Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ofcom NTS Focus Group - 11 July 2005 (Read 41,888 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: Ofcom NTS Focus Group - 11 July 2005
Reply #15 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 8:36pm

Quote:
So why should 0845 service providers who don't want to charge over the odds have to move to another number, but those on  0870 who will "do without" the revenue sharing can continue without changing number?

Because leaving 0845 charges as is wouldn't cause any disruption at all to the unethical extraction of revenue from mainly elderly people by dialup ISPs who charge them £1.80 per hour to connect to the internet in the weekday daytime.  Far better to let millions of telecoms consumers be overcharged for their 0845 voice calls than to let a single member of the telco bretheren lose a pennypiece in revenue.  The fact that 0845 may now cost more than 0870 doesn't matter to bandy kneed Ofcom.  What matters is that no telco should ever give up a single penny piece of revenue it had before.

As for the 0870 changes they are a sham as surely you don't expect a single uk 0870 call centre operator to give up the current weekday daytime 7.51p per minute.  It is obvious that to a man they will all now just have a call announcement saying calls cost 7.51p per minute and they will then go to endless lengths to block any incoming calls to their geographic number not routed to it by the NTS call forwarding number.

I believe Matt Peacock said Ofcom were going to "suggest" these people all publish their geographic number as well but I am sure that this suggestion will be taken about as seriously by the call centres as any customer's suggestion that they stop using an 0870 number.

IP Logged

Graham

Reply #16 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 11:02am

Assuming all this becomes the final proposal . . .

I presume it would be the call originating telephone carrier who has to make the call charge announcement, if the call cost is different on 0870 from normal geographic calls, so that the caller has the option to discontinue the call before it is connected.

If this is the case then a lot depends on which way BT would go (either call cost announcement or no difference from geographic call costs) as many of the CPS companies would probably follow their lead.

I would have though that it is in BT's interest to get to a state where they can include 0870 in their inclusive call packages as they will then sell this package to more consumers (at least to those who don't know about or don't want to change to other carriers). So that would mean no call cost announcement on 0870 and no call cost difference for BT customers.

In time, of course, all the companies will switch to 0871 and 0844.

I don't think any present users of 0870 will switch to 0845 - much better, from their point of view, to switch to 0844 to get the constant revenue rate 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2005 at 11:03am by Graham »  

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #17 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 3:45pm

I have difficulty, as a VERY technical and experienced person, understanding how this proposal could possibly ever be implemented, when one of the things which Ofcom have never done is to enforce any common cost for any NGN calls regardless of carrier? There are manifold call carriers now out there, and some of these calls (such as with 18866, 1899 and 3U) may be partly routed outside the UK in the course of arriving at a UK NGN destination.

For a receiving subscriber's or call centre system to automatically determine all within in a few milliseconds exactly which carriers have been involved in an NTS call over its routeing and thus what the rate of charge to the caller would be for that call if it is a revenue-sharing scenario or not, and to then automatically announce this BEFORE any premium charging if applicable commences I believe demonstrates blind unrealism and a complete failure to even begin to understand the total mess and manifold variables which now exist as a direct result. It would not be feasible for the originating carrier to make this announcement since until the call is switched to the final subscriber it would not be known whether this was to be a revenue-generating call or not!

If there were one enforced charge rate for each NGN then it might be feasible - otherwise it looks like nirs2 and the proposed biometric ID system all over again! (see today's issue of Computing).
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2005 at 4:02pm by dorf »  

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 6:06pm

Quote:
There are manifold call carriers now out there, and some of these calls (such as with 18866, 1899 and 3U) may be partly routed outside the UK in the course of arriving at a UK NGN destination.

If there were one enforced charge rate for each NGN then it might be feasible - otherwise it looks like nirs2 and the proposed biometric ID system all over again! (see today's issue of Computing).

Dorf,

Forgive me if I have missed something glaringly obvious but don't 1899 and 18866 make call price announcements for all the destinations they carry calls to and don't those destinations include 0845 and 0870?

So if two call companies operating on almost no pofit margin at all can afford to make these announcements, and know what the call price is when they make the announcement, then why can't the rest of the call carrying companies?

All that is required is for these companies to assess what price they need to charge in order to consisently make a profit when carrying calls to 084x and 087x numbers and charge a price that ensures this will happen.  Of course this may well be by why 18866 needs to charge 9p per minute instead of 7.5p per minute for carrying a call to an 0870 number  It may also be why 18866 doesn't carry calls at all to 0844 and 0871 numbers.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2005 at 6:07pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #19 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 6:24pm

NGN,

You have a very good point.  Both Call18866/1899 do carry tariff notifications at the beginning of each call (which can be turned on or off by their customers - us) and like you say still manage to do this on what must be a lower profit margin.

Now I don't know how sophisticated their equipment is but I'm guessing its not at all that sophisticated (ie. expensive) for them to only charge 2p per call.

BT and the other networks once they implement this could also do a feature like *#1234# turns it on and something similar turns it off.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2005 at 6:28pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 7:33pm

Quote:
BT and the other networks once they implement this could also do a feature like *#1234# turns it on and something similar turns it off.

But of course the charging announcement should be turned on by default unless the account owner specifially chooses to turn it off using the PIN number that BT will I hope require to be used to do this.

This same PIN number could be used to turn on access to 09 calls costing more than 19p per minute and in this case the default should be that access is turned off.  Although of course some of BT's call prices for international calls (especially international mobiles) are so alarmingly high that its hard to know just what should be turned on and what should be turned off by default.

One alarming aspect of the whole 07/08/09 NGN revenue share game is that it is bound to hinder progress to true Voip calling identities in place of phone numbers, because making such a move might mean loss of revenue for the company currently using an NGN service.  As I said call centres are going to be the last people in the uk to implement voip calling identies instead of phone numbers.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #21 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 8:02pm

I think you have missed the point that if these proposals were put into place not all 0870 calls would be revenue sharing. Thus those which were not would not require any announcement. However those which were would require an announcement.

I believe that to accomplish this therefore would require system data feedback to determine whether or not the call was a revenue sharing call at termination if the announcement was to be made by the originating carrying telco. Where the carrying route was across continents this could become very complicated. If the announcement was to be made by the receiving carrier it would be equally complicated. I believe you are missing the element of complication introduced into this system by the variable of "revenue sharing call or not?".

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 8:50pm

Quote:
I believe that to accomplish this therefore would require system data feedback to determine whether or not the call was a revenue sharing call at termination if the announcement was to be made by the originating carrying telco. Where the carrying route was across continents this could become very complicated. If the announcement was to be made by the receiving carrier it would be equally complicated. I believe you are missing the element of complication introduced into this system by the variable of "revenue sharing call or not?".

Dorf this seems to be Ofcom and the Telcos problem to sort out and not ours.  The Telcos have special privileged access to Ofcom at the NTS focus groups which the rest of us do not enjoy.  Therefore I am sure that they can thrash this out there and come up with a solution.  Since Ofcom have proposed this solution, based on talks with the telcos, the solution must surely be capable of being implemented.  I would have thought a database could be set up that would hold the relevant information for the telcos.

I believe that how the call is routed is irrelevant as it is where it terminated and the amount charged by the terminating call party that determines the price.  Surely so long as a database exists that indicates who is the terminating call party for any specific 0870 number then it is easy to determine the call cost before the number is dialled.

British Gas do not know how much it is going to cost them to buy gas every day of the week but their occasionally revised customer tariff charges a price adequate to let them make a profit regardless of daily fluctuations in wholesale gas prices.  Similarly under the new arrangements your telco will not charge you a different price to an 0870 number every day of the week depending how it routes.  They will instead charge a price that lets them make a profit with all calls to that terminating call party and on some days they will make more profit out of what you are paying them and on some days less.

But of course it is too complicated.  The simple solution was make all 0870 and 0845 calls priced at geographic rates, except for legacy 0845 ISP numbers that would be charged at the old BT standard rates (no new dialup ISPs could set up on these old 0845 numbers).  And then 0871 and 0844 would become a another 09 prefixed set of numbers regulated by ICSTIS.  All ICSTIS regulated numbers would then have price announcements in place in this consumer centric solution.

Ofcom's solution seems to deliberately rely on making things so complicated that the public won't understand it all and so the lie will be able to continue that 0870 numbers are supposedly ordinary national rate calls, even though many will not be.  Surely you can see that the whole point of the new arrangements is precisely so that Jo Public will find it all too difficult to cope with.  Whilst at the same time good old Ofcom will have been seen to have done something.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #23 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 11:19pm

NGM, Indeed it would be Ofcom's problem to sort it out as you say, but my point is that I do not believe that they fully understand what would be involved in implementing this proposed scenario, for sometimes 0870 calls to be charged as GNs and at other times for them to be charged as Premium (revenue-sharing) calls.

I do not agree that what you claim, that it is ".....where it is terminated and the amount charged by the terminating call party that determines the price...". The very reason that different originating carriers charge different rates for these calls and that Ofcom have done nothing to regulate the cost or maximum cost which may be charged for these calls is indicative of this not being true!

The routeing only becomes important as I have attempted to explain if there is a decision to allow some 0870 calls to be carried at GN costs and others to be carried at current Premium rates. This is because of the resulting need then for data feedback to specify whether the call is being carried at a normal GN rate or at a Premuim rate. That can only be indicated at the call temination, never by the originating carrier. This is the nub of the problem.

I believe once Ofcom have these problems explained to them technically by the telcos who would have the problem of implementing this complexity, they will accept that this type of solution is not economically feasible and it will be changed.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2005 at 11:20pm by dorf »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 11:34pm

Looks like no reversion of 0870 to national rate then and instead just settling for some call price announcements.  Then they could also have call price announcements on 0845 too and they wouldn't end up making 0845 being more expensive than many 0870 numbers which really would be a public relations disaster on Ofcom's part.

But actually it would be possible for the Telcos to know what the price is going to be in advance for 0870 numbers.  How else do you think different rates are charged on different 0844 numbers and different 0871 numbers, all of which begin with the same code.  The only reason that many of BT's competitors charge more than BT for 0870 calls is because Ofcom changed the rules a while ago to let BT charge its competitors more for terminating an 0870 call than it charges itself (Ofcom called this competition!).

When you dial an 0870 number the billing platform of your service provider knows in a trice how and to where it is going to be routed and there is time to give you a call price announcement before your call is connected.

The one problem area with call price announcements are automated switchboards that answer the call straight away and have no ringing time.  With many of these numbers 18866 and 1899 don't manage to give you a call price announcement before the number answers.  But as most of these switchboards are 0870 numbers I of course never use 18866 to call them and indeed these days I hardly call any 0870 numbers.

Although I am thinking of trying to see if I can win the TalkTalk £500 challenge by making £5 worth of calls in a month to just 0870 and 0845 numbers and routing all my other calls with 18866.  That should leave me with a TalkTalk monthly bill where BT would be cheaper and so I would win the challenge!!

IP Logged

Graham

Reply #25 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 11:53pm

Unfortunately talk-talk have already though of your idea, condition 5 says:

5 The challenge is not open to anyone who is not currently a customer of TalkTalk or to customers who have more than one line, and excludes calls to the internet, 0870, 0845 or premium rate numbers.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #26 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 11:53pm

Quote:
Although I am thinking of trying to see if I can win the TalkTalk £500 challenge by making £5 worth of calls in a month to just 0870 and 0845 numbers and routing all my other calls with 18866.  That should leave me with a TalkTalk monthly bill where BT would be cheaper and so I would win the challenge!!

Well, that has made my day. Away to dream happily of a properly regulated world   Smiley

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 12:45am

Quote:
Well, that has made my day. Away to dream happily of a properly regulated world   Smiley

Are you saying this is an unwinnable challenge Tanllan?  Then how are TalkTalk allowed to offer it.

By the way how are you getting on with that Riiing SIM card.  Letting friends make a call to you on your mobile anywhere in Europe for only 4p a minute and and with it costing you nothing at all to receive the call.  Now that's what I call a real saving.

EDIT
by NonGeographicalMan The contents of the original version of this section of the post have been removed as they were causing an employee of Ofcom personal distress.  Whilst I am still sharply critical of the regulatory effectivness of Ofcom over the NTS issue and over several other issues I would not wish to cause unnecessary offence in this manner.
END EDIT
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2005 at 8:48pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 1:24am

Quote:
Unfortunately talk-talk have already though of your idea, condition 5 says:

5 The challenge is not open to anyone who is not currently a customer of TalkTalk or to customers who have more than one line, and excludes calls to the internet, 0870, 0845 or premium rate numbers.

The current Talk Talk conditions seem to be different from the ones your quote.  Clause 4.8 says only "Any customer who receives their Services from any third party operating under license from Talk Talk is excluded from the TalkTalk £1,000 Challenge (also known as the £1,000 Guarantee).  Any calls made using International Access are excludes from the TalkTalk £1,000 Challenge.  Customers of our indirect access services (whether under the "Talk Now" brand or otherwise) are not able to make or receive Eligibile Calls and are therefore excluded from participating in Free Calls"

I can find no other reference to rules governing the £1,000 challenge in TalkTalk's current Terms and Conditions.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 1:37am

ok found the specific terms and conditions of the £1,000 challenge now at:-

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/servlet/gben-voice-PageServer?ARTICLE=GUARANT...

Clause 5 says:- The challenge is not open to anyone who is not currently a customer of TalkTalk or to customers who have more than one line, and excludes calls to the internet, 0870, 0845 or premium rate numbers

So what about 0844 and 0871 then?  They aren't premium rate within the normal definition.  Or will TalkTalk always charge the same as BT for 0844 and 0871 as the call rate is set by the terminating telecoms network.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, DaveM, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge