Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 45
Send Topic Print
GPs all over England (not just in South Yorkshire) (Read 897,703 times)
Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Re: Doctors Surgeries
Reply #225 - Aug 20th, 2007 at 9:15pm

I wonder whether Martin Lewis can, occasionally, raise the whole GPs' surgeries 0844 rip-off issue on some of the radio or television programmes on which he appears?

I've asked him in the hope .........

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #226 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 8:52am

I seem to remember some years ago, when talking to a BT engineer, he said when they tested customers lines the dialled a number before dialling a number so the customer was not charged for the test calls. Now here's a thought, if this is indeed true, how can we find out what this number is and then we could use this before the disgraceful 08 numbers that we dial. Perhaps this would be illeagle, but would the telephone companies sue for a few pence?...Just an idea.

IP Logged

Martin_rosen

London
Reply #227 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 9:00am

There used to be a ring-back number.  So the engineer can dial a number and then it would ring back to the subscriber's phone, for testing purposes.

That is the only one I have heard of.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #228 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 9:11am

Martin_rosen wrote on Aug 22nd, 2007 at 9:00am:
There used to be a ring-back number.  So the engineer can dial a number and then it would ring back to the subscriber's phone, for testing purposes.
17070 - still works (option 1 [ringback] and option 2 [quiet line test] can be used by anyone).  That's from your own line though.

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #229 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 7:27pm

Heinz wrote on Aug 22nd, 2007 at 9:11am:
17070 - still works (option 1 [ringback] and option 2 [quiet line test] can be used by anyone).  That's from your own line though.

If it complains about not detectng CLI, prefix it with 1470.  (Usually only on witheld lines..) 

I don't suppose anybody has a number that will read back your CLI to you?

IP Logged

a very nice man
Supreme Member

England
Reply #230 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 8:49pm

Obviously this is not a method to choose but.....
If an emergency call was made from that number, the operator would read your number to the appropriate service.
Don't do, just trust me until the time is right.

Therefore it might work if you were to ring customer services, usually 150 and ask them to confirm the number you are dialling from, assuming it's not withheld.

Wooden balance bikes for only £35 + postage. www.easycyclers.co.uk
IP Logged

sx51alx

Reply #231 - Sep 10th, 2007 at 3:38pm

I think it's appauling at the best of times these 0845 numbers etc. let alone doctors surgies, NHS etc.  Making money out of ill health is a disgrace and I bet any of the money made from such numbers won't even make it into the NHS fund.

Bambs Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2007 at 3:39pm by sx51alx »  

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #232 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 1:52pm

HORSHAM'S Courtyard Surgery is the latest to switch to the new controversial 0844 numbers.

Park Surgery has already moved to the new system, which was the subject of a number of complaints.

Initially major technical faults disconnected callers trying to contact medical experts, and engineers were forced to carry out emergency repairs.

In addition, residents launched a district-wide protest about the costs of the new system, as 0844 numbers are charged at 4.96p a minute.

Further issues arose when a local expert revealed that the system could queue an indefinite amount of people, and each heard a 'ringing' tone, instead of the 'engaged' that callers would have previously heard had lines been busy.

Park Surgery limits the system to 50 people at any one time, which means that callers were potentially paying to queue against each other.

Explaining the reasons for going ahead with the new system, Janet Yeo,
practice manager at Courtyard Surgery, said: "We are keen to stress to our patients that, despite what has been reported in some news articles, we will not be making a profit from our new phone system.

"It has been introduced solely to ease problems with call congestion.
"Call costs have also been exaggerated and misrepresented and we would like to assure our patients that it should cost them around the same to call the surgery with the new system."

She said the new numbers were charged at a 'lo-call' rate, equivalent to BT's standard rate of 4.226 pence per minute (4.96 with VAT), making the cost of a four-minute call less than 20 pence.

To make the changeover as smooth as possible, any patients who dial the old numbers in error will hear a recording with details of the new number that they need to call.

IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #233 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 9:53pm

suggest to send the video of the recent BBC program to all surgeries who changed to 0844:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_7020000/newsid_7023300/7023328.stm?bw=bb &mp=rm&asb=1&news=1

IP Logged

Martin_rosen

London
Reply #234 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 10:03pm

Out of interest, what was the programme that it was on?

IP Logged

joe65

Reply #235 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 10:08pm

sherbert wrote on Oct 1st, 2007 at 1:52pm:
HORSHAM'S Courtyard Surgery is the latest to switch to the new controversial 0844 numbers.

Park Surgery has already moved to the new system, which was the subject of a number of complaints.

Many of the general public will appreciate not getting the engaged tone  (while not realising what they're paying for the privilege) .
I had rather got used to the constant barrage of re-dials required to get through with the wonderful old system, starting promptly at 8 am.  Despite that, one seemed to get through quicker then than now  & of course one wasn't paying for most of that time (whilst redialling).

But the general public,  who are not so telephone savvy, will just be so relieved to be 'getting through' first time...

There are those who count,&&An' those who cann't,&&An' those who count  on the both of 'em.

IP Logged

joe65

Reply #236 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 10:29pm

sx51alx wrote on Sep 10th, 2007 at 3:38pm:
I think it's appauling at the best of times these 0845 numbers etc. let alone doctors surgies, NHS etc.  Making money out of ill health is a disgrace and I bet any of the money made from such numbers won't even make it into the NHS fund.

Bambs Smiley

Sadly the sick are an easy pray for these vultures and with the NHS they have just the hugest captive audience.

The Hospital in Horsham has not long ago installed a parking system.   Never used to have much of a problem finding a space before.   Now the general public has to drive around for hours waiting for one of the few spaces left available for public/patient use to become free  (all the rest having been reserved for Blue Badge holders - whoever they are).   Then they expect you to buy a ticket in Advance, based on how long you're going to be .......   Don't they know this is the NHS, where the word Patient takes on a new significance.    How can anyone foretell how long they're likely to be ?   Sorry Mr Doctor , now that you've got round to seeing me at last, could you just wait while I pop out and renew my parking ticket....   I don't think so - I'd be more inclined to run the risk of the £60 penalty for overstaying than risk my health & waste the doctor's time like that.
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2007 at 10:30pm by joe65 »  

There are those who count,&&An' those who cann't,&&An' those who count  on the both of 'em.

IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #237 - Oct 4th, 2007 at 12:16pm

Quote:
Out of interest, what was the programme that it was on?

BBC Breakfast, 2nd October:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/nol/newsid_7020000/newsid_702400...

~ Edited by Dave: Hyperlink corrected
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2007 at 12:22pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

joe65

Reply #238 - Oct 4th, 2007 at 1:36pm

Did anyone see the Doctor on this mornings TV standing proudly in front of his prominently displayed 0845 ...number, whilst extollng the virtues of opening evenings & weekends?
Don't remember which channel, but one of the 4 terrestrials.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #239 - Oct 4th, 2007 at 1:37pm

joe65 wrote on Oct 3rd, 2007 at 10:29pm:
sx51alx wrote on Sep 10th, 2007 at 3:38pm:
I think it's appauling at the best of times these 0845 numbers etc. let alone doctors surgies, NHS etc.  Making money out of ill health is a disgrace and I bet any of the money made from such numbers won't even make it into the NHS fund.

Bambs Smiley

Sadly the sick are an easy pray for these vultures and with the NHS they have just the hugest captive audience.

The Hospital in Horsham has not long ago installed a parking system.   Never used to have much of a problem finding a space before.   Now the general public has to drive around for hours waiting for one of the few spaces left available for public/patient use to become free  (all the rest having been reserved for Blue Badge holders - whoever they are).   Then they expect you to buy a ticket in Advance, based on how long you're going to be .......   Don't they know this is the NHS, where the word Patient takes on a new significance.    How can anyone foretell how long they're likely to be ?   Sorry Mr Doctor , now that you've got round to seeing me at last, could you just wait while I pop out and renew my parking ticket....   I don't think so - I'd be more inclined to run the risk of the £60 penalty for overstaying than risk my health & waste the doctor's time like that.

The car park at Horsham Hospital used to be used by commuters, either leaving their car there or two cars arriving in the morning and the driver of one car getiing in to the other and off to work. This was unfair. I have found it much easier to park there since the pay & display has been in operation (and there is a much cheaper car park a few yards up the road where the local swimming pool is.) I don't think in this case they had much option as so many people were abusing it. However there must be a way where if you are an out patient that you get your money refunded but then, I guess that is not the idea. Sadly in this country if any authority can screw the Great British Public, they will. Angry
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2007 at 1:38pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 45
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge