this they used to spend their whole time trying to get speed limits lowered to 20mph everywhere but now we have redirected their energies towards something a lot more productive.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #62 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 12:15am

Another GP/NEG article, this time from the Salford Advertiser: http://www.salfordadvertiser.co.uk/news/index/articles/article_id=13396.html

Nice headline too - Calls to GP surgeries charged at chatline rate.

>>>>

CALLS to two doctor’s surgeries in Salford can now cost nearly as much as phoning premium rate chat lines.

Patients wanting to book appointments or order repeat prescriptions at Nelson Fold Practice in Pendlebury and Dr Ahuja Surgery in Little Hulton must now ring an 0870 number costing as much as 8p a minute - over twice as much as the previous 0161 local rate numbers.

Outraged residents have labelled the move a “charge on the sick” and accused surgeries of profiting from their patients.

According to Ofcom, the government’s communications watchdog, calling 0870 numbers can cost only slightly less than ringing some 09-number chat lines which charge 10p a minute.

One patient at Nelson Fold who asked not to be identified said: “It’s outrageous. Patients are basically being charged for being sick. Patients would be better off walking round, but what if they’re too sick or elderly so they can’t?

“If it doesn’t cost enough already with prescription prices we are now being charged before we even get examined. Profiting from patients is just sick. As far as I know we weren’t consulted on this.”

A spokesman for Nelson Fold Practice on Bolton Road, said the move was a result of a patient survey and patients benefited from the new number.

When asked if patients now paid more, the spokesman said: “Yes and no. The call rate is slightly higher but we have found that overall call lengths are shorter so calls can actually cost less.

“We’ve done this in response to our patient survey that highlighted a major difficulty with our previous telephone system. This new system is much more versatile to help manage patient enquiries and requests.

“We would never exploit our patients. It was done to improve our service for them. We chose this system because of its functionality and installation set up costs. It also allows patients to contact the out-of-hours service and to cancel appointments when the surgery is closed.”

The ‘Surgery Line’ system was created by NEG plc based in Essex and costs between £16,000 and £20,000 to install. The money is paid back from patient call charges and the surgery apparently makes no profit.

Scott Russell, product development director for NEG plc, said: “We found 90 per cent of doctor’s surgeries were engaged between 9am and 10.15am, but Surgery Line gets rid of this problem with the options available.

“Patients cannot be on hold longer than five minutes. The surgeries make no money from the system.”

According to the list of doctors surgeries in Salford supplied by NHS Direct, only Nelson Fold and Dr Ahuja have 0870 numbers. Dr Ahuja’s Surgery was unavailable for comment.

A spokesman for Salford PCT said: “The decision on whether or not to use national rate numbers remains at the discretion of GPs.”

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #63 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 8:22am

Quote:
“Patients cannot be on hold longer than five minutes. The surgeries make no money from the system.”

What  utter nonsense.  Of course the surgery makes money out of it patients from these calls.

They get back from the patients over the next few years the £16,000 in call revenue that they should have had to spend from their own budgets on the telephone system.

I also can't believe that these small phone handling systems don't actually cost a lot less than £16,000 if the doctors were actually having to pay the cost and shopping around for them, rather than simply letting their patients be ripped off for the phone call cost.

People like local councillors and MPs would never dream of putting their phone numbers on 0870.  They would expect their constituents to be absolutely outraged if they did.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #64 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 4:21pm

More media coverage.

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/capitalcity/news/tm_objectid=15205197&method=full...

>>>

Doctors caught up in phoneline profit row Feb 18 2005

DOCTORS have been accused of making profits from their NHS patients by using a special phone number that collects money from every call to their surgery.

A GP surgery in Cardiff is the first in the city to use the new money making system but other GPs are likely to follow.

Patient watchdogs are angry at the move and demand that doctors stick with the traditional local phone lines.

The use of the 0870 phone line to GP surgeries has already caused fury in England with the Government stepping in and warning doctors they want it stopped.

The surgery at the centre of the row in Cardiff is the Cathays Surgery in Cathays Terrace - a popular medical centre for students at Cardiff University.

Stephen Allen, the GP watchdog for Cardiff Community Health Council, said: "We are very unhappy about the use of these phone lines. It's the patients that are paying and a very bad move by GPs."

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

dave333444

Reply #65 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 6:07pm

« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2005 at 6:17pm by dave333444 »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #66 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 8:02pm

I hope that this is what we have been waiting for. Whilst I sympathise with those who have to ring their sugery on 084/087, it certainly gives the whole scam media coverage.

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #67 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 9:35pm

Brilliant Dave 333.

That's enough to keep us going for ages.

The guy in Wales make me think of a bright young doctor who has been completely sold by NEG.

(I can't think why).

You have got hand it to them (NEG) the are the best salesmen since the guy who sold the Tower Bridge to the Americans.

However, consider this (forgive me if has been raised before), The man in the call box desperately trying to call his doctor, his wife is sick: with what he does not know.

The call is immediately answered, our man is very relieved and proceeds to pour his heart out, until he realises that he is talking to a machine.

That is the whole point of their selling - that the phone is answered quicker, and it is, except that our man is piling up charges until it is answered by a real human being.

They are evil, and thev sooner they go bust the better

Average cost about £2.

Juby

Smiley

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #68 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 10:12pm

Quote:
I also can't believe that these small phone handling systems don't actually cost a lot less than £16,000 if the doctors were actually having to pay the cost and shopping around for them, rather than simply letting their patients be ripped off for the phone call cost.

I wonder if anybody would care to assess what the costs of an exchange would be?

I'm a little bit out of touch, (by approx 20 years) but I do know that a typical doctors' surgery could handle the calls with a "key and lamp" unit and three lines. (PABX)

Given that the technology has risen in inverse proportion to the cost, I would estimate that at about £600 plus VAT would equip the average doctors' surgery.

Any old engineers out there?

Wink

IP Logged

kk

Reply #69 - Feb 19th, 2005 at 1:12pm

Well said Juby – they do deserve to go out of business.

It also says a lot for the doctors who use this scam, either they are gullible or greedy.

I can imagine the man in the phone box feeding the slot machine at a rate of 10p every 43 seconds.

KK

IP Logged

bill
Ex Member

Reply #70 - Feb 19th, 2005 at 1:56pm

Quote:
I can imagine the man in the phone box feeding the slot machine at a rate of 10p every 43 seconds.

It's the little old lady with the arthritic hands who can't afford her own telephone that I'm imagining ........

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #71 - Feb 19th, 2005 at 10:20pm

Quote:
either they are gullible or greedy.

I would like to think that they are neither, given that they buy any old thing the salesman offers them, I think they are bit unworldly.

However if anybody can show proof that a back hander has been instrumental in persuading the doctor to change his surgery number to 0870, then we have got them.

"Back hander" includes a holiday in the Caribean!

Shocked

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #72 - Feb 20th, 2005 at 2:54am

Quote:
I would like to think that they are neither, given that they buy any old thing the salesman offers them, I think they are bit unworldly.

If this is their ethical judgement then I would not also trust the medical judgement of the doctors in question.

I cannot imagine any local councillor or MP in the country considering using one of these numbers because they are actutely sensitive to public opinion.

This action by doctors only confirms my worst fears about many doctors who effectively do not feel they are in a competitive market for customers and treat many of them like prison inmates than a valued source of business.

If Ofcom don't totally shut down 084/087 revenue sharing, when they report back in a few weeks time, and sling it all on to 09 with ICSTIS they are even more spineless, student and incompetent than I had actually imagined possible.
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2005 at 3:00am by N/A »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #73 - Feb 20th, 2005 at 3:04am

Quote:
However if anybody can show proof that a back hander has been instrumental in persuading the doctor to change his surgery number to 0870, then we have got them.

Don't forget that this is generally happening at large doctors practices who have full time "practice managers" who are pretty useless individuals but like to imagine that they are businessman.  Their morals and instincts are completely opposite to those of a doctor and they have been selected on this basis.

Thus I would not be at all surprised to find that inducements such as free DVD Recorder, holiday in the caribbean etc are all involved.  It would be nice if a doctors surgery who is on our side and has no intention of going ahead could approach NEG, as though they were a real customer, and find out what is on offer.

IP Logged

kk

Reply #74 - Feb 20th, 2005 at 10:01am

Network Europe Group PLC  (NEG) has a web site.

www.negplc.com

KK

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge