Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 45
Send Topic Print
GPs all over England (not just in South Yorkshire) (Read 898,997 times)
sisgb

Surrey, UK
Re: Doctors Surgeries
Reply #195 - Mar 30th, 2007 at 9:16pm

My surgery in Guildford has recently changed to an 0844 number. I say recently because they didn't even bother to notify their patients, just left a mesage n the old number giving the new one. For me, I found out in an emergency involving my child, and ultimately requiring hospitalisation. If you have to ring the doctor in the middle of the night, the last thing you want is a message very slowly enunciating a completely different telephone number (who has a pen in their pyjamas?) and being told to call that. The new number has a very very long message on it before you are connected, presumably to maximise your length of call and thus their revenue.
I have signed the petition I found on here- thank you. How else can I protest about this?

IP Logged

warweezil

Reply #196 - Apr 10th, 2007 at 1:48pm

Had a call back from the CHC. They tell me that GP practicemanagers are at liberty to make such decisions, (not a good idea) and that the CHC has no input or influence.

I am taking it further writing to the practice manager pointing out the OFCOM views on alternative number provison AND the local call description issue... oh and asking just how much they are raking off from this "telephone taxation".

I will keep you posted.
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2007 at 1:49pm by warweezil »  

IP Logged

carolina

Reply #197 - Apr 10th, 2007 at 6:05pm

There are now 57 signatures - mine included. Not only do we have to pay for an 0844 number at our surgery, we also have to pay for the privilege of holding on for upwards of 15 minutes before we actually get through to the appointments line. It's a real rip off.

IP Logged

Martin_rosen

London
Reply #198 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 12:15am

I have just submitted a doctor's surgery in Hendon (NW London).  I found the number while waiting at the desk, where there was a list of direct lines on the wall to the doctors, and also to various departments (obviously for internal use).  I noticed the first number in the sequence was missing.  I tried it at home, and lo and behold it went through.

IP Logged

dad2711

kent
Reply #199 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 9:54pm

Well done my freind Wink

dad2711 &&I try to find numbers :--  but now im getting better at finding them

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #200 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 10:17pm

I notice that the home page on this site is still urging people to "Sign the Petition!!"  --- although the Petition closed on April 4th.   

Could this message be retained but with a link to the anti 0844 at Medical Practitioners Petition?  This utterley despicable practice of taxing sick and unwell people by phone should be stopped. 

This Petition needs all the help and publicity it can get, having so far only gathered 66 signatures.  There must be tens of thousands of people now affected by these 0844 numbers.

Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #201 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 10:49pm

loddon wrote on Apr 16th, 2007 at 10:17pm:
I notice that the home page on this site is still urging people to "Sign the Petition!!"  --- although the Petition closed on April 4th.   

Could this message be retained but with a link to the anti 0844 at Medical Practitioners Petition?  This utterley despicable practice of taxing sick and unwell people by phone should be stopped. 

This Petition needs all the help and publicity it can get, having so far only gathered 66 signatures.  There must be tens of thousands of people now affected by these 0844 numbers.

You mean http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/NGN-use-by-GPs/

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Martin_rosen

London
Reply #202 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 11:42pm

Martin_rosen wrote on Apr 16th, 2007 at 12:15am:
a list of direct lines on the wall to the doctors, and also to various departments (obviously for internal use).

That is the thing to do when visiting any organisation that uses 0845/0870 numbers.  When you are at the reception desk, while taking interest in what the receptionist is saying have a look around behind the counter for any notes to staff about telephone numbers.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #203 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 9:39am

It seems the "plague" has possibly spread further than we thought.

http://www.nhs.uk/england/doctors/telephoneSearchResults.aspx?telephone=0844&pag...
100 practices currently logged with the NHS as having 0844 telephone numbers.

PS: I'm glad to say that neither of mine are on that list (so far anyway).
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2007 at 9:40am by jgxenite »  

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

caj1956

Reply #204 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 10:42am

my doctors replaced their number with an 0844 number some months ago.  At the time I expressed concerns at cost implications, to which the reeptionist was not at all helpful, apparently couldn't handle volume of calls with ordinary STD codes!!  Number now is too long to remember, unlike the previous 7 digit number.  Am I cynical or is it a way of cutting down on the amount of people going to the surgery?

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #205 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 10:58am

I shouldn't be surprised if that is half the reason... the other half is most likely because of the "great features and functionality" NEG brings with their 0844.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

0870sucks

Essex
Rip-off Britain 0844....
Reply #206 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 10:52am

I tried to call my Dr's surgery today (20/4/07) only to be told the number has changed to 08444 773945 from 655134.
The real numbers do not work anymore, this means I will be charged 5p pm, the calls used to be free with my calling plan!
I will be writing to the practice manager informing them they can only call ME on my mobile number (unless they supply a direct number) from now on, if they call my home number, I will repeat - "the number you have called has been changed to 077........".
When I move, if my new surgery uses rip off numbers, they will be given my mobile number only!

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Re: Rip-off Britain 0844....
Reply #207 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 2:01pm

I share your outrage.   Our surgery does not use an 0844 (yet) but if they change to one I think I will change doctors (after 26 years).   The trouble with our surgery is they never call back so giving a mobile number wouldn't help.   They insist the patient calls the surgery for test results etc at a specified time but if the doctor is not available  expects the patient to make endless repeated phone calls "in case the doctor is free"!   Good luck with your complaint to the practice manager - in our case she is even more dragon-like than receptionists! When we complained about short prescribing intervals for our son who has a lifelong condition requiring medication, she threatened to throw him off the surgery's list!

IP Logged

0870sucks

Essex
Reply #208 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 9:40pm

[size=14][/size]calling all friends and family members of receptionists at surgeries who have switched to 0844 rip off numbers, particularly Chapel Street surgery in Billericay.

Please try and find out what phone numbers the staff use to call the surgery, I'm sure the receptionists, nurses and doctors dont use the 5ppm number to call in!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #209 - Apr 21st, 2007 at 7:48pm

See this post by Martin_rosen that suggests how you might get the 01/02 number for your surgery:

Martin_rosen wrote on Apr 16th, 2007 at 12:15am:
I have just submitted a doctor's surgery in Hendon (NW London).  I found the number while waiting at the desk, where there was a list of direct lines on the wall to the doctors, and also to various departments (obviously for internal use).  I noticed the first number in the sequence was missing.  I tried it at home, and lo and behold it went through.
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2007 at 7:54pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 45
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge