Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Surgeries charge more for calling (Read 174,635 times)
loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Re: Surgeries charge more for calling
Reply #15 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 4:11pm

David Rose of The Times , who wrote the story on the 23rd July  "Why it will cost more to phone your GP", obtained statements from both Ofcom and the Department of Health (DoH).

He asked them both " why they had stepped in over 0870 and not 0844".   (They took action in 2005 to prevent doctors using 0870 numbers).    These are their answers :----

Ofcom told me the use of 0844 numbers by doctors was "not
appropriate". But it insists that its hands are tied under its legal
remit in the Communications Act 2003 so that it can not prescribe what
numbers businesses and NHS organisations use.

A spokeswoman for Ofcom said: "We stepped in over 0870 numbers because there was a
transparency issue where people did not know how much they were being
charged to call their doctors on 0870. Patients were given little or no
information about what the numbers would cost before they made the call.
There is no such transparency issue with 0844 numbers.

"If there was action to be taken it would need to come from the
Department of Health. There is a danger for us to start meddling in
affairs we have no remit for. We would step in if there was an obvious
complaint where consumers were under a misconception or could not know
how much their calls were costing."  

A Department of Health spokesman said:

"NHS organisations have a duty to ensure that they provide the best
possible service to patients without exploiting them. Ministers wrote to
Primary Care Trusts in December 2006 asking them to take action to
ensure that patients phoning GP practices do not pay more than they
would if they called an area code number.

"GPs should now consider using the 03 numbering range. Introduced
earlier this year, calls to these numbers cost the same as a geographic
call regardless of what type of line the call is made from. They can
also be included in inclusive or low-cost call packages."

Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Sorry - duplicate post
Reply #16 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 5:16pm

Please see post below instead.
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2007 at 5:24pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #17 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 5:24pm

"There is no such transparency issue with 0844 numbers."

Really?

When NEG variously use expressions like, "...cost about the same as before" or "lo-call rates", I doubt whether Mr or Mrs average has a clue how much it costs to call their surgery's 0844 number.

As an example:

(1). How much is the BT 'call set-up fee' when calling an 0844 number?
  • For someone with a residential landline on BT Together Option 1
    - 6p
  • For someone with a residential landline on BT Together Option 2
    - 6p
  • For someone with a residential landline on BT Together Option 3
    - 6p
(2). How much per minute does it cost to call:
  • 0844 620 1234
    (g10 - 3p)
  • 0844 550 2345
    (g 6 - 5p)
  • 0844 633 3456
    (g11 - 4p)
  • 0844 201 4567
    (g22 - ˝p)
  • 0844 042 5678
    (g 5 - 1p)
  • 0844 833 6789
    (g 9 - 2p)
Knowledgeable people on this forum are required to answer without consulting any tables.
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2007 at 7:34pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #18 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 9:24am

Quote:
A Department of Health spokesman said: ........

Loddon, could you please provide a reference for the DOH statement? I would like to relay it to my PCT with whom I have been in correspondence about GPs signing up with NEG.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #19 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 11:31am

Lompos,

these statements were made to David Rose in answer to his questions.   He included them in his full article which, unfortunately, was not published in full.   He has given me permission to use and quote them in our campaign, so you may quote them authoritatively.   David Rose's direct line at The Times is 0207782 7634 if you wish to speak to him.

I would like to know what responses you get from your PCT, mine were pretty hopeless.
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2007 at 6:16pm by DaveM »  
IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #20 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 7:44pm

Hi Loddon

I have been engaged in lenghty correspondence with my PCT about a year ago and my experience is the same as yours.  They washed their hands of the 0870/0844 NEG scam.  However, never before have the DOH made a statement like the one you quoted from David Rose, that is why I would like to obtain an authoritative reference so that I can put it to them. I am taking The Times almost every day but have not come across David Rose's piece (may be I missed it), even if the DOH statement did not appear in full.

Do you have any further information about the DOH statement or, if not, what is David's email address?

Your post on 8 August was also interesting concerning the Leeds couple who were removed from their GP's list becaused they complained about the 0844 scam.  Is there any further information on this which could be put to their PCT in Leeds?

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #21 - Sep 10th, 2007 at 8:07pm

BBC Radio Gloucestershire are intending to broadcast a story/debate about doctors using 0844 numbers tomorrow morning, Tuesday 11th September just after 7 am.   A doctor is apparently lined up to put his side of the case and the BBC will no doubt be seeking views from other people.   The link to Radio Gloucestershire is : ----

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire/ ;  

On the righthand side of the home page is a button to use to listen to the broadcast live over the web.   No doubt those living in the area will be able to tune in on their receivers.

Of course, there is never any guarantee that such a feature will actually be broadcast due to editorial considerations, but we believe there is a very good chance that this item will make it on to the airwaves.

Good listening.

Edited:
Discussion on this broadcast is here.

~ Edited by Dave: Link to discussion thread added
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2007 at 12:18am by Dave »  
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #22 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 9:07pm

Guess what!!!

BBC Radio Bristol are running an item on doctors and their telephone numbers tomorrow, Wed starting just after the 7am news and again after the 8am news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bristol/local_radio/       Ckick on Listen Live.

They told me it is being run as their main local story tomorrow.

The BBC Radio Bristol studio phone-in number is 0117 973 2211.   Also 0117 9238877 may get you through.

Broadcast on 95.5, 94.9 FM and 1548 AM & DAB Radio

Good listening.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #23 - Sep 13th, 2007 at 9:06am

You can watch the BBC Points West broadcast ( about 3 minutes) on this link : ---

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pointswest/

Click on the title "Doctors surgeries under fire" under "TOP STORIES".

Worth watching!

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #24 - Sep 13th, 2007 at 9:16am

Tks Loddon.
And the interview carried the canard that some fancy new revenue-sharing number enabled more people to get through; simply by being a fancy new revenue-sharing number? Gosh, magic as well?

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #25 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 8:20am

Our colleague 'Sherbert' has reported, on another thread that "HORSHAM'S Courtyard Surgery is the latest in the town to switch to a new phone system" : ---

http://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/news/latest-surgery-switchover.3206046.jp

Latest surgery switchover
HORSHAM'S Courtyard Surgery is the latest in the town to switch to a new phone system designed to make it easier for patients to contact their GP.

As of Tuesday September 25, the number that patients need to call will change to               0844 815 1157       .

Explaining the reasons for going ahead with the new system, despite negative reports in the local press, Janet Yeo, Practice Manager at Courtyard Surgery, said: "We are keen to stress to our patients that, despite what has been reported in some news articles, we will not be making a profit from our new phone system.

"It has been introduced solely to ease problems with call congestion.
"Call costs have also been exaggerated and misrepresented and we would like to assure our patients that it should cost them around the same to call the surgery with the new system.
Last Updated: 17 September 2007 9:22 AM

The Courtyard Surgery says this on the Practice website : ---

http://www.courtyardsurgery.com/Court_latest_news.htm

"TELEPHONE SYSTEM
Courtyard Surgery is all set to switch to a high tech phone system in use at 1,200 surgeries across the UK on Tuesday 25th September 2007.

Surgery Line has been developed especially for doctors' surgeries and uses call automation as well as additional phone lines to tackle call congestion.  The system includes a modern switch board with headsets, call recording facilities, and safety equipment for staff. The new numbers are charged at a lo-call rate, equivalent to BT's standard rate of 4.226 pence per minute (4.96 with Vat), making the cost of a 4minute call less than 20 pence.

To make the changeover as smooth as possible, any patients who dial the old number in error will hear a recording with details of the new number they need to call. Our new number, from Tuesday 25th September, will be 0844 815 1157. "

BT's standard rate is 4.226 pence per minute?   Where did they get that?   They are saying "Lo-call rate" yet again ignoring instructions from ASA Ofcom NHS etc.

"phone system in use at 1,200 surgeries across the UK " --- this is claimed by NEG but trawling the NHS website register of GP Practices only shows about 500 are using 0844!

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #26 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 8:55am

loddon wrote on Sep 21st, 2007 at 8:20am:
"phone system in use at 1,200 surgeries across the UK " --- this is claimed by NEG but trawling the NHS website register of GP Practices only shows about 500 are using 0844!

NEG have consistently proven to be utterly shameless liars so why not lie about the number of surgeries too to make it sound as though the use of these numbers is more widely accepted.

As Horsham is only 7 miles from me I'm tempted to knock up some leaflets about why 0844 is not local rate and about the new 03 numbers NEG could have used instead and with the URL of the 10 Downing Street petition and drop them at addresses within about a mile of these two doctors surgeries in Horsham.
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2007 at 8:56am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #27 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 1:46pm

loddon wrote on Sep 21st, 2007 at 8:20am:
Our colleague 'Sherbert' has reported, on another thread that "HORSHAM'S Courtyard Surgery is the latest in the town to switch to a new phone system" . . . . .

I thought I would email this surgery (incidentally it is not mine but fear mine will go over eventually) and point out that their facts are wrong about this paragraph....

"It has been introduced solely to ease problems with call congestion.
"Call costs have also been exaggerated and misrepresented and we would like to assure our patients that it should cost them around the same to call the surgery with the new system.

But guess what? There is no email contact. Yet in the local press some weeks ago it was Roll Eyes said that on line appointments would be an option.

« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2007 at 6:19pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #28 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 6:58pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Sep 21st, 2007 at 8:55am:
As Horsham is only 7 miles from me I'm tempted to knock up some leaflets about why 0844 is not local rate and about the new 03 numbers NEG could have used instead and with the URL of the 10 Downing Street petition and drop them at addresses within about a mile of these two doctors surgeries in Horsham.
All that would be needed is:
  • to clarify that the Surgery's new 0844 costs more than their previous number
  • Calls can in fact cost upto 35p/min from a mobile
  • Calls to 0844 are excluded from any inclusive price plan unlike the surgery's current 01 number
  • It's a revenue sharing number so it's possible that the surgery does receive money from each call
  • Calls can't really be answered sooner unless more staff are available to take more calls

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #29 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 7:12pm

Indeed... you don't want to be on the receiving end of an ASA query, toothless though they are.  Absolute proof of each claim at the time you distribute the leaflet (not afterwards!) is required.  details here.

I just had confirmation from them that they are recommending upholding a complaint re an unpriced 0871 (among other things) on an ad I forwrded them a couple of months back..  So it's definitely going to be worth forwarding all others I come across now..
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2007 at 6:20pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge