Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
FCO (serial abuser of 0870) (Read 29,635 times)
idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Re: FCO (serial abuser of 0870)
Reply #15 - Aug 2nd, 2005 at 1:51pm

Quote:
I do hope that you will not be cutting of your nose to spite your face over this one, even though I of course understanding your feelings regarding the behaviour of the British Embassy.

You don't need a UK passport as a British citizen not currently holding a valid uk passport but you will have to queue at Heathrow with those from other remote parts of the world, many of whom are deemed potential illegal immingrants.  You will also lose the right to reside indefinitely in any part of the European Union without the valid UK passport.  I note that you don't say you will be renouncing your nationality though so presumably you are just protesting at the excessive charges and unhelpfulness?

Wouldn't it be more effective though to write to the British Ambassador and to the Foreign Secretary and to the New York Times and the Washington Post?  If you don't like the reply from the Foreign Office then why not take the issue to the Ombudsman.

Also make sure to keep emailing the MPs signing the current early day motion and the various interested national newspaper journalists with the information.  I'm sure somebody would love to interview you for the File on Four program on BBC Radio 4 or something similar.  Perhaps you could get journalists to take your picture if you come to the uk and have to queue as a foreign national due to the excessive passport fees and costs.
I have no intention of giving up citizenship - this would be pointless and be of no benefit, however I do not need a British passport to enter the UK as long as I have another one. As for queuing with all the other foreign passport holders, if I'm traveling with my wife, I have to do this anyway as she is American, so it's no big deal. I actually sent  a complaint email to the embassy, but it bounced. I don't think raising with the press will get anywhere - as you have said elsewhere, the standard of consumer journalism is poor and it's probably too concerned with Big Bruv at the moment. If I ever receive a response from my MP regarding the multiple submissions I made about PITO etc, I may well contact him. What I will do is submit a FOI request to the FCO and ask why surrounding countries do not use PRS but the embassy in the US does.

You state that without a valid passport, I lose the right to live/work/whatever in the EU - are you *certain* about that? My belief is that as long as you are a citizen of one EU country, then you could live more or less anywhere in the EU. The possession of a passport does not necessarily demonstrate citizenship, although it often and usually does. I believe my UK birth certificate would demonstrate British citizenship - after all, this is the document I used to obtain a UK passport in the first place! Anyway this is all a little OT now.

I am just sick and tired of my own government using NGNs in the UK and using PRS overseas.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Aug 2nd, 2005 at 2:00pm

Quote:
You state that without a valid passport, I lose the right to live/work/whatever in the EU - are you *certain* about that? My belief is that as long as you are a citizen of one EU country, then you could live more or less anywhere in the EU. The possession of a passport does not necessarily demonstrate citizenship, although it often and usually does. I believe my UK birth certificate would demonstrate British citizenship - after all, this is the document I used to obtain a UK passport in the first place! Anyway this is all a little OT now.

I can't see how you will establish your right to permanent residence or even indefinite temporary residence in the other EU countries without a British passport.

If they admit you via your United States passport it will be on a tourist visa with a specific time restriction.  If you don't leave the country by the time the visa is up you will be in violation of their immigation rules.  Your birth certificate won't get you very far.  That will only be recognised as a valid legal document that lets you claim a uk passport by the uk authorities.

Of course if you only intend to visit Europe as a tourist for a couple of weeks at a time then the issue will clearly not ariise.

Who is your MP?  They are clearly totally useless.  If he/she continues not to reply I would write to an MP of the same party for a neighbouring constituency.  Assuming that he is more efficient in dealing with correspondence (most MPs are very good with this) this is sure to embarass your MP into action.
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2005 at 2:02pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #17 - Aug 2nd, 2005 at 2:16pm

Quote:
I can't see how you will establish your right to permanent residence or even indefinite temporary residence in the other EU countries without a British passport.
You may be right, but a passport does not necessarily demonstrate status.

Quote:
If they admit you via your United States passport it will be on a tourist visa with a specific time restriction.  If you don't leave the country by the time the visa is up you will be in violation of their immigation rules.  Your birth certificate won't get you very far.  That will only be recognised as a valid legal document that lets you claim a uk passport by the uk authorities.
I'm not sure that your assertion is correct. As a British citizen, I have the legal right to enter the UK and stay for as long as I want. Period. I really do not know what would happen if I entered on a foreign passport and overstayed my time. How can a British citizen be deported? The UK birth certificate is the document I used to establish my citizenship for the purpose of obtaining a passport in the first place. Taking citizizenship of another country does not void the British citizenship I have. Anyway it's all irrelevant to me as the situation will not arise. It's also way off-topic!

Quote:
Who is your MP?  They are clearly totally useless.  If he/she continues not to reply I would write to an MP of the same party for a neighbouring constituency.  Assuming that he is more efficient in dealing with correspondence (most MPs are very good with this) this is sure to embarass your MP into action.
My MP is Jonathan Shaw. He has responded to me about 0870, but that was when I lived in Kent. I have to contact him through the parliamentary web form - not ideal as it wants postcode and address details and can't cope very well with foreign addresses, but I appear to have confirmation of delivery.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Aug 2nd, 2005 at 2:48pm

Quote:
I'm not sure that your assertion is correct. As a British citizen, I have the legal right to enter the UK and stay for as long as I want. Period. I really do not know what would happen if I entered on a foreign passport and overstayed my time.

I was referring to the position in another EU member state who could deport you if you did not posess a valid uk passport establishing your right of full abode in the UK.  The UK would not deport you for overstaying a visa on a US Passport but they might fine you for entering the country using the wrong document when your intention was to take up permanent uk residence again.

Quote:
How can a British citizen be deported? The UK birth certificate is the document I used to establish my citizenship for the purpose of obtaining a passport in the first place. Taking citizizenship of another country does not void the British citizenship I have.

Correct but you would not manage to stay in another EU country after your US Passport visa had expired without producing a British passport.  You could of course at that stage always produce your birth certificate at the local embassy to obtain a British passport.  You might even need to telephone the local embassy's information line. Wink

By the way the USA does quite often require those who want to acquire its nationality to give up their own original nationality to get it.  But I believe this is not a usual requirement for spouses of US citizens born in the USA.

Quote:
My MP is Jonathan Shaw. He has responded to me about 0870, but that was when I lived in Kent. I have to contact him through the parliamentary web form - not ideal as it wants postcode and address details and can't cope very well with foreign addresses, but I appear to have confirmation of delivery.

You could always email him instead using shawj@parliament.uk and cut out the parliamentary web form.  The only difference is you would mess up the statistics of the Parliamentary website as to what types of enquiry they were getting and from where.
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2005 at 2:49pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #19 - Aug 2nd, 2005 at 2:58pm

Quote:
I was referring to the position in another EU member state who could deport you if you did not posess a valid uk passport establishing your right of full abode in the UK.  The UK would not deport you for overstaying a visa on a US Passport but they might fine you for entering the country using the wrong document when your intention was to take up permanent uk residence again.

Correct but you would not manage to stay in another EU country after your US Passport visa had expired without producing a British passport.  You could of course at that stage always produce your birth certificate at the local embassy to obtain a British passport.  You might even need to telephone the local embassy's information line. Wink

By the way the USA does quite often require those who want to acquire its nationality to give up their own original nationality to get it.  But I believe this is not a usual requirement for spouses of US citizens born in the USA.

You could always email him instead using shawj@parliament.uk and cut out the parliamentary web form.  The only difference is you would mess up the statistics of the Parliamentary website as to what types of enquiry they were getting and from where.
All persons undergoing naturalization to become US citizens are *required* by law under oath, to renounce their former citizenship. There is no exception to this for spouses. However, United Kingdom law does not recognize this renouncement of  British citizenship (it has to be done by another means), so a person may have dual US/UK citizenship. There is an excellent article at http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html if you are interested.

Thanks for the e-mail address of the MP - I will try this out and see what happens.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Aug 2nd, 2005 at 3:10pm

Quote:
Thanks for the e-mail address of the MP - I will try this out and see what happens.

That is the standard parliamentary email address format but it might not work if (a) he has chosen not to activate his parliamentary email account as is true of about 100 MPs or (b) there was another shawj who was already an employee or an MP at the time your MP was elected.  If that is the case I suppose he might be shawj2@parliament.uk or something.  Why they can't support firstname.lastname@parliament.uk is beyond me but it is a very old and clunky website that reflects its non commercial civil servant led nature.

If the email account shawj@parliament.uk does not exist you will get a bounce back.  As this is August don't expect an instant response though.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #21 - Aug 2nd, 2005 at 3:24pm

Quote:
That is the standard parliamentary email address format but it might not work if (a) he has chosen not to activate his parliamentary email account as is true of about 100 MPs or (b) there was another shawj who was already an employee or an MP at the time your MP was elected.  If that is the case I suppose he might be shawj2@parliament.uk or something.  Why they can't support firstname.lastname@parliament.uk is beyond me but it is a very old and clunky website that reflects its non commercial civil servant led nature.

If the email account shawj@parliament.uk does not exist you will get a bounce back.  As this is August don't expect an instant response though.
Thanks - useful information.

(OT)

You may be interested to see how accessible one public official here is - the Mayor of New York City.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/07/15/wny15.xml&sSheet...

<<
Michael Bloomberg, the mayor of New York, has scored a public relations coup by taking a telephone call at home at night from a woman seeking help with a housing problem. The billionaire mayor recently received a call at 10.15pm at his Upper East Side house from a Brooklyn teacher on behalf of her 94-year-old aunt, who was facing eviction.

Mr Bloomberg, 63, whose home number is listed by directory inquiries, stopped the threatened eviction. "I said, 'Mayor Bloomberg, is that you? I'm sorry I'm calling so late','' said Sheila Powsner, 55. "He just said, 'Oh, please call this number and I'll take care of it'.''

Mr Bloomberg said: "I work for the people - that's part of my job."
>>

MPs and Ofcom could learn something from the last line above.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #22 - Aug 2nd, 2005 at 3:46pm

Quote:
If the email account shawj@parliament.uk does not exist you will get a bounce back.  As this is August don't expect an instant response though.

Or September.

Or the first half of October.

In fact, not at all until the honourable members return from their 80-day summer recess,

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Aug 2nd, 2005 at 4:11pm

Actually you will find that Parliament is in London and many have constituencies in Wales, Yorkshire and Scotland.  They don't spend all summer on holiday but take just 2 or 3 weeks on holiday and then attend lots of events etc in their constituencies.  If Parliament wasn't in recess for about 16 weeks a year I imagine there would be a lot more divorces and a lot more unhappy constituents who never saw their MPs.

MPs have secretaries and if a secretary is on holiday another temporary secretary or a research assistant takes over to provide cover.  They don't ignore your correspondence just because it is the summer.

I would suggest that a much cushier job than being an MP is being an overpaid and publicly unaccountable director of Ofcom.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #24 - Aug 2nd, 2005 at 6:54pm

NGM I am not sure that what you suggested about idb loosing his British citizenship is true. I believe if you do not renew your British passport you do not loose your right to a British passport and to British Nationality when you have had it, (just as you are not compelled to renew your passport all of the time when living in the UK). You still have British citizenship and the UK government does not prohibit dual nationality. However I am not sure that the US government does not prohibit it in which case idb would possibly loose it if he applies for US citizenship.

I would agree though that it would not be sensible to let his British passport expire without renewing it, since it is always useful to have dual citizenship and two passports. However the other issue idb needs to consider is the US attitude to worldwide income and taxation. It is I believe more invasive and more draconian for US citizens than that of the UK?
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2005 at 4:43pm by dorf »  

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Aug 2nd, 2005 at 7:15pm

Quote:
NGM I am not sure that what you suggested about idb loosing his British citizenship is true. I believe if you do not renew your British passport you do not loose your right to a British passport and to British Nationaility when you have had it, (just as you are not compelled to renew your passport all of the time when living in the UK). You still have British citizenship and the UK government does not prohibit dual nationality.

Dorf,

I think the intensity of my debate on this issue with idb may have in fact left you confused.

I never suggested that not having a passport or not renewing one deprived you of the right to British nationality or residence (a large percentage of the uk population still do not have a passport).  I only said you would lose your right of permanent abode in the other EU countries without a valid uk passport.  I also said that if idb didn't renew his British passport and then re-entered the country on his American passport that he would probably be committing an offence for which he might be fined but clealry he couldn't be deported since one does not require a passport to reside in the UK.  One does require it to reside in the rest of the EU though.

As for the complexities of obtaining US citizenship while retaining British citizenship that is all laid out in the little article to which idb provided the link:-

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html

I knew an American lady married to a British citizen about 15 years ago who did not take British citizenship because the Americans would then have made her give up her US passport.  But clearly things have moved on since then and the Americans now seem to take the view that once you have obtained US citizenship it is  now quite hard to lose it, even if you were not born in the country.

I hope that clarifies the position.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #26 - Aug 2nd, 2005 at 7:16pm

Quote:
I would agree though that it would not be sensible to let his British passport expire without renewing it, since it is always useful to have dual citizenship and two passports.

Couldn't agree more.

My sister-in-law has dual British/Spanish nationality and has Passports and Driving Licences from each.  She also has a Spanish I.D. card - allowing Europe-wide travel without using either Passport!

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #27 - Aug 2nd, 2005 at 7:17pm

Quote:
NGM I am not sure that what you suggested about idb loosing his British citizenship is true. I believe if you do not renew your British passport you do not loose your right to a British passport and to British Nationaility when you have had it, (just as you are not compelled to renew your passport all of the time when living in the UK). You still have British citizenship and the UK government does not prohibit dual nationality. However I am not sure that the US government does not prohibit it in which case idb would possibly loose it if he applies for US citizenship.

I would agree though that it would not be sensible to let his British passport expire without renewing it, since it is always useful to have dual citizenship and two passports. However the other issue idb needs to consider is the US attitude to worldwide income and taxation. It is I believe more invasive and more draconian for US citizens than that of the UK?
Much of what you say is correct - nationality is not dependent on having a passport. Most Americans, for example, do not have passports. British nationality is usually either obtained through birth, through a relative's birth, through naturalization, or possibly by some other means such as colonial legacy.

The UK is perfectly happy with dual citizenship, as is the US. On naturalization in the US, one is required to renounce any other citizenship, however the UK does not recognize such renouncement as valid.

You are correct about the taxation system here - the IRS requirements for filing tax returns on both citizens and residents are far stricter than in the UK and does, as you state, include income from anywhere. The actual detail is, however, complex!

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #28 - Aug 3rd, 2005 at 4:41pm

NGM, OK I accept what you say. Perhaps I did misinterpret your earlier post somewhat.

OK idb, so essentially you do agree.

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #29 - Aug 4th, 2005 at 5:25pm

This article probably helps to explain why the FCO is so incompetent:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4745467.stm

<<
Foreign Office management d4mned

The Foreign Office is over-staffed, inefficient and resistant to change, according to a report ordered by the department itself. The damning consultants' report says one in 13 staff at the Foreign Office could be axed.

It says: "The entire organisation needs to be challenged and reformed but the leadership lacks the skills needed and the will to upset the status quo."

The Foreign Office says it has already acted on the report's recommendations.

The report was brought into public view by Labour MP Andrew Mackinlay, who had it placed in the House of Commons library.

"It is a devastating report, showing systematic poor management, lack of accountability and bureaucracy by the Sir Humphreys and Terry Thomas-type characters who still occupy the top echelons of the Foreign Office," said the MP. [...]

It goes on: "Employees are seen as generalists so that a lack of professional competence or experience in (say) finance or human resources (or even in specific political or diplomatic skills) is accepted even where it acts as a significant drag on the effectiveness of a department."

[...]
>>

« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2005 at 5:25pm by idb »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge