Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 32
Send Topic Print
Parliamentary update (Read 501,344 times)
idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Re: Parliamentary update
Reply #375 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 1:27am

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 12 Jan 2009 (pt 0087)

Departmental Telephone Services

Mike Penning: To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport how many telephone numbers for which callers are charged at the rate applicable to 0845 numbers are used by (a) his Department and (b) its executive agencies for public access to services. [246988]

Andy Burnham: Neither the Department nor The Royal Parks use 0845 numbers.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #376 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 1:29am

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 12 Jan 2009 (pt 0081)

Mike Penning: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport how many telephone numbers for which callers are charged at the rate applicable to 0845 numbers are used by (a) his Department and (b) its executive agencies for public access to services. [246983]

Mr. Hoon: The Department for Transport has one 0845 number, the Executive Agencies have three.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #377 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 2:30am

idb wrote on Jan 15th, 2009 at 1:26am:
House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 12 Jan 2009 (pt 0069)

Mike Penning: To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer how many telephone numbers for which callers are charged at the rate applicable to 0845 numbers are used by (a) his Department and (b) its Executive agencies for public access to services. [246982]

Angela Eagle: HM Treasury does not use 0845 numbers.

The UK Debt Management Office has 17 0845 telephone numbers that appear on its website and are therefore generally available for use by callers. Their purpose is business continuity-related.

This demonstrates a familiar trick used when giving written ministerial answers.

HM Revenue and Customs, with its host of 0845 numbers, is neither part of HM Treasury nor is it an Executive Agency.

Everybody knows what Mr Penning was after, but he has to phrase his question more carefully to get the answer that he wants.

Look out for similar tricks in other answers to this sort of question, and see how the clever questioner avoids them. There are many examples in this thread.

These written answer paperchases are not delivering the goods. We need an inquiry by the Public Administration Committee into the use of revenue sharing numbers by all public bodies accountable to parliament (including non-departmental bodies for which ministers are not directly accountable). This could collect all the data, hear the attempted justifications and produce a report recommending a wholesale adoption of 03 numbers (where non-geographic numbers are required). The government would be required to reply to such a report and it would provide a basis for putting pressure on each minister who fails to act.

Each Committee decides what it is to look into for itself. I would therefore urge all members to put pressure on members of this Committee and all concerned MPs, who could do the same.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #378 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 11:54am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 15th, 2009 at 2:30am:
These written answer paperchases are not delivering the goods. We need an inquiry by the Public Administration Committee into the use of revenue sharing numbers by all public bodies accountable to parliament (including non-departmental bodies for which ministers are not directly accountable). This could collect all the data, hear the attempted justifications and produce a report recommending a wholesale adoption of 03 numbers (where non-geographic numbers are required). The government would be required to reply to such a report and it would provide a basis for putting pressure on each minister who fails to act.

So are you producing your usual briefing notes for members of the Public Administration Committee in order to try and bring this about SCV?

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #379 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 12:53pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 15th, 2009 at 11:54am:
So are you producing your usual briefing notes for members of the Public Administration Committee in order to try and bring this about SCV?

Yes. I draw attention to the need for such an inquiry whenever a specific case comes into public view.

For a select committee to pick up on an issue, committee members have to be aware of widely felt concern about an issue, and share it. If, as we believe, there are a lot of constitutents concerned about this issue then it is important that this concern comes to the attention of committee members, probably through the respective MPs. Formal representations can be made directly to a committee, however I understand that the weight of concern amongst MPs is an important factor in determining prioirites amongst the many issues that could be covered in each session.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #380 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 2:15am

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 13 Jan 2009 (pt 0005)

Mike Penning: To ask the Minister of State, Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform how many telephone numbers for which callers are charged at the rate applicable to 0845 numbers are used by (a) his Department and (b) its executive agencies for public access to services. [246991]

Mr. McFadden: From the central records available there are seven 0845 telephone numbers services administered by the Department for public use.

I have asked the chief executives of the Department's agencies to respond directly to the hon. Member.

Letter from Gareth Jones, dated 13 January 2009:

I am responding on behalf of Companies House to your recently tabled Parliamentary Question to the Minister of State for Business Enterprise and Regulatory Reform.

Companies House has one 0845 number, (0845 757 3991), used as first-line support for customers using the Companies House Direct search service.

Letter from Stephen Speed, dated 13 January 2009:

The Minister of State, Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform has asked me to reply to your question (2008/446), how many telephone numbers for which callers are charged at the rate applicable to 0845 numbers are used by (a) his Department and (b) its executive agencies for public access to services.

The Insolvency Service has three 0845 lines. These are; The Insolvency Service Enquiry Line, The Redundancy Payments Helpline and The Enforcement Hotline.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #381 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 2:16am

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 13 Jan 2009 (pt 0017)

Mike Penning: To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government how many telephone numbers for which callers are charged at the rate applicable to 0845 numbers are used by (a) her Department and (b) its executive agencies for public access to services. [246989]

Mr. Khan: Communities and Local Government and its agencies do not require the public to make telephone calls on numbers which charge more than the national rate. The only 0845 number used is the Neighbourhood Renewal helpline (0845 0828383). However, calls to this number are diverted to the main Communities and Local Government switchboard and are charged at a local rate to the caller.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #382 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 2:17am

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 13 Jan 2009 (pt 0009)

Mike Penning: To ask the Secretary of State for Wales how many telephone numbers for which callers are charged at the rate applicable to 0845 numbers are used by his Department for public access to services. [246981]

Mr. Paul Murphy: None.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #383 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 2:20am

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 13 Jan 2009 (pt 0002)

Culture, Media and Sport

Mr. Graham Stuart: To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport what use (a) his Department and (b) service providers under contract to his Department make of (i) 0844 and 0845 telephone numbers and (ii) revenue-sharing telephone numbers for calls from members of the public; for which services such numbers are used; what prefixes are used for revenue-sharing numbers; how much revenue has accrued from revenue-sharing numbers in each of the last five years; what consideration his Department has given to introducing 03-prefixed telephone numbers for calls to all such services; and if he will make a statement. [247338]

Mr. Sutcliffe: My Department does not operate any public service 0844/0845 numbers.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #384 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 3:34am

This is one of the best.

idb wrote on Jan 16th, 2009 at 2:16am:
Mr. Khan: Communities and Local Government and its agencies do not require the public to make telephone calls on numbers which charge more than the national rate.

The only 0845 number used is the Neighbourhood Renewal helpline (0845 0828383).

However, calls to this number are diverted to the main Communities and Local Government switchboard

and are charged at a local rate to the caller.

Grin  Grin  Grin  Cry

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #385 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 11:19pm

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 15 Jan 2009 (pt 0017)

Mike Penning: To ask the Secretary of State for Innovation, Universities and Skills how many telephone numbers for which callers are charged at the rate applicable to 0845 numbers are used by (a) his Department and (b) its executive agencies for public access to services. [246977]

Mr. Simon: The Department does not offer any 0845 numbers.

The Department is responsible for two agencies: National Weights and Measures Laboratory and the UK Intellectual Property Office.

National Weights and Measures Laboratory does not offer any telephone numbers for which callers are charged at the rate applicable to 0845 numbers for public access to services.

UK Intellectual Property Office offers three 0845 numbers. The caller incurs a local rate charge which is set by their service provider.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #386 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 11:20pm

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 15 Jan 2009 (pt 0011)

Mike Penning: To ask the Secretary of State for Justice how many telephone numbers for which callers are charged at the rate applicable to 0845 numbers are used by (a) his Department and (b) its executive agencies for public access to services. [246986]

Mr. Wills: The Department, and its agencies, use 42 0845 telephone numbers to provide a range of services to the public. These include IT support for online enquiries, customer service inquiries, contact with the jury summoning office and a small number of courts.

The 0845 numbers were introduced because, at the time, calls from anywhere in the UK were charged at a local rate making it cheaper for people to make contact rather than using the exchange number. With the expansion of the telecommunications markets, call charges are now set by the individual phone companies, often as part of wider service packages. The charges vary, and are outside the control of the Department. Where possible, customers are also given the exchange number, as depending on the individual inquirer's telephone plane, 0845 may not now be the cheapest option.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #387 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 11:21pm

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 15 Jan 2009 (pt 0016)

Mr. Graham Stuart: To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government what use (a) her Department and (b) service providers under contract to her Department make of (i) 0844 and 0845 telephone numbers and (ii) revenue-sharing telephone numbers for calls from members of the public; for which services such numbers are used; what prefixes are used for revenue-sharing numbers; how much revenue has accrued from revenue-sharing numbers in each of the last five years; what consideration her Department has given to introducing 03-prefixed telephone numbers for calls to all such services; and if she will make a statement. [247337]

Mr. Khan: Communities and Local Government do not require the public to make telephone calls on numbers which charge more than the national rate. Neither Communities and Local Government or its service provider (Siemens) generate any income from calls. The only 0845 number used is the Neighbourhood Renewal helpline (0845 0828383). However, calls to this number are diverted to the main Communities and Local Government switchboard and are charged at a local rate to the caller. Later this year, CLG will introduce the new 0300 number range when it commences a new contractual telephony arrangement.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #388 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 11:23pm

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 15 Jan 2009 (pt 0013)

Mike Penning: To ask the Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families how many telephone numbers for which callers are charged at the rate applicable to 0845 numbers are used by his Department for public access to services. [246990]

Sarah McCarthy-Fry: The Department currently has five services, accessible to the public, which operate using telephone numbers with the 0845 prefix: the Headship Information Line; the DCSF publications helpline, Prolog; the Fast Track Teachers Programme Support and recruitment team helplines; and the National Strategies Customer Service Helpdesk.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #389 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 11:25pm

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 15 Jan 2009 (pt 0001)

Mike Penning: To ask the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster how many telephone numbers for which callers are charged at the rate applicable to 0845 numbers are used by (a) his Department and (b) its executive agencies for public access to services. [246974]

Mr. Watson: I refer the hon. Member to the answer I gave my hon. Friend the Member for Wolverhampton, South-West (Rob Marris) on 29 January 2008, Official Report, column 248W.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 32
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge