Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Another rip off BBC 0870 number. (Read 47,708 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Another rip off BBC 0870 number.
Reply #15 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 2:15pm

trevord wrote on Apr 4th, 2006 at 2:09pm:
I note that the PayPoint site given by Dave says:
Quote:
PayPoint retailers can accept all of the most popular credit and debit cards through their PayPoint terminal for shop goods purchases.  [my emphasis]

This implies that they may not accept them directly for other transactions.  Maybe you have to use your debit card at the PayPoint to get cash - for which there will no doubt be a commission charge - and then use the cash to pay for the TV Licence?

I think that the technology's there for debit cards. Maybe Pay Point will bring in a service 'improvement' at a later date to allow electronic payment; obviously with an associated 'convenience' charge attached.

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #16 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 2:34pm

Dave wrote on Apr 4th, 2006 at 2:15pm:
I think that the technology's there for debit cards. Maybe Pay Point will bring in a service 'improvement' at a later date to allow electronic payment; obviously with an associated 'convenience' charge attached.

I'm sure the technology is there!   Cool

This reminds me of when I purchased some foreign currency at the post office.
If I paid for the foreign currency by debit card, they would treat it as a foreign purchase on the debit card and charge a percentage commission (for the transaction - not for the currency).
But if I used my debit card to withdraw the requisite amount of cash (which I can do free of charge because smile bank has an arrangement with the post office), and then used that cash to purchase the foreign currency, there would be no charge!   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #17 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 2:55pm

trevord wrote on Apr 4th, 2006 at 2:34pm:
If I paid for the foreign currency by debit card, they would treat it as a foreign purchase on the debit card and charge a percentage commission (for the transaction - not for the currency).
But if I used my debit card to withdraw the requisite amount of cash (which I can do free of charge because smile bank has an arrangement with the post office), and then used that cash to purchase the foreign currency, there would be no charge!   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

But not, I think, with the Nationwide debit card.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #18 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 3:08pm

This is all most strange, particularly as our local council is apparently planning to go "cashless" and direct everyone to the post office to pay bill etc!!!   Checked our nearest pay point and the only one in our nearest town (still over 5 miles away) is at the only convenience store located in the middle of a nightmare, traffic light controlled busy crossroads where for anyone to park causes mayhem but a good mile from the town centre and some distance from any sensible (ie not obstructive) parking - very convenient!  All the others are considerably farther away, some 13 - 20 miles distant!   What a strange world (or do I mean country?!)

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #19 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 3:10pm

Tanllan wrote on Apr 4th, 2006 at 2:55pm:
But not, I think, with the Nationwide debit card.

It depends which banks have arrangements with the post office.

But - to return to the original subject - my understanding is that you can currently pay for a TV Licence with ANY debit card at the post office, but it appears that you may not be able to with their 'new, improved' service at PayPoints.   Cry

IP Logged

bill

TV licence
Reply #20 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 3:24pm

Interesting, one of the options which comes up when I enter my postcode is:

Marks Tey Post Office & Stores
Marks Tey Delivery Office
91 London Road Marks Tey
Colchester
Essex
CO6 1DT

Opening Times
05:30 - 20:00 Mon - Fri
05:30 - 20:00 Sat
07:00 - 19:00 Sun

Distance 4.8 miles from your postcode

But, unfortunately, not the village Post Office 60 yards from my house.
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2006 at 3:27pm by bill »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #21 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 3:42pm

trevord wrote on Apr 4th, 2006 at 3:10pm:
... my understanding is that you can currently pay for a TV Licence with ANY debit card at the post office, but it appears that you may not be able to with their 'new, improved' service at PayPoints.   Cry

This will probably 'save' the TV Licensing some money. Of course, it leaves the door open for Pay Point to charge per transaction for the 'convenience' of paying by card. Another 0870 type rip-off is born!  Cry

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #22 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 2:46am

trevord wrote on Apr 4th, 2006 at 10:29am:
mc661 wrote on Apr 3rd, 2006 at 2:20am:
Least I wont have to queue in post offices ...

Well, you never had to pay in the post office - there were always other ways to pay!
But I actually chose to pay in the post office because I want to help keep our village post office open - and now they are removing yet another service from it.  Sad

Oh great what have I started. Its the Main PO im talking about i.e. the crown post office. These are run directly by Royal Mail. I always support my local sub post offices which are not crown post offices.

omy wrote on Apr 3rd, 2006 at 1:15pm:
You do sound as if you are a great 'people's representative' who is supposed to care about ALL constituents (thought a rep should be able to spell this very important? word!!).  You may be old one day - but it appears you are too busy always telling us you are an 'elected person' to care about anyone, particularly those who stop you when exiting your PO - shame on them for the effrontery of actually approaching their local representative.  Yes, we do get the government we deserve!

I only care about my ward members, after all 'most' of them voted me in again for some strange reason (they must like me and my work).
Oh great so now your picking me up on my typos? Great, yet another reason to make me stay on this site isnt it!  Angry
Heck I bet you didnt even vote.

« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2006 at 2:52am by mc661 »  

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #23 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 11:04pm

You may make all the bets you wish about whether I exercise my franchise or not, mc661, just give us a break from constantly mentioningyour own 'good works' as a ward councillor - then making comments that show your contempt for the elderly and people who show such poor judgement in wishing to engage you in conversation, outside.  Can't have it all ways - but no, as a politician perhaps you can.  I do!!. Wink

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #24 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 2:32pm

Think I am posting this in the corrct thread for TV Licensing.   It seems that many of the residents of my small (approx 550 people) village are furious as they have suddenly realised they will no longer be able to buy/renew tv licences at our village post office, the only facility we have (well, the change has hardly been well-publicised - I wonder why?)   Apart from removing a considerable volume of business from our hard-pressed post office, the ONLY Paypoint outlet is in our nearest town (population approx 15,000) 5 -6 miles away which is also the catchment town for a large rural area with many small villages.   The Paypoint outlet is nowhere near the town centre but on a busy, traffic light controlled junction with no parking anywhere nearby and could not hope to cope with the volume of customers if everyone using the surrounding post offices tried to go there instead.   I know there are other ways to pay, but none of them as secure (don't trust DDs generally or my bank & TV Licensing messed up big time last time we tried to renew by telephone) or convenient.    Am I cynical to think they are trying to make it so difficult for many people that that can catch them without a licence?   I emailed a complaint and, seeing the auto reply, realise that it is CAPITA behind it all again, as usual, as all the TVL nos are NGNs (I know there are alternatives here but many village residents are elderly & without computer access)!    Isn't there a member of the forum who is of the government party who could perhaps point out the obvious - in rural areas we only have our post office and don't want to pay for NGN calls?!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #25 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 1:38pm

Source: Oxford Mail - Letters

http://www.oxfordmail.net/news/letters/display.var.2081885.0.free_number.php

<<

Free number

How kind of Pipa Doubtfire, the head of revenue management at TV Licensing, to clarify that the BBC and not the Government transferred a contract for TV licence fee collection to PayPoint from the Post Office (Oxford Mail, February 21).

It hardly matters who was responsible for the deed. Most people are aware the Government and BBC are inextricably linked.

I am in favour of making life easier for all the captive customers of the monopoly organisation TV Licensing, so why take away, completely, the option of payment at the post office?

I do not frequent shops with PayPoint and would have to actively seek them out. However, I attend the post office regularly.

As for many others, it is nearer than any PayPoint to me. Were we consulted on this change? Of course not.

As for the £100m saving over six years, it would be more helpful and believable to give more information on the sort of programmes, plus services, we are likely to be subjected to in the future, rather than the inevitable repeats.

Ms Doubtfire quotes two telephone numbers for contact and information.

One (the rebate/revenue share number) begins 0870 and the second 0844. But why would anyone use these numbers when TV Licensing can be contacted for information and payment free on 0800 917 1490?

ALAN KERRY Cowley Road Littlemore Oxford

4:23pm Thursday 28th February 2008

>>

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #26 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 12:48pm

I thought this was going to be about the 0871 number that I have recently seen used by BBC Question Time and which is deliberately kept on screen for a very extended period without any indication that it is not a standard priced phone call.

<div style=

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #27 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 1:16pm

Dave wrote on Mar 2nd, 2008 at 1:38pm:
Source: Oxford Mail - Letters

http://www.oxfordmail.net/news/letters/display.var.2081885.0.free_number.php

<<

Free number

How kind of Pipa Doubtfire, the head of revenue management at TV Licensing, to clarify that the BBC and not the Government transferred a contract for TV licence fee collection to PayPoint from the Post Office (Oxford Mail, February 21).

It hardly matters who was responsible for the deed. Most people are aware the Government and BBC are inextricably linked.

I am in favour of making life easier for all the captive customers of the monopoly organisation TV Licensing, so why take away, completely, the option of payment at the post office?

I do not frequent shops with PayPoint and would have to actively seek them out. However, I attend the post office regularly.

As for many others, it is nearer than any PayPoint to me. Were we consulted on this change? Of course not.

As for the £100m saving over six years, it would be more helpful and believable to give more information on the sort of programmes, plus services, we are likely to be subjected to in the future, rather than the inevitable repeats.

Ms Doubtfire quotes two telephone numbers for contact and information.

One (the rebate/revenue share number) begins 0870 and the second 0844. But why would anyone use these numbers when TV Licensing can be contacted for information and payment free on 0800 917 1490?

ALAN KERRY Cowley Road Littlemore Oxford

4:23pm Thursday 28th February 2008

>>

When you get your tv licence reminder, on the reminder it does actually tell you where your nearest PayPoint shop is, which I think is rather clever. Anyway once they did this I started to pay by direct debit even though there was a PP near by. So, with direct debits for the utilities, tv licenesing done differently, who needs a post office except to post a parcel, but I guess that is another topic!!

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #28 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 7:01am

NGMsGhost wrote on Mar 3rd, 2008 at 12:48pm:
I thought this was going to be about the 0871 number that I have recently seen used by BBC Question Time and which is deliberately kept on screen for a very extended period without any indication that it is not a standard priced phone call.

I looked at this last night, and the onscreen info is; - "0871 6269988. 10p from BT landlines. Mobiles & other networks may be higher"

It does not state 10ppm, just 10p, so is the number one of those that cost 10p for the call, or 10ppm? Although PayphonePlus (http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/numberchecker/NcdResults.asp) states; -

PhonepayPlus has the following information about the number 08716269988.
This is a non geographic number charged at up to 10p per minute. The services operating on this number can range from advice lines, call centres, ticket booking lines, customer support lines and more.

So it does look like it costs 10ppm, therefore is this not misleading price indications ans as such would OfCoN or ASA get involved?

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
BBC 0870 - Cheaper Than The Cost of A Stamp!
Reply #29 - Apr 13th, 2008 at 5:14pm

The BBC's Eddie Mair was at it once again on their PM program on Friday 11th April by stating, when mentioning that the programs's 0870 phone number cost 8p per minute to call, that it was "cheaper than the cost of a stamp".

I sent this email in response and also sent a variant to BBC Radio 4's Feedback program and lodged an official complaint on the BBC Complaints website.

Quote:
-------- Original Message --------
Subject:      0870 - Cheaper Than The Cost of A Stamp - Gratuitous and Inappropriate Comments
Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 2008 18:47:06 +0100
To:      Eddie Mair at BBC Dot Co Dot UK (real email address removed to stop Spambots)

Dear Mr Mair,

Claims that calling a BBC 0870 covert premium rate number is "cheaper than the cost of a Stamp" - PM - Friday 11th April 2008 - 5.53pm

I wanted to complain in the strongest possible terms about the gratuitous statement you chose to make when promoting a BBC 0870 number on your show around 5.53pm tonight (Friday 11th April 2008) that it was "cheaper than the cost of a stamp".

The cost of stamps is surely immaterial to the matter.  The relevant comparison is with normal priced UK phone calls on which many UK fixed line and mobile telecoms consumers now have inclusive call plans that cover all calls to numbers starting 01/02/03 for a set amount per month but these plans do not cover 084/7 calls on which the BBC, and its partners in viewer and listener telephony extortion Capita and Cable & Wireless, collectively extract a revenue share.

You said, in your on air statement, that calls to 0870 numbers cost "up to 8p per minute" but this is not true as a huge volume of UK daytime calls are made on mobile phones and on a mobile phone an 0870 number is always excluded from bundled inclusive call minute packages and costs up to 40p per minute to call from within the UK.  It costs even more to call an 0870 number from overseas and they may not be contactable at all, which could well be an issue for overseas web and satellite radio listeners to your program.

Please can you tell me where you got the phrase "cheaper than a stamp" from today and can you indicate if it is your own personal invention or a new BBC policy line to defend the continued use and abuse by the BBC of 084/7 numbers.

The Central Office Of Information has just published the Third Edition of its Better Practice Guidance for Government Contact Centres at www.coi.gov.uk/documents/gcc-third-edition.pdf ; Since the BBC is a public sector and not a commercial organisation to my mind it is therefore bound by the advice given in this guide and if you read the Cost to the Citizen section starting at paragraph 3.51 on P.35 of the Guide (P.36 of the PDF) this will surely tell you why the BBC's continued love affair with 0870 numbers (that is now even extending to 0871 numbers - eg Question Time audience participation line) is wholly inappropriate.

Some months ago a Mr Michael Stock, a senior member of the management team in your Marketing, Communications & Audiences division, contacted to tell me that the BBC was contemplating a possible switch to the use of the new 03 number range introduced by Ofcom that are only charged at the price of a normal landline call (and are included in fixed line calling plans and bundled minutes on mobile phones) but since then I have heard nothing further from Mr Stock.  So can I assume that the BBC is now backtracking on its plans to get rid of 0870 in favour of normally priced 03 prefixed phone numbers or is the good news on this from the BBC only just around the corner?

I look forward to your comments.

Regards,
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2008 at 5:15pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge