Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 
Send Topic Print
Parliamentary update (Read 499,700 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Parliamentary update
Reply #450 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 10:05pm

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 12 Nov 2009 (pt 0072)

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200809/cmhansrd/cm091112/text/91112w0...

Departmental Telephone Services

Mr. Oaten: To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department how many helplines his Department operates; and how much his Department has received from the operation of such helplines in each of the last three years. [294982]

Mr. Woolas: The information is as follows:

Home Office

The core Home Office does not operate any helplines. However, a number of Home Office business areas fund or contribute to the running of helplines via third sector partners and external groups but do not receive any revenue from these arrangements.

Identity and Passport Service

There are currently five Identity and Passport Service (IPS) helplines which all use 0300 numbers. The amount of revenue IPS received from the 0870 services in the years before IPS changed to 0300 numbers is given in the following table.

12 Nov 2009 : Column 938W

Criminal Records Bureau

The Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) has six helplines which use 0870 numbers. The CRB does not receive any income from non-geographical contact telephone numbers.

UK Border Agency

The agency is currently reviewing moving all of its main Contact Centre numbers to 0300 numbers and has recently transferred its Sponsorship and Employer Helpline to 0300. Information about numbers and revenue is given in the table.

Follow the link to view the table

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 12 Nov 2009 (pt 0076)

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200809/cmhansrd/cm091112/text/91112w0...

Telephone Services

Mark Williams: To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what his Department’s policy is on call charge rates for hon. Members for use of a telephone hotline on behalf of their constituents; and if he will make a statement. [292832]

Mr. Woolas: The Home Office does not have a specific policy on call charges for hon. Members for use of and telephone helpline on behalf of constituents.

To minimise the cost of calls made to Home Office hotlines wherever possible, we align our telephony services to the guidance and rules set out by Ofcom.

We also work closely with the Central Office of Information (COI) which is the Government’s centre of excellence for marketing and communications to ensure our telephone services are in line with industry standards and are aligned to the quality and service standards of other Government Departments.

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 24 Nov 2009 (pt 0007)

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmhansrd/cm091124/text/91124w0...

Mark Hunter: To ask the Minister of State, Department for Business, Innovation and Skills what recent estimate Ofcom has made of the average waiting time before speaking to a person when calling telephone numbers with  (a) 0844,  (b) 0845,  (c) 0870 and  (d) 0871 prefixes; and if he will make a statement. [300851]

Mr. Timms: The matter raised is the responsibility of the independent regulator, the Office of Communications (Ofcom), which is accountable to Parliament rather than Ministers. Accordingly, I have asked the chief executive of Ofcom to reply directly to the hon. Member. Copies of the chief executive's letter will be placed in the Libraries of the House.

Mark Hunter: To ask the Minister of State, Department for Business, Innovation and Skills what recent estimate Ofcom has made of profit made by
24 Nov 2009 : Column 77W
operators of lines with numbers with (a) 0844, (b) 0845, (c) 0870 and (d) 0871 prefixes in each of the last five years; and if he will make a statement. [300852]

Mr. Timms: The matter raised is the responsibility of the independent regulator, the Office of Communications (Ofcom), which is accountable to Parliament rather than Ministers. Accordingly, I have asked the chief executive of Ofcom to reply directly to the hon. Member. Copies of the chief executive's letter will be placed in the Libraries of the House.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #451 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 10:06pm

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 26 Nov 2009 (pt 0012)

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmhansrd/cm091126/text/91126w0...

Mark Hunter: To ask the Minister of State, Department for Business, Innovation and Skills what recent assessment he has made of the effectiveness of measures to regulate telephone numbers with  (a) 0844, (b) 0845,  (c) 0870 and  (d) 0871 prefixes; and if he will make a statement. [300850]

Mr. Timms: The Government have made no recent assessments as the independent regulator Ofcom has responsibility for telephone numbers in the UK.

Ofcom, in 2006, strengthened its price publication rules, requiring operators to make it easier for consumers to find out about the cost of calling 08 numbers. Operators are now required to state maximum charges for calls to 08 numbers in promotional material and also to specify whether 08 calls are included in call packages.

Calls to 0845 numbers are often charged at a small premium from fixed networks. For instance, BT's maximum charge for an 0845 call is 3.867p per minute (including VAT) but most BT customers pay no more than 1.9p per minute. There are also signs that competition is exerting downward pressure on prices. Earlier this year, BT included 0845 in its calling plans on the same basis as 01, 02 and 03 numbers and at least one other operator has since followed BT's lead.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #452 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 12:22am

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 15 Dec 2009 (pt 0035)

Mark Lazarowicz: To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department how many telephone lines with the prefix (a) 0870, (b) 0845 and (c) 0800 his Department (i) operates and (ii) sponsors; how many calls were received to each number in the last 12 months; and whether alternative numbers charged at the BT local rate are available in each case. [305206]

Mr. Woolas: A number of Home Office business areas operate directly, fund or contribute to the running of telephone lines using 0870, 0845 and 0800 numbers via third sector partners and external groups.

Details of the operation of these telephone lines are not kept centrally. It is therefore not possible to provide information requested about the number of calls received in the last 12 months.

A breakdown of telephone lines is as follows:

Home Office headquarters

Home Office headquarters does not operate any telephone lines directly.

Identity and Passport Service

There are currently five Identity and Passport Service (IPS) telephone lines which all use 0300 numbers.

UK Border Agency

The UK Border Agency has a total of 12 telephone lines, six of which operate on 0870, 0845, 0800 and the remaining six operate on local or 0300 numbers.

Criminal Records Bureau

The Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) has six telephone lines which use 0870 numbers.

The Home Office has undergone an exercise to rationalise its telephone line numbers. Many of its current telephone lines use the 03 prefix where the cost of the call, including those made from a mobile phone, is the same as a standard landline with an 01 or 02 code but not linked to a specific geographic area.

Until January 2009, all calls to 0845 numbers were charged at the local rate by all providers. BT announced that calls from BT lines to these numbers are now free. Ofcom has also ruled that from one August 2009 the cost of 0870 must be the same as an 0300 call.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #453 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 12:23am

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 15 Dec 2009 (pt 0019)

Mark Lazarowicz: To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs how many telephone lines with the prefix (a) 0870, (b) 0845 and (c) 0800 his Department (i) operates and (ii) sponsors; how many calls were received to each number in the last 12 months; and whether alternative numbers charged at the BT local rate are available in each case. [305213]

Chris Bryant: None.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #454 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 12:24am

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 14 Dec 2009 (pt 0049)

Mark Lazarowicz: To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer how many telephone lines with the prefix (a) 0870, (b) 0845 and (c) 0800 his Department (i) operates and (ii) sponsors; how many calls were received to each number in the last 12 months; and whether alternative numbers charged at the BT local rate are available in each case. [305216]

Sarah McCarthy-Fry: HM Treasury operates and funds the following telephone lines:

Prefix      Lines operated and funded      Local rate alternative available      Calls in last 12 months

n/a

n/a

Yes

Yes

n/a

(1)-
(1) Available only at disproportionate cost

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #455 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 12:26am

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 14 Dec 2009 (pt 0037)

Departmental Telephone Lines

Mark Lazarowicz: To ask the Secretary of State for Justice how many telephone lines with the prefix (a) 0870, (b) 0845 and (c) 0800 his Department (i) operates and (ii) sponsors; how many calls were received to each number in the last 12 months; and whether alternative numbers charged at the BT local rate are available in each case. [305210]

Mr. Wills: The Department's telecoms services are provided through contracts with external service providers. The majority of these services are managed within individual business areas and detailed management information is not collated centrally.

Following de-regulation of the telecoms industry, many Telecommunications Companies offer call packages which have inclusive calls, though in most cases 0800/0845 number are not covered. This means that charges paid by the caller to prefix 08 numbers are set by each phone company individually, with charges varying accordingly, especially when the call originates from a UK mobile or non-UK number.

From the records held centrally, the Department operates 52 0845 numbers and 25 0800 telephone numbers to provide a range of services. There is no record of any 0870 numbers being used for public access to services.

Some prefix 08 numbers could also be considered to be sponsored by the Department, as it pays for some of the cost to the caller. However, the amount would differ depending on the relevant tariffs in a caller's specific call plan.

In 2008-09, call volumes to 18 0845 numbers used by Her Majesty's Courts Service Bulk Payment Centre totalled 789,000.

Details of call volumes to other individual numbers, and any additional alternative exchange numbers that may be in use, is not collated centrally, and could be provided only at disproportionate cost.

As part of providing a cost-effective service to its users, the Department considers ways to make service users aware of the possibility that cheaper call options could be available. For instance, Her Majesty's Courts Service Bulk Payment Centre publish alternative exchange numbers for 18 0845 numbers on their web pages. This allows customers to choose which number to call, depending on their call plan. Charges vary, especially when the call originates from a UK mobile or non-UK number.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #456 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 12:28am

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 14 Dec 2009 (pt 0008)

Mark Lazarowicz: To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland how many telephone lines with the prefix (a) 0870, (b) 0845 and (c) 0800 his Department (i) operates and (ii) sponsors; how many calls were received to each number in the last 12 months; and whether alternative numbers charged at the BT local rate are available in each case. [305215]

Paul Goggins: The requested information is set out in the following table. It is applicable to the Northern Ireland Office (NIO) core Department only.

Operate or sponsor      Call received to number in the last 12 months      Alternative number charged at the BT local rate available

Telephone lines with prefix 0870

-

-

-

Telephone lines with prefix 0845

Phoneline for Perpetrators of Domestic Violence 0845 1228608

National Phoneline is sponsored by Home Office for service for England and Wales. NIO sponsors service for NI callers

31 calls received from NI residents (during period 1 October 2008 to 30 September 2009 i.e. period for which stats are available)

No

Mentally Disordered Victim Information Scheme 0845 6025488

NIO

Less than 10 call per year

No

Telephone lines with prefix 0800

24 Hour Domestic Violence Helpline 0800 9171414

NIO sponsors in partnership with DHSSPS and NIHE

30,054 calls (during period 1 October 2008 to 30 September 2009 i.e. period for which stats are available)

No

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #457 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 12:29am

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 14 Dec 2009 (pt 0026)

Mark Lazarowicz: To ask the Secretary of State for Health how many telephone lines with the prefix (a) 0870, (b) 0845 and (c) 0800 his Department (i) operates and (ii) sponsors; how many calls were received to each number in the last 12 months; and whether alternative numbers charged at the BT local rate are available in each case. [305205]

Phil Hope: The Department's Communications Directorate currently maintains no '0870' phone numbers but runs or promotes four '0845' phone numbers and 188 '0800' phone numbers.

Information on any other telephone services that may be run on behalf of the Department is not held centrally and cannot be provided except at disproportionate cost.

Records on the number of calls to individual numbers over the period requested are not available. Many of the numbers are received by the same campaign call centre and to collate records for individual phone numbers would incur disproportionate costs.

There are no alternative numbers available.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #458 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 12:31am

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 10 Dec 2009 (pt 0006)

Mark Lazarowicz: To ask the Secretary of State for International Development how many telephone lines with the prefix (a) 0870, (b) 0845 and (c) 0800 his Department (i) operates and (ii) sponsors; how many calls were received to each number in the last 12 months; and whether alternative numbers charged at the BT local rate are available in each case. [305214]

Mr. Michael Foster: The Department for International Development (DFID) has one telephone number with the prefix 0845. This is used by the Department's Public Enquiry Point in our office in Scotland. DFID pay a fixed annual fee for this telephone line which includes rental and all outgoing call charges. This line is managed via the Governments Management Telecoms Service and DFID does not receive any payment for calls made to this number. Calls to this number are charged at the local rate.

DFID does not keep a record of calls made to the 0845 number, this information would need to be specifically requested from our supplier.

DFID do not have any telephone lines with the prefix 0800 or 0870.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #459 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 12:32am

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 08 Dec 2009 (pt 0003)

Mark Lazarowicz: To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport how many telephone lines with the prefix (a) 0870, (b) 0845 and (c) 0800 his Department (i) operates and (ii) sponsors; how many calls were received to each number in the last 12 months; and whether alternative numbers charged at the BT local rate are available in each case. [305219]

Mr. Simon: My Department operates one of these, an 0800 number, and 1,422 calls were made to that number in last 12 months. No alternative number charged at the BT local rate is available as it is not necessary.

IP Logged

Ih8Gordon

Reply #460 - Dec 26th, 2009 at 12:24pm

I just wanted to add my voice of protest.  I am absolutely fuming about the spawning of these special numbers which inflate my BT telephone bill.  Trying to stay ahead of the game these days is full time exercise - even the government is out to prey on the unwary.  I am delighted to hear that Vince Cable is taking up the cause - doesn't surprise me - I'll be voting for him at the next election.

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #461 - Dec 26th, 2009 at 10:20pm

idb wrote on Dec 17th, 2009 at 12:22am:
Until January 2009, all calls to 0845 numbers were charged at the local rate by all providers. BT announced that calls from BT lines to these numbers are now free.

Sigh ....  Smiley

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #462 - Dec 27th, 2009 at 4:47pm

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 16 Dec 2009 (pt 0033)

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmhansrd/cm091216/text/91216w0...

Government Departments: Telephone Services

Mr. Oaten: To ask the Minister for the Cabinet Office what responses the Contact Council received to the enquiries which it made of each Government Department in June 2009 on departments' plans for using 030 numbers in place of 084 numbers for helplines; and if she will make a statement. [302367]

Tessa Jowell [holding answer 30 November 2009]: The Contact Council has not directly asked departments to outline their plans for using 030 numbers in place of 084 numbers for helplines. It has, however, issued to all Contact Council members (representatives of central departments, local authorities and other bodies) a clarification statement on telephone number ranges in May this year. This statement explained the characteristics of the 084, 087 and 03 number ranges so that central departments in particular might make their own informed choice about which range(s) best meets the needs of all their customer groups.

16 Dec 2009 : Column 1256W

Specifically in connection with this statement, the Council asked its central department representatives to confirm whether they retain any additional revenue as a result of using 084/087 numbers and to outline which ranges (not necessarily 03) best suit the services they provide to their customers.

Most major customer facing departments have answered these questions, and the remaining departments is in process of doing so. Once the outstanding response has been received the Council will analyse all response with a view to recommending ways of increasing the uptake of the 03 range where appropriate.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #463 - Jan 10th, 2010 at 1:27pm

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 05 Jan 2010 (pt 0016)

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmhansrd/cm100105/text/100105w...

Mark Lazarowicz: To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs how many telephone lines with the prefix (a) 0870, (b) 0845 and (c) 0800 his Department (i) operates and (ii) sponsors; how many calls were received to each number in the last 12 months; and whether alternative numbers charged at the BT local rate are available in each case. [305211]

Dan Norris: DEFRA operates one comprehensive helpline, the DEFRA Helpline, which has a prefix of 0845. DEFRA receives no income from this helpline.

The DEFRA Helpline has received 77,385 calls during the period 1 November 2008 to 30 November 2009.

Some callers may attract the BT local rate. Charges vary depending on callers' service providers, where and when they are calling from, the package the caller may be subscribed to and whether they are using a mobile.

The Cabinet Office, through the Contact Council, is currently developing a numbering strategy. This will cover a range of issues related to public sector numbering, including providing greater transparency and value for money for service users. In the meantime, the Council issued a "Clarification Statement on Telephone Number Ranges".

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 05 Jan 2010 (pt 0045)

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmhansrd/cm100105/text/100105w...

Revenue and Customs: Telephone Services

John Battle: To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer for how many calls an interpreter was provided on (a) the tax credits public helpline, (b) the tax credits intermediaries helpline, (c) the child benefit public helpline and (d) all other HM Revenue and Customs helplines in (i) 2005-06, (ii) 2006-07, (iii) 2007-08 and (iv) 2008-09. [308104]

Mr. Timms: The breakdown requested is not available, as HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) do not capture the use of interpretation services by helpline. In 2007-08 HMRC used interpretation services across its helpline services in a total of 420,000 occasions; in 2008-09 this figure was 839,000.

John Battle: To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer whether his Department has responded to the Social Security Advisory Committee's Occasional Paper Number 7 recommendation (a) call-backs should be offered by DWP and HMRC contact centre staff when a customer is calling from a mobile phone, (b) HMRC helpline numbers should be transferred from 0845 to 0800 numbers and (c) the information about the cost of calling HMRC should be improved significantly; and if he will make a statement. [308115]

Mr. Timms: HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) contact centres will begin an in depth review of its numbering strategy in the first half of this year, and will respond to the Social Security Advisory Committee's occasional paper no. 7 as part of this review.

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 05 Jan 2010 (pt 0045)

John Battle:  To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer with reference to the answer of 11 June 2009,  Official Report, column 983W, on welfare tax credits: telephone services, what the evidential basis is that some customers will pay more, others will pay less and for others there will be no change in relation to a charge from 0845 numbers to 0300. [308133]

5 Jan 2010 : Column 175W

Mr. Timms: HM Revenue and Customs does not hold information on individual customers call charges as calls are charged to the customer based on the tariff arrangements they have with their service provider, the device they use for the call and the location from which they call.

However, reviews carried out of telephone service provider's tariff websites and Ofcom's own guide to telephone charges "Number Crunching" available at www.ofcom.org.uk/files/2009/08/numbering.pdf
. indicate that some customers will pay more, others will pay less and for others there will be no change in relation to a change from 0845 numbers to 0300.

~~~~~~

Link corrected from that published in Hansard.

The Treasury's evidence is merely to look at different telephone providers' charges for 0845 and geographical calls. It uses Ofcom's document as propaganda, much as NEG uses BT's atypical 0844 charges to paint the picture that they are no more than geographical calls.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2010 at 1:28pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #464 - Jan 10th, 2010 at 1:28pm

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 06 Jan 2010 (pt 0001)

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmhansrd/cm100106/text/100106w...

Mark Lazarowicz: To ask the Minister of State, Department for Transport how many telephone lines with the prefix (a) 0870, (b) 0845 and (c) 0800 his Department (i) operates and (ii) sponsors; how many calls were received to each number in the last 12 months; and whether alternative numbers charged at the BT local rate are available in each case. [305208]

Chris Mole: The details for the Department of Transport and its Agencies are as follows: (all lines listed are operated, none are sponsored).

6 Jan 2010 : Column 325W

[Follow link to view the table]

6 Jan 2010 : Column 326W

Departmental policy is to now use 0300 numbers wherever possible.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge