Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Surgeries charge more for calling (Read 174,644 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Surgeries charge more for calling
Reply #30 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 8:18pm

Report GPs who claim 0844 is "local rate" to trading standards. I have heard that this works.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #31 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 12:25am

irrelevant wrote on Sep 21st, 2007 at 7:12pm:
Indeed... you don't want to be on the receiving end of an ASA query, toothless though they are.  Absolute proof of each claim at the time you distribute the leaflet (not afterwards!) is required.  details here.

I won't be any advertising anything though will I.  Only providing information. Wink

<div style=

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #32 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 12:35pm

I believe it stil counts; I've seen adjudications against leaflets from various presure groups before..

« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2007 at 6:11pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #33 - Sep 23rd, 2007 at 11:38pm

I suppose it depends how good a friend of the directors of the ASA you are and how often you take them out to lunch in terms of which big businsss complainants about private individuals they listen to. Wink

<div style=

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #34 - Sep 24th, 2007 at 10:49am

A neighbour/friend needed to call the doctor this morning and it took from 8.30 until about 8.57 in order to get through to make the appointment.   Of course it is an 0844 number, but here is the puzzle, she was not put in a queue!    The friend kept getting the engaged tone and had to redial continually.    Having got through the appointment time offered was within 25 minutes, barely time to get to the surgery.

Does anyone know of a similar incident.   This seems to be counter to Mr. Campbell's claim, quoted in many papers and on radio, that one of the main benefits of the NEG 0844 sytem is that " a patient may be put in a queue instead of needing to keep redialling."
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2007 at 10:50am by loddon »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #35 - Sep 24th, 2007 at 3:56pm

That always assumes that your caller was receiving external, e.g. BT, engaged tone and not an internal engaged tone. Redialling for that would cost the call set-up fee and the minimum charge.
Now there's a way for them all to make (even more) money; none of this tying up of costly circuits.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #36 - Sep 24th, 2007 at 4:25pm

Precisely what I was thinking Tanllan after reading the previous post and before reading yours.

It seems this lady may see a large number of short duration calls to a single 0844 number on her next phone bill. Wink Shocked

<div style=

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #37 - Sep 24th, 2007 at 7:58pm

Tks NGMsG. I hardly dare suggest that said lady takes this up with OfCom. I recall that Oftel took a dim view of such applications of tone.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #38 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 12:15am

Tanllan wrote on Sep 24th, 2007 at 7:58pm:
I recall that Oftel took a dim view of such applications of tone.

OFTEL actually made running a blatant scam illegal. Huh Shocked Undecided

Clearly once OFTEL was turned in to Ofcom such blatantly and shamelessly anti monopolistic behaviour by OFTEL was soon brought to an early end by the many telco industry moles that found their way aboard the overpaid Ofcom Gravy Train. Angry Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2007 at 12:16am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #39 - Oct 2nd, 2007 at 8:52am

BBC Breakfast TV carried a report by Graham Satchell today, that some doctors are using 0844 numbers to make patients pay for their new phone systems.

A lady patient, who had lost a leg due to cancer and has to call her doctor frequently, showed her phone bill and complained that calls to her doctor are not included in her prepaid call package.   She said calls to a doctor should be a local call on a local number.

MP Howard Stoate who is a practicing GP was interviewed and was very critical of doctors using 0844.

The practice manager at Coldharbour Surgery in South London said that "using Surgeryline they have done away with the engaged tone when people phone in."

Satchell said that doctors receive 2p per minute from calls to pay for their phone system.

Satchell reported that this contravenes the NHS priciple that NHS services should be "free at the point of use".

Satchell reported that the Gov't said that doctors should look at using the new "03" numbers instead.

The presenters said there had been many comments to the programme about this and they were split between being very critical of doctors, and some comments from a doctor, or doctors, saying that the report was just criticising doctors unfairly.   They only read out one comment at 7.15 from a doctor, and read out no comments at 8.20.
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2007 at 8:57am by loddon »  
IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #40 - Oct 2nd, 2007 at 9:52am

Sounds an interesting and well researched item by BBC standards.

It doesn't sound like they mentioned or gave the URL for the 10 Downing Street petition though? Sad

Of course its fortunate that the BBC's services do not have to be free at the point of delivery.  Otherwise they would need to be asking about the BBC's use of revenue earning 0870 numbers and what is going to happen to them after 1st February 2008. Wink Roll Eyes

<div style=

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #41 - Oct 2nd, 2007 at 10:12am

I had hoped that the BBC would put the Satchell report on their Breakfast TV website together with comments received.    It is not available at present, as far as I can see.    

I called the BBC, using the number in our database for the BBC swtchboard, to ask about this.    I didn't want to call their programme number which is of course 0870 ....      The nice receptionist asked me if I was making an enquiry or a comment about an item on "Breakfast".    I said it was an enquiry so she read out the 0870 number.   I said "well, its more of a comment really" so she read out the same 0870- number!    I said I cannot dial 0870 numbers, can she put me through to the programme staff.    She said no, she could only refer me to the 0870 number.    We then had an extended exchange of views during which she became less "nice" and rather heated and ultimately put the phone down on me.   I remained polite and even throughout.

Thats the BBC for you.
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2007 at 10:13am by loddon »  
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #42 - Oct 2nd, 2007 at 10:28am

NGMsGhost wrote on Oct 2nd, 2007 at 9:52am:
Sounds an interesting and well researched item by BBC standards.

It doesn't sound like they mentioned or gave the URL for the 10 Downing Street petition though? Sad

Of course its fortunate that the BBC's services do not have to be free at the point of delivery.  Otherwise they would need to be asking about the BBC's use of revenue earning 0870 numbers and what is going to happen to them after 1st February 2008. Wink Roll Eyes

Yes, it was well researched, and well presented.   The limitation of this sort of programme is, however, that they cannot give more than a few minutes to a topic.   It is necessarily brief.   There was no time to mention the Petition or the Early Day Motion or even to read out viewers comments, though they did say at 7.15 and again at 8.20 that they had received many comments.   I would really like to see those comments and have emailed the programme asking about them.

The strongest part of the item was the one-legged lady complaining about her telephone bill.   She perfectly illustrates the public's complaint about all this.   We need the DoH, GMC, BMA, Ofcon, PCTs, MPs and doctors all around the country to look at this, take note and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

I am currently contacting the press about this item to see if any of them wish to follow it up with their own story.

Your comment about the BBC is worthy of a campaign all to itself.   If only I had the time I would really like to take the BBC to task on this.    Are there any volunteers out there, ready and willing to plague the hell out of the BBC on this?    I am sure many of us would help.
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2007 at 10:30am by loddon »  
IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #43 - Oct 2nd, 2007 at 10:44am

loddon wrote on Oct 2nd, 2007 at 10:28am:
Your comment about the BBC is worthy of a campaign all to itself.   If only I had the time I would really like to take the BBC to task on this.    Are there any volunteers out there, ready and willing to plague the hell out of the BBC on this?

I think an FOI asking the BBC's plans for its 0870 contact numbers post 1st Feb 2008 is the most appropriate route at the moment.

And then depending on the response (for instance if they intend to move to 5p per minute 0844 or won't say what their plans are) to that FOI a complaint to the BBC Trust's directors would no doubt be the best route to take.

Complaining to the BBC via its normal channels is a waste of time as its main feedback call centre is run by Capita who take a cut on the 0870 numbers.

It was I that added the Belfast geographic number for reaching BBC Information to the database but unfortunately after cheerfully putting calls through to the Capita run BBC Information call centre that operates in a BBC Belfast building without question for some months the switchboard operators were then suddenly given strict instructions from on high that on on account are they to any longer do this and to instead direct callers to the 0870 numbers. Angry Shocked Smiley Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2007 at 6:13pm by DaveM »  

<div style=

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #44 - Oct 2nd, 2007 at 12:45pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Oct 2nd, 2007 at 10:44am:
I think an FOI asking the BBC's plans for its 0870 contact numbers post 1st Feb 2008 is the most appropriate route at the moment.

Surely, seeing as the BBC usually say that they do not make money from 0870 and that it "costs the same to call from anywhere in the country" then they should leave all the 0870s in place because from then they will not be revenue sharing and will "cost the same from anywhere in the country", but do we think that they will?   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2007 at 6:14pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge