Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32
Send Topic Print
Parliamentary update (Read 500,802 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Parliamentary update
Reply #420 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 11:38pm

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200809/cmpublic/welfare/090303/pm/903...

3 March 2009
Public Bill Committee
Debate on Welfare Reform Bill

[…]

Paul Rowen: […]

The next provision is about monitoring the process. I know that it is common practice for Government Departments and bodies such as Jobcentre Plus to monitor and record phone calls. From my experience of dealing with such issues, recording such calls has made it possible to resolve disputes, so we want that to happen. One slight change is something that I feel strongly about—the use of 0845 numbers. Currently, people who need to phone up to get information about their benefits spend disproportionate amounts of money getting through. The Government are reviewing the use of freefone and 0845 numbers, but the new clause states that such phone calls should be free, so that exercising a claim or dealing with a query does not cost the claimant any money.

[…]

John Robertson: […]

I would like to emphasise the point about those 0845 numbers. As somebody who has worked in the communications business all his life and as chair of the all-party communications group since 2002, I have come across many cases of people who have been ripped off by those numbers. It is important that the Minister allays my fears on this. It is a disgrace that any Government body would use 0845 numbers, particularly when calls from mobiles cost a lot more. The people we try to protect the most are the poor, who are the most inclined to have top-up mobiles. It therefore costs even more for them to phone those telephone numbers. I would look at that.

[…]

Tony McNulty: […]

I take the point that my hon. Friend the Member for Glasgow, North-West made about 0845 numbers, and I believe in the review. I am told—he can tell me later from his telecommunications and telephony experience—that the last nut to crack is 0845 numbers called from mobiles, rather than landlines, and that, with existing technology, one can either continue to offer that service or not—there is no third technological option whereby one can offer the service for free. However, we are exploring the issue, because I agree with the premise of the charter and my hon. Friend’s suggestion that, if people need access to information by phone—mobile or otherwise—from Jobcentre Plus, it should be free. Some customers have said that for routine, snappy information, such as the time of interview and so on, they would far rather receive a quick text. That makes perfect sense, but, by a literal interpretation of the charter, that could not happen, because it says that if they cannot obtain the service by telephone, with all that that implies about telephony being vocal, they can demand a face-to-face service. However, a little text would do, so we cannot draw the provision too narrowly.

[…]

Paul Rowen: As I said, the purpose of the new clause was to stimulate discussion. I am particularly grateful for the Minister’s remarks and sentiments about 0845 numbers, because that is something that I know that the hon. Member for Glasgow, North-West also feels strongly about. I look forward to the Department’s continuing work to establish rights and responsibilities through a charter. I beg to ask leave to withdraw the motion.
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2009 at 11:45pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #421 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 12:16am

Dave wrote on Apr 6th, 2009 at 11:38pm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_mcnulty

Expenses controversy

In March 2009, he admitted claiming expenses on a second home, occupied by his parents, which was 8 miles away from his primary residence, after details appeared in the Mail on Sunday.[2] McNulty asserted that the claim was appropriate, but he has ceased claiming the allowances.

Top bloke.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #422 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 1:43am

House of Commons Hansard Debates for 13 Mar 2009 (pt 0012)

[...]

Astonishing changes are contained in the review; because we started with a blank sheet, it did not have the flavour of clinicians just saying, “This is what we need to do, because we are going to save money this way. The service will then be better.” Often I am sure that that is true, but we addressed the issues that were really important to people. We examined the expensive 0844 numbers to which many GP services have signed up; we were committed to examining how to ensure that people do not have to pay too much to contact their valuable GP services. We wanted to find a way to re-establish good links between Crawley and East Surrey hospital—there used to be a shuttle bus, but sadly it was withdrawn by the acute trust at the time, and that made people extremely angry. The review accepted that that change made people angry, and brought everyone around the table, including the trust, the borough council and county council, to discuss how to re-establish a decent link between the towns in the area and the acute hospital that serves the most-ill patients.

[...]

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #423 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 1:45am

Questions for Oral or Written Answer
beginning on Wednesday 1 April 2009
(the 'Questions Book')

Part 1: Written Questions for Answer on
Wednesday 1 April 2009

Martin Salter (Reading West): To ask the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, what information his Department holds on the number of Government departments and agencies which require people to dial a premium rate number to contact them; what plans the Government has to replace such use of 0845 numbers with numbers that charge a local or national rate; and if he will make a statement.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #424 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 1:46am

Questions for Oral or Written Answer
beginning on Tuesday 24 March 2009
(the 'Questions Book')

Part 1: Written Questions for Answer on
Tuesday 24 March 2009

Andrew Selous (South West Bedfordshire): To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, for what reasons his Department decided to use an 0845 telephone number for queries from applicants for employment and support allowance; what alternatives there are to the service; and if he will make a statement.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #425 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 3:39am

Quote:
I am told—he can tell me later from his telecommunications and telephony experience—that the last nut to crack is 0845 numbers called from mobiles, rather than landlines, and that, with existing technology, one can either continue to offer that service or not—there is no third technological option whereby one can offer the service for free.

So in addition to fiddling his Parliamentary expenses the useless Tony McNulty is still claiming not to have heard of 03 numbers despite them now having existed for over 18 months and now being in widespread everyday use by UK councils and Police forces. Shocked Angry Smiley

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #426 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 12:34pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Apr 7th, 2009 at 3:39am:
Quote:
I am told—he can tell me later from his telecommunications and telephony experience—that the last nut to crack is 0845 numbers called from mobiles, rather than landlines, and that, with existing technology, one can either continue to offer that service or not—there is no third technological option whereby one can offer the service for free.

So in addition to fiddling his Parliamentary expenses the useless Tony McNulty is still claiming not to have heard of 03 numbers despite them now having existed for over 18 months and now being in widespread everyday use by UK councils and Police forces. Shocked Angry Smiley

Indeed. This is going from one extreme to the other!

Will DWP be offering free public transport to get to Jobcentres in the same way in would like to introduce free phone calls?

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #427 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 12:49pm

Dave wrote on Apr 7th, 2009 at 12:34pm:
Indeed. This is going from one extreme to the other!

Will DWP be offering free public transport to get to Jobcentres in the same way in would like to introduce free phone calls?

Well actually as they make it compulsory to go to the JobCentre every two weeks to sign on to obtain a very meagre level of benefit they surely ought to pay travelling allowance to anyone who lives more than say a mile from the JobCentre.  Otherwise this is clearly unfair to people who live further away from the JobCentre.

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #428 - May 3rd, 2009 at 9:41pm

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 17 Mar 2009 (pt 0015)

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200809/cmhansrd/cm090317/text/90317w0...

Departmental Telephone Services

Mike Penning: To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions pursuant to the answer of 4 March 2009, Official Report, column 1613W, on departmental telephone services, how much revenue was generated by the 0845 numbers used by (a) his Department and (b) its executive agencies for public access services in each of the last three years. [262884]

Jonathan Shaw: DWP and its executive agencies do not receive any revenue from incoming phone calls to 0845 numbers used for public access services.

Lords Hansard text for 20 Apr 200920 Apr 2009 (pt 0013)

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200809/ldhansrd/text/90420w0013.htm#0...

Telephone Numbers
Questions

Asked by Lord Greaves

To ask Her Majesty's Government what instructions or advice are given to trusts and other organisations in the National Health Service on the use of 0800, 084 and 087 telephone numbers. [HL2569]

The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Department of Health (Lord Darzi of Denham): On 1 April 2005, the department prohibited the use of

20 Apr 2009 : Column WA372

premium rate (0870, 0871, and 09) numbers to contact local National Health Service healthcare services in England, on the basis of excessive cost to patients. This applied to NHS trusts, NHS dentists, NHS opticians and general practitioner practices, including out-of-hours service providers.

This did not include 084 numbers (which were not considered to be “premium rate” at the time). However, the department has written to NHS trusts on several separate occasions since to highlight concerns about the cost to patients of calling 084 numbers, and to reiterate that patients should not be required to pay more than the equivalent cost of dialling a geographic number to contact the NHS.

The department has recently undertaken a public consultation exercise on the use of 084 numbers in the NHS. That consultation ended on 31 March and any action taken as a result of the outcome of the consultation will be announced in due course.

The department has not issued any advice to trusts or other NHS organisations on the use of 0800 numbers.

Asked by Lord Greaves

To ask Her Majesty's Government what guidance or advice are given to local authorities on the use of 0800, 084 and 087 telephone numbers. [HL2571]

To ask Her Majesty's Government what instructions or advice are given to Government Offices for the Regions, regional development agencies and regional leaders' boards on the use of 0800, 084 and 087 telephone numbers. [HL2572]

The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Department for Communities and Local Government (Baroness Andrews): The Department for Communities and Local Government has not issued guidance on the use of 0800, 084 and 087 telephone numbers to local authorities.

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 21 Apr 2009 (pt 0007)

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200809/cmhansrd/cm090421/text/90421w0...

Government Departments: Telephone Services

Martin Salter: To ask the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster what information his Department holds on the number of Government departments and agencies which require people to dial a premium rate number to contact them; what plans the Government has to replace such use of 0845 numbers with numbers that charge a local or national rate; and if he will make a statement. [268458]

Mr. Watson: The Cabinet Office, through the Contact Council, is currently conducting a survey of the different number types, such as 0845, 0870 or 0800, used by central Government Departments and agencies. Each Department is currently responsible for their own numbering strategy, and it is their responsibility to ensure that all citizens—whatever their incomes—can afford to make contact. The council intends to use the results of its numbering survey to steer a future cross-government approach to the use of phone numbers. Consideration of the use of 0845 numbers, which are defined by Ofcom as “special service basic rate numbers” will form part of this methodology. As far as the Contact Council is currently aware, no central government department operates a premium rate number—defined by Ofcom as a number beginning either ‘090' or ‘091'—and if they do this will be identified during the aforementioned numbering survey.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #429 - May 3rd, 2009 at 10:02pm

Quote:
Mr. Watson: The Cabinet Office, through the Contact Council, is currently conducting a survey of the different number types, such as 0845, 0870 or 0800, used by central Government Departments and agencies. Each Department is currently responsible for their own numbering strategy, and it is their responsibility to ensure that all citizens—whatever their incomes—can afford to make contact. The council intends to use the results of its numbering survey to steer a future cross-government approach to the use of phone numbers. Consideration of the use of 0845 numbers, which are defined by Ofcom as “special service basic rate numbers” will form part of this methodology. As far as the Contact Council is currently aware, no central government department operates a premium rate number—defined by Ofcom as a number beginning either ‘090' or ‘091'—and if they do this will be identified during the aforementioned numbering survey.

Well that should all take them about another five years to complete. By which time the minimum call charge for non bundled calls will no doubt be about £1 per call and the line rental have risen to about £20 per month so that all 084 and 087 numbers are bundled in it.

The Contact Council will then no doubt conclude there is no need to stop using 084/7 numbers. Angry Angry Angry
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2009 at 10:03pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #430 - May 30th, 2009 at 2:44pm

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200809/cmordbk1/90508w01.htm

Questions to the Secretary of State for the Home Department
N      Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington): To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if she will make it her policy to limit the use by police forces of 0845 non-emergency telephone numbers.
(273826)

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #431 - Jun 3rd, 2009 at 9:36pm

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/s3/committees/publicaudit/reports-09/paur09-02...

Scottish Parliament
Public Audit Committee Report
SP Paper 196      PAU/S3/09/R2

2nd Report, 2009 (Session 3)

Police call management

30. Whilst consideration was being given to the development of a SNEN, a number of Scottish forces began a process of implementing 0845 numbers for people to use for non-emergency calls. Some work was also undertaken to investigate the possibility of police and local authorities sharing a non-emergency number. This included a review of a project in England and Wales that piloted the use of a 101 number for community safety and antisocial behaviour calls. However, the results of the pilot indicated that the use of this number did not reduce the number of calls to 999 and highlighted that there had previously been an unmet demand for information.

[…]

The development of a non-emergency number
36. The Committee was particularly keen to ascertain what work the Scottish Government was doing to coordinate the use of alternative numbers for non-999 situations. The Committee asked what estimates had been made of the costs of using alternative numbers, both to the forces and central government and to callers. The Committee also raised concerns regarding the use of 0845 numbers, which may be excluded from many phone operators’ inclusive call allowances, thereby raising accessibility implications for callers.

[…]

Oral evidence
39. Scottish Government officials updated the Committee on the forces’ consideration of 0845 numbers for non-emergency calls. Officials also noted that OFCOM is introducing a series of 03 numbers, as an alternative to chargeable 08 numbers. 03 numbers will cost the same as calls to geographic numbers (starting 01 or 02), and be included as part of any inclusive call minutes or discount schemes in the same way as geographic calls. Officials undertook to bring the issues raised by the committee about affordability to the attention of forces and local authorities. The Committee also received an update on the findings of the Home Office 101 project and officials noted that they were in discussion with the Home Office regarding the way forward in Scotland. The Committee noted that 0845 numbers were already in the process of being introduced by forces such as Lothian and Borders and Tayside.

[…]

46. In relation to the prospect of using an 03 or 0800 number, he drew attention to the marketing and re-branding costs that would be incurred given that the majority of Scottish forces have moved or will move to an 0845 number. He noted the extra cost of these options to forces and stated that there was a risk that the change would further confuse the public. In his view, since people rarely call the police and the average call length is only two and a half minutes, the cost of calling the police should not be a significant factor for those with mobile phones.

[…]

52. The Committee is also concerned that the use of 0845 numbers by individual forces has potential to increase the cost of calls to the public as many phone operators exclude these numbers from call allowances.

53. The Committee recommends that there should be a single non-emergency number in use across Scotland which should not be an 0845 or other premium rate number. The Committee calls on the Scottish Government to examine detailed proposals for the introduction of such a number.

[…]

03 or 0800 numbers
The Committee also asked about the use of 03 or 0800 numbers which could address concerns over the potential costs of calling the police from a mobile phone. Mobile phone tariffs are, of course, matters for the telephone companies.

Moving to an 03 or 0800 number would entail additional marketing and re-branding costs for the majority of forces which have already moved, or are in the process of, moving over to 0845 numbers. In addition, forces would bear some of the call charge with 03 numbers but all of it with 0800 (Free phone) numbers. Many forces have already carried out extensive work in marketing their 0845 numbers and consider there is a strong risk that another change would confuse the public in those areas.

Since most people will call the police only rarely and call lengths are generally short (on average two and a half minutes) we do not consider that the cost of calling the police should be a significant factor for those with mobile phones.

[…]

What can the Scottish Government do to drive such work forward at a faster pace?

As mentioned above, these are matters that are best handled by forces themselves. It remains for forces to make their own decisions on whether to adopt an 0845 number or move to an 03 number.
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2009 at 9:07pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #432 - Jun 4th, 2009 at 3:45pm

The issue of DWP use of premium rate phone lines was raised at business questions in the Commons today. I will provide a full Hansard reference when it is published tomorrow.

Alan Duncan (Shadow Leader of the House) asked, "may we have a statement from the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions on premium line telephone costs for Jobcentre Plus?"

Harriet Harman (Leader of the House) responded, "I will raise that with the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions ... it is important that we put extra investment into jobcentres. That is why we have put £1.2 billion extra into jobcentres to help people."

James Purnell (or his successor, if his use of taxpayer's money to speculate in the housing market costs him his cabinet position) will have to explain why £1.2 billion has not been adequate to remove the burden of premium telephone charges from claimants using mobiles and non-BT landlines.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #433 - Jun 5th, 2009 at 9:05am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jun 4th, 2009 at 3:45pm:
The issue of DWP use of premium rate phone lines was raised at business questions in the Commons today. I will provide a full Hansard reference when it is published tomorrow.

It appears that Mr Purnell has finally decided that he is unable to serve under a leader who regards certain behaviour as "totally unacceptable" when practised by some, but not by others. Can one assume that Mr Hoon may come to the same conclusion in time.

The Hansard references for yesterday are as follows.

Question from Alan Duncan - Column 392

Answer from Harriet Harman - Column 393

Watch this thread for comments on the new occupants of all relevant ministerial posts.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #434 - Jun 5th, 2009 at 5:57pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jun 5th, 2009 at 9:05am:
Can one assume that Mr Hoon may come to the same conclusion in time.

And he did ............ belatedly.

But, heaven help us all, Broon's bringing the orange South African, Peter Hain (the one who 'forgot' about £100k donations to his campaign for deputy PM) back.

Apparently, it saves money on changing the signs when you can leave the first and last letters in place.
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2009 at 6:03pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge