Send Topic Print
NEG propaganda (Read 709,692 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: NEG propaganda
Reply #15 - Oct 14th, 2006 at 8:20pm

Cruz wrote on Oct 14th, 2006 at 4:31pm:
And, as the 0844 477 number used in the case is charged by BT at 5p/minute at all times, the first minute of a call to it now costs 8p (but that's alright, it's only a third more).

Just to clarify, whole minute charging 'only' applies to geographical calls (remember them? Roll Eyes), international calls and calls to mobiles. All other numbers are still billed to the nearest second, and this includes 0844 numbers.

IP Logged

Cruz

Reply #16 - Oct 14th, 2006 at 9:32pm

Dave wrote on Oct 14th, 2006 at 8:20pm:
Just to clarify, whole minute charging 'only' applies to geographical calls (remember them? Roll Eyes), international calls and calls to mobiles. All other numbers are still billed to the nearest second, and this includes 0844 numbers.

I've been told that - and that the antiquated 'whole minute charging' applies to all calls - by staff at the CEO's office.  So who knows which is correct?

In any case, it makes very little difference for anything except a call on which you immediately hang up.
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2006 at 9:34pm by Cruz »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #17 - Dec 16th, 2006 at 10:11pm

There's several threads on NEG now, the latest being one on its SchoolLine 'service'.

Since I last looked at the NEG website, this page has been added. It promotes 0800, 0844 and 0870 numbers. It does not come as a suprise that an outfit like this clings to the usual misdescriptions (lies) to sell its 'products':

Quote:
Choose a local rate 0844 number to save your callers money or national rate 0870 number to earn an income from your callers.

08 numbers are used by thousands of companies but choosing the right number depends on the type of service your are providing, click NGN to find out what number is right for your business. Our most popular numbers are lo-call rate 0844 which charges the caller BT's standard local rate of 4.2 pence per minute, so in many cases your UK customer could actually be saving money every time they ring your business. Once set 0844 numbers are completely free to use, you pay no standing charges or forwarding costs. Alternatively if you can choose a national rate 0870 number that pays an outbound payment of up to 3 pence per minute depending on call volumes.

Clicking the NGN link shows another page with more propaganda, most noteably:
Quote:
... Research shows that subsidising your incoming callers by charging local rates increases goodwill and the likelihood of a recommendation.
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2006 at 10:15pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #18 - Dec 17th, 2006 at 11:00am

Have been reading the latest comments and I know NEG appears in a number of threads.  Has anyone contacted them to draw attention to the misleading info they give?   I am sure this has been done but maybe all forum members interested could try it as a concerted campaign?   Would such campaigning be a way forward generally?   Members could be alerted to targets by PMs so the concerted nature of the complaints would be disguised.   Also are there any lawyers who are members of the forum who could take action on such misdescriptions?   I expect I am way behind and this has already been tried but thought it worth a post.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #19 - Dec 17th, 2006 at 11:53am

Barbara wrote on Dec 17th, 2006 at 11:00am:
Have been reading the latest comments and I know NEG appears in a number of threads.  Has anyone contacted them to draw attention to the misleading info they give?
The problem is that ASA has no remit over their website.  Trading Standards do and so I'm going to make a complaint.  I noticed they are careful about using the term, "BT standard local rate" which may be true however as this is no longer available they shouldn't be allowed to use it.

Thanks for spotting that Dave.
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2006 at 12:35pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #20 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 4:28pm

The ASA have stated to me in a letter that they are hoping to deal with the issue of their various codes not covering advertising on websites at some point in the near future.

<div style=

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #21 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 10:36pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Dec 20th, 2006 at 4:28pm:
The ASA have stated to me in a letter that they are hoping to deal with the issue of their various codes not covering advertising on websites at some point in the near future.
Do you have anything new regarding ASA's different stance on this matter for TV adverts (broadcasting division) that currently don't have to abide by any of the 08x codes of practice/guidelines unlike the non-broadcast that do?

My last reply from them a few months ago (I think) stated that they were looking into this and are currently in contact with Ofcom for advice on a few things.  That's all they would tell me.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #22 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 11:30pm

bbb_uk wrote on Dec 20th, 2006 at 10:36pm:
Do you have anything new regarding ASA's different stance on this matter for TV adverts (broadcasting division) that currently don't have to abide by any of the 08x codes of practice/guidelines unlike the non-broadcast that do?

They did a formal adjudication on my complaint against Sky Travel Shop on Sky Three's claim that their 0870 calls were charged "at the National Rate of up to 8p per minute" or words to that effect.  They didn't formally rule against Sky on the basis that they had used the correct rate per minute, even though they had also used the words National Rate.  The ASA's letter said something along the lines of hoping that Sky wouldn't use the term National Rate in the future and to be fair I see they now don't make this claim on Sky Travel Shop.

Anyhow my complaint broke new ground in that the ASA decided they did have the power to review a tv program on the basis of a price claim made about an 0870 number.  It is unfortunate that Sky didn't get a formal ruling against them though.

The adjudication should be somewhere on the ASA website.

Just found it at www.asa.org.uk/asa/adjudications/Public/TF_ADJ_41766.htm

Annoyingly I emailed the ASA before the adjudication to complain that the pricing information on BT's website that Sky referred to was inaccurate and also pointing to The MD of BT Retail's (Ian Livingston) comments that 084/7 numbers were a scam and extra charging should be ended but these were not taken into account at the adjudication.

I suppose this really needs breaking off into a new thread entitled "ASA Ruling On Sky Travel Shop Claim 0870 is National Rate"
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2006 at 11:47pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #23 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 4:38pm

Case studies for Surgery Line are here. Each one includes the following:
Quote:
You and your staff benefit
When a surgery switches to an 084 number, NEG will install and maintain the most efficient communications system on the market. You specify exactly what equipment you want to receive (from handsets to switchboards) for no extra charge. With your own 084 number, you keep about 2p from every call to re-invest in your practice, instead of BT making all the profit from calls to your surgery.

I thought that this 2p that they receive was paid straight back to NEG for the 'service'. That's what Janice Gregory, Welsh Assembly Member argued and got into hot water for, see here.

Quote:
How your patients benefit
Patients benefit by having their calls answered more quickly. The engaged tone becomes rare – even at peak times - because you are able to handle incoming calls more efficiently, whilst patient calls are spread out during the day. Calls to 084 or ‘lo-call’ numbers cost patients 4p per minute, the same as the first minute of BT’s standard call rate between 6am and 6pm. This means that many patients will actually pay less in total because their call is answered and processed more quickly. Significantly, the cost of calls from mobiles remains unchanged - these account for around 30% of all calls to surgeries.

Is this a contest to see how many lies they can fit into one sentence?

In the first paragraph they say that it's good because BT won't make the profit, and in the second they cling to the idea of BT rates!
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2007 at 4:40pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #24 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 6:32pm

Dave,

Where did you get this stuff from - NEG's website?

If you could get sent NEG's leaflets and these lies are in the leaflets then you can file a complaint with the ASA about it which NEG will obviously lose.  If its only on their website then trading standards is the only form of redress sadly. Angry Cry

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #25 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 7:21pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 26th, 2007 at 6:32pm:
Where did you get this stuff from - NEG's website?

Yes, the website. Select the case studies link and select a case study from there. The PDFs are 2 A4 pages, so I'm sure that they're available double-sided on fancy glossy paper.

IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #26 - Jan 27th, 2007 at 9:40am

Quote:
Yes, the website. Select the case studies link and select a case study from there. The PDFs are 2 A4 pages, so I'm sure that they're available double-sided on fancy glossy paper.

Dave, couldn't find any actual case studies on the NEG website only general blurb about Bank of England, YMCA, etc. Might they have removed it, or am I just not sufficiently computer literate?

Could you provide a link?

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #27 - Jan 27th, 2007 at 10:26am

lompos wrote on Jan 27th, 2007 at 9:40am:
couldn't find any actual case studies on the NEG website only general blurb about Bank of England, YMCA, etc. Might they have removed it, or am I just not sufficiently computer literate?

Could you provide a link?
If you view this page you can see that half way down they have 'Surgery Case Studies' where it mentions Fulham Surgery, Kingshurst Surgery, etc.

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 26th, 2007 at 6:32pm:
If its only on their website then trading standards is the only form of redress sadly. Angry Cry
I've already made a complaint about NEG mentioning a tariff that is no longer available on BT so therefore it's unfair/misleading.  Can't really complain about lo-call though as far as I can see.

The problem is though due to bureaucracy, the complaint was made through Consumer Direct who then pass it on to my local trading standards who then pass it on to the trading standards where NEG's head office is.  Talk about useless 'red tape'.

I've not heard nothing as yet.
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2007 at 10:32am by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

KVSimons

Reply #28 - Jul 17th, 2007 at 9:51am

Having read various incorrect postings re NEG, and quite frankly an offensive posting from user idb I felt compelled to register and post a response. I use the word 'offensive' as idb feels that a) he has the right to make assumptions about me and how I 'bull s**t' my customers and b) he assumes to know Surgery Line - when in fact this person has never even discussed our service with us.

Just to clarify; after 13 years in this business and a holder of both a degree and Masters I feel no need to go out and 'scam' people in order to make a living.

OK - personal feelings to one side;

It makes no odds to us at all if a surgery queues calls for 20mins or 1min or not at all and continues to give the engaged tone as we do not make money from this element.

The SURGERY makes this choice, and can change the queue duration at any time, as Surgery Line is bespoke it can often take about 3-6months before it fits the environment of the practice, list size and patient demographic.

Many practices conduct patient surveys, and this always bring up the problem of access, esp first thing in the morning.

The practice can either continue to give the engaged tone, meaning no one can get through - even if they wanted to cancel their appt, or employ another person to ans calls for the first 1.5 hours, OR adopt a queue facility which TELLS THE PATIENT WHERE THEY ARE IN THE QUEUE - so they have a choice.

I am also a patient, and before my own GP moved to Surgery Line it was a total nightmare to get through. I am far too busy to keep ringing an engaged tone in the hope I can get through. For this reason I often didn't bother to cancel my appts as I couldn't reach them. It also cost me 50p to use BT ring back.

It probably costs me about £1 a year to ring my doctor - lets get things in perspective shall we?

We are the preferred supplier to GP in the UK and again we don't make out money from the length of call, but the rental for the hardware of the system. Practices have a choice - THEY decide how it is set up, not us.

Rather than speculate about NEG - wouldn't it be far better to speak to us and get a true picture?

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #29 - Jul 17th, 2007 at 12:00pm

OK then Mr K V Simons, what is "the true picture"?   

By the way, who are you?  Do you work for NEG and in which capacity?

Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 50
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge